The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm always happy to see more consistent love and appreciation for what he brought to the table with the Evil Dead remake. It's probably up there in my Top 5 of horror remakes; it's incredible.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm always happy to see more consistent love and appreciation for what he brought to the table with the Evil Dead remake. It's probably up there in my Top 5 of horror remakes; it's incredible.

Oh I agree! There's some fierce competition at the top as far as horror remakes go, but Evil Dead would certainly be a contender for my Top 5. Love that film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Oh I agree! There's some fierce competition at the top as far as horror remakes go, but Evil Dead would certainly be a contender for my Top 5. Love that film.

I couldn't agree more! Lots of greats to choose from but that'd have to find a spot somewhere in mine.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I love the ED remake. Fede made a scary and violent film with an awesome score and some visceral horror.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 40,372
    I saw The Menu the other night and thought it was brilliantly executed. I think it'll certainly make my Top 10 of the year when all is said and done. It's more of a psychological horror-thriller than anything but I dug the fusion of elements and genres in such a way.
    As everyone here already knows, I’ll watch anything with Anya in it :D crossing everything I got that she will be a Bond girl someday!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    As everyone here already knows, I’ll watch anything with Anya in it :D crossing everything I got that she will be a Bond girl someday!

Same here. I think she's absolutely brilliant. We can forgive her for The New Mutants. 😉
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Same here. I think she's absolutely brilliant. We can forgive her for The New Mutants. 😉

We certainly can. She's brilliant otherwise (and even in that movie, it's not like she was bad, simply...everything else was.)
    She was perfect as Tomasin in The Vvitch. She rocked in The Queen's Gambit. I absolutely loved her in Last Night In Soho. And I can't wait to see her as a young Furiosa.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I saw The Menu the other night and thought it was brilliantly executed. I think it'll certainly make my Top 10 of the year when all is said and done. It's more of a psychological horror-thriller than anything but I dug the fusion of elements and genres in such a way.

That's definitely one I want to see. Sounds like an interesting concept and good cast.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Anya Taylor-Joy as a Bond girl, yes please.

I have been a fan of hers since Morgan (I saw that first, then The VVitch* aftwards), and though I haven't seen everything she's been in, what I have seen, she's been excellent. EON would be lucky to get her for a Bond Girl.

anya-taylor-joy-inspired-dark-green-v-neck-celebrity-evening-dress-golden-globes-2021.jpg
    Just in case we had forgotten who she was. ;)

* Watching The VVitch, I had the nagging feeling that I had seen her in something else, I had to look her up on the IMDB, and couldn't believe that Tomasin and Morgan were played by the same actress.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't get the hype about her. She's a decent enough actress for sure, but I haven't been wowed by anything she's done yet.

There's something quite unsettling about her lookswise too. I think it's the eyes.
    I don't get the hype about her. She's a decent enough actress for sure, but I haven't been wowed by anything she's done yet.

There's something quite unsettling about her lookswise too. I think it's the eyes.

Her eyes are captivating to me. She's like a living anime character.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    She has a strange look, but is still sexy.
    I'd have her as a Bond villain alright, but I can't visualise her as a Bond woman.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Her wide set eyes are what giver her that striking, otherworldly beauty. I'd be happy to see her as a Bond villain (Bond girl or Bond villain, I don't mind).
    Her eyes are very striking to me, they really lure you in whenever she's on screen.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 8,009
    Terrifying. I guess I'm in the minority there, then.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 9,730

One of my potential bond number 7 is in the film so I have to ask how was Nicholas Hoult

As this is his first film with Fiennes and future Bond girl Anya Taylor Joy
    Risico007 wrote: »

One of my potential bond number 7 is in the film so I have to ask how was Nicholas Hoult

I thought he was fantastic in it, one of the more interesting characters and he offered a great performance. I've been loving Hoult's work in the last few years.

I thought he was fantastic in it, one of the more interesting characters and he offered a great performance. I've been loving Hoult's work in the last few years.

Again Hoult to me is one of maybe three actors who are younger than me but weirdly wouldn’t make me feel old if they were cast as Bond…

He has a worldliness about him that could translate well and he isn’t too big of a name… and if Lucas till can go from the X-men prequel series to being my second favorite spy of all time Macgyver Nicholas Hoult I feel could follow in his footsteps to being 007…..

And now unrelated I will be upset that unlike Bond Macgyver only got two tv shows te tv movies a fee commercials and a lost pilot for third show in 2003 and two novels and one comic book run where as bond fans get a lot of cool stuff to watch read and explore really every year

Again Hoult to me is one of maybe three actors who are younger than me but weirdly wouldn’t make me feel old if they were cast as Bond…

He has a worldliness about him that could translate well and he isn’t too big of a name… and if Lucas till can go from the X-men prequel series to being my second favorite spy of all time Macgyver Nicholas Hoult I feel could follow in his footsteps to being 007…..

And now unrelated I will be upset that unlike Bond Macgyver only got two tv shows te tv movies a fee commercials and a lost pilot for third show in 2003 and two novels and one comic book run where as bond fans get a lot of cool stuff to watch read and explore really every year

I will say that I think they could do way worse than Hoult. Like I mentioned, I've been really loving his work the past several years.
    I'm with those who can't see him as Bond yet. Nothing against the man, but I'm pretty cold on the hypothesis right now.
    I watched Pearl (2022) last night, and let me just say…

Mia Goth deserves a freaking Oscar!! Sensational! If the sequel to complete the X trilogy is on the level of the first two, it could go down as the best horror trilogy ever.

Mia Goth deserves a freaking Oscar!! Sensational! If the sequel to complete the X trilogy is on the level of the first two, it could go down as the best horror trilogy ever.

Her performance in that really shouldn't be slept on when it comes to the upcoming awards season, but I figure it will be.

Her performance in that really shouldn't be slept on when it comes to the upcoming awards season, but I figure it will be.

Horror is always disrespected by the snobs. I couldn’t care less about the Academy’s opinion; Kubrick never winning Best Director or Picture is all the proof I need that their opinions suck.

Horror is always disrespected by the snobs. I couldn’t care less about the Academy’s opinion; Kubrick never winning Best Director or Picture is all the proof I need that their opinions suck.

Indeed.

Several Oscar winners are generic social dramas that cannot even come close to certain horror films in terms of exploring deeper themes and whatnot.
    They are Ti Wests latest, right? I seem to have fallen off a bit on new Horror films (I can't remember the last one I watched). I did enjoy both House Of The Devil, and The Innkeepers, so i'll have to make an effort to see these too.

Absolutely. I stopped caring about their opinions and awards long ago but it'd certainly be refreshing to see.