Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I firmly believe actual casting on Bond #7 won't begin until there's a script greenlit and director in place.
    Unless that's somehow happened under the radar I seriously doubt the validity of the AJT rumors.
    That's also my opinion, even though I would love to see Taylor Johnson in the role. I'm a little bit afraid that these rumours may, on the contrary, push Eon to test other contenders, to avoid being influenced.

Nah, I don't think they're that easily swayed. It's not like it's a rumour which has gained much traction anyway.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Hopefully 2023 is the year the wheels start turning for Bond 26
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,665
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Hopefully 2023 is the year the wheels start turning for Bond 26

Oh, let’s hope so. Wouldn’t that be grand? Specially with EON’s curriculum of having great films when debuting a new actor.

OHMSS
    LALD
    TLD
    GE
    CR

They haven’t missed one. All of their first films are brilliant, one way or another. So, it’s only natural that we have high hopes for the 26th, even though it’ll be 3 years until we see it in the big screen come Christmas of 2025 (probably).
  • AmericanBondFan1994AmericanBondFan1994 Milford, Michigan
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    DeuxMoi
    Message : Aaron Taylor Johnson is the next Bond. A mini trailer of him doing the famous Bond shot is going to be released March/April 2023 to announce him as the new actor

This is from an Instagram account called DeuxMoi, I have no idea who they are or how reliable they are. Take it with a pinch of salt

I looked at this Instagram account, Can't find the post but I'm going to call rubbish on this.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And if they've decided on the actor, why wait all the way until March/April? The tabloids got to Daniel Craig's Mum days before he was announced... The entire world will know by March/April this time out and there's no real point to an announcement, is there...
    Just realised that I forgot to add Sam Claflin to that list. I quite like him with his new “post implants” hair.

And yes, @peter, you are right. That is clearly fake news.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Good to have @Univex back!!!
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,665
    peter wrote: »
    Good to have @Univex back!!!

Good to read you too, my good friend. Hope all is well! I’m still undecided on really being back, but truth is, I really missed many of you guys! Really did.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Univex , just take it one post at a time. You're thoughtful and insightful and steer away from the negative.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Saw this earlier:

Screenshot-20221207-170206.jpg
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    ^If anybody can get a copy, let us know!
    I have noticed Dirisu is getting a bit of buzz around being a potential Bond outside of these forums. We'll have to see if that has any impact. Like I hinted at in my last post about ATJ, I do think the shorter the odds are, the less likely it's going to happen.

Oh, and those are actually Dirisu's words, by the way:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/sope-dirisu-gangs-of-london-james-bond-1235257925/
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 3,333
    Well... David Mouriquand, a journalist and film critic, who now writes for the Euronews, claims that:
    This news was given more credence by mysterious celebrity gossip Instagram account Deuxmoi (who have a knack for breaking celeb news).
    Now, I'm not saying he's right, but he does appear to endorse this mysterious Deuxmoi's credability at getting a major scoop. Maybe there's more to Aaron Taylor-Johnson's rumour than people want to believe.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    If it was true, would this be the quickest a new James Bond has been announced following the previous actor’s final film? I’m unaware of how quickly other Bonds were announced.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Brosnan was announced in '86. 😉
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 94
    talos7 wrote: »
    I agree on Hoult, why do you think he would not get a screentest?
    I don't know, maybe he is already a bit too famous for the role? He even has over a million followers on Instagram.

Also, besides Hoult, I would like to see Richard Madden getting a screentest, too.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Denbigh wrote: »
    If it was true, would this be the quickest a new James Bond has been announced following the previous actor’s final film? I’m unaware of how quickly other Bonds were announced.

That's true mate but I suppose NTTD was finished by October 2019. So if the new actor is announced in 2023, it'll be a slower turn round than it was for Pierce last film to Daniel being announced
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    This is off-topic, but can someone give a general overview over the stages of script development? When is a script greenlit? Is that the shooting script?

I’m asking because it seems like they went into pre-production and sometimes even production of the last few films with unfinished scripts (infamously, SP‘s climax had to happen on Westminster Bridge because they’d already built the set, but then the reason for it was cut and they had to come up with a new one). So if we try to devine a timeline for B26, what stage of s script are we looking at before they decide on an actor - assuming they stay with script -> director -> actor and don’t switch that around.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 2,753
    This is off-topic, but can someone give a general overview over the stages of script development? When is a script greenlit? Is that the shooting script?

I’m asking because it seems like they went into pre-production and sometimes even production of the last few films with unfinished scripts (infamously, SP‘s climax had to happen on Westminster Bridge because they’d already built the set, but then the reason for it was cut and they had to come up with a new one). So if we try to devine a timeline for B26, what stage of s script are we looking at before they decide on an actor - assuming they stay with script -> director -> actor and don’t switch that around.

Technically a script is 'greenlit' most of the time when the pitch or spec script entices investors and they agree to put up money for it.

Obviously with Bond there's a difference because it's an established property and already has investors attached. The script will still have to go through the basic stages though - fleshing out ideas with writers/producers, writing a treatment, and then churning out the various drafts. Producers will offer notes at each stage, and they'll rewrite accordingly. Directors are generally hired quite quickly into the process, usually when the script is still going through later drafts so they can get pre-production going quickly as possible. Generally speaking though by that point I think they'll have a solid idea of the story and have the ability to prepare.

Technically a script is only a blueprint for a film anyway. There are always numerous changes when it comes to actually shooting these scenes, whether it be changes in dialogue, an actor improvising something and the director incorporating it... hell, perhaps even a location falls through or something more major. SP is an unfortunate circumstance with much that went on behind the scenes, but there'll always be some sort of difference between the shooting script and what ends up onscreen.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Well... David Mouriquand, a journalist and film critic, who now writes for the Euronews, claims that:
    This news was given more credence by mysterious celebrity gossip Instagram account Deuxmoi (who have a knack for breaking celeb news).
    Now, I'm not saying he's right, but he does appear to endorse this mysterious Deuxmoi's credability at getting a major scoop. Maybe there's more to Aaron Taylor-Johnson's rumour than people want to believe.

Oh, fingers crossed then. Thanks for the update, @bondsum.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    bondsum wrote: »

Deuxmoi has some odd disclaimers:
    DEUXMOI.WORLD PUBLISHES RUMORS & CONJECTURE, NOT FACTS. IN ADDITION TO INFORMATION REPORTED DIRECTLY FROM SOURCES, CERTAIN CHARACTERS, SITUATIONS, AND EVENTS PORTRAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE EITHER PRODUCTS OF THE AUTHORS IMAGINATION OR CONJECTURE. INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE MAY CONTAIN INACCURACIES. THE PROPRIETOR OF THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT MAKE WARRANTY AS TO THE RELIABILITY, VALIDITY OR CORRECTNESS OF THE CONTENT OF THE SITE’S CONTENT OR OF THE INFORMATION SENT DIRECTLY FROM SOURCES.

'Imagination or conjecture' sounds like they make stuff up! :)

And on Instagram:
    "this account does not claim information published is based in fact."

Almost sounds more like some sort of art project than journalism. I don't think I'm going to buy it just yet.

007HallY wrote: »
    I have noticed Dirisu is getting a bit of buzz around being a potential Bond outside of these forums. We'll have to see if that has any impact. Like I hinted at in my last post about ATJ, I do think the shorter the odds are, the less likely it's going to happen.

Oh, and those are actually Dirisu's words, by the way:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/sope-dirisu-gangs-of-london-james-bond-1235257925/

Heh! That's funny that some were saying on this very thread that ATJ's being mentioned as a Bond candidate makes him less likely to get it, and here's one of the candidates saying exactly that! :D
    At least it sounds like he's up for it, that's refreshing. Both of the guys we've spent the last few pages talking about have sounded pretty lukewarm on the 007 idea before.
  • StarkStark France
    edited December 2022 Posts: 177
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, Henry Cavill is unlikely to reprise his role as Superman. He is therefore no longer linked to any major franchise. Do you think what I think ?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Stark wrote: »
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, Henry Cavill is unlikely to reprise his role as Superman. He is therefore no longer linked to any major franchise. Do you think what I think ?

Really? I was under the impression that all the wheels had been set in motion for Cavill's return to DC. Either way, I don't think it means anything, if the HR article is true. (Can you link me to it? I can't find it.)
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I'd rather have Hoult than Cavill. Coming from me that says a lot.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    If they re-wrote it after Craig was cast, i'm curious to know what was altered. Because to me, CR feels like it was written for a younger actor, and then not changed when Craig was cast. It all feels jarring, Bond comes off as immature to have had been a former SBS operative.

Interestingly the dossier has him as training with the SBS but he didn't actually serve with them. I always think the same too, but he serves with another special forces unit, which I think may be fictional and named after Fleming's war unit.

Is that dossier still available anywhere to read? Because now I am genuinely curious to know what his military back round is. I read it back around the time of CR, but I don't remember the specifics anymore.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Stark wrote: »

Really? I was under the impression that all the wheels had been set in motion for Cavill's return to DC. Either way, I don't think it means anything, if the HR article is true. (Can you link me to it? I can't find it.)

@DarthDimi ...things are a little up in the air at WB with Gunn and Safran taking over. Patty Jenkins' outline for WW3 was declined, and there's buzz that they don't want Jenkins at all, and; they may even recast Gal... This is connected to SM because there was light, yet unsubstantiated rumours that Cavill also won't return, despite Cavill saying he's back (if I'm correct on this: he announced his return BEFORE Safran and Gunn were hired).

Deadline just reported that everyone is in the dark and for SM in particular they still haven't moved on a writer/script or a director, which is concerning for Cavill's Superman (he's 40 and these films take a couple of years to make, so time is ticking).

Then there's Duane Johnson reporting (some would say desperately), that his BA is projected just to be in the black, and he compared his potential franchise to Captain America's (lowish box office for thefirst film), saying he's building this brand one step at a time.

So Cavill's dismissal so far is unsubstantiated (at least as of this writing), but shade has been cast and the two new leaders at WB aren't revealing their cards which is making a few people, and their projects, sweat it out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    If they re-wrote it after Craig was cast, i'm curious to know what was altered. Because to me, CR feels like it was written for a younger actor, and then not changed when Craig was cast. It all feels jarring, Bond comes off as immature to have had been a former SBS operative.

Interestingly the dossier has him as training with the SBS but he didn't actually serve with them. I always think the same too, but he serves with another special forces unit, which I think may be fictional and named after Fleming's war unit.

Is that dossier still available anywhere to read? Because now I am genuinely curious to know what his military back round is. I read it back around the time of CR, but I don't remember the specifics anymore.

Sure, some random website or other saved it ;)

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_007_dossier1
  • QsCatQsCat London
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Saw this earlier:

Screenshot-20221207-170206.jpg

God, that James Bond reference in the cover is the equivalent to clickbait..

• QsCatQsCat London
    I'd rather have Hoult than Cavill. Coming from me that says a lot.

I wouldn’t want Hoult as Bond, but I would at least be intrigued to see if it could work, see how he’d play the part! He has been in quite a few good films, but I wouldn’t say he himself was especially great in them. A Single Man for example.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    As others have noted, a lot of these guys carry themselves like boys, not men. With Sope, however, there's a weight and a presence to him even when he's still. It sets him apart from all of them. Genuinely not trying to reignite the last round of rancour, but I've always been of the opinion that Bond is a white character and should therefore be played by a white actor. However, I'm also of the opinion that the best man for a job should get that job. Hands up: I think Sope's the best man for the job.