'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I hope Ace and Tegan get some good screen time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2022 Posts: 13,882

That and I hope that Chibnall doesn't screw up their return in some way.

What does she shout that the end?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The Doctor shouts 'Jaz', in the last episode they were implying there was a more than friend relationship between them despite no evidence of any chemistry at all throughout the shows.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

The Doctor shouts 'Jaz', in the last episode they were implying there was a more than friend relationship between them despite no evidence of any chemistry at all throughout the shows.

I had heard something about that, but to be honest, I had already checked by that time.
    There's not a single thing in that trailer that makes me want to watch it
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well she dies at the end and David Tennant is (probably) in it. So that's something.
    I glad the Doctor back as a Man. Let hope The Saint & James Bond don't follow his footsteps at all.

So much character development and nostalgia.
    Doesn't look like I missed much, if i'm honest.

Leading into the finale with Ace etc, that trailer pretty much tells you everything you need to know going in.

Leading into the finale with Ace etc, that trailer pretty much tells you everything you need to know going in.

I would feel better if Ace's return happened under the control of RTD (or even Moffat to be fair). But because it's Chibnall, i'm worried about how baaad this is going to be. Please, please, please don't ruin Ace. [-O<

I would feel better if Ace's return happened under the control of RTD (or even Moffat to be fair). But because it's Chibnall, i'm worried about how baaad this is going to be. Please, please, please don't ruin Ace. [-O<

Hopefully the strength of Ace's character will rise above everything else.

Hopefully the strength of Ace's character will rise above everything else.

I have my fingers and toes crossed. I will be clutching my ? umbrella, praying to the Gods of Ragnorok, all though those 90 mins, that right at the end of his reign, that Chibnall will pull this off.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    My concern is that it'll feel more like fan fiction as opposed to the compelling return of an old favourite.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,861

I don't think it'll ruin her, I just think it'll do nothing with her or Tegan's characters- they'll just be there because he thought it'll good to bring back some old characters: that's as far as his thinking goes. Look at when Captain Jack came back: he had absolutely no reason to be there. He didn't add anything, have a character journey or impart any knowledge (he told Yaz that "you don't get to decide when to leave" the Doctor, and then promptly decided to leave again :)) ).
    Compare with when Sarah Jane came back: there was an actual story there. Rose's whole relationship with the Doctor was reframed- it was a proper bit of character development. Chibnall will put Ace in just so she can wear the jacket and bash a Dalek, then she'll disappear, having served no purpose.
    Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but it's hard to imagine he'll suddenly start writing them well on his very last day.
    I don't for one second think that Chibnall will improve in his final (god I hope this is his final...) contribution to the show. I'm too afraid that he has brought back two fondly remembered companions (one of which is my favourite), only for him to mess them up in some way.

Chris Chibnall, the man with the brown touch. Everything he touches, turns to...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't expect him to mess it up particularly, just not do anything at all with them.

The Captain Jack thing was a bit of a lesson to all of those fans who demand to just see old characters return in the shows/films they like: there has to be a reason, something you actually want to say, any time you bring back an old character. Just seeing the actor wearing the costume again isn't enough, and can in fact be a very hollow experience if it's done for no other reason than 'let's bring them back'.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Just realized the centennial Doctor Who episode is on tonight 1930 UK time, runtime 90 minutes. I will watch it live!
    Lucky you ! I'll have to wait tomorrow, and buy it on iTunes to be able to watch it. So, I'll probably be subjected to a lot of spoilers before then. Today, I'll have to make do with what "Next Time" trailer there'll be on YouTube, if any.
    I am looking forward to the regeneration. <:-P
    I might be a bit late watching it, but will post my thought when I can. Unless I miss it, as I keep forgetting it is coming.
    I might be a bit late watching it, but will post my thought when I can. Unless I miss it, as I keep forgetting it is coming.

It will be on BBCiPLAYER for some time, currently every season of Doctor Who since it rebooted with Christopher Eccleston is on there.

I may rewatch The Village of the Angels from the Flux mini series, it for me is Jodie's best episode by far.
    Avoid spoilers at all costs...
    Chibnall decided to actually make a great Doctor Who episode though some plot points were confusing admittedly. Doctor Who fans don't want to miss this one, you will understand when you watch it. My eyes welled up a few times, genuinely amazing moments.

Doctor Who returns 2023... | Teaser Trailer |
    There were some bits I didn't understand (and not just because the gap since the last episode that I watched) and I can't stand this overly melodramatic/borderline campy take on the Master that has been there since Simm, but there were times when I had such a big grin on my face. All in all, Chibnall actually pulled this off. =D>
    Here's something extra :

@MajorDSmythe The three part finale to season 12 which include the episodes The Haunting of Villa Diodati/Ascension of the Cybermen/The Timeless Children set up where the Master and the Cybermen are at this point going into Jodie's finale.
    ---
    What the Master did to the Doctor made no sense to me at all, Chibnall literally abandoned a lot of what he set up in previous season 13 Flux. I was expecting answers to a lot of what was set up in Flux.

Going forward I am genuinely interested to see what happens which is the first time I have felt like that in years regarding Doctor Who.

Ah, ok. I'll probably read up on those stories.

Did I miss something? I don't get why The Master did what he did.
    Couldn't he have done it as himself?

That wasn't explained, was it?

Looking at the brief snippet we got of the 2023 special, it looks very intriguing.
    Ah, ok. I'll probably read up on those stories.

Did I miss something? I don't get why The Master did what he did.
    Couldn't he have done it as himself?

That wasn't explained, was it?

Looking at the brief snippet we got of the 2023 special, it looks very intriguing.

It made absolutely no sense to me other than it was the writers way to give us the great moment we got. Ace was awesome not missed a step.
    Was that Ian Chesterson?