"You killed my dog "...John Wick discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In the sense that it's the same cinematographer returning, sure.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I guess but more that the scenes seem quite repetitive. I know that Wick has a certain style but I thought they would have made a conscious effort to differentiate each entry.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I guess but more that the scenes seem quite repetitive. I know that Wick has a certain style but I thought they would have made a conscious effort to differentiate each entry.

It seems pretty varied to me, keeping the elements of the world intact while spicing up the action - John stuck on the hood of a moving car, action in the desert, bows and arrows, rain-soaked nightclubs, and a gigantic stairwell gunfight.

I guess, though, if you're not into the series, I can see why it all feels "the same." That's how the Marvel series is for me, like I'm just seeing the same film over and over again in these trailers.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Looks great, I am still holding off to buy any of the films in 4K until a full series Boxset is available.

The first 3 are due a rewatch, i have them on HD.
    Looks great, I am still holding off to buy any of the films in 4K until a full series Boxset is available.

I just buy them individually on 4K, I can't be bothered waiting on sets anymore. I'm too impatient.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It looks fun but I still wish they had stopped after the second one. The more we learn about the high table, the less cool it is to me.

I hope Ballerina is more akin to the first two films.

I just buy them individually on 4K, I can't be bothered waiting on sets anymore. I'm too impatient.

I called the offices of the folks working on the Boxset. They affirmed they are working on it and it will get done. To be specific, they said: "We have been of service. We will be of service."
    It looks fun but I still wish they had stopped after the second one. The more we learn about the high table, the less cool it is to me.

I don't mind them fleshing out the universe; what I don't want is a prequel. I don't need to see his "impossible task," I don't want to see him kill three men in a bar with a pencil, etc.

@Since62, that's the right response! I'm hopeful that we get a fifth and final installment in a few years and then such boxsets can finally be completed.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

My initial thought were it would just be a trilogy though at this point god knows how many films they will make. Maybe I should just try to get steel book versions of the films.

My initial thought were it would just be a trilogy though at this point god knows how many films they will make. Maybe I should just try to get steel book versions of the films.

You could go that route for sure. I've seen some steelbooks available for the series here and there. Some of them are really well done.

You could go that route for sure. I've seen some steelbooks available for the series here and there. Some of them are really well done.

I will have a look, I made an effort with The Matrix films and got quite a few collectable Disks, I think John Wick deserves the same as there is a certain look and feel to the series and universe.
    Has anyone zoomed in and counted John Wick's fingers in the trailer for JW 4 ?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Denbigh wrote: »

I did get a bit of a sense of "Oh, that's like that bit from 2. And that's like that bit from 3.", but at the end of the day, we want a John Wick film and that surely looks like a John Wick film. And I trust all of those performers to deliver memorable set-pieces, even if the lore and story may start to bring diminishing returns.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So a formula.

I don't mind them fleshing out the universe; what I don't want is a prequel. I don't need to see his "impossible task," I don't want to see him kill three men in a bar with a pencil, etc.

Seeing him do that in film number two was reference enough to that. I got a good laugh out of it. The issue I have with the third film is how Roger Moore-era Bond it became in terms of its positioning of Wick as this incredibly well revered assassin. It built up the world at the expense of the character, for me. I felt like Wick became a punch line. They're still enjoyable films thanks to the cracking action, but a prime example of why less is more sometimes.
    john-wick-4-poster.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 299
    There are some news about Ballerina:
    https://actionewz.com/movies/john-wick-star-keanu-reeves-reveals-when-ana-de-armas-led-spin-off-ballerina-a338

The movie will take place between Chapter 3 and Chapter 4.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,282
    It seems after the first two films, the franchise is now turning into a martial arts franchise under the veil of a noir action franchise. I still prefer the first two.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,009
    It seems after the first two films, the franchise is now turning into a martial arts one. I still prefer the first two.

Yup. I'm more interested in Ballerina than the next Wick film. I very much enjoy the first two but the third wasn't great. Hopeful that they rediscover form with the fourth though, at the same time. I'll still check it out.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    It seems after the first two films, the franchise is now turning into a martial arts one. I still prefer the first two.

Yup. I'm more interested in Ballerina than the next Wick film.

Exactly. Same here.
    Are the 3 John wick films good? I see the fourth one comes out in march. just getting into them
    Are the 3 John wick films good? I see the fourth one comes out in march. just getting into them

They really are amazing action films, one of my favorite new series of late. They aren't entirely perfect but they have some proper rewatch value and the choreography is way more advanced and professional compared to a lot of other action productions in recent years. Plus, it's Keanu Reeves.

They really are amazing action films, one of my favorite new series of late. They aren't entirely perfect but they have some proper rewatch value and the choreography is way more advanced and professional compared to a lot of other action productions in recent years. Plus, it's Keanu Reeves.

Ok yeah I'm excited it does look good and yeah Keanu reeves is a good actor.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 40,372
    Wick Week starts now. One new exclusive a day, all week, culminating in what appears to be either a final trailer or the first clip from the film on IGN on Friday.

First look at a new poster, with a final trailer confirmed for release this Thursday:

2dtai2mf3zha1.png
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Wick Week starts now. One new exclusive a day, all week, culminating in what appears to be either a final trailer or the first clip from the film on IGN on Friday.

First look at a new poster, with a final trailer confirmed for release this Thursday:

2dtai2mf3zha1.png

Sweet! I'm waiting.
    Nearly 40 minutes longer than Chapter 3. I'm in.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    That's a lot of headshots