Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I do feel like the outfit is a really big stumbling block with the Phantom though! :D It's this kind of Indiana Jones-ish adventure film and then you have the hero... wearing that.
    At the least The Shadow looks kind of cool. :)
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 784
    The Rock would look good in that spandex.

57c292149e4fb5caed978bd932b0c31a.jpg

The question is if a horse could carry him or if he would have to carry the horse.
    Here's my choice to replace Craig.................

309040865_5607794579313313_3434972334016243261_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=QdURA5FhJ6MAX99HSMe&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=00_AT9V4gTYNcDrkS5JI0Gathwqxm2YKT-Osp9GPoNCKzcAlw&oe=63383229
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Or a very good M
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Maybe Q?
    All he needs is a trim, darkening of the hair (or not) and I think he looks fit for duty.
    At 76 I think he looks years younger than Connery in NSNA.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    All he needs is a trim, darkening of the hair (or not) and I think he looks fit for duty.

Tim has said that one of the reasons he decided to not keep going as Bond after LTK was because he thought he was too old, and if he declined back in 1994 with 48, then there's NO WAY he's gonna accept to return with 76.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Tim has said that one of the reasons he decided to not keep going as Bond after LTK was because he thought he was too old, and if he declined back in 1994 with 48, then there's NO WAY he's gonna accept to return with 76.

I think it was a joke, old chap.
    Benny wrote: »

Definitely a joke if even said. He certainly was looking towards B17 as late as autumn 1993/early '94. He just wanted to finish his three picture deal.
  • Of the suggestions made in this thread so far, I think Timothy Dalton would make the best Bond.

Off-topic: I can't be the only one who thinks The Phantom (1996) was totally legit and a deeply underrated 90s superhero/adventure flick...
    Benny wrote: »

Definitely a joke if even said. He certainly was looking towards B17 as late as autumn 1993/early '94. He just wanted to finish his three picture deal.

Still, he looks 20 years younger in that picture.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Of the suggestions made in this thread so far, I think Timothy Dalton would make the best Bond.

Off-topic: I can't be the only one who thinks The Phantom (1996) was totally legit and a deeply underrated 90s superhero/adventure flick...

I think there is, at least, the most objective evidence to show that Dalton would be a good Bond.
    Of the suggestions made in this thread so far, I think Timothy Dalton would make the best Bond.

I think there is, at least, the most objective evidence to show that Dalton would be a good Bond.

Yeah, there is, and it's called "Framed".
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,882
    peter wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe ... Wow!! That's a good shout out, even if you were being facetious! Driver would be weirdly fascinating as The Shadow.

I want to see thist film (although I did love Alec Baldwin's version and hoped for sequels back in the day)!!!

I was half joking. Being serious now, I see Adam Driver's name brought up regularly as a possible Cranston/Shadow. Personally, I know nothing about him, I don't think I have seen him in anything. He looks like he would be a good Shadow, standing at 6'2" he'd cut an imposing figure in the costume.

You aren't. I un-ironically like The Phantom, it goes well with The Shadow (1994) in a double bill.

Also it's nice to see Tim looking well. I think he is signing the LTK dinner jacket for Christies.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 784
    I nominate this guy. By the time they start production he will be the right age.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Thing is, it's true: none of the recent contenders have anything like the right qualities for Bond that Dalton had when he was in his 30s. There aren't even two or three stand-out candidates, let alone a solid second tier. It looks to be a pretty shallow talent pool this time around - and 'that's not gooood.'
    Venutius wrote: »
    Thing is, it's true: none of the recent contenders have anything like the right qualities for Bond that Dalton had when he was in his 30s. There aren't even two or three stand-out candidates, let alone a solid second tier. It looks to be a pretty shallow talent pool this time around - and 'that's not gooood.'

How can you or anyone on this forum (including me) possibly know that though? I know this forum is long and has had a large number of names brought up, but none of us as far as I know are casting agents or producers. Certainly not for EON anyway. There are probably dozens of contenders that haven't even been brought up in this forum yet, and I suspect a few that have been brought up/dismissed by some would probably do very well in the auditions. Hell, none of us even know who the contenders actually are.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Dalton had only done a few films of note before Bond (imo, that is). I know I didn't recognise his name or his face when he was announced, though I must have seen Flash Gordon by that point). Really it's his work after that, like his glamorous Nazi agent in The Rocketeer, where you can clearly see his Bond potential.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Really it's his work after that, like his glamorous Nazi agent in The Rocketeer, where you can clearly see his Bond potential.

Tend to agree. He's better in that than he is in Bond, if you ask me. He blasts everyone else off the screen in Rocketeer, and it's not as if his Bond films were filled with massive stars.
  • QsCatQsCat London

Seen that. Brilliant.

Where is your profile pic from??
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    My top two choices are still Callum Turner and Sam Claflin.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m not high on C.Turner, but did see a glimmer of potential in Fantastic Beast. Sam Claflin is a solid candidate.
    QsCat wrote: »

Seen that. Brilliant.

Where is your profile pic from??

That pic was from an AI deciption of Craigson Danny.
    007HallY wrote: »

How can you or anyone on this forum (including me) possibly know that though? I know this forum is long and has had a large number of names brought up, but none of us as far as I know are casting agents or producers. Certainly not for EON anyway. There are probably dozens of contenders that haven't even been brought up in this forum yet, and I suspect a few that have been brought up/dismissed by some would probably do very well in the auditions. Hell, none of us even know who the contenders actually are.

Yeah, fair enough. By 'recent contenders' I was referring solely to the suggestions on here - not the whole gamut of British male actors in the appropriate age range. ;)

Yeah, fair enough. By 'recent contenders' I was referring solely to the suggestions on here - not the whole gamut of British male actors in the appropriate age range. ;)

Fair play. I think the rule of thumb applies just as much as it has usually done in the past - the most 'likely' actors to get the role won't. Maybe one of us will get lucky and have suggested the next Bond actor in the many pages of this thread, but it's unlikely.
  • Of the suggestions made in this thread so far, I think Timothy Dalton would make the best Bond.

You aren't. I un-ironically like The Phantom, it goes well with The Shadow (1994) in a double bill.

Also it's nice to see Tim looking well. I think he is signing the LTK dinner jacket for Christies.

Cheers! Yes, The Shadow is another great one.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 6,682
    Yeah, I enjoy it too. In fact I think we discussed it some time ago. And I love The Phantom's costume.

You aren't. I un-ironically like The Phantom
    Speaking of which, I do hope nobody looks at The Phantom in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. It doesn't deserve it.

I'm hoping for a film renaissance of these types of heroes, rather than the ones we've been seeing in recent decades.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    Yeah, I enjoy it too. In fact I think we discussed it some time ago. And I love The Phantom's costume.

You aren't. I un-ironically like The Phantom
    Speaking of which, I do hope nobody looks at The Phantom in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. It doesn't deserve it.

I'm hoping for a film renaissance of these types of heroes, rather than the ones we've been seeing in recent decades.

If I was part of the discussion, it escapes my memory at the moment, but any praise of The Phantom is a good thing. I agree, it's not worthy of "so bad it's good"—it's just good and deserving of a much better assessment than it received. I too would love to see good pulpy adventure flicks return to the cinemas.

And regarding who should be Bond, if we're looking at Americans, Billy Zane totally could have made a good Bond in the 90s/00s.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Fair play. I think the rule of thumb applies just as much as it has usually done in the past - the most 'likely' actors to get the role won't. Maybe one of us will get lucky and have suggested the next Bond actor in the many pages of this thread, but it's unlikely.
    Yes, true - wonder how many Bond fans would've even contemplated Craig for the role before 2005? I didn't and I'd seen him in a fair few things by that point. This time around, I'd say that A*d*n T*rn*r most looks the part - but that doesn't mean he'll be a candidate, because Adrian Paul most looked the part last time and it turns out that he wasn't even on the field, let alone in the running. Craig's probably broken the mould as far as someone's looks making them a likely contender. That must've opened it up to a lot of people who, as you say, we wouldn't expect. We could well get another left field choice as a result. Interesting times, these.
  • I think it’s particularly important not make a shitty film if they cast a minority.