The Sound of 007 in Concert - Royal Albert Hall, Oct 4th 2022

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Disappointing. I'll still check it out on Prime.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There’s still plenty to enjoy. And you can spot me, too! 😄
  • Very much enjoyed what I saw. Wish I could have been there.

Shirley Bassey still has it. Her rendition of GF gave me goosebumps.

Loved Ella Eyre's version of LTK. Much better than the original. Skin's LALD was also fantastic.

What was really cool was seeing David Arnold and Hans Zimmer play on stage together.

And who knew David Arnold could sing so well?!! Loved his YKMN.

Wonderful stuff.

I saw Arnold play Bond in concert once and was similarly surprised and impressed by his singing talent. You can also hear him sing the demo of "Only Myself to Blame" on the most recent release of the TWINE soundtrack. It sounds better than the Scott Walker version, IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not sure how visible it is on the Prime version, but he played in some role on pretty much every track.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Arnold does a great rendition of “No Good About Goodbye”. It’s somewhere on YouTube I believe.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Just watched the Prime version of the concert, and I thought it was awesome. Not ashamed to say I got a bit emotional in the beginning with Dame Shirley Bassey; she's so incredible, makes me very very proud to be a Bond fan that she decided to be as big a part of the franchise as she did. And she belts incredibly.
    The gentleman who followed who sang From Russia With Love did a fantastic job. Very difficult to follow Shirley though.
    I'm not sure what I was expecting from Lulu with The Man With The Golden Gun, but god damn can that woman still sing. One of my favourite themes and she sang it as though she hadn't aged a day. Such incredible talent. It was also really cool to see Garbage perform TWINE, though I'm not too hot on that song, they did a fantastic job.

As far as the non-original performers, Emma Lindars who performed Skyfall was clearly an incredible singer, but one does wish we just had Adele for this performance. Ella Eyre may have been my favourite singer of the non-original performers. At Amazon we only saw Licence to Kill, which is a track I've recently come to appreciate more, and her vocals were astounding. I would have loved to hear Nobody Does It Better by her, but alas. Let's get her to do the next Bond theme please.
    Skin's Live and Let Die was fantastic and I think she had my favourite look/costume of the night. You could tell from the beginning notes that she was a bomb waiting to go off. And that smile! I demand a LALD remake where she sings the tune and also plays Baron Samedi.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention Celeste's You Only Live Twice, which is another one of my favourite themes. Her voice was incendiary and I loved listening to it, I didn't love all of her specific note-change choices in the song, but that's her call.

David Arnold's tribute to Chris Cornell was really touching. I didn't know they were as close as they were. When he said he was going to sing You Know My Name I was definitely a little worried... but then he opened his mouth, and my god. What the hell? He's a brilliant singer! And guitar player as well. That was probably the most pleasant surprise of the film. Hans Zimmer on guitar, not so much. :)) It's clearly not his forte, and I like how apparently "No Time To Die" is just the Bond theme, and then Cuba Chase. :))

Would really have loved Adele, Sam, and Billie to have done Skyfall, Writing's On the Wall, and No Time To Die respectively, but alas. It was a brilliant concert.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I did say ‘wow’ when Skin walked out: we were sat quite close to the stage and she just looked incredible.
    I know what you mean about Skyfall: Ms Lindars did an amazing job by anyone’s standard, and then I watched a video of Adele performing it live elsewhere and… well she’s just on another level. Bond themes have had many amazing vocalists, but she’s got to be one of the very best, hasn’t she? It’s probably her, Tom, Shirley and Louis on the top tier, isn’t it?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Sorry if this is not the thread for the documentary, but what about this??

yYe15h9.jpg

SeqN2Cw.jpg

It's a 1966 photo during the filming of Help! Why the completely unnecessary photoshop??
  • RyanRyan Canada
    ggl007 wrote: »

yYe15h9.jpg

SeqN2Cw.jpg

It's a 1966 photo during the filming of Help! Why the completely unnecessary photoshop??

Good catch! In all likelihood it was just to have a visual to go with the audio of Sir Paul talking about it. Like when Michael Caine is talking about staying over at John Barry's - it's not like the footage shown is actually the moment Barry sat down and played Goldfinger on the piano. It's a recreation for a visual aid. That sort of dramatization is done in documentaries all the time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, and the rather superb bit where they alter Roger’s main strike note taking in AVTAK to become a list of possible Bond song singers :))
  • echoecho 007 in New York

yYe15h9.jpg

SeqN2Cw.jpg

Also, it is obvious that that is a much younger Paul than in 1972.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I was watching this earlier and in a few shots of the audience you can spot Chris Corbould, Lashana Lynch (and her mum I think!) and Steve Coogan. Can you spot anyone else?
    Petula Clark and Mayam D'Abo were another two stars there it turns out.

Here's the set list from Facebook if anyone's interested:
    311053569_10160452864171399_8032381643727897708_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=4Xh6fGYvFvEAX-aGTFl&_nc_ht=scontent-lcy1-1.xx&oh=00_AT-2hmhnK1L9zC4IG0hZHNUAvxL_KTHSD2RwWJpJkDhyKQ&oe=63470B1C
    310955337_10160452865761399_2239488516055812680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=Ws73Nr5Ne0UAX8s7Mrh&_nc_ht=scontent-lcy1-1.xx&oh=00_AT-KmbTlGAZVhW9Gewfekxjo5ooWbZDgDIrveO4Usc8Usg&oe=63464878

Can you see that?
    Yes, thank you!

I remember seeing Lashana and completely blanking on her name lol
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,985
    mtm wrote: »
    I was watching this earlier and in a few shots of the audience you can spot Chris Corbould, Lashana Lynch (and her mum I think!) and Steve Coogan. Can you spot anyone else?
    Petula Clark and Mayam D'Abo were another two stars there it turns out.

Here's the set list from Facebook if anyone's interested:
    311053569_10160452864171399_8032381643727897708_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=4Xh6fGYvFvEAX-aGTFl&_nc_ht=scontent-lcy1-1.xx&oh=00_AT-2hmhnK1L9zC4IG0hZHNUAvxL_KTHSD2RwWJpJkDhyKQ&oe=63470B1C
    310955337_10160452865761399_2239488516055812680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=Ws73Nr5Ne0UAX8s7Mrh&_nc_ht=scontent-lcy1-1.xx&oh=00_AT-KmbTlGAZVhW9Gewfekxjo5ooWbZDgDIrveO4Usc8Usg&oe=63464878

Can you see that?

Damn, would have loved to hear Ella Eyre do 'Nobody Does It Better'
    @LeonardPine my thoughts exactly. Her Licence to Kill was phenomenal.

Hopefully it'll be possible to get the full concert sometime.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's on YouTube in phone-recorded format. She was good.
    Also there was a snippet of the piano version of Goldfinger, implication being it was John Barry playing it... I would love to hear the full version of that.
    This was in the documentary, when Michael Caine was talking about it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That would just be acted out for the doco though I’m sure.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If anyone is interested in discussing the documentary itself, there's a thread for that now.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    What song(s) Becky Hill was supposed to sing? For Chrissie Hynde, it's obvious (due to S&S) that it would have been "Live and Let Die", but I have no idea about Hill.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2022 Posts: 5,921
    Being from the US, I didn't know most of the singers but I thought Ella Eyre was quite good.

Is that Paloma Faith's usual singing voice? She sounded a lot like Tina Turner.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Faith usually sounds something like that, but did seem to be just copying Turner's performance yeah. She also talks in a ridiculous pixie voice, which makes you wonder which of the two she's putting on more; perhaps it's both. She's not really a very serious artist, although is fairly well-known.
    I saw her previously at another Albert Hall charity show which David Arnold was involved with, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I was excited to hear Paloma Faith's version of GoldenEye, but ultimately I found it very poor. I enjoyed the concert, as it's always great to hear Bond stuff live, but I thought the orchestra performance was lacking in some places. I'm sure it was great live and that it has a lot to do with the recording/mixing of the video version, but a few of the songs lacked punch imo.

Dame Shirley is still a class act. I loved David Arnold's tribute to Chris Cornell. Skin's version of LALD is a blast.

I enjoyed the documentary a lot. Very well put together.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Paloma did a fair bit of low-level, nudge-nudge pushing to do the next Bond song after SF - probably shot herself in the foot by making it so publicly obvious that she was interested, though.
    I though Paloma was great, but I agree that I wanted a bit more from the orchestra for GoldenEye.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes the 'you'll never know' strings part failed to really take off the second time around like it does on the original version.
    It was nice to hear a genuinely orchestral version of it though. I wonder if Mr Arnold used his arrangement of it from the Nicole Scherzinger version.

I was hoping that TWINE would be the arrangement from the film, I like the extra twiddles on that.
  • astansillastansill London
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already but someone has put together a “full concert” edit using footage from Amazon Prime and filled in the gaps. For those of you interested, find it here:
    I really do hope Amazon come to their senses and upload a full uncut version or even better release an extended documentary/ concert Blu Ray!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    That "someone" is Javier "58" from Archivo 007 and La Casa Snorky. Cheers! ;)
  • astansillastansill London
    That "someone" is Javier "58" from Archivo 007 and La Casa Snorky. Cheers! ;)
    Excellent work! 👍