Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Cavill cannot act, my opinion always. Turner on the other hand can act and although Peter has a point to a certain degree, to me it's not an off putting way of acting. The most important aspect, is an actor believable, in regards to Turner it's a solid yes. In regards to Cavill, not really, mostly hollow. Ymmv.

Agreed.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 94
    peter wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult, who’s so charming and likeable, but I could see him unleashing a measured intensity when called upon. Perhaps the actor closest to having a Moore’esque way about him.
    I agree, I think he could provide a fresh take on the role. Also, he already appeared in both humorous and more serious roles/movies. Would like to see him at least getting a screen test, however, I don't think it will happen...

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,889
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult, who’s so charming and likeable, but I could see him unleashing a measured intensity when called upon. Perhaps the actor closest to having a Moore’esque way about him.
    I agree, I think he could provide a fresh take on the role. Also, he already appeared in both humorous and more serious roles/movies. Would like to see him at least getting a screen test, however, I don't think it will happen...

I agree on Hoult, why do you think he would not get a screentest? He was runner up for the lead in “The Batman “ so he’s on the radar and obviously isn’t adverse to a large franchise.

gpKA6Ca.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think he'd have made a better Batman than Pattinson (although he was still very good).

I'd be happy to see him as Bond if it went that way.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Kanye West has proposed himself in the past. Can we rule him out?
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.soycarmin.com%2F__export%2F1444326710497%2Fsites%2Fdebate%2Fimg%2Fcelebs%2F2015%2F10%2F08%2Fkanye-bond.jpg_242310155.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=160f596ac3b78762857adb578a575691aa653a2fb5654d51f9363b41e8f124a0&ipo=images
    Or would it be too woke?

The next US President, and the next Bond?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Forever And A Ye
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Craigs lacks both the daring, suave aspect of bond as well as the humour/irreverent aspect and that's why I think turner is the ideal choice to take over the role. bond fans are all dying for a film with a proper gunbarrel at the start, a roaring rendition of the bond theme layered throughout, an actual up-beat song for once and a fully capable, modern bond. We need someone with the same showman qualities of Moore, Brosnan and Connery, who are as good as ambassadors as they are playing him on screen, and you can clearly see how aidan turner is the most self-depricating, down to earth gent you're ever likely to meet from his interviews. I think if The Suspect, Poldark and ATTWN have shown us anything its that Turner has all the commanding presence to pull off bond, he has the dangerous aura mixed with a cheery, affable demeanour, perfect to play both the outward facing facade who charms at parties and the inward calculating mind that drinks alone in his hotel room at 2am.

Welcome back after some absence, dear @Mendes4Lyfe You are a 1000% on point, like the page count, nearly, of this rather interesting thread. I couldn't have written it better. Hopefully EoN realises this as well and ditch the younger Bond route. At about 40 Turner is perfect.

I have to hand it to you two, keeping this up for, what is it, three, four years now? Is quite impressive. I actually at one point thought you guys were one..

But dispite your tenacity as fand pulling the bandwagon, I still don't see it. I just don't think he's good enough, and your assessment that fans need a 'lighter' Bond, is not one I share. Craig had plenty of humour, a bit too much in the last two films if you ask me. Aidan is just too lightweight imo. Same goes for Cavill. I don't think he's a bad actor, far from it. But he isn't that good either, risking a rather two-dimensional Bond. That was, in the end, also Brosnan's problem and though that worked in the nineties, that day and age is long gone.

I'm glad by now some other names are popping up, and both Aaron Taylor Johnson and Theo James seem interesting enough to be considered. But I haven't seen enough of them to make up my mind at all. ATJ sure has the look though and I wouldn't mind someone with a less bulky look. After all, the literary Bond was strong, but not overtly so. Allthough I'll leave the expertese on training over to the @talos7 's of this world, who know far more about it than me.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Even if I would like certain actors to get the role, I feel so at ease...because I'm not particularly bent on a candidate. It's the best way to anticipate Bond 7's casting.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Craigs lacks both the daring, suave aspect of bond as well as the humour/irreverent aspect and that's why I think turner is the ideal choice to take over the role. bond fans are all dying for a film with a proper gunbarrel at the start, a roaring rendition of the bond theme layered throughout, an actual up-beat song for once and a fully capable, modern bond. We need someone with the same showman qualities of Moore, Brosnan and Connery, who are as good as ambassadors as they are playing him on screen, and you can clearly see how aidan turner is the most self-depricating, down to earth gent you're ever likely to meet from his interviews. I think if The Suspect, Poldark and ATTWN have shown us anything its that Turner has all the commanding presence to pull off bond, he has the dangerous aura mixed with a cheery, affable demeanour, perfect to play both the outward facing facade who charms at parties and the inward calculating mind that drinks alone in his hotel room at 2am.

Welcome back after some absence, dear @Mendes4Lyfe You are a 1000% on point, like the page count, nearly, of this rather interesting thread. I couldn't have written it better. Hopefully EoN realises this as well and ditch the younger Bond route. At about 40 Turner is perfect.

I have to hand it to you two, keeping this up for, what is it, three, four years now? Is quite impressive. I actually at one point thought you guys were one..

But dispite your tenacity as fand pulling the bandwagon, I still don't see it. I just don't think he's good enough, and your assessment that fans need a 'lighter' Bond, is not one I share. Craig had plenty of humour, a bit too much in the last two films if you ask me. Aidan is just too lightweight imo. Same goes for Cavill. I don't think he's a bad actor, far from it. But he isn't that good either, risking a rather two-dimensional Bond. That was, in the end, also Brosnan's problem and though that worked in the nineties, that day and age is long gone.

I'm glad by now some other names are popping up, and both Aaron Taylor Johnson and Theo James seem interesting enough to be considered. But I haven't seen enough of them to make up my mind at all. ATJ sure has the look though and I wouldn't mind someone with a less bulky look. After all, the literary Bond was strong, but not overtly so. Allthough I'll leave the expertese on training over to the @talos7 's of this world, who know far more about it than me.

A very reasonable post and I assure you we are two different people, haha. I have to be honest and thought the same about other members here, but was proven incorrect. All good.

One big happy Bond family now.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,318
    A 1000 pages of casting madness, which started June 2011 by a certain mr. @DaltonCraig007 who thought David Coulthard should be the next Bond. Fast forward to December 2022 and still all bets are off, the hunt continues!

Anyone fancy a glass of Bollinger? Perhaps a Martini, or merely a Heineken? Come on gents, time to feast!

ezgif-5-b6063d7fa7.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007 is dearly missed around these parts.

I wonder how likely it is that we'll know who the next Bond is by this time next year.
    I still find it strange that fans were already thinking about Bond 7, even before Craig got to half of his era. I don't remember that happening when Brosnan was Bond. Maybe fans couldn't see beyond Brosnan at the time.
    I still find it strange that fans were already thinking about Bond 7, even before Craig got to half of his era. I don't remember that happening when Brosnan was Bond. Maybe fans couldn't see beyond Brosnan at the time.

I was thinking of it 5 mins into GE!!

The worry that Craig's era had an air of instability to it in terms of behind the scenes shenanigans had something to do with that. I don't think it had much to do with Craig himself.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's crazy because before I left this place all I ever heard about was how turner was too baby-faced to be bond, and now he's aged a bit and put on some muscle suddenly he's "too old". Sometimes it feels like people secretly know he's right for the part so they just look any excuse they can to rule him out. Well it's important to remember that performance plays a role in how actor is perceived - roger Moore was able to pull off his cheeky, eyebrow raising persona into his late 50's because he just had it nailed so well, whereas Daniel was an "old grumpy bulldog" by his mid 40's because his real life image leaks into the script and his bond had no vigour or exuberance about him, didn't seem to ever enjoy himself. That's why its silly to talk about age as some kind of defining benchmark, because charisma doesn't fade, and youth will never be a substitute for it, or we wouldn't still have 80 year old harrison ford running around with his whip and hat, and 60 year old tom cruise flying fighter jets. If you watch any interviews of turner you can clearly tell he is like the grown up kid that Moore and brosnan were, constantly cracking jokes and making light of things, that's exactly what the franchise needs from this point, we want classic bond back, where he actually completes his mission with a smile and no matter how dire things get always has an extra trick up his sleeve. people say "oh you want classic bond but with a modern actor?" like it's a contradiction, but really the fans just want the same thing we've always wanted someone who can make the classic bond work in the modern age - that's turner down to a tee, just like brosnan was THAT GUY for the mid nineties. No one ever asked for a dramatic reinvention of the character, no one demanded that every trope, every tie of familiarity to the series legacy be broken unitl being the most bond is to be anti-bond. having bond not see his mission out, not make it out, not bed the girl in the end was the final sacrement and they completely destroyed it like they were breaking the tape at the end of a marathon. now there's only two courses the franchise can take, either they reconnect with the legacy and spirit of what Cubby Saltzman Fleming created and begin to produce crowd pleasing films that deserve to have the bond theme played over them again, or they fully disappear into the post-modern ideological abyss and hire rege jean page as bond. If top gun maverick proved anything, it's that the appetite for pure cinematic revelry still exists, and if anything people are more hungry for it than ever.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    If you watch any interviews of turner you can clearly tell he is like the grown up kid that Moore and brosnan were, constantly cracking jokes and making light of things, that's exactly what the franchise needs from this point, we want classic bond back, where he actually completes his mission with a smile and no matter how dire things get always has an extra trick up his sleeve.

I'd say Craig is like that in interviews; moreso than Brosnan who can often be quite actorly. I'm not sure interviews give a great idea of how someone will play a role.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,969
    mtm wrote: »
    If you watch any interviews of turner you can clearly tell he is like the grown up kid that Moore and brosnan were, constantly cracking jokes and making light of things, that's exactly what the franchise needs from this point, we want classic bond back, where he actually completes his mission with a smile and no matter how dire things get always has an extra trick up his sleeve.

I'd say Craig is like that in interviews; moreso than Brosnan who can often be quite actorly. I'm not sure interviews give a great idea of how someone will play a role.

Every bond actor eventually ends up playing a version of themselves onscreen. maybe in their first film they treat it more as a "role", but eventually their offscreen personality seeps in, roger moore was naturally affable and self deprecating so his bond became that way, Craig is naturally grumpy and irritable, peirce was smooth etc. It's partly why I think for a role like Bond acting ability becomes irrelevant since its more about how you carry yourself and the aura you give off, which is how lazenby was able to get the role despite barely acting at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »

Every bond actor eventually ends up playing a version of themselves onscreen. maybe in their first film they treat it more as a "role", but eventually their offscreen personality seeps in, roger moore was naturally affable and self deprecating so his bond became that way, Craig is naturally grumpy and irritable, peirce was smooth etc. It's partly why I think for a role like Bond acting ability becomes irrelevant since its more about how you carry yourself and the aura you give off, which is how lazenby was able to get the role despite barely acting at all.

No, they really are all acting when they're playing Bond. Craig is quite giggly in interviews; have you seen him do them? Alternatively Poldark never lightened up over several series, despite Turner's apparently sunnier outlook on life.
    Even in interviews these people are giving performances in a way.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,282
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I was thinking of it 5 mins into GE!!
    Lol. That's funny though.

The worry that Craig's era had an air of instability to it in terms of behind the scenes shenanigans had something to do with that. I don't think it had much to do with Craig himself.
    Yeah, true. Not Craig's fault for sure. Just the limbo-like way of things gave that thought to fans.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    1000 pages in and we are still a long way off Bond #7's casting. Hopefully 2023 will be the year
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    1000 pages in and we are still a long way off Bond #7's casting. Hopefully 2023 will be the year
    I am glad you said the year cause I was like wait 2023 pages till eon finally announces the next 007
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Mendes4Lyfe
    Turner is too baby-faced and too old in my opinion, and yes, that's possible. ;-)
    I don't "secretly feel that he's right for the job and then rule him out". If he was right for the job IMO, I'd be advocating that he be considered for it. There is no childish conspiracy going on here, although I will admit that Turner was shoved in my face a bit too much a few years ago. He was presented as this messiah of the Bond actors, and given how dull I find him to be, that worshipping struck me as odd and, after many weeks / months of seeing the Turner cult rise to promotional extremes, things became irritating. I almost started to hate Turner in response. How childish of me. I don't mind the man as an actor. But I don't think he's Bond material, is all.
    For me, it's less to do with "they look baby-faced" and more of what they're telling us. If they're searching for someone in their early 30s, that eliminates a lot of the choices we've been discussing the last several hundred pages. It's refreshing seeing the topic turn to some newer candidates as a result.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agree with @DarthDimi ... If I thought Aidan Turner was Bond material, seen through my eyes, I'd state it, and not hide my feelings about him.

Unfortunately I too find him bland and stagey and I don't want to see that in Bond.

No harm, no foul.
    I'm still only familiar with Turner through the progressively downhill Hobbit Trilogy, which isn't the best audition for the role.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Creasy47 , he was terrible, but, I don’t think anyone was good in those films.

Poldark can be seen on Apple TV and seek out And Then There Were None. He shows up better in these two projects.

Poldark can be seen on Apple TV and seek out And Then There Were None. He shows up better in these two projects.

I think And Then There Were None is the consistent recommendation I've seen on here. I still need to check it out but I remember prioritizing it more a couple of years back when his casting seemed slightly more plausible.

And yeah, definitely no award winners in that trilogy, despite some actors I loved returning from LOTR.
    Turner's best "audition" for me was The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot.

The movies were sh-t, Turner wasn't. Fixed it for you. Ha.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Agree with @DarthDimi ... If I thought Aidan Turner was Bond material, seen through my eyes, I'd state it, and not hide my feelings about him.

Unfortunately I too find him bland and stagey and I don't want to see that in Bond.

No harm, no foul.

Glad I'm not the only one, @peter. I don't dislike Turner, I have nothing against him, but people can repeat his name as often as they want to, I don't see him as Bond and quite surely never will.