Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Ah yeah good point, forgot about that bit in Skyfall.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 2,748
    Apparently Craig's Bond had a pill habit too according to Silva and his records. It's a bit vague, and presumably it's painkillers due to his injury, but I'm actually surprised they mentioned in that film. I suppose Fleming's Bond was prone to the odd Benzedrine and champagne...

On a side note, I doubt we'll see Bond do any of the 'usual' recreational drugs in a hurry (weed, cocaine, ecstasy etc) but I've always wondered whether we'll ever get such a moment like that in MR where Bond uses a similar stimulant.
    Yeah I think they just made Bond out that way in Skyfall to tell the story they were telling
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 2,748
    They definitely play around with Bond's drinking in Craig's films to be fair. Someone already mentioned the scene where he gets drunk on the plane in QOS, and of course there's all the SF examples. You also have moments such as after the stairway fight in CR where he's all blooded and downs a full glass of whiskey (which, if anyone's ever tried in real life, is horrible). They play the idea of his drinking for laughs at certain points too (ie "You don't mind a shot at work, do you Bond?"), but I never felt the drinking itself was 'glamourised' and instead presented as a double edged vice for the character. I'm fine with that approach going forward.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Depends on the whisky. I say whisky because, yes, IMO most whiskey is not enjoyable.

And true, they certainly don't seem to glamourize it all the time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That is the only time Bond has been drunk in any of the movies, isn't it? Not making any kind of point, it's just interesting trivia-wise.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    He looks quite miserable here, for sure.

2013-04-02-06-52-52-pm.jpg
    lol yep he was definitely drunk there and in M's apartment, or at least very hungover (but still definitely drunk in the apartment).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Oh yeah I suppose he is a bit drunk in the 'reporting for duty' scene, I hadn't really thought of that. QoS he's a bit more visibly smashed on the plane, but you're right.
    What about the "who sent you?" bit in SP? Clearly his drunkenness is a frequent thing.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    God, I wish the plane scene in QOS had been five times longer. At least.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Oh, to Hell with vaping. I'm all for Bond smoking 60 cigarettes per day, drinking heavily and chasing all the Bond girls he can take in a single film.
    I also want him to conquer and thwart the villain's schemes by the film's end.

A fine quote.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Oh yeah I suppose he is a bit drunk in the 'reporting for duty' scene, I hadn't really thought of that. QoS he's a bit more visibly smashed on the plane, but you're right.

The way his eyes adjust to M flicking on the lights always stood out to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    FoxRox wrote: »
    What about the "who sent you?" bit in SP? Clearly his drunkenness is a frequent thing.

I didn't take him as drunk there, just playful.
    Venutius wrote: »
    God, I wish the plane scene in QOS had been five times longer. At least.

Agreed.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I didn't take him as drunk there, just playful.

Good point, but good call about that scene regardless. It certainly seems like he could be a bit drunk there, but then probably 'sobers up' too fast for the following moments to have actually been drunk really.

Would have hardly been the first or only leap in logic in SP... in any case, wasn't part of the actual original outline that Bond and Madeleine "get drunk?"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Oh, to Hell with vaping. I'm all for Bond smoking 60 cigarettes per day, drinking heavily and chasing all the Bond girls he can take in a single film.
    I also want him to conquer and thwart the villain's schemes by the film's end.

A fine quote.

Haha! I thought it was funny. In all seriousness, it doesn't matter to me if he smokes or not. Today's actors just can't pull it off the like back in Fleming's day. I do know tons of people who still smoke today in spite of the increasing prices of cigarettes.
  • In the first chapter of Goldfinger Fleming writes that Bond 'hadn't been drunk in years'. Which I always find strange because he puts away that much booze in the books that I wonder just how much alcohol would actually get him drunk.
    Not seen SP in a while, but I always thought the implication in that scene was that he was a bit buzzed. Not falling over drunk per say, but definitely not sober. One too many Heinekens presumably.

Anyway, it strikes me that the way the Craig era depicted Bond's drinking was closer to that of the Fleming novels than any of the other films. Throughout the books Bond gets terrible hangovers, drinks to the point it affects him physically in his downtime, and even drinks heavily in his depression after Tracy's death. At the same time you have scenes where Bond and his various allies share a drink, and it's depicted as essentially a necessary vice for the character.

Like I said, I think that idea of alcohol being a double edged sword - something that we see Bond using in both good times and bad - will stay going forward. It's not a dynamic that can be done as easily with cigarettes which isn't an intoxicant (at most you can have Bond waking up with a smoker's cough - which is not very cinematic).
    edited November 2022 Posts: 40,370
    He's chatting with an animal, I always found it a given that he was buzzed, if not drunk. That's one of the rare bits of SP I do enjoy.
    Well, Connery had a little with the mouse in DAF to be fair... and Moore told a a tiger to sit. Both were relatively sober I suppose.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,382
    007HallY wrote: »
    Well, Connery had a little with the mouse in DAF to be fair... and Moore told a a tiger to sit. Both were relatively sober I suppose.

And George Lazenby ordered a Saint Bernard dog to get a Brandy.
    Also, Moore telling a snake to 'hiss off'.
    Lots more examples than I've realized then. I guess it's more fitting that, if Craig's Bond is chatting with an animal, he's more likely drunk than being playful.
    In the first chapter of Goldfinger Fleming writes that Bond 'hadn't been drunk in years'. Which I always find strange because he puts away that much booze in the books that I wonder just how much alcohol would actually get him drunk.

This feels like a part of the mystique of spies and espionage I think, that they're able to put away tons of booze so their adversaries can't use alcohol to their advantage. The spy can consume a ton of alcohol and appear drunk if they want to, but are still in total control of their faculties. The show Archer (a comedy show that's a send up of the James Bond type character, for those unfamiliar) jokes about it and stuff, but yeah, I think it's part of the spy package.
    - so the discussion had reached the point of a massive overreaction to the original innocuous statement.
    You've decided that I was saying you hated the idea of a woman directing a film, but you misunderstood.

Well, you were inarticulate, and that's what I have to work with. You characterized my comment as an overreaction to the prospect of a woman director, and it wasn't any kind of reaction at all to that prospect. Between Sam's comment and where we were, you had moved to the conversation to an argument that it is good to 'engineer' the choice of director, which is what people were then talking about.
    It feels like you're actually trying to intentionally misinterpret now. Again, I was very careful to word it that the people were reacting to Mendes' statement, which you missed.

I didn't miss it. DarthDimi was reacting to your comment, not Sam's. I was reacting to DarthDimi's, not Sam's. You're conflating.
    Again, let's spell it out. Imagine someone saying that it would be good if a British person directed the next one; if the casting net for directors was engineered to stay restricted to just that one social group. Do you imagine this much huffing and puffing and to-ing and fro-ing if they'd said that?

That almost seems like a deliberately dumb example, as you're now talking about maintaining the status quo. No, I don't think there would be much huffing and puffing about maintaining the status quo. If someone said the next director needs to be Canadian, I'm sure the conversation would be 'Well, Canadians are fine, but I don't see why they need to get a Canadian specifically' and then maybe some more elderly people would be a bit more anti-Canadian or something. :)) It'd be just like this.

Oh man, I'm so tired of you twisting my words, intentionally misinterpreting things and being pointlessly argumentative. If you can't understand what I'm saying, don't make up your own version (although I suspect you actually understand what I'm saying very well). I'm not going to reply to each of these points because they're not worth replying to and it would just play into your hands of wanting an argument. Just stop it.

You are wasting your time with the professor, mtm. I got into a tangle with him myself a few months back. He just likes to argue for the sake of arguing, nothing more.

I know you are not one to shy away from a debate too, but even you have your limits.... ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,861
    MI6HQ wrote: »

And George Lazenby ordered a Saint Bernard dog to get a Brandy.
    Also, Moore telling a snake to 'hiss off'.

Heh! I love that we're compiling lists of times 007 spoke to an animal :D Dr Bondlittle.

I like the idea of 'relatively sober' too - perhaps Bond is always just ever so slightly pissed whenever we've seen him, as in Mads Mikkelsen's excellent Another Round film :) He's just constantly on the edge of being properly drunk but just inebriated enough to give him that massive self-confidence he's famous for!
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,895
    He just likes to argue for the sake of arguing
    No, he doesn't.
    Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 12,914
    Venutius wrote: »
    He just likes to argue for the sake of arguing
    No, he doesn't.
    Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

Well that's just contradition, isn't it.

edited November 2022 Posts: 2,895
    No, it isn't...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Maybe Room 12A still has some open seats.