The (Non-Bond) Films of DANIEL CRAIG

Comments

• QsCatQsCat London
    edited August 2021 Posts: 251
    pachazo wrote: »
    Nice review @Pierce2Daniel. I've always felt that Cowboys and Aliens was a bit underrated. True, there's nothing groundbreaking about it, but I've always enjoyed it for what it is.

Does anyone else find the Knives Out sequels a little troubling? The first one was good, but does it really need to become a series? Is it strong enough to? It was a good change of pace, but is this what we want to see from Craig moving forward?

Nah, I don't. I'd like to see him return to acting in smaller, more interesting films.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder what Craig's post Bond career will be like? Possibly by more comedies like Knives Out and Logan Lucky
    He's underrated in terms of his comedic timing in my opinion. I always remember laughing at the phone call with Dragon in Layer Cake and the way he falls after he gets beaten up by Gene in that film as well

I've wondered this too.....Whilst I have enjoyed the comedies, I miss the days when Craig was doing more serious films. I recently watched Some Voices and was reminded how terrific an actor he is.

yN15TH2.jpg

I have a bit of a sweetness for 1990's British indie cinema and Some Voices satisfied me immensely. It's an incredibly charming film, which left a huge grin on my face throughout. The real stand out is Daniel Craig. He's a far cry from his 007 persona here. I was really drawn to his craggy, haunted face. He has terrific screen presence. During the first half, he's incredibly funny and endearing. You'll struggle to dislike Ray.

In fact, by the one hour mark, his roguish layabout charm was getting a little gnawing. Thankfully, Some Voices goes into a different direction and Ray begins to unravel. There's some serious meat here for Craig to chew on and there are some very brave moments on display. He can be scary, intimidating and ultimately heartbreaking. His final sequence with David Morrissey is brilliant. I'd forgotten that Craig was capable of giving such a brilliant performance (even if his cockney accent is iffy).

Filmmakers have long been fixated on the inherent drama of mental illness. Some Voices takes a more honest, sincere and heartfelt approach. It avoids the usual movie cliches. Ray is neither a babbling monster, an idiot-savant or manic villain. Craig's Ray is (for the most part) a placid, humorous, fundamentally decent guy, who's out of joint with the world he's living in. There;s a tender sweetness to the film. Craig’s craggy charm makes for some fine screen chemistry with Kelly Macdonald.

She starts the film as a feisty Glaswegian lass, but eventually the script just 'manic pixie dream girls' herAlso, whilst I digged the grungy, grainy direction, there is a sense that the film dips a little too much in that kinetic, overzealous Danny Boyle style that was prevalent in British cinema at the time. The script is also pretty terrific, but I could have done with more on Ray's background and his mental illness isn't overly well explained. Especially considering how important it is in the final scene.

But this is a seriously charming film. Has anyone else seen it?

It's a brilliant film. When Craig was announced as Bond, I watched films such as this and was then a firm believer. I haven't enjoyed his turn of career in the last ten years... admittedly I've missed a few of his films but.. his early films were great. I hope he returns to that kind of fare. His desperation to prove his comedic abilities is baffling. Yeh he can be quite funny, but so what? His earlier films such as Sylvia, Obsession, Some Voices, Infamous, and the series Our friends in the north really made me a fan. I can't say I'm a fan anymore...
    I appreciate his past films and look forward to the next Bond....

Craig now seems to only care about what is currently popular, and his wage. He's the opposite of what I first liked about him and what first inspired myself to become an actor.
    I don't think this is unfair, I'm basing it on the choices he's made over the last ten+ years...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Can you remember any more than that?
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...

Only film I can think of with a gas holder like that is Shooting Fish, but no DC or look-a-like is in that from what I can recall.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Can you remember any more than that?

I didn tmake that thread.
    Simon wrote: »

Only film I can think of with a gas holder like that is Shooting Fish, but no DC or look-a-like is in that from what I can recall.

Could it have been one of his earlier films like 'Obsession'?
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 4,400
    TripAces wrote: »
    I've had the experience that Craig rises well above some pretty average (or worse) material outside of Bond. From the mediocre (Cowboys and Aliens) to the offensively stupid (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), I've yet to enjoy any of his non-Bond films, as great as he tends to be in them (Knives Out, for example). I need to finally see Layer Cake, Munich, Road to Perdition and some of the other likely good ones.

giphy.gif

"So I'm looking for a lady who disappeared 30 years ago"
    "Good news: I found a photograph of the moment she disappeared"
    "That's terrific but it would really be helpful if I could find a picture of the person who took this picture"
    "Good news: I found a photograph of the person taking the first photograph"
    "Awesome"

Also not great: omnicompetent ninja hackers and Nazis who repeatedly forget to shut the door to their rape dungeons, always to the benefit of the heroes/audience. I don't have a rape dungeon myself, but surely the first rule of rape dungeons is "Close and lock the door when entering or leaving".

Disguising rape-revenge exploitation as something feminist in a story where your heroine falls in love with a stand-in for the author at the end and gets sad when he's not interested? Not great.

The movie is downright aggressive in its stupidity: it's Scooby-Doo with rape scenes. Not Fincher's fault, not Craig's fault, of course--I assume it's the source material.

You're not entirely wrong.

I gotta say that on a rewatch, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a slight disappointment. I remember being enthusiastic about this film and a recent rewatch of Seven got me even more excited. However, TGWTDT is a little impersonal an affair for David Fincher. Though I enjoyed the moody and frosty Scandinavian landscape. This is a sleek but chilly thriller. Nothing in the movie matches the opening nightmarish Bondian credit sequence (Just imagine Fincher's 007 film!). Ultimately, this is an overly neat film - especially considering it comes from the same director of Seven and Zodiac - that feels as though it was mandated by a risk-averse studio.

The issue is that the mystery inertly unfurls and the characters are a tad bland. It's not to say that the film doesn't have atmosphere and there is also great chemistry between the leads. However, this kinda story has been told more compellingly before (notably by David Fincher). Nonetheless, this is grim pulp entertainment and, despite its length, has great pace. The appeal for Fincher was clearly the Lisbeth character and her avenging angel attitude. Unsurprisingly, this is Rooney Mara’s movie for the taking, and she snatches it up in dramatic fashion. Meanwhile, Daniel's role is a little colourless in comparison. However, he is perfectly cast as the ruffled, unkempt journalist. I enjoyed the relaxed and natural quality he brought to the role. Daniel sheds leading-man vanity to play Blomkvist as past his prime and somewhat cowardly. Also, he just looks hot in glasses.....😍😍😍

plcWVdB.png
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Of Craig's non-Bond filmography I've only seen Knives Out and TGWTDT. I thought he was great in both.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Try Logan Lucky. Even if he's only in a supporting role, Craig is a hoot as an hillbilly idiot savant. And as he's mostly paired with good actors in it (including a game Adam Driver), it's a delight to watch him.
  • I think Craig's best non-Bond film has been Munich. I know he was part of an ensemble in that, but it's a very good film and he's good in it.

I'm not sure I can think of too many films of his apart from Bond that have been all that great. Knives Out was a riveting first watch, but it really didn't hold up for me the second time. Maybe it's just the whodunnit nature of the genre.

Layer Cake is still a great indie-style gangster film. I'd put that up there with my favorites of Craig's non-Bonds.

I do want to see Logan Lucky at some point, and I ought to revisit Road to Perdition.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think Craig's best non-Bond film has been Munich. I know he was part of an ensemble in that, but it's a very good film and he's good in it.

I'm not sure I can think of too many films of his apart from Bond that have been all that great. Knives Out was a riveting first watch, but it really didn't hold up for me the second time. Maybe it's just the whodunnit nature of the genre.

Layer Cake is still a great indie-style gangster film. I'd put that up there with my favorites of Craig's non-Bonds.

I do want to see Logan Lucky at some point, and I ought to revisit Road to Perdition.

Craig has had some great films under his belt outside of Bond but Munich is my favorite of those and easily one of my favorite films of all time.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Try Logan Lucky. Even if he's only in a supporting role, Craig is a hoot as an hillbilly idiot savant. And as he's mostly paired with good actors in it (including a game Adam Driver), it's a delight to watch him.

That's a great and funny film.

"I said no peekin."
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,548
    I've had the experience that Craig rises well above some pretty average (or worse) material outside of Bond. From the mediocre (Cowboys and Aliens) to the offensively stupid (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), I've yet to enjoy any of his non-Bond films, as great as he tends to be in them (Knives Out, for example). I need to finally see Layer Cake, Munich, Road to Perdition and some of the other likely good ones.

giphy.gif

"So I'm looking for a lady who disappeared 30 years ago"
    "Good news: I found a photograph of the moment she disappeared"
    "That's terrific but it would really be helpful if I could find a picture of the person who took this picture"
    "Good news: I found a photograph of the person taking the first photograph"
    "Awesome"

Also not great: omnicompetent ninja hackers and Nazis who repeatedly forget to shut the door to their rape dungeons, always to the benefit of the heroes/audience. I don't have a rape dungeon myself, but surely the first rule of rape dungeons is "Close and lock the door when entering or leaving".

Disguising rape-revenge exploitation as something feminist in a story where your heroine falls in love with a stand-in for the author at the end and gets sad when he's not interested? Not great.

The movie is downright aggressive in its stupidity: it's Scooby-Doo with rape scenes. Not Fincher's fault, not Craig's fault, of course--I assume it's the source material.

You're not entirely wrong.

I gotta say that on a rewatch, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a slight disappointment. I remember being enthusiastic about this film and a recent rewatch of Seven got me even more excited. However, TGWTDT is a little impersonal an affair for David Fincher. Though I enjoyed the moody and frosty Scandinavian landscape. This is a sleek but chilly thriller. Nothing in the movie matches the opening nightmarish Bondian credit sequence (Just imagine Fincher's 007 film!). Ultimately, this is an overly neat film - especially considering it comes from the same director of Seven and Zodiac - that feels as though it was mandated by a risk-averse studio.

The issue is that the mystery inertly unfurls and the characters are a tad bland. It's not to say that the film doesn't have atmosphere and there is also great chemistry between the leads. However, this kinda story has been told more compellingly before (notably by David Fincher). Nonetheless, this is grim pulp entertainment and, despite its length, has great pace. The appeal for Fincher was clearly the Lisbeth character and her avenging angel attitude. Unsurprisingly, this is Rooney Mara’s movie for the taking, and she snatches it up in dramatic fashion. Meanwhile, Daniel's role is a little colourless in comparison. However, he is perfectly cast as the ruffled, unkempt journalist. I enjoyed the relaxed and natural quality he brought to the role. Daniel sheds leading-man vanity to play Blomkvist as past his prime and somewhat cowardly. Also, he just looks hot in glasses.....😍😍😍

plcWVdB.png

I have always loved this film. It's right in the middle of Fincher's "Golden Era": Zodiac / The Curious Case of Benjamin Button / The Social Network / TGWTDT / Gone Girl. That is a span of five nearly-flawless films.

Truth be told: TGWTDT turned me into a DC fan. I was ho-hum about him as Bond. I actually went to see TGWTDT because of Rooney Mara. Instead, I walked out of the theater more impressed by Craig. I immediately rewatched CR and QoS and I had a whole new appreciation of him. Then, the following fall, I was excited about SF, and it did not disappoint.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I've seen most of them and even though it's far from the best, I've retained an odd fondness for Flashbacks of a Fool for some reason, even though Craig's not in half to two-thirds of it. Dan's response the two times Keeley Hawes asks him if he's wearing make-up is funnier than much of the overt comedy he's done!
    My Top 10:

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    2. Layer Cake
    3. Knives Out
    4. Enduring Love
    5. Logan Lucky
    6. Munich
    5. Cowboys and Aliens
    6. Flashbacks of a Fool
    7. Archangel
    8. Sylvia
    9. The Mother
    10. Defiance
  • TripAces wrote: »
    My Top 10:

2. Layer Cake
    3. Knives Out
    4. Enduring Love
    5. Logan Lucky
    6. Munich
    5. Cowboys and Aliens
    6. Flashbacks of a Fool
    7. Archangel
    8. Sylvia
    9. The Mother
    10. Defiance

I'm not entirely sure how this list is supposed to be read, but I kind of want to structure all future Top 10s this way. :D
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,895
    When I rewatch Cowboys and Aliens these days, I want it to stay a straight western and half hope the aliens don't turn up... ;)
    My Top 10:

2. Layer Cake
    3. Knives Out
    4. Enduring Love
    5. Logan Lucky
    6. Munich
    5. Cowboys and Aliens
    6. Flashbacks of a Fool
    7. Archangel
    8. Sylvia
    9. The Mother
    10. Defiance

I'm not entirely sure how this list is supposed to be read, but I kind of want to structure all future Top 10s this way. :D

LOL...I just now noticed. I have no idea. I used the "numbering" option. And I remember making the list and thinking, this is more than 10. Then it came out as 10, and I didn't proof it.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 15,785
    My favorite Daniel non Bond films:

1. KNIVES OUT
    2. LAYER CAKE
    3. ARCHANGEL
    4. LOGAN LUCKY
    5. ENDURING LOVE
    6. DEFIANCE
    7. ROAD TO PERDITION
    8. THE GOLDEN COMPASS

.................and there's a handful I still haven't seen.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

1. KNIVES OUT
    2. LAYER CAKE
    3. ARCHANGEL
    4. LOGAN LUCKY
    5. ENDURING LOVE
    6. DEFIANCE
    7. ROAD TO PERDITION
    8. THE GOLDEN COMPASS

Have you not seen 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'? Worth seeing, Craig is very good in it, and you should also check out 'Munich', a smaller role, but impressive non the less!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

1. KNIVES OUT
    2. LAYER CAKE
    3. ARCHANGEL
    4. LOGAN LUCKY
    5. ENDURING LOVE
    6. DEFIANCE
    7. ROAD TO PERDITION
    8. THE GOLDEN COMPASS

Have you not seen 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'? Worth seeing, Craig is very good in it, and you should also check out 'Munich', a smaller role, but impressive non the less!

Haven't seen either of those yet. Something for me to look forward to.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

1. KNIVES OUT
    2. LAYER CAKE
    3. ARCHANGEL
    4. LOGAN LUCKY
    5. ENDURING LOVE
    6. DEFIANCE
    7. ROAD TO PERDITION
    8. THE GOLDEN COMPASS

Haven't seen either of those yet. Something for me to look forward to.

Check out both ASAP, they're phenomenal.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 4,400
    I recently went back and tried to work my way through some of DC's previous films...

Enduring Love is a great example of 00s British cinema, even if it does skew towards middle-class North Londoners who frequent wine bars. Nonetheless, it is artfully directed. In particular the photography is striking and inventive; especially in the more action-oriented beats (it does make you wonder what Roger Michell would have done with Bond). Daniel Craig is pretty excellent as the haunted lecturer. His trauma and slow descent into madness is compelling. It's an internalised performance, persuasively normal until his even-tempered calm is cracked. The film captures the grief and helpless rage of those who witness disasters about which they can do nothing. Rhys Ifans adds an engrossing wrinkle and helps accentuate that our protagonist is loosing control. However, there are some moments where Ifans feels more like a Batman villain. The film begins by asking ethical questions and then gradually descends into thriller material. However, this doesn't derail proceedings and actually heightens the maddening quality at the centre of the story.

AbVldWf.png

Next up was Munich. It is really no wonder that Steven Spielberg is so lauded. His filmmaking here is top-notch. The framing and shot compositions are flawless. More often than not Spielberg shoots in elegant, unbroken shots 👌👌👌. His handling of the action sequences are Hitchockinan and pulse-quickening. Nonetheless, this is a surprisingly tough film for the usually saccharine director (aside a misjudged sex scene). I enjoyed the murky world of espionage explored here. However, what could have been a heart-pounding two-hour drama emerges as an overlong morality play which runs out of steam. It doesn't help that you cannot engage in the bland Eric Bana's growing crisis of conscience. The best performances come from a pair of Bond baddies - Mathieu Amalric and Michael Lonsdale - as French underworld figures. Daniel Craig is eye-catching as the fiery blond South African. Whilst his character may be the 'wildcard' of the team, he isn't really all that feral. If anything, his appearance reminded me that Spielberg should cast him in his mooted Bullitt sequel.

TBSIJvF.png

I subjected myself to Dream House. However, much to my surprise, I actually rather enjoyed the film (at least the first two-thirds). The film is a sanitised attempt to emulate Kubrick’s The Shining, and naturally does not reach those heights. Instead, this is closer to the B-films that were prevalent in the studio system in 90's and 00's (usually starring big names in tension-free, 90-minute affairs). It most reminded me of the disposable Johnny Depp film, Secret Window. The script clearly had dramatic potential, which may explain why Jim Sheridan and the cast signed on. Nonetheless, the generic approach and godawful third act (that stinks of reshoots) kill the film. I actually think Craig is incredible in the film. It's interesting seeing him as the family man (he has brilliant chemistry with Rachel Weisz) and his transformation in the second act is sympathetic. The film works best when it's a story of ghosts conjured out of grief and the exorcism of hidden traumas. It's almost a shame Craig is giving such a strong performance in this film. Sadly, there is a version of Dream House on the cutting room floor which is probably closer in spirit to Scorsese's Shutter Island. Sadly, we won't see that version. On a final note, Daniel sports some *ahem* interesting hairstyles......

LslXVk7.png
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Two great films @Pierce2Daniel … and as I spoke to you before: the original script for Dream House was incredible… this was a troubled production with destructive rewrites….
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Pierce2Daniel nice reviews mate.

I rewatched Layer Cake last week it was great, Daniel's performance is amazing, his star quality shines off the screen. No doubt in 2005 there was no other man that could have been Bond #6, it had to be Craig.

It's funny when you watch Being James Bond because they reference almost all of Craig's other pre Bond filmography but Later Cake, when most people see that as the film that got him Bond. It's like EON don't want to admit it, the film was a perfect audition
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 4,400
    Anyone seen Glass Onion yet? I have tickets for Monday! I'm v excited and not just because Daniel looks seriously cool with that natty neckerchief.

FicDAfaUYAAScdn?format=jpg&name=900x900
    It wasn't playing nearby or I would've taken my shot at seeing it. I guess I have to wait a month like so many others for it to hit Netflix then. I hope I can dodge spoilers in the meantime.
    Seen in twice. Absolutely loved it. Easily my favourite film of the year.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just got out from seeing it. Loved it. Not as good as the first in my opinion, but just as original and impressive.