The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    ORA Funky Cat

Chinese Electric Mini ?
    I think I won't buy an electric vehicle until both of our six-cylinder diesels have broken down, but this is quite a cute car. Doesn't look like all those pseudo-futuristic, manga-type would-be Batmobiles so prevalent these days.

You’re so right. Why are blocky cars so in these days? Those Polestars for instance are so disproportionate and rectangular. Whatever happened to some elegant curvy lines? :(
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Polestars are disproportionate? I can't see that at all, I think they're very nicely proportioned.
    The issue with Polestars I think is that they make these lovely, ultra simple and cool show cars, but when those shapes are made production-ready they get all the bits added which road cars need, and that simple, pure shape gets turned into a slightly boring one. Especially when they get painted a slightly everyday navy blue or something rather than the cool white.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    2023 Toyota Prius

Finally a nice looking Prius ?

Where? I don't see any nice looking car. is this guy pronouncing Toyota on purpose like 'turd'?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,341
    Compared to this previous Prius :-O the new one looks nice ? :))
    akymcxcxk42bwcseqqaw1x596.jpg?pxc_method=gravityfill&pxc_bgtype=self&pxc_size=720,480

Nice remote control for the gadgets :)>-
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    The design of the IONIQ6 has improved over it's predecessor, but it is still very much bland (which means that most people will not object to it, which probably is the idea). The dipping lines to the rear are clearly copied from Mercedes' design language and exaggerated to an extreme. In contrast, the front looks rather boring and generic.

On the inside, I do like the integration of the 2 displays into one large panel and everything looks tidy and clean. Center console appears a bit plasticky.

The review is heavy on the light gimmicks, something that few people are likely to find important. He misses to mention which functions can be controlled from physical buttons or the steering wheel. Do you need to study a manual before you go on the first ride?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A few electrics are starting to go with that tail, I think it might actually be an aerodynamic thing- they're trying to get as many miles out of these things as they can.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I've always hated that banana shape of certain Mercedes models. I used to have a 2004 S 211 (the "T Model" aka station wagon of the W 211 E class), and I still think it looked nice. But it got worse with the first CLS and the later E and especially A class and some other models. And while I'm not planning to buy a new car now, I probably wouldn't pick the Ioniq6 for that very reason.

But hey, still better than the atrocities that BMW has been churning out lately. It's actually worse than the early Chris Bangle 6- and 7-series.
    But hey, still better than the atrocities that BMW has been churning out lately. It's actually worse than the early Chris Bangle 6- and 7-series.

You are so right. I must say I have started to like the look of the Bangle-designed E60 5- series. Head- and rear lights look pretty cool nowadays - who would have thought?

Rear_Bumper_BMW_E60_M5_2_ml.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yes, when I finally got used to the E60, they discontinued it. Though the next one was also ok, and I'd say so far that even applies to the current 5-series. So far.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Somehow this feels extremely 1990's to me. Especially the interior, as if it's from one of those startrek series from back then.
    I hate the fact that Hyundai can't come up with a design philosophy that sticks at least for a couple of generations. It's what's helped so many European cars: they have distinct identities. A few Japanese marques have this now as well, but the Koreans just don't seem to geti it.
    I hate the fact that Hyundai can't come up with a design philosophy that sticks at least for a couple of generations. It's what's helped so many European cars: they have distinct identities. A few Japanese marques have this now as well, but the Koreans just don't seem to geti it.
    I'd say that quite a few European car firms haven't managed to achieve that either. Look at Renault. Every new generation of a certain model looked totally different than the one before, and mostly awkward until you got used to it. As for the Japanese, I'd give an honorable mention to Mazda, but certainly not to Toyota, and Nissans are really just as forgettable as their French brethren.

As for certain German "premium" brands, I must say that Audi has chosen the opposite route, and it is just as wrong. They've all been looking the same for the last twenty years (this is an intentional bit of hyperbole). While BMW and Mercedes-Benz seem to have a contest every ten years for who can build the uglier cars. Right now, it's BMW's turn again.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    %7B56F149F6-5D22-41BE-AF5C-1453CA36156E%7DImg400.jpg
    jensen_mono_logo_white.png
    The Bond Connection – 007’s car
    James Bond's car

After many years of waiting, the country's favourite super spy is finally driving a Jensen. The new James Bond book Solo has been written by well known author William Boyd under an agreement with ‘The Fleming Foundation’ and with the authority of the Fleming family as part of a continuation series of the James Bond books.

Solo is based in 1969 and starts off in the Dorchester Hotel in Park Lane, London. It is James Bond’s birthday and he leaves the hotel and goes into the local Jensen Dealership to look at an Interceptor. He instead finds himself being captivated by the Jensen FF, one of the most sought after cars of the 1960s, that they have in the showroom on Park Lane.

“The Jensen FF,” Eddie said softly in veneration, almost with a catch in his voice. “Four wheel drive.” He opened the door. “Step in, Mr Bond. Try her for size.”,

Bond slipped into the driving seat and rested his hands on the wooden rim of the steering wheel, his eyes taking in the grouped dials on the fascia, his nostrils filled with the smell of new leather. It worked on him like an aphrodisiac.

And continued later:

Bond felt he was in a low flying plane rather than an automobile as he accelerated the Jensen…. If you needed a car to boost your ego, Bond thought, then the Jensen FF would do the job admirably.
    On the book release date, the author will sign 7 copies of his book at the Dorchester, which will be encased in a Perspex box and handed to 7 air stewardesses. They will then be ferried by members of the JOC in 7 different Jensen models (001 to 007) to Heathrow Terminal 5 (VIP) via the A4. The books will be flown on British Airways flights to their destinations.
    IMG_0796.jpg
    DSC_0800.jpg
    William-Boyd-011.jpg?width=465&quality=85&dpr=1&s=none

90bffd8c6eb5b1a58719e3d1bcecf707.jpg
    45593-large.jpg
    02.jpg
    jensen-director.jpg

Solo-Paparazi1.jpg
    I'd say that quite a few European car firms haven't managed to achieve that either. Look at Renault. Every new generation of a certain model looked totally different than the one before, and mostly awkward until you got used to it. As for the Japanese, I'd give an honorable mention to Mazda, but certainly not to Toyota, and Nissans are really just as forgettable as their French brethren.

As for certain German "premium" brands, I must say that Audi has chosen the opposite route, and it is just as wrong. They've all been looking the same for the last twenty years (this is an intentional bit of hyperbole). While BMW and Mercedes-Benz seem to have a contest every ten years for who can build the uglier cars. Right now, it's BMW's turn again.

You're absolutely right, and it seems fitting I forgot about Renault, as that's what they usually produce, forgettable cars. And I even owned one at one point.
    Yes, Audi's all look very similar, as do Porche's, and I don't mind it that much, allthough a little variation is admirable. It still is far better than beeing thrown off completely, as that's what KIA persists in doing. Toyota at least has a few consistent models, and nissan is..well. indeed like renault. I think Top Gear even once made an episode to point out that the French have been very consistent in turning out dissapointing cars. That's something too you know ;-)
    You're absolutely right, and it seems fitting I forgot about Renault, as that's what they usually produce, forgettable cars.

I was reminded of what you said when I read about Renault's plans to electrify the classical R4. Some car magazines got excited and had their artists draw up a modernized design:
    Retro-R4-4.jpg

I would buy that. But then Renault had forgotten what the R4 looked like and have come up with this final design:
    renault-4-exclusive-images-61caec9aec256.jpg?imPolicy=IfOrientation&width=720&height=405&color=%23000000&hash=102335e0fb9b3114a41cdf4dc7817e20bbf323c6d246dc1240f829e606acf227

There is nothing more to say.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The 5 looks great though, hopefully it will keep some of this style.

renault-5-ev-looks-cute-in-paris-still-a-couple-of-years-away_1.jpg
    The 5,as a rally car, looked great, and this one does remind of that, but I have no doubt that it's no more than a hiccup if they push through with it. Or they just make it a horrible car nobody wants to drive.
    Anyone like the look of the TopGear.com car of the year ?
    The shape is ok, but for the last forty years I've found spoilers rather ugly and something that adolescent drivers put on their souped-up twenty-year old Golfs at best. A good car design should make those things superfluous, so it seems that Honda falls short of that goal.
    The shape is ok, but for the last forty years I've found spoilers rather ugly and something that adolescent drivers put on their souped-up twenty-year old Golfs at best. A good car design should make those things superfluous, so it seems that Honda falls short of that goal.
    The front looks messy and the rear wing looks ugly.
    saoid7mcqbqfu2nor1vl
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Impressive that they got those cars together in the studio (well, the Lambo isn't there of course, but not a terrible job comping it in). That Hyundai just looks amazing.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,341
    NEW Range Rover Sport review...nice

That Hyundai reminds of the bmw m1
    bmw-m1-procar-stage-teaser-04.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it's definitely got a bit of that to it.
    Lamborghini Aventador SVJ v 585hp Kia EV6 GT, Audi etron: DRAG RACE
    Guess the winner ?
    Guess the winner ?

So they just made that video to have an excuse to put the Aventador through its paces, right?
    Guess the winner ?

So they just made that video to have an excuse to put the Aventador through its paces, right?

There must be a lot of money to be made on youtube that's why they make these videos i would think.

The Aventador probably needs a new clutch after those races ???
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,341
    Tesla killer from china ?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Here something I thought I’d never ask, but is it just me or do Kia’s look much better than they used to?
    It´s not just you, with the EV6 they have started to look rather exciting.