Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

mattjoes wrote: »
    Final trailer

Best trailer so far?

This is the most interesting trailer so far, but I'm still not interested enough to watch this in the theater. Oh, Avatar, you're not gonna fool me again-- I learnt my lesson in 2009! I'm sure this film, like the first one, will be okay at the very least, but like the first one, I'm not sure it's going to provide something interesting enough in terms of story and characters, which is what I would hope.

I'll probably watch it at home someday.

Apparently the film needs to make 2 billion to break even, I have a feeling this film may bomb. I will likely wait to watch it when its on streaming.

Imagine the headlines if that happened -- "Avatar: The Way of Water sinks at the box office like the Titanic!"

I doubt it though.

I wonder why I found the two lead characters in the first Avatar a bit boring. Neytiri had a temper and could be rather fierce in battle, but I don't know, she still seemed kind of empty to me. Lacking in conflict. Not particularly charming either, which often goes a long way towards making a character work.

Sully's character had the benefit of undergoing a mental and physical transformation, and it's interesting to see him at the midpoint of the story, when he's confused about the fact he's starting to feel more at home in the Na'vi world. That works. But he still feels a bit boring.

The other characters in the film seemed much more interesting to me. The cantankerous but sensitive Grace. Selfridge, who I wish had been explored much more in depth, but the actor's performance makes up for that. And Quaritch, who was the most interesting character in the film.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    1. Avatar 2 obviously doesn’t need $2B to break even since The Hollywood Reporter just reported that its production budget stands between $350-400M so it needs roughly $1B to break even. We know Cameron… he’s a troll. Besting Titanic is likely his personal goal;
    2. Worst case possible scenario for this film would be making $1.5B and I fear such a performance would jeopardize Avatar 4/5.
    3. TWOW is the first Disney film to get a China release since COVID;
    4. I already booked my tickets, it’s gonna be amazing.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Violent Night. I like the CR callback planting the explosive on the bad guy.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    As a big Mario fan, I’m not very pleased so far. The characterizations, save Bowser perhaps, seem out of place. I don’t like the idea of Mario just being reduced to a punching bag joke.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah I'm also not sure what they're going for here but this is the first footage I've seen from the film and it didn't leave me wanting more.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - Official Teaser Trailer (2023)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

I am on board.

Fun idea.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,105
    THE THREE MUSKETEERS Trailer (2023)

Eva Green as Milady yes please.

This actually looks like it's going to be a good adaption.

three-musketeers-2023-movies-poster.jpg
    THE THREE MUSKETEERS Trailer (2023)

Eva Green as Milady yes please.

This actually looks like it's going to be a good adaption.

three-musketeers-2023-movies-poster.jpg

You are right. It does look good.
    That looks really, really good. What an impressive cast! Can't wait.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 40,372
    Bong Joon-ho's latest film Mickey 17 has been dated for March 2024, offering a first look at the same time:

[
    FoxRox wrote: »
    As a big Mario fan, I’m not very pleased so far. The characterizations, save Bowser perhaps, seem out of place. I don’t like the idea of Mario just being reduced to a punching bag joke.

Yeah I have no clue where they are going with this movie I like all the references though.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Avatar: The Way of Water premiered in London yesterday.
    Here’s the first reactions:

Cameron did it again. I saw a clip in glorious IMAX 3D attached to the 4K re-release of the first one. Mark my words: no one is ready for this film.
    I couldn't care less about 3D but there's no way I'm missing out on this one in theaters in 3D. It might take me a few weeks but Avatar in 3D really blew my mind in cinemas at the time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm going to be honest I fell asleep during the first one with 3D glasses on...
    Same here.
    The underwater scenes in 3D were glorious. I was speechless. I saw a clip with the big whale and it was like living a dream. I’m starting to believe that this sequel may even outgross the original one, if it makes something like $500M in China.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Same here.
    The underwater scenes in 3D were glorious. I was speechless. I saw a clip with the big whale and it was like living a dream. I’m starting to believe that this sequel may even outgross the original one, if it makes something like $500M in China.

I saw some early estimates a few weeks back that had a possible $200 million opening weekend for the U.S. alone. I'm not sure how the recent zero COVID policies in China may affect the box office but considering it's getting a day and date release over there, it's certainly promising for this one to shatter even more records. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.
    With Cameron everything’s possible. With a $200M opening weekend during the holiday season with no competition it will make at least a $800M final.
    In China now half of the theaters are shut down but it looks like they will re-open in time for Avatar’s release at least in big cities. Chinese are obsessed with Avatar and it is tracking to beat Endgame as their most anticipated Western movie ever on their IMDB “wanna see” list.
    Very much looking forward to seeing this on Netflix next month:

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to seeing this on Netflix next month:

Oh, yes, me too, definitely worth keep netflix just for that one ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Mia Goth is just great.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 784
    More films should learn from the Mickey 17 and the Oppenheimer teaser. Less is more but you still need a glimpse, music/soundscape is super important. I wish trailers were extended teasers and not the whole film condensed into two minutes.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bong Joon-ho's latest film Mickey 17 has been dated for March 2024, offering a first look at the same time:

Denbigh wrote: »
    Mia Goth is just great.

She's so fantastic, and looks to be knocking it out of the park once more in Cronenberg's latest. I'm excited to see it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A 4K restoration of Orson Welles’ 1962 film THE TRIAL is being screened at the Film Forum in New York City before having a wider re-release later on. Starring Anthony Perkins, Jeanne Moreau, Romy Schneider and Orson Welles himself, Welles was later quoted as saying that he thought this to be his best film.

It is an adaption of Franz Kafka’s 1915 novel (published after his death in 1925).

PS The above is not the 4K trailer.

https://filmforum.org/film/the-trial