The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    Early reactions for Black Adam describe Brosnan as a "scene-stealer" with a "standout performance."

This pleases me greatly. Pierce was perfect casting for Dr. Fate.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be seeing it as soon as I can exclusively for Brosnan. It's now the only film of his I've not seen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Venutius wrote: »
    Y'know, I thought it was just me that literally couldn't watch Corden for 20 seconds without wanting to give him a slap - glad to know there's wider loathing out there for him! :D

Vaguely relevant to this thread:

James Corden reveals the rudest celebrity he's ever met
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Early reactions for Black Adam describe Brosnan as a "scene-stealer" with a "standout performance."

Love the sound of this. Brosnan is the reason I'll even watch it, as I'm not crazy about superhero films lately...except it involves Batman.
    mtm wrote: »
    Y'know, I thought it was just me that literally couldn't watch Corden for 20 seconds without wanting to give him a slap - glad to know there's wider loathing out there for him! :D

Funny, cause everyone else unanimously says Corden is one of the rudest, most cold and insufferable "celebrities" in existence, all across the board. I'll keep believing Pierce is a saint.

Love the sound of this. Brosnan is the reason I'll even watch it, as I'm not crazy about superhero films lately...except it involves Batman.

You and I are fully aligned in that opinion.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Funny, cause everyone else unanimously says Corden is one of the rudest, most cold and insufferable "celebrities" in existence, all across the board. I'll keep believing Pierce is a saint.

Do they? I've not heard that. I find his TV persona as insufferable as the next person, but I imagined he must be okay in person as he's always getting so many celebs in. He used to get huge amounts of stars for his Sport Relief things.
    Brosnan... I can believe he's like that to be honest. He comes across as quite strange to me, and I recall someone else on the other Bond forum absolutely detesting him after meeting him- this chap was wheelchair-bound and Brosnan apparently said "Don't get up" as a joke. Anecdotal of course, I can't prove it.

Do they? I've not heard that. I find his TV persona as insufferable as the next person, but I imagined he must be okay in person as he's always getting so many celebs in. He used to get huge amounts of stars for his Sport Relief things.
    Brosnan... I can believe he's like that to be honest. He comes across as quite strange to me, and I recall someone else on the other Bond forum absolutely detesting him after meeting him- this chap was wheelchair-bound and Brosnan apparently said "Don't get up" as a joke. Anecdotal of course, I can't prove it.

Look no further than his Reddit AMA that went off the rails as everybody called him out for his cold and narcissistic behavior in real life:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/bqy5zf/i_am_james_corden_alongside_ben_winston_and_five/

Can't say I've ever heard a positive story about the guy that didn't emanate from his own idiotic late night show.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Good to know, I'm far from his greatest fan. Just imagine how rude someone would have to be for someone like Corden to think they're rude! :D
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire

Himself?

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Or he thought the guy was actually trying to get up, which often happens with people in wheelchairs meeting their idols. The guy was probably as tense as can be and might have misunderstood the remark.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Not Sir Patrick Stewart? ;)

Stewart: I want to speak to James, here...
    Corden: :D
    Swerart: ... it is James, isn't it?
    Corden: :(
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Or he thought the guy was actually trying to get up, which often happens with people in wheelchairs meeting their idols. The guy was probably as tense as can be and might have misunderstood the remark.

No, he made it pretty clear what happened. Brosnan thought it was a funny joke, he did not.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I'd never seen Gavin and Stacy, so I think that awards thing with Patrick Stewart was the first time I saw Corden. Him taking public umbrage and the idea that he thought he could put down Patrick Stewart and be a dick about him afterwards spoke volumes. The response to Corden's Reddit 'ask me anything' that Creasy posted was genius - that first post couldn't have been bettered! I believe every word of it too.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,518
    What the hell is this? :)) why are they so mad at each other? Crazy.

Apologies I was trying to quote the Patrick Stewart video.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There was another thing doing the rounds about Corden being an utter tosspot to wait staff in a restaurant, so it seems like it's a common thing for him.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat hospitality workers.
    There was another thing doing the rounds about Corden being an utter tosspot to wait staff in a restaurant, so it seems like it's a common thing for him.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat hospitality workers.

I just saw something earlier today where he was banned from a restaurant due to how he treated the staff.
    Anybody watched Black Adam yet? I won't lie, I enjoyed it. Johnson was surprisingly good and both Brosnan and Hodge knocked it out of the park. It's horribly generic in so many ways and the action and setpieces hold virtually no entertainment for me thanks to all that bad CGI (and constant slow motion) but I dug the story and characters enough to keep hooked throughout. It was fun; nothing special but fun.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,382

Every Bond actor has an attitude.

Remember of how he arrogantly challenged the other Bond actors?

He challenged Craig in a singing contest for a Bond role, and betting that Craig wouldn't likely to win because he's more skilled in singing 😆?

The same for his statements about him being in OHMSS rather than Lazenby?

No against Brosnan, he's a good actor for sure, but he sometimes comes off as a bit insecure and arrogant guy for me, yes, rude might be an exact word.

• Every Bond actor except for Dalton. Stand up guy that one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've never met him. I'd say the only Bond who seems to never have a bad word spoken about him is Roger Moore, and I guess even he got through a couple of wives in perhaps not the most elegant way.
  • Right you are.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Who spoke ill of dear old Tim?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Anybody watched Black Adam yet? I won't lie, I enjoyed it. Johnson was surprisingly good and both Brosnan and Hodge knocked it out of the park. It's horribly generic in so many ways and the action and setpieces hold virtually no entertainment for me thanks to all that bad CGI (and constant slow motion) but I dug the story and characters enough to keep hooked throughout. It was fun; nothing special but fun.

Saw it on the weekend and I would say that I found the CGI to be a little too much. I must say the actors must have many challenges reacting to green screens and trying to imagine the scenery.

Pierce strikes the right balance of humour and wisdom was bang on. He had an unenviable task as with the mask we lost sight of him. I enjoyed the movie, didn't love it but enjoyed it for what it was.
    thedove wrote: »

Saw it on the weekend and I would say that I found the CGI to be a little too much. I must say the actors must have many challenges reacting to green screens and trying to imagine the scenery.

Pierce strikes the right balance of humour and wisdom was bang on. He had an unenviable task as with the mask we lost sight of him. I enjoyed the movie, didn't love it but enjoyed it for what it was.

I feel like I'd be insanely embarrassed trying to speak the lines and perform the actions that are required of them while surrounded entirely by green screen. It's gotta be tough.

And yes, as soon as he donned the mask and got in on the action, I was a bit upset considering we no longer saw that handsome face and his voice was quite distorted, but still a very fun turn from him, one with a surprising bit of emotion as the film progressed.

As you say, no real love here but I did enjoy it. I've seen worse from the genre, that's for sure.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When he wore the mask did they do that thing they do in the Iron Man movies where they show his face in a black void to see his face under the mask?
  • Apart from Gavin and Stacey what has James Corden ever done?
    Apart from Gavin and Stacey what has James Corden ever done?
    He's irritated the absolute shi-, er, hell out of me every time I've seen or heard him, that's for sure.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Back to the Brozza, I thought he was great in Black Adam. Nice to see him in a big Hollywood film again.

Film overall was fun, if a complete CGI overload.
    Murdock wrote: »
    When he wore the mask did they do that thing they do in the Iron Man movies where they show his face in a black void to see his face under the mask?

He doesn't, sadly, but his time in the mask is fairly limited overall, I thought.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Murdock wrote: »

He doesn't, sadly, but his time in the mask is fairly limited overall, I thought.

Agreed, and they did allow him to do voiceover when in the mask which was really smart as I love the timbre of his voice. The dramatic battle at the end he was unmasked which gave the fight more poignancy and gravitas. He was a stand-out in the movie for me.

My only knock was the amount of CGI really made the movie feel fake and turned out any real sense of danger for me. I thought all the actors did their best and many had some interesting story arcs. I would not watch a Hawkman spin-off, the 2 junior heroes had some nice scenes together and with the vets. The Rock was The Rock!