Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dan Stevens for me but he's now 40. Awesome acor, can change into any character. Depends if they're going young and if they will ignore this woke soya Hollywood era, that's destroyed Star Wars, Star Trek and Marvel Phase 4 lol.

I remember a lot of fans were wanting him to play Bond after that thriller he was in, The Guest.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Theo James is still high on my list; he has an excellent voice and Conneryesque eyebrows.

• Young Guy Ritchie would have been a good Bond.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    talos7 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @NickTwentyTwo if someone posts a candidate they find interesting as Bond, isn’t one also allowed to say, “just doesn’t do it for me?”. I don’t think @talos7 was disrespectful.

I myself got in hot water with another poster for calling this same man (in the above photos), “more banker than Bond”, or something like that.

I think the members here should be free to react to suggestions, whether pro or con, so long as they’re not being derogatory and demeaning.

Absolutely I did not mean to be disrespectful. Without a doubt, for various reasons, this topic has gone off the rails, and it wasn't my intent to offend. My response was meant to be tongue in cheek. The actor in the photo has a very interesting look but , in my eyes, not Bond. Believe me, I've had some very snarky comments directed towards some of my picks. In the past, Harry Styles has ben my dark horse; you can imagine some of the comments that followed. Some were brutal, but not mean spirited. Some were pretty funny

@NickTwentyTwo I meant no offense. Feel free to comment on how you feel about Harry. :D

Fair enough, my bad.
  • ByRoyalDecree has posted those photos twice now without giving a name. And a reverse image search turns up nothing. I think they are pictures of him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »
    So far, I have read several comments stating that "I can't see him as Bond" regarding a particular actor. Part of the fun, for me at least, is looking for an actor's hidden potential, something the Bond films might be able to unearth. Take Craig, for example. I had seen him in a few things and, in retrospect, he already showed some of his Bondian qualities in those things. But CR really showcased Craig's phenomenal talents in ways I hadn't seen before. So, who knows, ATJ might actually be able to give us a great Bond by digging just a little bit deeper than he has so far. Then again, he might not be. I nevertheless enjoy these little thought experiments. ;-)

No, I don’t think that comparison works, not for me anyway. Because I was intrigued by him at the announcement, then I watched a load of his films and had no doubts he’d be great.

Fair enough. Then again, I've never seen anything with Pierce in it before '95 that might suggest he'd be a strong Bond.

I think Fourth Protocol actually shows Bond potential in a way he didn’t quite pursue. He’s cold and single minded in that, and quite sinister, and does a rather brilliant job I think. In a way I’d have quite liked to see the colder side of him he shows in that in his 007. It’s certainly not a performance you’d expect from Remington Steel.
    I think we give Craig a bit too much credit in the leading role department before Bond. Not taking away from his abilities in the slightest but 90% of his roles prior to Bond were supporting roles (aside from Our Friends In The North)

Nah, I don’t think that’s fair. He’d done a quite a bit in the way of mini series and the like in the lead; The Trench, Sword of Honour, Love is the Devil etc. and then Arkangel. He was powering through as a lead.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    I think we give Craig a bit too much credit in the leading role department before Bond. Not taking away from his abilities in the slightest but 90% of his roles prior to Bond were supporting roles (aside from Our Friends In The North)

Nah, I don’t think that’s fair. He’d done a quite a bit in the way of mini series and the like in the lead; The Trench, Sword of Honour, Love is the Devil etc. and then Arkangel. He was powering through as a lead.

They're not really big though, are they? I've seen The Trench and Arkangel, but never seen the others or heard of anyone else speaking about them. He might have been the lead in them and, again, I'm not doubting his talents; however is it really fair to say that it's a given that someone who has been a lead in smaller projects would have more merit being cast in a part as big as James Bond, as opposed to an actor who is well regarded enough to be get supporting roles in many big budget tentpoles/thrillers helmed by well-known directors?

If we're talking about carrying the weight of a major series, I mean.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Theo James is certainly in my top five for the role.
    Good looks, strong voice, can act and is known enough in the US without being a huge star.
    He’s also keeping his profile out of yet could he be Bond spotlight, which I think can only be a good thing.
    Hoping he auditions or EON choose to test him.
    Nicholas Hoult, Sope Disiru, Aidan Turner and Tom Hughes are all high on my list of potential Bonds.
    Till a director and script have been set, tabloid speculation is really all we’re going to get for the time being.
    Still fun to speculate and discuss though.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    To me, Theo James looks way too goofy. I suppose he could tone that down, but in White Lotus and in real life interviews, to me he's really elastic and all over the place. It wouldn't excite me if he were picked.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Craigs lacks both the daring, suave aspect of bond as well as the humour/irreverent aspect and that's why I think turner is the ideal choice to take over the role. bond fans are all dying for a film with a proper gunbarrel at the start, a roaring rendition of the bond theme layered throughout, an actual up-beat song for once and a fully capable, modern bond. We need someone with the same showman qualities of Moore, Brosnan and Connery, who are as good as ambassadors as they are playing him on screen, and you can clearly see how aidan turner is the most self-depricating, down to earth gent you're ever likely to meet from his interviews. I think if The Suspect, Poldark and ATTWN have shown us anything its that Turner has all the commanding presence to pull off bond, he has the dangerous aura mixed with a cheery, affable demeanour, perfect to play both the outward facing facade who charms at parties and the inward calculating mind that drinks alone in his hotel room at 2am.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Craigs lacks both the daring, suave aspect of bond as well as the humour/irreverent aspect and that's why I think turner is the ideal choice to take over the role. bond fans are all dying for a film with a proper gunbarrel at the start, a roaring rendition of the bond theme layered throughout, an actual up-beat song for once and a fully capable, modern bond. We need someone with the same showman qualities of Moore, Brosnan and Connery, who are as good as ambassadors as they are playing him on screen, and you can clearly see how aidan turner is the most self-depricating, down to earth gent you're ever likely to meet from his interviews. I think if The Suspect, Poldark and ATTWN have shown us anything its that Turner has all the commanding presence to pull off bond, he has the dangerous aura mixed with a cheery, affable demeanour, perfect to play both the outward facing facade who charms at parties and the inward calculating mind that drinks alone in his hotel room at 2am.

Welcome back after some absence, dear @Mendes4Lyfe You are a 1000% on point, like the page count, nearly, of this rather interesting thread. I couldn't have written it better. Hopefully EoN realises this as well and ditch the younger Bond route. At about 40 Turner is perfect.
    The more interviews that I see, the higher he goes on my list.

• peterpeter Toronto
    To me, only two names feel as if they’d command the screen in interesting ways (and both doing this in wildly different ways):

Sope Dirisu who ooze’s masculinity, charisma and a real sense of lethal force, and;

Nicholas Hoult, who’s so charming and likeable, but I could see him unleashing a measured intensity when called upon. Perhaps the actor closest to having a Moore’esque way about him.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

You lost me with the first sentence. Craig lacks the daring aspect of Bond? What does that even mean?

You say that we need a modern Bond, and then you proceed by referring to Connery, Moore and Brosnan. I'd say Craig was a modern Bond, someone who walked away from the previous five guys.

As for Turner, I have tried and tried and tried, seeing all the love for him. I don't get it. He's good. But Bond? A bit dull, to be honest. I wouldn't mind him modelling for the next Bond action figures, but that's it for me. Also, he'll be over 40 when the next film starts shooting. I doubt they're still going for that age range.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I was very skeptical when Craig was cast, but was won over with the first teaser trailer.

Same.
    Truth is, Brosnan was easy for me to accept. He made sense in an unchallenging way.
    Craig was tougher at first; I had to plough through a few concerns. It was love, but not until after first, second and third sight. But the more we saw of him, the more I grew convinced. CR felt like a reward for being patient and confident. Perhaps that's why my appreciation of Craig has reached a lot deeper too. Brosnan was an "of course", Craig was a "hold on now" that morphed into a "damn, he's awesome, I can see it now!"

I think there was a lot of projection coming with Brosnan. When cast he was pretty much plebiscited and GE was almost condemned to succeed. I don't think any other actor had it as easy upon casting and I don't think any ever will.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As for Turner, I have tried and tried and tried, seeing all the love for him. I don't get it. He's good. But Bond? A bit dull, to be honest.

I feel the same. I’ve tried. Just my opinion, but Turner always seems he’s “Acting” with a big “A”…. The scowls or a look or a laugh seem so calculated and telegraphed. It doesn’t feel like he just “is” the role. Not nuanced. Very actorly and almost stagey.
    As for Turner, I have tried and tried and tried, seeing all the love for him. I don't get it. He's good. But Bond? A bit dull, to be honest.

I feel the same. I’ve tried. Just my opinion, but Turner always seems he’s “Acting” with a big “A”…. The scowls or a look or a laugh seem so calculated and telegraphed. It doesn’t feel like he just “is” the role. Not nuanced. Very actorly and almost stagey.

To a degree I feel the same about Cavill; I can always sense that he’s “acting “ and carefully contemplating every word before it comes out of his mouth.
  • peterpeter Toronto

To a degree I feel the same about Cavill; I can always sense that he’s “acting “ and carefully contemplating every word before it comes out of his mouth.

Definitely, @talos7 … but he comes off as having a more “friendly “ persona than Turner— for me.

I feel the same about both.

Definitely, @talos7 … but he comes off as having a more “friendly “ persona than Turner— for me.

Absolutely, and while I’ve cooled on Cavill over the years, I do wonder how much my perception of him is a result of his not using his natural accent in so many of his roles. When I hear him speaking in his natural voice, I think to myself, ‘ hmmm, he actually could be a very good Bond’.
    Regardless of Cavill's skills, I think his ship has sailed. I don't think he'll be Bond. Ten years or so ago maybe, but not now.
    I agree.
    As much as I'd enjoy seeing him as Bond, you're right. Plus, he's returning as Superman now, so I can't imagine he'd have the time to play Bond too.
    To me, only two names feel as if they’d command the screen in interesting ways (and both doing this in wildly different ways):

Sope Dirisu who ooze’s masculinity, charisma and a real sense of lethal force, and;

Nicholas Hoult, who’s so charming and likeable, but I could see him unleashing a measured intensity when called upon. Perhaps the actor closest to having a Moore’esque way about him.

Nick is my top choice right now as Hardy and Fassbender is now too old
    Cavill cannot act, my opinion always. Turner on the other hand can act and although Peter has a point to a certain degree, to me it's not an off putting way of acting. The most important aspect, is an actor believable, in regards to Turner it's a solid yes. In regards to Cavill, not really, mostly hollow. Ymmv.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Kanye West has proposed himself in the past. Can we rule him out?
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.soycarmin.com%2F__export%2F1444326710497%2Fsites%2Fdebate%2Fimg%2Fcelebs%2F2015%2F10%2F08%2Fkanye-bond.jpg_242310155.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=160f596ac3b78762857adb578a575691aa653a2fb5654d51f9363b41e8f124a0&ipo=images
    Or would it be too woke?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Or not woke enough.
    Kanye West has proposed himself in the past. Can we rule him out?
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.soycarmin.com%2F__export%2F1444326710497%2Fsites%2Fdebate%2Fimg%2Fcelebs%2F2015%2F10%2F08%2Fkanye-bond.jpg_242310155.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=160f596ac3b78762857adb578a575691aa653a2fb5654d51f9363b41e8f124a0&ipo=images
    Or would it be too woke?

Well, the guy seems anti woke, so I'm not sure. However he sometimes claims to be the next Christ or next potus. However he's also an anti semite, so I'd say NEXT!
    Cavill cannot act, my opinion always. Turner on the other hand can act and although Peter has a point to a certain degree, to me it's not an off putting way of acting. The most important aspect, is an actor believable, in regards to Turner it's a solid yes. In regards to Cavill, not really, mostly hollow. Ymmv.

He's almost 40 so that seems to confirm he won't be the next Bond, unless they change their minds on wanting a younger actor in the role (which I can't imagine they won't, at the rate they're releasing them nowadays.)
    Creasy47 wrote: »

He's almost 40 so that seems to confirm he won't be the next Bond, unless they change their minds on wanting a younger actor in the role (which I can't imagine they won't, at the rate they're releasing them nowadays.)

I reckon they should pick the guy who resembles Bond the most, in the broadest sense of the word, regardless of age. I honestly cannot wait to find out who truly could and should be Bond. At least according to EoN.