Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I've only done the first one: it's incredibly well-made and the world building is stunning. But so far it's a less than gripping story; but I understand that does develop by ep 3 so I'll check it out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,102
    The first 3 episodes in some instances reminded me of Blade Runner, Battlestar Galactica (new version) and even Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. This show is taking the time to build much in the way Game of Thrones does at its best. Excellent writing, I am surprised Disney SW made this to be honest.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    I watched the 3 episodes of Andor and think it's boring.
    Just about everything about it is bad imo.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

It's refreshing to hear this. :)) I've heard basically nothing but good things about the show, but I feel way too exhausted by Star Wars stuff to get into it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It picks up in Ep3, but there's no reason for 1&2 to be separate episodes, they could have got there quicker.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I haven’t even bothered watching the trailer. Just the fact it’s centered on Cassian immediately turned me off from having any interest in it.

Funnily, it’s a prequel spin-off of a prequel spin-off.
    I haven’t even bothered watching the trailer. Just the fact it’s centered on Cassian immediately turned me off from having any interest in it.

Funnily, it’s a prequel spin-off of a prequel spin-off.

Same, but it seems like a show about the creation of the rebellion (cool) disguised as a show about this Andor guy (lame). But again I haven’t seen any of it, so…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Stellan Skarsgard's in it, and he's always great.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

It's refreshing to hear this. :)) I've heard basically nothing but good things about the show, but I feel way too exhausted by Star Wars stuff to get into it.

They should have called it Anbor..... :))
    The first 3 episodes are certainly exhausting to watch. 8-|
    It’s weird how LucasFilm feels like fans can’t accept recasting, so they do this kind of stuff where they try to preserve how characters looked and sounded from decades ago.

If I had issues with SOLO, it was never because of the actor playing Young Han because I thought he brought the right amount of swagger to a version of Han who wasn’t world weary and too cynical yet.

I rather they recast Luke than keep peddling those CGI abominations they already have with Tarkin and Leia. Kirk and Spock have already been recast TWICE, and you don’t see Trekkies folding their arms about the actors not mimicking Shatner and Nimoy.
    It’s weird how LucasFilm feels like fans can’t accept recasting, so they do this kind of stuff where they try to preserve how characters looked and sounded from decades ago.

If I had issues with SOLO, it was never because of the actor playing Young Han because I thought he brought the right amount of swagger to a version of Han who wasn’t world weary and too cynical yet.

I rather they recast Luke than keep peddling those CGI abominations they already have with Tarkin and Leia. Kirk and Spock have already been recast TWICE, and you don’t see Trekkies folding their arms about the actors not mimicking Shatner and Nimoy.

Yes, yes, yes. I was so frustrated when Kathleen (who is otherwise doing a great job with Star Wars) blamed the failure of Solo on the recasting. Not even close.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

Partly it might be because Kirk and Spock were first recast prior to the Culture War landscape of the Internet today.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I was under the impression that Trekkies generally hated the reboot movies.
    But all fans seem to hate things they're fans of.

Partly it might be because Kirk and Spock were first recast prior to the Culture War landscape of the Internet today.

Kirk and Spock have been recast again since then. Seemed to go down fine.
    mtm wrote: »

That’s mainly INTO DARKNESS, which is understandable.

That said, I personally never bought Zachary Quinto as Spock. But that’s just me.
    But all fans seem to hate things they're fans of.

Kirk and Spock have been recast again since then. Seemed to go down fine.
    Yeah, but that was the second time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't really know what you're saying then.
    I don't really know what you're saying then.
    If Kirk and Spock had been recast for the first time in the current landscape, there may well have been a harsher reaction.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I can't see any reason to think that.
    I can't see any reason to think that.

Only reason I could think of would be the misplaced backlash against recasting Han Solo and Lando.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Didn't everyone like Donald Glover? I can't keep up.
    Didn't everyone like Donald Glover? I can't keep up.

If they didn't I have no idea why. He and Alden were awesome.
    When the first J.J. Abrams Trek film went into production, Twitter was still in its infancy. It wasn’t being used the same way it is today, and there weren’t YouTube channels dedicating to riling up fan bases. Since the precedent of recasting Kirk and Spock had already happened, a second recasting with Ethan Peck and Paul Wesley went smoothly.
    I thought of putting that one on the YouTube thread, but you'll have to admit : Here it belongs .

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Andor Episode 4 the show is a slow burn though it continues to impress, good writing and acting. The balance of practical sets, real locations (which look stunning) and CGI is spot on. Andor is far superior to the other Star Wars shows Disney have produced.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Andor Episode 4 the show is a slow burn though it continues to impress, good writing and acting. The balance of practical sets, real locations (which look stunning) and CGI is spot on. Andor is far superior to the other Star Wars shows Disney have produced.
    Completely agree. As you say the series is slow in pace, but honestly that is a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of franchises at the moment. Its focused on writing, acting and impressive sets and locales mixed with near perfect CGI is admirable, even more so because of its lack of nostalgia bait which seems so ripe in entertainment right now.
  • Agreed @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . Best Star Wars content Disney has produced so far. Sorry there's not explosions and lightsabers every 2 minutes for those who think 'boring'.
    https://www.polygon.com/23377563/star-wars-andor-pissed

Do you guys agree with this assessment?
    Stellan Skarsgård is a stand out he really is brilliant in this type of role, I like what they are doing with his character.

This show has very impressive scope, I liked how well lived in Coruscant looked, the small details of grit and grime on elevator control panels impressed me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The design work on it is beautiful. Otherwise it’s very Blakes 7 :)