Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,419
    My reliable source for Hollywood news has only said so far that they basically put out an "open call" for an Indy show. They're open to anything, they just want ideas. There's no plan. And I think I heard test screenings were good somewhere, let me see if I can find a link.
    Pretty stupid and cliche if true, this was even subverted nicely at the end of KOTCS.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bounding into comics is not a site that should ever be linked, really.
  • Bounding into comics is not a site that should ever be linked, really.

I had never heard of them until this link. Looking over the site now, I can safely say I have never seen a fan/nerd site that more resembled a tabloid. I wouldn't trust a single word I read on there.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A series that follows the exploits of Dr. Henry Jones sr. could be interesting, possibly culminating with the birth of his son.
    talos7 wrote: »
    A series that follows the exploits of Dr. Henry Jones sr. could be interesting, possibly culminating with the birth of his son.

I’d watch.
    As for the rumor that Indy 5 test-screened poorly, would that really be a surprise ? Do you not recall Indy 4 ? Parts of it were terrific, but, by the end of the movie...p.u.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I refuse to believe this one will be even close to the level of KOTCS. I've been wrong before and anything's possible but with Mangold at the helm, I say "no way."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,861
    It would be a surprise, as it's James Mangold.

What wouldn't be a surprise was that the YouTuber who said this -who is the same one who said that Rey would go back in time to become Anakin's mum, Han Solo would be in the Boba Fett show, and who says every few weeks that Kathleen Kennedy has been fired- has made the whole thing up.

When has there ever been a legitimate account from a test screening anyway? I don't recall hearing one before.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I saw 24 new posts and thought they dropped the trailer.

Nevermind
    I saw 24 new posts and thought they dropped the trailer.

Nevermind

I’d love to compile all the posts like this

My favourite was when one of the mods saw a hundred new posts in the ‘who should be Bond’ thread and thought there was news but it was just a bunch of us fighting to the death.
    I thought for sure we would've got the trailer by now since it already leaked.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I've already watched it weeks ago and had totally forgotten. Not trying to dig at the movie, just kind of surprised myself. But it's all coming back now. I thought the trailer was pretty good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The word on the street has been that it will be released with Avatar.
    The interesting thing will be to see how they reveal the title, as it’s so close to the trailer now you’d imagine they’d tie the reveal in. My guess is get Ford to appear on one of the US talk shows to premiere the trailer, and that’s where the title gets announced.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 40,372
    I'd love to see it officially released by the end of the year like that. I plan on seeing that one in theaters so would love to have this trailer attached. I know I'll appreciate it even more when it is because the leaked version's quality was obviously rough.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

So let’s not buy any more rubbish made up rumours from YouTube liars.
    mtm wrote: »

Is Mangold trustworthy on this point ? Perhaps "screenings" would be a reference to in-house screenings, not with any test audiences.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Just hoping this Indy film does well, though. Even if the future of the franchise is always uncertain.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »

Is Mangold trustworthy on this point ? Perhaps "screenings" would be a reference to in-house screenings, not with any test audiences.

It’s a known YouTube liar telling a lie. No need to try and bend over backwards to make it true.

He means no test screenings. The film would obviously have been screened at various stages to the producers and Disney. But if Mangold says, no screenings, it's true.

He's such a great filmmaker I have huge faith that his Indiana Jones film will be great.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it would actually be bizarre if he somehow made a terrible film at this point, so bad that producers wouldn't release: he's sort of the definition of a safe pair of hands. The worst films he's made are probably The Wolverine and Knight and Day, and they're both absolutely fine (I actually quite enjoy K&D). It's so clearly a lie.
    Yeah it would actually be bizarre if he somehow made a terrible film at this point, so bad that producers wouldn't release: he's sort of the definition of a safe pair of hands. The worst films he's made are probably The Wolverine and Knight and Day, and they're both absolutely fine (I actually quite enjoy K&D). It's so clearly a lie.

Yes, I agree. And as you say even The Wolverine and Knight & Day are very well staged. I just can't see him dropping the ball on Indy 5.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

He means no test screenings. The film would obviously have been screened at various stages to the producers and Disney. But if Mangold says, no screenings, it's true.

He's such a great filmmaker I have huge faith that his Indiana Jones film will be great.

Didn't a great filmmaker direct Indy 4 ?

Yes, I agree. And as you say even The Wolverine and Knight & Day are very well staged. I just can't see him dropping the ball on Indy 5.

Knight and Day is an Excellent film ! With or without me as a fan.

As for a director who's done great work before putting out something poor, there are too many examples of that having occurred. You need a good story, and, preferably, a good script.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,861

Didn't a great filmmaker direct Indy 4 ?

And it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible- there are much worse films out there. And the producers didn't decide not to release theatrically and just put it out on DVD instead.
    The 'rumour' is so clearly not true.

No one is saying this film is a certainty to be perfect and the best film ever, but the likelihood of it being unwatchable is pretty low given the track record of the director and writers.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,282
    I think it's the critical reception the filmmakers are looking at, to return the character to its former glory...not necessarily the box office. I think Indy like Bond, will always make money. So the concern is definitely the critical reception. Let's hope they have put something together in the vein of the first 3 films, or the first 2 films.
    The rumors reminded me of VERIFIED, from the horse's mouth stories that: Ford wanted Han Solo killed off films ago, and finally got his request. Craig would film another Bond were his character killed. Both deaths "worked." Each fit the story and made sense. Some folks do not regard the Indy TV show as canon, and they note the producers removed some Old Indy from the video-for-sale version (of the eyepatch Old Indy episode). I think that's a "choose what you like" approach. At any rate - if Indy dies before reaching whatever age he was in the TV episode I assert it would not work. It would not fit or make sense. As for another character inheriting the whip, hat, etc. when he would not yield them to his own son, well: perhaps even he didn't like the whole Mutt story-line and/or casting of the part (River Phoenix for Young Indy GREAT ! and then Shia L for Marion and Indy's son ?? WHAT ?).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You're obviously free to believe what you like, but personally when the rumours come from proven liars, and the director of the film refutes that the event has ever place, let alone what the response was, I tend to think they're clearly not true.
    And Ford's relationship to his Indy character is much different than his Star Wars role he hated. He actually likes making the Indy films, I believe he's said. So I doubt he'd want to kill him off or give him up too easy. I think they make this movie and either continue with Short Round (the only in-universe way to work it out, I think) or completely reboot. Maybe they want Mangold to do one with Ford so it's an easier sell when he reboots it next.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    LucknFate wrote: »
    And Ford's relationship to his Indy character is much different than his Star Wars role he hated. He actually likes making the Indy films, I believe he's said. So I doubt he'd want to kill him off or give him up too easy. I think they make this movie and either continue with Short Round (the only in-universe way to work it out, I think) or completely reboot. Maybe they want Mangold to do one with Ford so it's an easier sell when he reboots it next.

True. He's far more in love with Jones than he was with Solo.