'Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes' and franchise discussion.

Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
New ‘Planet of the Apes’ Movie Gets Title and First Look, Will Star ‘The Witcher’s’ Freya Allan
https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2022/film/news/planet-of-the-apes-new-movie-title-photo-freya-allan-1235388309/amp/

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    As a fan of the series I am happy with this news, the title suggests we are right back at the beginning parrelleling the original film from 1968.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Did the last trilogy/series wrap up? The last I saw was in theaters, the one with Franco and a bunch of apes on a bridge, but I didn't like it and tuned out to the rest of the sequels. I dig Freya in The Witcher though so I may have to keep an eye out for this one eventually.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2022 Posts: 4,416
    Direct link https://variety.com/2022/film/news/planet-of-the-apes-new-movie-title-photo-freya-allan-1235388309/
    20th Century Studios has revealed the first look and title of the latest addition to the “Planet of the Apes” franchise: “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes.”

Starring “The Witcher’s” Freya Allan, Owen Teague and Peter Macon, the next chapter of the “Planet of the Apes” saga will pick up several years after the conclusion of 2017’s “War for the Planet of the Apes.”

“Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” will be helmed by Wes Ball, director of “The Maze Runner” trilogy. The screenplay is by Josh Friedman, Patrick Aison, and “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver.

Those two writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (writer 3 and 4) also wrote second movie, did screenplay for Avatar 3. Josh Friedman (Second writer) did screenplay for Avatar 2. Patrick Aison name is not credit yet om imdb (He wil be 5th writer then..) for the movie, he working on that Preditor remake.

I haven't seen 3th movie yet, in middle of release on BD Fox be taken over what made the already expensive/difficult 2 disc 3D release even more difficult to get.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Did the last trilogy/series wrap up? The last I saw was in theaters, the one with Franco and a bunch of apes on a bridge, but I didn't like it and tuned out to the rest of the sequels. I dig Freya in The Witcher though so I may have to keep an eye out for this one eventually.

I am more a fan of the original series I have watched them hundreds of times. I like part 1 and 2 of the recent trilogy though I felt War of the Planet of the Apes was a mixed bag and have not revisted it that much, off the top of my head I can't remember exactly what happens at the end. If Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is the Apes dominating Earth I am all in, I would like to see how that is realised with modern film making.

I am familiar with Freya though only her brief appearances in Season 1, I have not watched The Witcher beyond that since my refusal to subscribe to Netflix, I should probably sub for one month and binge watch the content I missed.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I am more a fan of the original series I have watched them hundreds of times. I like part 1 and 2 of the recent trilogy though I felt War of the Planet of the Apes was a mixed bag and have not revisted it that much, off the top of my head I can't remember exactly what happens at the end. If Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is the Apes dominating Earth I am all in, I would like to see how that is realised with modern film making.

I am familiar with Freya though only her brief appearances in Season 1, I have not watched The Witcher beyond that since my refusal to subscribe to Netflix, I should probably sub for one month and binge watch the content I missed.

My only experience with the originals was that first film. I saw it for the first time a couple years back and quite enjoyed it. I need to check out the others but I've heard they can be quite the mixed bag.

Can't fault you there with avoiding Netflix and sticking with it. I was just discussing on Facebook with someone else my utter distaste for them in canceling Santa Clarita Diet a couple of years back. I only have Netflix now because of my girlfriend; if she didn't want it anymore, I would've canceled a long while back. I'd sooner "sail the high seas" than give them my business.

But yes, that "subscribe for a month and burn through all the good content before canceling" plan is probably the best way to go.
    Planet of the Apes was my first favorite movie series when I was a kid. I saw the Bond films back then when they came out and were on TV, but the Apes were my first experience with fandom. I own the new trilogy but in truth have never watched them as I love the original 5 on Blu.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am looking forward to this one much more than I am to the next Jurassic Park.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I don't know, like the fast and furious series, this series never really clicked with me, but I know it's almost universally loved and better than the F&F films.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Jerry Goldsmith played a part in me liking some of the earlier films his scores were fantastic, I even would cite The Planet of the Apes 1968 as well as Star Trek and 2001 as being the main reason I have loved Science Fiction all my life.

My Ranking of the Original movies...

1. The Planet of the Apes
    2. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes ( 'Unrated' ending version of the film which is far superior IMO)...

The Theatrical ending was the total opposite of this scene and changed the course of the early film series, then we ended up getting the abysmal sequel Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

3. Escape from the Planet of the Apes
    4. Beneath the Planet of the Apes
    5. Battle for the Planet of the Apes

I watched The Planet of the Apes TV show when I was very young though have very vague memories of it.

My Ranking of the more recent movies...

1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    2. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    3. War for the Planet of the Apes this film has some great scenes early on though the film loses me midway through, I should give this trilogy a revisit its been a while.

I also own Tim Burton's The Planet of the Apes I have very ;little time for the film.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Sounds good to me, and I am looking forward to it.

This also seems like a good place to flog my own Apeworld sequel, "The Bridge on the Planet of the Apes." For those of you who haven't read it before, it goes something like this:

Okay, so the apes are trying to build this bridge, see, and they have human slaves doing all the grunt work. But the project is stalled until one day the apes capture a civil engineer, and this civil engineer is all like, “You damn monkeys don’t know the first thing about building a proper bridge. I can build this bridge for you, but we have to do it my way. I’m going to need total authority. More material. And better conditions for my men: more food, longer rest periods, et cetera.”

The apes eventually cave into his demands. At first, the other humans are relieved and grateful to have the extra food and extra rest and all… but eventually they realize, “Whoa! If we ever finish building this bridge on the planet of the apes, then Katie bar the door!”

So the conflicts here are not only ape vs man and man vs nature and nature vs technology, but also man vs man. You can see the potential for drama.

Inevitably the day comes when the bridge on the planet of the apes is finally finished, and the civil engineer is all proud of himself for a minute… but when he sees the army of monkeys lining up to come marching across the bridge, he’s all of a sudden like, “My god, what have I done?”

But just as the ape army reaches the middle of the bridge…

(SPOILERS!)

…soaring out of the sky with a machine pistol blazing in each hand comes a one-man army named JAMES BOND! And he’s wearing his demolition Derby!*

*or possibly a Trilby.

He blows up that bridge real good. The feces hits the fan. Madness ensues. Cue music!

JAMES BOND WILL RETURN in “GORILLAFINGER.”

(Note: in this story, James Bond does not—repeat, does NOT—get the girl.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not familiar with Freya, but I wonder if she will be playing a grown-up Nova?

@Creasy47 , the latest film concluded with
    Caesar bringing the apes (and Nova) to the promised land and freedom like an ape Moses, and then dying.
    Not familiar with Freya, but I wonder if she will be playing a grown-up Nova?

@Creasy47 , the latest film concluded with
    Caesar bringing the apes (and Nova) to the promised land and freedom like an ape Moses, and then dying.

Yeah I think the first I saw was the Franco one that I believe was part of a new trilogy but no idea how that went. I recall so little from the newer films.
    Well done, @DrunkIrishPoet.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DarthDimi wrote: »

They can’t be making any more JP, can they?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

They can’t be making any more JP, can they?

Of course not. This is desinformation, misinformation, flawed information, fake information, wrong information, lying information and malign information. It is also uninformation and outformation.
    That said, they most likely will.
    Of the reboot, I've only seen the first two movies. I really enjoyed them and thus I'm quite interested about this one. The original was a classic. I also read the novel, a classic in its own right.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Of the reboot, I've only seen the first two movies. I really enjoyed them and thus I'm quite interested about this one. The original was a classic. I also read the novel, a classic in its own right.

The novel made me realise that Burton's film wasn't too far off. 😉
    Ludovico wrote: »

The novel made me realise that Burton's film wasn't too far off. 😉
    Yes, with all its flaws it had a few things spot on.
    I love this franchise so i am really looking forward to the next chapter and what it brings?
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    By far my favourite franchise after Bond, really looking forward to another installment! Especially after the recent terrific trilogy, which really knocked it out of the park. All three installments are so solid and the whole trilogy is such a rewarding story arch for Caesar.

Fingers crossed that the coming movie is a worthy follow-up, it's big shoes to fill. I'm really interested to see what they'll do with the franchise. Love the title as well.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,102
    ‘Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes’ has begun filming in Sydney
    https://www.nme.com/en_au/news/film/kingdom-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-has-begun-filming-in-sydney-3325636

AA12p2WS.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f
    These films are all much better than they have any business being, IMO. I'll be there when this one comes out.

I always feel like these movies were the template that Jurassic Park should have followed... obviously it couldn't have been exactly the same, but a quick return to a dino planet with small groups of human survivors in the jungles and stuff would have been much better than what we got I think.
    These films are all much better than they have any business being, IMO. I'll be there when this one comes out.

I always feel like these movies were the template that Jurassic Park should have followed... obviously it couldn't have been exactly the same, but a quick return to a dino planet with small groups of human survivors in the jungles and stuff would have been much better than what we got I think.

I was hoping Dominion would do that, I have rented Dominion on Amazon Prime though not got round to watching it. I rented the extended version its 2hrs 40mins long, will have to wait until the weekend.
    I think the extended version has some cool scenes in the beginning; I didn't watch this version. I will say it was better than Fallen Kingdom but that's a very low bar.
    I think the extended version has some cool scenes in the beginning; I didn't watch this version. I will say it was better than Fallen Kingdom but that's a very low bar.

Yeah Fallen Kingdoms last act was bizarre was almost like a completely different film.

Sincerely looking forward to this! :-bd
  • RogueAgent wrote: »

Me too. I hope it's more dystopian than the previous three. I want the apes to be the bad bastards, like the originals.

RogueAgent wrote: »

Me too. I hope it's more dystopian than the previous three. I want the apes to be the bad bastards, like the originals.

Are we not already there, at least some are, even if not all ? And that mix would be like that of the initial films, methinks...
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,102
    KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Trailer (2024) William H. Macy

It looks like we have come full circle.

First trailer for Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes takes the reboot closer than ever to the original movie
    https://www.gamesradar.com/kingdom-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-trailer/

Kingdom-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-691x1024.jpg
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    I think it looks really promising!

I love the recent trilogy and appreciate that they kept them low key with Caesar in the center. It's his trilogy and his character arc is the main story; the evolution of the planet (toward apes being rulers) is just a backdrop.

With that said, I still long for a new Apes movie with a bigger scope. With ape clans, intelligent talking apes and animalistic humans. This looks to be it! I'm pleased so far. Let's just hope that the trailer makes the movie justice!