Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Craig was really too old for the character as written in CR, but that didn't stop them.

Was he? I got the impression that he had already had a military career prior to moving on to mi6, so 30-something struck me as appropriate. Or am I wrong?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Craig was really too old for the character as written in CR, but that didn't stop them.

Was he? I got the impression that he had already had a military career prior to moving on to mi6, so 30-something struck me as appropriate. Or am I wrong?

That's the vibe I had too. He's clearly established as a Commander later on so his prior military service seemed confirmed without having to show it. Mid-to-late 30s at the time of filming of CR seems reasonable.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 2,750

I think the main reason why some people say Craig was too old for the version of the character in CR is because Bond is portrayed as more of a loose cannon. He did stuff like break into M's flat in order to gain information, disobey orders etc. We'd sort of seen it before in the series in LTK and DAD granted, but not quite to this extent. In a way Bond having that 'ends justifies the means' mentality and approach to his work is more akin to Jack Bauer than Fleming's 'blunt instrument' of a secret agent. His Bond in that film has an arrogant streak and even makes a quip about only sleeping with married women. Again, not out of the ordinary for the character but it ones up what we've seen in the past. It's natural to think that sort of personality would be that of a younger rookie than a seasoned professional.

For what it's worth I never saw it like that. To do all those things Bond really needed a lot of life experience, both personal and professional. The implication is that 00 agents are already seasoned agents of some sort anyway with little life outside of their work, and that 'loose cannon' element of Craig Bond's personality is always there throughout his five films. It's not like that version of Bond was the one from earlier drafts of CR who had never worn a tuxedo and was fresh out of the SAS. So yeah, I always saw Craig's age as appropriate (mid to late 30s, which I guess is what Fleming's Bond was anyway in that first novel).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think they wrote around it to suit Craig: the dossier on the website would certainly only have been created after he was cast.
    The whole film was about a youngish Bond, that was the point of it. And they tested Cavill for it too when he was 22. I think ideally they were probably after someone around 30 or early 30s.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's like the height thing, don't just cast the tallest man, don't just cast the youngest man for the sake of it.
    Cast the best man for the job as always
    For sure. From what I can tell they were planning to go even younger in early drafts and have a Bond in his 20s (which explains Cavill, although I think they came to the conclusion he was too young somewhat ironically). I guess it was more 'Bond begins' earlier on than what we eventually got. But yes, all the other actors screen-tested seem to have been in their early 30s or so. So Craig was older and a bit of an outlier in a way. I'm not sure if they radically rewrote the script or if elements such as Bond not having worn a tuxedo were already being filtered out, but I think you're right to some extent that they wrote around Craig. Then again that's not unusual in the later rewrites and once they cast an actor...

Still though, it does seem this time round they're a bit more conscious of Bond needing to be (or at least come across as) a bit older. Perhaps they learnt that from a combination of the CR rewrites and eventually casting Craig. Anyway, like I say it's possible we'll get an actor this time who's 40 even if they're starting from the concept of a younger Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If they re-wrote it after Craig was cast, i'm curious to know what was altered. Because to me, CR feels like it was written for a younger actor, and then not changed when Craig was cast. It all feels jarring, Bond comes off as immature to have had been a former SBS operative.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't say I followed the production enough at the time (the days when I only knew what to expect thanks to a trailer) to have been privy to all that but I completely get the feelings about that. That should put my next viewing in a more revealing light.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If they re-wrote it after Craig was cast, i'm curious to know what was altered. Because to me, CR feels like it was written for a younger actor, and then not changed when Craig was cast. It all feels jarring, Bond comes off as immature to have had been a former SBS operative.

I agree. Given his age and his career history by that point, his professional disposition and attitude seemed off and as you said immature. Someone above made a comparison to Jack Bauer which I sort of get but Bauer wasn't immature and his actions felt in line with an experienced CTU agent who had seen it all and was justified in his actions to get the job done as he was surrounded by self-serving beaurocrats and traitors...God, I miss 24.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 3,333
    Another excellent post by @Univex. I too had a soft spot for Aidan Turner as Bond but it appears the producers are looking to cast someone much younger this time round. Logistically, it makes sense as they'll get a few more years from the actor playing Bond if they do cast younger. That's if everything goes according to plan and the "chosen one" is a rip-roaring success when the first movie comes out.

Personally, I'm now leaning more towards Nicholas Hoult as the next Bond.
    doubleoego wrote: »

I agree. Given his age and his career history by that point, his professional disposition and attitude seemed off and as you said immature. Someone above made a comparison to Jack Bauer which I sort of get but Bauer wasn't immature and his actions felt in line with an experienced CTU agent who had seen it all and was justified in his actions to get the job done as he was surrounded by self-serving beaurocrats and traitors...God, I miss 24.

I really enjoyed 24's first three series. Wasn't a fan of anything beyond that. I remember it got really silly later on with characters who'd already died re-appearing through plot contrivances, and Bauer's family being thrown into the mix as villains.

Anyway, I'd say it depends on how you view CR's version of Bond. Personally, I can see Craig's Bond having been a young Navy officer who excelled, but wasn't always fond of his superiors and following orders just because he was required to. He's clearly a man whose job is his highest priority, so he probably has little personal life beyond sleeping around with various women. In a sense he'd be a mixture of being outwardly professional as a deadly assassin/agent, but in other ways emotionally immature and even arrogant. Again, it's not completely unlike Fleming's Bond in CR. I think it works personally.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Interestingly the dossier has him as training with the SBS but he didn't actually serve with them. I always think the same too, but he serves with another special forces unit, which I think may be fictional and named after Fleming's war unit.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Another excellent post by @Univex. I too had a soft spot for Aidan Turner as Bond but it appears the producers are looking to cast someone much younger this time round. Logistically, it makes sense as they'll get a few more years from the actor playing Bond if they do cast younger. That's if everything goes according to plan and the "chosen one" is a rip-roaring success when the first movie comes out.

Personally, I'm now leaning more towards Nicholas Hoult as the next Bond.

Thank you, @bondsum, my friend. I will also be a happy fan if they cast Nic Hoult. I've been saying he's a talent since About a boy.
    DeuxMoi
    Message : Aaron Taylor Johnson is the next Bond. A mini trailer of him doing the famous Bond shot is going to be released March/April 2023 to announce him as the new actor

This is from an Instagram account called DeuxMoi, I have no idea who they are or how reliable they are. Take it with a pinch of salt
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Having checked out said account on Instagram I'm going to say fake news.
    Shocking. Positively shocking.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,448
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    DeuxMoi
    Message : Aaron Taylor Johnson is the next Bond. A mini trailer of him doing the famous Bond shot is going to be released March/April 2023 to announce him as the new actor

This is from an Instagram account called DeuxMoi, I have no idea who they are or how reliable they are. Take it with a pinch of salt

More like with an ocean of salt. I have learned from the past that nothing is to be trusted unless BB and/or MGW commit it to an official press release. The Internet is full of crap, where someone's wishful thinking is sold as hard truth.

The only thing I can't wrap my head around is why people enjoy creating false film buzz so much. Click-bait and whatnot? Sure, but in the end, you're only sure of loyal readers if they know that you're not full of the ugly four-letter word.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    The only thing I can't wrap my head around is why people enjoy creating false film buzz so much. Click-bait and whatnot? Sure, but in the end, you're only sure of loyal readers if they know that you're not full of the ugly four-letter word.

I think it's part of the gamification thing of social media: part of it is to get 'likes' as if they're points in a video game; related to that is to want to create impact, to see other people react to what you've done.
    Then you have the other rumourmongers like the folks making stuff up about the Indiana Jones film to try and enrage people: that's done purely for money, as they're making cash from their YouTube lies channels. They are, as goes the popular parlance, grifters, pure and simple.

I saw this account posting that 'news' about ATJ on Twitter a few days ago, but they don't say where this 'message' is supposed to originate from: just writing something down doesn't make it true.
    DeuxMoi

Actually I'd say that little tidbit confirms something...

Johnson almost definitely won't be the next Bond.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Yeah, ATJ himself must be fuming - DeuxMoi have probably just scuppered him with EON, for sure! :D
    Wrong thread.
    I am not familiar with his work but I think he could be a great bond….

I will see myself out
    007HallY wrote: »
    DeuxMoi

Why?

If I create a fake account and start spreading fake news about every imaginable Bond candidate, none will be the next Bond? If someone spreads fake news about me, they will affect the course of my life, my social perception, honour and eventually, my fate? Yes, I guess these are the times we live in. Cmon, this is not South Korea, where simple bullying rumours affect actors careers. Is it? Have we come to this? A random dude on instagram says ATJ will be Bond, and so this rules him out?

I think it's part of the gamification thing of social media: part of it is to get 'likes' as if they're points in a video game; related to that is to want to create impact, to see other people react to what you've done.
    Then you have the other rumourmongers like the folks making stuff up about the Indiana Jones film to try and enrage people: that's done purely for money, as they're making cash from their YouTube lies channels. They are, as goes the popular parlance, grifters, pure and simple.

I saw this account posting that 'news' about ATJ on Twitter a few days ago, but they don't say where this 'message' is supposed to originate from: just writing something down doesn't make it true.

Interestingly, 'likes' also produce endorphine-type molecules which provide hormonal rewards to the receiver, not unlike the runner's high and orgasms. It's why we check our phones every 2 minutes to see if someone finally sent us a reply. It's why we refresh pages hoping to have scored some buzz. It's addictive.
    Benny wrote: »
    Having checked out said account on Instagram I'm going to say fake news.
    Shocking. Positively shocking.

9908afab-23a3-41da-a2e1-1caf33be7273_text.gif
    Sorry about sharing it in that case guys.

If ATJ has actually been screentested, I wonder if there has been others tested as well, that we haven't heard yet?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    James Mangold recently went off on this type of thing.
    I firmly believe actual casting on Bond #7 won't begin until there's a script greenlit and director in place.
    Unless that's somehow happened under the radar I seriously doubt the validity of the AJT rumors.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I firmly believe actual casting on Bond #7 won't begin until there's a script greenlit and director in place.
    Unless that's somehow happened under the radar I seriously doubt the validity of the AJT rumors.

Yeah, that's where I come from too. Also the original news source is not reliable.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    That's also my opinion, even though I would love to see Taylor Johnson in the role. I'm a little bit afraid that these rumours may, on the contrary, push Eon to test other contenders, to avoid being influenced.
    Univex wrote: »
    DeuxMoi

Why?

If I create a fake account and start spreading fake news about every imaginable Bond candidate, none will be the next Bond? If someone spreads fake news about me, they will affect the course of my life, my social perception, honour and eventually, my fate? Yes, I guess these are the times we live in. Cmon, this is not South Korea, where simple bullying rumours affect actors careers. Is it? Have we come to this? A random dude on instagram says ATJ will be Bond, and so this rules him out?

For the record I was being flippant. I just think it’s unlikely that the next Bond will be rumoured this early in the process. I think there will be better candidates anyway so ATJ is unlikely to get the part.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Word on the street is that the rumor was planted by Aidan Turner’s agent.
    Univex wrote: »
    DeuxMoi

Why?

For the record I was being flippant. I just think it’s unlikely that the next Bond will be rumoured this early in the process. I think there will be better candidates anyway so ATJ is unlikely to get the part.

Oh, ok then ;) Gotta ya.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Word on the street is that the rumor was planted by Aidan Turner’s agent.

That cheeky b. He did the same thing for his man Clive Owen back in the day. Never learns.

Kidding, of course.

One does crave for real news after all these shenanigans. But I guess there won't be any for quite some time. And that's the most likely truth to it all.