What is your favourite/least favourite Pre-Title-Sequence?

Comments

this conversation should always begin and end with
    MR

Two men, one parachute. That was the greatest.
    Honorable mentions:
    OHMSS
    TSWLM
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    DAD, just too many machine guns and flying bullets during the hovercraft chase and not enough cover for Bond to explain how he escapes without a hit. It makes the villains seem highly incompetent. At least in the archives scene in GE, it was plausible for Bond and Natalya to hide behind bookcases and there was a tight metal walkway where many bullets might not make it through to the target.

You could say the same about tons of other scenes though (Bond not getting hit). What about CR, at the Embassy, or in any one of the big battle scenes from the earlier films. And not just in Bond films too, the classic "run away while bullets fly everywhere" scene happens in tons of action movies. Watch this clip.

• DAD, just too many machine guns and flying bullets during the hovercraft chase and not enough cover for Bond to explain how he escapes without a hit. It makes the villains seem highly incompetent. At least in the archives scene in GE, it was plausible for Bond and Natalya to hide behind bookcases and there was a tight metal walkway where many bullets might not make it through to the target.

You could say the same about tons of other scenes though (Bond not getting hit). What about CR, at the Embassy, or in any one of the big battle scenes from the earlier films. And not just in Bond films too, the classic "run away while bullets fly everywhere" scene happens in tons of action movies. Watch this clip.

At the embassy he had walls and a human shield in Mollaka. A little easier to rationalize it. And I agree with you in general on this point, I appreciate it when the hero suffers damage, such as in the Die Hard movies.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    True, but if the bad guys were shooting at the hovercraft from behind, he had the big fan at the back protecting him. I do like it better when the hero takes a shot or two and gets hurt though, I just don't mind if he doesn't. Like you said, Die Hard is a good example of the hero getting hurt.
    00Beast wrote:
    [
    He dissed the GoldenEye pre-titler sequence.......oh my goodness.....my rage meter is rising rapidly!!!!

Welll...tremble with fear 00B..

I have just done a review of GE after not seeing it all the way through for five years.

It is going to blow your minds,,,

• edited July 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I agree with SirHenry
    DAD has just too many MG's as does most of Brosnan films. By the 1990's MG's were sexy and audiences clammored for them. Bond was just following the current trend.
    Die Hard (all of them)
    Terminator (1and 2)
    Predator 1
    Commando
    the list goes on and on.
    I don't ever recall seeing Sean fire a MG and Roger, George and Timothy very very rarely. Brozza fires more MG's in his four films than all the other Bonds combined (5 actors, 18 films)
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I agree with SirHenry
    DAD has just too many MG's as those most of Brosnan films. By the 1990's MG's were sexy and audiences clammored for them. Bond was just following the current trend.
    Die Hard (all of them)
    Terminator (1and 2)
    Predator 1
    Commando
    the list goes on and on.
    I don't ever recall seeing Sean fire a MG and Roger, George and Timothy very very rarely. Brozza fires more MG's in his four films than all the other Bonds combined (5 actors, 18 films)

I love a good machine gun shoot-out! It is just one of the many reasons why I love the Brosnan era. Plenty of amazing shoot-outs! As for your post, you're right, I don't think Connery ever fired a machine gun. I know Moore did in TSWLM during the Liparus battle, Timothy did during TLD airbase raid, and George did during the Piz Gloria attack.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    actonsteve wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    [
    He dissed the GoldenEye pre-titler sequence.......oh my goodness.....my rage meter is rising rapidly!!!!

Welll...tremble with fear 00B..

I have just done a review of GE after not seeing it all the way through for five years.

It is going to blow your minds,,,

Where can we see this masterpiece?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2012 Posts: 9,117
    doubleoego wrote:
    <blockquote rel="JWESTBROOK">Nobody else likes the QoS pre-title? I happen to love the quick cuts at the beginning b/w the lake and the car; a sort of contast b/w natural beauty and man made beauty. And then BAM, one of the best car chases in a movie in forever (even though ALOT don't like it for whatever reason) and then it ends with a smooth "Its time to get out" accompanied by the perfect smirk. Too bad that trash of a song followed, (not to mention a relatively forgettable Bond movie).

</blockquote>

I personally feel that the PTS to QoS could have been great and a worthy contender had Forster dispensed with the rather lame idea of the audience experiencing the frenetic motions Bond himself was experiencing.

Although I have a lot of issues with the editing which render the action practically unintelligible, there is some fine stuntwork here and the shot of the Alfa going off the cliff is lush.

However there's no way that the QOS PTS can rank anywhere than somewhere in the bottom half as it is missing the gunbarrel - it is that important. CR gets away with it with the whole reboot/black & white thing and it does give us a gunbarrel into the titles but with QOS you sit there wondering 'am I watching a Bond film here?'

Mind you when Babs and MGW saw what a shambles MK1 had made of it perhaps they thought it better to tag in on the end in case people walked out in disgust if they left it at the start.

A really poor decision by EON and one which surely will be rectified for SF unless they are mad.
    Watching the opening pre credits sequence of Quantum of Solace is worse than watching the Blair Witch Project from a Trampoline, anybody keep track of what the hell actually was going on during the chase in question? Yes, I have seen it again, recently, before the accusations fly.. Opinions haven't changed I'm afraid, still once again, an overall disappointment

If I was to do a quick list of moments in pre credits sequences and maybe rank them quickly -

#1 The free fall from the airplane in Moonraker

#2 Scaramanga and Rodney in the Fun Palace, TMWTGG

#3 Astrojet, Roger Moore, entire sequence, Octopussy, could well be #2 actually

#4 Hovercrafts, North Korea, Brosnan, DAD

#5 Lazenby and fight with thugs and rescue of Di Vicenzo, OHMSS

That will do for now, but there were some outstanding moments for sure

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited November 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Ranking them all but Dr No.

1. TWINE
    2. CR
    3. GF
    4. TSWLM
    5. TLD
    6. SF
    7. GE
    8. OP
    9. TND
    10. DAD
    11. LTK
    12. TB
    13. YOLT
    14. FRWL
    15. MR
    16. OHMSS
    17. TMWTGG
    18. QOS
    19. FYEO
    20. AVTAK
    21. DAF
    22. LALD

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    my favorite has always been the PTS in The Living Daylights..

i just love the way Dalton is introduced as Bond.. you get 3 '00' agents in a training exercise, and you don't know which one is Bond right away, his big reveal isn't until the one agent gets executed... it's a nice dramatic build up - and i like the way that they show you that Dalton's Bond is going to be much different than Moore's.. he's more aggressive and has a meaner edge.... and that the two other agents were intentionally made to resemble previous Bonds: Roger Moore and George Lazenby, in a 'wink wink' way, showing us that the new Bond is the superior model..

plus the awesome synth Bond theme from John Barry doesn't hurt either
    00Beast wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I agree with SirHenry
    DAD has just too many MG's as those most of Brosnan films. By the 1990's MG's were sexy and audiences clammored for them. Bond was just following the current trend.
    Die Hard (all of them)
    Terminator (1and 2)
    Predator 1
    Commando
    the list goes on and on.

I love a good machine gun shoot-out! It is just one of the many reasons why I love the Brosnan era. Plenty of amazing shoot-outs! As for your post, you're right, I don't think Connery ever fired a machine gun. I know Moore did in TSWLM during the Liparus battle, Timothy did during TLD airbase raid, and George did during the Piz Gloria attack.

Sean did in NSNA, in the opening scene, after he's been all stealthy and gotten onto the roof, he drops a stun grenade through the window, swings through, and takes out the guys inside with a machine gun.

Actually, technichally it's not a PTS (because there's no title sequence), I'd put NSNA up as one of the best Bond openings.
    Watching FYEO, I'm really quite impressed with the PTS. It holds up well and is still kind of camp. A good mix and one I had forgotten.

Not high on many people's radar according to this thread, as well.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS
    GF
    CR
    TLD
    TSWLM
    MR

Really? Controversial.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Really? Controversial.

It's a cute sequence but I really don't buy that the sharpest shot in the world uses such a juvenile and unchallenging training field.
    You couldn't make it up

My favorite is The World Is Not Enough, it is the longest and best, people have said all that was needed was the intro in Bilbao. Hogwash. That wouldn't have been much of an intro. The subsequent thrills and spills on the Thames and Bond watersports and all and balloon climax make it the best ever for me. Only spoiled by some asinine sound effects as Bond rolls down the structure at the very end as the credits intro looms large
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    My very favorite is The World is Not Enough - it's fantastic! Close is The Spy Who Loved Me. :)
    You couldn't make it up

My favorite is The World Is Not Enough, it is the longest and best, people have said all that was needed was the intro in Bilbao. Hogwash. That wouldn't have been much of an intro. The subsequent thrills and spills on the Thames and Bond watersports and all and balloon climax make it the best ever for me. Only spoiled by some asinine sound effects as Bond rolls down the structure at the very end as the credits intro looms large

Hmm. Didnt you claim further up that MR was your favourite followed by TMWTGG? Or are you now trying to distance yourself from rating Scaramangas fun palace above TSWLM, OP, GE and yes TWINE?

You know something Baltimore - youre fickle.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I can be called fickle too about some things. :) My favorites do change sometimes.
    Well go ahead, and extent to that every participant on the forum if you wish

Every member has a change of all things Bond, from time to time, I'm a part of that as Wizard of Ice may be doubtless. Moonraker may well be in the top three, but I've usually stated that TWINE is my favorite opening. These ratings are subject to change, it applies to everybody who participates
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 612
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (My favourite sequence in all Bond cinema)
    2. The Living Daylights
    3. Quantum of Solace
    4. GoldenEye
    5. Licence to Kill
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    The World Is Not Enough is my favorite one of all! No other Bond movie in my mind has beaten that pre-title scene in terms of scale....
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Watching FYEO, I'm really quite impressed with the PTS. It holds up well and is still kind of camp. A good mix and one I had forgotten.

Not high on many people's radar according to this thread, as well.

I like most of it, it's just Blofelds death. They should've thought of something cooler. Also, Blofeld seems more of a supervillian parody, with bad puns and that steretype evil laugh.
    00Beast wrote:
    I love a good machine gun shoot-out!

Well, machine guns shoot-outs are awesome, especially the archives shoot-out in GE.

But,

Suits and handguns > Machine guns and camouflage. If you got to kill people, you must look good while doing this.

I'm all down with the pistol fights, for sure, like in FRWL at the gypsy camp. Still though, in terms of preference, I'd take big scale machine gun shoot-outs, and you can still look good while doing so. Just take my aforementioned example of the Russian Archives battle with Pierce in that classys suit, or even in TND aboard the Stealth Boat, with Pierce in the cool black covert fatigues.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not sure if I've answered before, but definitely the PTS of GE. Brosnan's entrance, along with he and Bean teaming up to absolutely demolish Russian goons with AK's is incredibly entertaining to watch.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm not sure if I've answered before, but definitely the PTS of GE. Brosnan's entrance, along with he and Bean teaming up to absolutely demolish Russian goons with AK's is incredibly entertaining to watch.

It's almost like a separate Bond movie on its own, especially when you consider the timeline of events there, with it being 1986.