Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    People mention Short Round a lot but I can't get excited him having his own series- I don't know what he's like.
    Indy is different from Star Wars, and indeed Bond, in that he doesn't really inhabit his own world. Bond has Spectre and MI6 with Moneypenny and all that, so if you wanted to do a spinoff you can still set it identifiably in Bond's world. But everything interesting about Indy was put into the character himself, and the idea of doing adventurous archaeology isn't copyrightable, and has been ripped off over the years anyway. So I just don't see how you can do a continuation that isn't about Indy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For a spin-off, I would rather have a Mola Ram tv series.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    "Okay, so according to my Hollywood spies, the Indy 5 title is apparently 'Indiana Jones And The Search For The Dementia Pills'".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    "Okay, so according to my Hollywood spies, the Indy 5 title is apparently 'Indiana Jones And The Search For The Dementia Pills'".

giphy.gif?cid=790b761103c500e58360d37893d7525f286bd9bf0bdaaaca&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Since62 wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

So let’s not buy any more rubbish made up rumours from YouTube liars.

Is Mangold trustworthy on this point ? Perhaps "screenings" would be a reference to in-house screenings, not with any test audiences.

He means no test screenings. The film would obviously have been screened at various stages to the producers and Disney. But if Mangold says, no screenings, it's true.

He's such a great filmmaker I have huge faith that his Indiana Jones film will be great.

Didn't a great filmmaker direct Indy 4 ?

Yes, but Spielberg, out of respect to Lucas, bowed down on some major creative decisions, which he has alluded to since. Indy 4 still has many great scenes, but as a whole it doesn't hang together so well and there are a few too many naff moments like the CG monkey scene and also the killer ants. I just think Mangold will put everything into Indy 5 and not make those same missteps.

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I like the cut of Mangold's jib.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have heard rumors about Indy 5 for several months that don't sound good though I will remain open minded until I watch the film.

The direction does not concern me as the film is in safe hands, though Disney tend to take control and it will be the script and any potential studio tampering which will make or break this film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which rumours have you heard though?
    LucknFate wrote: »
    And Ford's relationship to his Indy character is much different than his Star Wars role he hated. He actually likes making the Indy films, I believe he's said. So I doubt he'd want to kill him off or give him up too easy. I think they make this movie and either continue with Short Round (the only in-universe way to work it out, I think) or completely reboot. Maybe they want Mangold to do one with Ford so it's an easier sell when he reboots it next.

Henry Golding as a grown-up Short Round ? If SR adopted some Indy-isms, it would fit the story. If he added or blended in other things - such as weaponry, techniques, practices from his own geo-historical-family background, it would be very cool. Considering his age at the time of Indiana Jones and the Very Cool Mine-Car Roller Coaster Thrill Ride, having him as a grown up - say, adding ten years - would put it very close to just Post WWII, I think. They'll need a different naming convention. "Short Round and the Pit of Disaster", for example, while, yes, awful overall, wouldn't really work. Besides, a new leading character should get his own title format. By the way - not to prop the films up, but realistically Indy and he should have remained friends. He might even have spent some time growing up under Indy's wing. De-age H Ford in flashbacks ? De-age H Ford for even the 1940s/1950s interactions between SR and IJ ?
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,419
    And Ford's relationship to his Indy character is much different than his Star Wars role he hated. He actually likes making the Indy films, I believe he's said. So I doubt he'd want to kill him off or give him up too easy. I think they make this movie and either continue with Short Round (the only in-universe way to work it out, I think) or completely reboot. Maybe they want Mangold to do one with Ford so it's an easier sell when he reboots it next.

Henry Golding as a grown-up Short Round ? If SR adopted some Indy-isms, it would fit the story. If he added or blended in other things - such as weaponry, techniques, practices from his own geo-historical-family background, it would be very cool. Considering his age at the time of Indiana Jones and the Very Cool Mine-Car Roller Coaster Thrill Ride, having him as a grown up - say, adding ten years - would put it very close to just Post WWII, I think. They'll need a different naming convention. "Short Round and the Pit of Disaster", for example, while, yes, awful overall, wouldn't really work. Besides, a new leading character should get his own title format. By the way - not to prop the films up, but realistically Indy and he should have remained friends. He might even have spent some time growing up under Indy's wing. De-age H Ford in flashbacks ? De-age H Ford for even the 1940s/1950s interactions between SR and IJ ?

Precisely! Though I would love to see Ke Huy Quan get the starring role. I don't mind that he's a little older. But yes, exactly what you say, under Jones' wing for awhile and he returns to take up the mantle. Maybe he goes by something other than "Short Round" now that he's an adult. "Round Out" or "Roundabout."

I was thinking, they could keep Ford for one more movie after this. He's an old professor, telling stories of the past, and they use de-aging tech for the flashbacks. The third act brings the past to the present, and old Indy has to ride once more (but only for a limited amount of screen time).

Thanks for your insights. I did not mean to accept rumors as truth, and just wondered anew about HF and the character. As I've written elsewhere, I still feel ol' "Pirate" Indy should be regarded as canon. What he gets up to in the interim ? I don't know. At some point he gets to be less physically capable, even if that were to occur much later than for lesser mortals. I don't think IJ has to stop were films involving, say, Short Round, to be made. By the way, depending on choice of actor - and I suggested Henry Golding - Short Round might reach average or even taller height. In other words - he may well deserve a name. I don't recall ever reading or hearing a regular name for him. If you REALLY want a mash-up, have him meet up with a de-aged Kurt Russell in a pre-due to timeframes - Big Trouble story !

Precisely! Though I would love to see Ke Huy Quan get the starring role. I don't mind that he's a little older. But yes, exactly what you say, under Jones' wing for awhile and he returns to take up the mantle. Maybe he goes by something other than "Short Round" now that he's an adult. "Round Out" or "Roundabout."

I was thinking, they could keep Ford for one more movie after this. He's an old professor, telling stories of the past, and they use de-aging tech for the flashbacks. The third act brings the past to the present, and old Indy has to ride once more (but only for a limited amount of screen time).

Brilliant ! I see a better name, though, and perhaps someone with knowledge of legends appropriate to the kid's origins would present one.
    I like the cut of Mangold's jib.

Are you starting a rumor that Mangold will next film a pirate movie ? Ahh, the internet...I criticize, yet I leap in, as well...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Reply to when we’ll see the trailer.
    But of COURSE Mangold wants to make a pirate movie ! It's in his name ! Should have realized this ages ago...
  • Just leave it alone Disney. Crystal Skull was bad enough.
    Just leave it alone Disney. Crystal Skull was bad enough.

Well if you can go back in time to 2019 maybe you can stop this you can also stop Covid
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Well if you can go back in time to 2019 maybe you can stop this you can also stop Covid

He's not John Titor, you know.
  • Normally, I'd dismiss a scoop like this but Sneider has an impeccable track record and has worked for pretty much all of the major trade publications so his contacts are legit.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

I'm not a fan of Crystal Skulls but actually love the premise of aliens and archeology; the problem was in the execution, and I place most of the blame on Lucas. Any fault of Spielberg's was his unwavering loyalty to Lucas. There is a much better movie there than ended up on the screen.

I welcome the fresh blood of Magold being brought in and Lucas not being as involved.
    Normally, I'd dismiss a scoop like this but Sneider has an impeccable track record and has worked for pretty much all of the major trade publications so his contacts are legit.

What series?
  • LucknFate wrote: »
    Normally, I'd dismiss a scoop like this but Sneider has an impeccable track record and has worked for pretty much all of the major trade publications so his contacts are legit.

What series?

This one.

In advance, THIS IS A JOKE...
    The ending of the new Yellowstone prequel series, with H Ford, is pretty much a given. Ford agreed to do it only if his character dies before or at the ending.
    Also, an animated series geared to children and stoners called "Jellystone" will feature a revived Yogi Bear and Boo Boo.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,861

Might not be Indy... but it is, isn't it?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2022 Posts: 5,834
    They usually releases images and things just before a trailer so fingers crossed we'll be eating good from tomorrow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    My guess would be it will be the title, perhaps with a teaser poster or image.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,861
    It’s clearly announcing a Jar Jar Binks Disney plus tv show
  • I don't subscribe to Empire so I can't review the article, but the first paragraph does say "the fifth, and as-yet-untitled, Indiana Jones film." So I guess we can rule out getting a title today.