'I'm Too Old For This ****' Lethal Weapon 5 aka Lethal Finale...

12346»

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    @mtm 👍🏻 👍🏻 👍🏻
    I'm really excited for this film and am glad Mel is directing. I love of four of the Lethal Weapon movies. I have no doubts I will find this interesting and fun.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I want a combination of drama, action, heart and comedic relief; but I hope the silliness that crept int the later films is dialed back.
    Now, the struggle to get Joe Pesci to come out of retirement again, begins. Nah, I doubt very much he'll come back.

But perhaps Rene Russo will.

I imagine we won't see much, if anything, of the Murtaugh family, except the wife.

Steve Kahan is retired, and Mary Ellen Trainor has passed away.

Will Riggs' son appear? I hope not. Let's forget about passing of the torches, and fathers and sons amending their broken relationships.

talos7 wrote: »
    I want a combination of drama, action, heart and comedic relief; but I hope the silliness that crept int the later films is dialed back.
    I like films 3 and 4, but I do prefer the first two. But frankly, something like 3 and 4 would be good enough for me. 4 had a cool villain in Jet Li (not underused like Stuart Wilson) and the Chinatown and highway chases were great.

I believe Donner did suggest this fifth film would be more serious than its immediate predecessors.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It will be interesting to see how it goes: Gibson hasn't really directed anything in anything less than a hardball, humourless style really (although he has been terrific at that).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So as @mattjoes mentioned above, will Joe Pesci be coaxed out of retirement.
    I'd hope he could be, as the chemistry with all three of them is great.
    And what about Chris Rock? Will he return? Rene Russo would seem a must and you'd have to think that Riggs son would be part of the story.
    Maybe the plot of the film is Riggs and Murtaugh have to come out of retirement to save their son / grandchild ???
    Surely Riggs and Murtaugh would both be retired from active police duty now. I'm intrigued as too what story they come up with, and how many of the 'gang' will appear.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Murtaugh will be 85 this year: pretty sure he’s finally retired! :)
    This has gone quite; I hope it’s still a go.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I figured it might be difficult. Mel Gibson has practically rehabilitated himself as a respected director as recent as HACKSAW RIDGE, but he’s yet to recover as a film star.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't see it being made, myself. I'll be very surprised if it ever gets going.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    LW4 was mediocre but ended on a high note. Without Donner, Kamen, and Black this movie is going to feel like a tacked-on coda to the original series. And Mel with his messiah complex is probably going to want to kill off Riggs in some OTT self-sacrifice. I hope they just leave the series be.
    I agree that LW4 already felt like an ending to the series, especially with Riggs finally ready to move on from his dead wife and become a husband and father. The end of CRAZY Riggs.
    I wonder how the changes at WB will effect LW5?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,282
    My worry is, is there really public hunger for another Lethal Weapon film after such a long time? Look at what happened to the latest Matrix film.
    My worry is, is there really public hunger for another Lethal Weapon film after such a long time? Look at what happened to the latest Matrix film.

I think TG: Maverick showed that there is an audience for classic characters that stay true to their origins.
    A LW film could be produced Lon a very reasonable budget; it would not be an effects heavy extravaganza. The financial return could be huge with little risk.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Wasn't there a report earlier on that this was intended to go straight to streaming?

I think TG: Maverick showed that there is an audience for classic characters that stay true to their origins.
    A LW film could be produced Lon a very reasonable budget; it would not be an effects heavy extravaganza. The financial return could be huge with little risk.

Yeah, done with little risk would be appropriate. Just in case.
    Ryan wrote: »
    Wasn't there a report earlier on that this was intended to go straight to streaming?

The shake up at WB has changed the outlook for a lot of films. I also think that the success of the Predator prequel, “Prey” will have studio executives rethinking bypassing theatrical releases.

Personally, I'm not concerned about that, because I'm mostly interested in the quality of the film, rather than how well it does with audiences (unless the audience is me). I could feel differently if I expected this film to lead to more films, and if I wanted that to be the case, but this is going to be the end of the LW films, as far as I can tell (and yes, you never know for sure, but to me it sounds logical to end it here -- many people will agree that they shouldn't even make a fifth film, which is a reasonable opinion to hold).

Now, if a perceived lack of interest from the public results in potentially undesirable changes made to the film to make it more "modern", like turning the action into Fast & Furious kind of stuff, then that would be a shame. But I don't see that happening, particularly not if Mel Gibson is going to direct, and Lauren Shuler Donner is going to produce.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Personally, I'm not concerned about that, because I'm mostly interested in the quality of the film, rather than how well it does with audiences (unless the audience is me). I could feel differently if I expected this film to lead to more films, and if I wanted that to be the case, but this is going to be the end of the LW films, as far as I can tell (and yes, you never know for sure, but to me it sounds logical to end it here -- many people will agree that they shouldn't even make a fifth film, which is a reasonable opinion to hold).

Now, if a perceived lack of interest from the public results in potentially undesirable changes made to the film to make it more "modern", like turning the action into Fast & Furious kind of stuff, then that would be a shame. But I don't see that happening, particularly not if Mel Gibson is going to direct, and Lauren Shuler Donner is going to produce.

Yeah, we just hope everything about it turns out well though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    But it is early 2023... If they haven't got it sorted yet then it won't be early '23.
    mtm wrote: »
    But it is early 2023... If they haven't got it sorted yet then it won't be early '23.

Well he does say first quarter…

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think it should be scrapped.

4 already felt like an actual ending of the film series, and I really don’t care about seeing an elderly Gibson and Glover embarrassing theirselves.
    I think it should be scrapped.

4 already felt like an actual ending of the film series, and I really don’t care about seeing an elderly Gibson and Glover embarrassing theirselves.

My thinking too. I really don't know how necessary this sequel is.
    Without Donner at the helm it’ll feel odd. I think he always walked a thin line on keeping the edge while also having it play light. Sometimes it wasn’t subtle, like how 2 literally opened with the Looney Tunes theme as if to set the tone after the darker first installment.

With Gibson directing, I’m not sure. His films are typically morose. Unless he tries to stretch himself with 5, I dunno if his sensibilities as a director are a good fit.