The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

1515253545557»

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,382
    I have a suggestion:
    Can we have an elimination game on this?
    The Best Wardrobe/Style/Outfit elimination game for example?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    This thread waking up reminds me to mention 'Fashioning James Bond: Costume, Gender and Identity in the World of 007' by Llewella Chapman:

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/fashioning-james-bond-9781350164666/

I know very little about clothes (and usually dress like I woke up in a bin) but I found this fascinating. Film by film analysis of the clothing choices for the cast, costume directors, wider contemporary fashion context, even tie-in merch (like the reproduction of Tracy's wedding ring, which for some reason didn't sell very well).

9781350164666.jpg
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 784
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Not for me. I'm not a sartorial expert, but something about those lapels is just slightly off. Maybe because I expect such a wide lapel to go with a double breasted suit? Or it's the dropped shoulders meeting the lapels at an unexpected point? I can't really put my finger on it.
    They do fit well, but I would say the Tom Ford suits could have been made to fit better.

One thing I would like in the new film would be for the clothes to be mentioned in the film. Not in a product placement way, but something along the lines of the dinner jacket in CR.
    Your post just reminded me of a fun little scene in Kill Chain one of the comics by Dynamite, were Bond and a woman working for I think the DGSE are fleeing after an altercation in an auction house's warehouse (sidenote: do that whole sequence with an auction and a fight in the warehouse. Come to think of it, just do Kill Chain. It's really good.) and they constantly snipe at each other about who knows more about antiques and intelligence work and all that culminating in her dissing him by saying he doesn't have style because notch lapels are totally out. You'd have to punch that up a bit for the screen obviously, but I still think something like that could work. Show that Bond knows and cares about these things and can have a verbal sparring match while in a car chase, without breaking a sweat.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I was watching this interview with Lindy Hemming last night.

interesting exchange at 49 mins:

Interviewer: Does [going from Brosnan to Craig] create challenges or opportunities for you?
    Hemming: Well I have to say, it was the last one I did, so that should tell you something.

I take it Craig had her replaced, as she goes on to say that he wanted a more modern look for Bond in the follow-ups.

That's a shame because Hemming was a godsend to this series. Brosnan was the only Bond who not once wore anything that didn't work on him. Casual or formal, everything Hemming gave him was immaculate. He looked natural in everything. Hemming also did well with Craig in CR, dressing him down somewhat while still making sure he looked stylish.

Craig's wardrobe in QOS good for the most part, but certain outfits he had like the white jeans and dark shirt in Haiti screamed, "I just got back from a haul at the AX outlet."

Then in Skyfall things really start to go awry, and they only got worse with each new movie. The tiny suits, the garish ensembles (barbour jacket and scarf, peacoat over a sweater and tie with leather gloves, the corduroy suit (WTF?), and of course this atrocity:
    https://www.bondsuits.com/the-duster-coat-with-two-shirts-for-norway-in-no-time-to-die/

If Craig indeed was instrumental in getting Hemming sacked, the producers should have stepped in and overruled him. By the time he was finished with the role, Bond didn't look like Bond anymore.

Agreed on all points.
    Not for me. I'm not a sartorial expert, but something about those lapels is just slightly off. Maybe because I expect such a wide lapel to go with a double breasted suit? Or it's the dropped shoulders meeting the lapels at an unexpected point? I can't really put my finger on it.
    They do fit well, but I would say the Tom Ford suits could have been made to fit better.

I think the lapel creases are cut a bit too high up on the chest and not deep enough by that particular brand, but I still much prefer larger lapels to smaller. I also think colour combinations are important and strayed away from italian luxury to british office worker and made Daniel look boring. He looks more well dressed in press junkets and interviews than he does in his last three films.
    That’s too long for me nowadays. Collar length should work with the lapel and the size of the tie. It works for him, because the other pieces fit, but it's just not a package in total, I would go for now. That suit jacket front looks like it's an overcoat in the mid shots with those splayed lapels. The tie is kind of cool with the waistcoat (i suspect it would be too much fabric if it were loose).

I've recently moved towards more of a semi-spread collar. I think it's more versatile with a tie or without. That is also, because I have a rather short neck and wearing something as high/long as Pitt does in the clip would make me look like I'm cosplaying as Fat Karl Lagerfeld. Full spread is too much for me and I cannot fathom how people wear full spread collars without a tie. Looks ridiculous.
    Walked past the dunhill store today and was in awe of their classic double breasted jackets. Perhaps a bit reminiscent of Roger Moore in the 70's, Brosnan's brionis, and the kingsman pinstripe, but I still like the lapel cut, the modest silhoutte, the length (and the buttonlessnes) more than modern suits. Trousers could be wider. Fit obviously depends on the actor.

w1125_be4e4e4.jpg
    w1125_be4e4e4.jpg

Don't really like tight fitting suits on bulkier people, and think they should go back to looser fits if they go with another Craig.

Still really like high and stiff (not necessarily 2 button) neck collars though, it makes it feel classier somehow, whether they be narrow or wide.

Layer-Cake-Cream-Suit-2.jpg
    Estée Lauder Beats Out Kering in $2.8 Billion Bid for Tom Ford
    It's official: Estée Lauder Cos. will acquire Tom Ford for $2.8 billion, beating out reported competitor Kering in the bid to own Ford's fashion and beauty business.

Estée Lauder already holds the license to Tom Ford Beauty, a fragrance and makeup line that Ford developed in partnership with the group and launched in 2011. Now, the beauty conglomerate will extend its reach to the brand's apparel and accessories business.

As Business of Fashion noted, Estée Lauder will likely license the production and sale of said apparel and accessories to other companies, a move that could potentially dilute the brand.

Currently, Ermenegildo Zegna Group holds the license to Tom Ford's menswear and men's footwear, while Marcolin produces and distributes Tom Ford eyewear. It's unclear whether the deal will affect those relationships, as well as what direction Estée Lauder will take for Ford's womenswear division.

I don't know anything about the fashion business, so I have no idea how that impacts the input Tom Ford himself has on the stuff being sold under his name. Additionally, there is of course a good chance that his association with Bond ends with Craig's run in the role. We'll see in the future, I guess.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    N. Peal apparently is having a 15% off all their Bond stuff, with the coupon code BOND15.
    N. Peal apparently is having a 15% off all their Bond stuff, with the coupon code BOND15.

Doesn't work in their German Online Store at the moment. On the other hand, I wasn't going to get one of their pullovers, even if it's 300€ instead of 350€...
    I’m of a like mind @ImpertinentGoon.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Me attempting to look cool in my 'Spectre' jacket. It's a cheaper 'homage' (rip off) than the ridiculously expensive original. But surprisingly good quality and a nice fit. (Also came with a free leather wallet 😁)
    20221128-214254.jpg
    Looks great! Royale Filmwear?
    Looks great! Royale Filmwear?

Thanks.
    No, 'Smart Range Leather'
    http://smartrangeleather.co.uk/
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    That looks great!
    Agent_99 wrote: »