What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just make your own Bond film. Producer writer director.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247
    After what Fukunaga did with NTTD, I wouldn't mind Nolan directing Bond. Would NTTD's tone be balanced if Nolan directed it? Sure. Would Bond's death be more ambiguous? Sure. Would Safin be a more terrifying villain with his mask? Definitely. Would Blofeld be a more complex villain this time around? Of course. So it means NTTD would have been much better with Nolan at the helm.
    One thing I like about Nolan is, even if he's not the most kinetic action director, he's creative with action scenes. There's always that extra, unusual and never-seen-before something in his action scenes, like it is in Bond action scenes, where he got the ideas from. So it really shows he's a real Bond fan and have studied the Bond films. He also creates goosebumps moments in his films. Plus, he doesn't joke with the soundtrack/score of his films. Of course, there are other directors out there for Bond 26. But if Nolan ends up directing it, I won't have a problem with it.
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    After what Fukunaga did with NTTD, I wouldn't mind Nolan directing Bond. Would NTTD's tone be balanced if Nolan directed it? Sure. Would Bond's death be more ambiguous? Sure. Would Safin be a more terrifying villain with his mask? Definitely. Would Blofeld be a more complex villain this time around? Of course. So it means NTTD would have been much better with Nolan at the helm.
    One thing I like about Nolan is, even if he's not the most kinetic action director, he's creative with action scenes. There's always that extra, unusual and never-seen-before something in his action scenes, like it is in Bond action scenes, where he got the ideas from. So it really shows he's a real Bond fan and have studied the Bond films. He also creates goosebumps moments in his films. Plus, he doesn't joke with the soundtrack/score of his films. Of course, there are other directors out there for Bond 26. But if Nolan ends up directing it, I won't have a problem with it.

Did you like NTTD or hate it? @GadgetMan I didn't like it.
    The main thing I don’t like about NTTD is how they treated Blofeld. He should have escaped.
    Secondary thing, Safin.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    DB5MN wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Did you like NTTD or hate it? @GadgetMan I didn't like it.

Oh, I feel ambivalent about it @DB5MN The tonal shifts is my main issue with the film. But I can understand the intense dislike for the film, that others feel.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Anyone on this forum fancy themselves directing the next bond film ?
    How hard could it be ???? :)>-

It sounds like the most incredible opportunity. But the hard reality is your creative choices will be severely limited as it is a producer's franchise. Just look at the Boyle situation.

Very true.
    But with a great script and with the right actor as bond, like CR for example, you can pick a relatively unknown or inexperienced director and it would most likely be a good film ?

It sounds like the most incredible opportunity. But the hard reality is your creative choices will be severely limited as it is a producer's franchise. Just look at the Boyle situation.

Very true.
    But with a great script and with the right actor as bond, like CR for example, you can pick a relatively unknown or inexperienced director and it would most likely be a good film ?

To be fair, Boyle seemed to have a lot of creative control, even bringing on his own scriptwriter and developing his own story. Obviously it didn't work out, but it certainly doesn't seem to have been due to the 'craziness' of his decisions more than it was that they weren't working.

Perhaps going forward directors will get more creative control over the Bond films than they have done traditionally? It's certainly got its pros and cons - get a 'visionary' director like Boyle whose concept doesn't work out and you're in the situation NTTD was in. Get a director who understands the Bond series/character, comes up with something interesting and is able to collaborate with everyone and you have a solid film potentially.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,341
    007HallY wrote: »

Very true.

To be fair, Boyle seemed to have a lot of creative control, even bringing on his own scriptwriter and developing his own story. Obviously it didn't work out, but it certainly doesn't seem to have been due to the 'craziness' of his decisions more than it was that they weren't working.

Perhaps going forward directors will get more creative control over the Bond films than they have done traditionally? It's certainly got its pros and cons - get a 'visionary' director like Boyle whose concept doesn't work out and you're in the situation NTTD was in. Get a director who understands the Bond series/character, comes up with something interesting and is able to collaborate with everyone and you have a solid film potentially.

I think Boyle got replaced because he didn't want to kill off JB.
    I remember DC saying something about that in a interview i heard or read somewhere ?
    He said (Boyle) that he got a big payout, which eon can afford to do.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,747
    007HallY wrote: »

Very true.

I think Boyle got replaced because he didn't want to kill off JB.
    I remember DC saying something about that in a interview i heard or read somewhere ?
    He said (Boyle) that he got a big payout, which eon can afford to do.

I doubt it had anything to do with it one way or the other. He was on the project for such a long time and the decision to kill Bond off was made so early. Also, I think EON knew pretty early on that it was going to be an unusual Bond film so wanted a director who was used to making bold creative choices. Boyle also seemed to have no issue with introducing Bond's daughter into the story. As much as producers are prone to spinning things in terms of publicity, I think the consistency on this matter from all sides points to what we've been told - the script wasn't working within the time frame they wanted, rewrites with other screenwriters were probably needed which Boyle wasn't willing to do, and there were likely elements of the story which were never going to work for a Bond film. Regardless, I don't think we'll ever see a Danny Boyle Bond film. I suspect this is a good thing too.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Boyle said explicitly that Bond's death was part of the script that he and Hodge were writing: 'Daniel had negotiated with them as part of his deal that he could die, which is a surreal prospect. That was built in.' Boyle also said that he quit because 'I work in partnership with writers and I am not prepared to break it up' - which suggests that EON wanted to drop Hodge and keep Boyle, but he left in solidarity with Hodge. From other things Boyle's said, he and Hodge introduced the idea of Bond having a daughter and that most of the film would've been set in Russia. I'm actually glad that Boyle left!
    Venutius wrote: »
    Boyle said explicitly that Bond's death was part of the script that he and Lodge were writing: 'Daniel had negotiated with them as part of his deal that he could die, which is a surreal prospect. That was built in.' Boyle also said that he quit because 'I work in partnership with writers and I am not prepared to break it up' - which suggests that EON wanted to drop Lodge and keep Boyle, but he left in solidarity with Lodge. From other things Boyle's said, he and Lodge introduced the idea of Bond having a daughter and most of the film would've been set in Russia. I'm actually glad that Boyle left!

Yes, the Russian aspect would certainly have aged very strangely given the delays. Again, I do think that this case is pretty straightforward and we're essentially being told the truth by all parties. It just wasn't to be.

Still, it's an unused Bond script I really would like to read out of curiosity. That and Anthony Burgess' script for TSWLM (which I suspect is a more lively read than Boyle/Hodge's Bond 25).
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Yes, it'd definitely be interesting to see where Boyle and Hodge were going with it. Boyle said that their script wasn't finished, but even so, it'd be fascinating to see it.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just saw Men. Another good film from Alex Garland (though nothing can top Ex Machina).

I know he works mostly in sci-fi/horror, but I think as writer (or co-writer)/director, he would bring some really interesting elements to the table.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Forgot he did that one. Loved Ex Machina and Annihilation.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Damn: Garland uses the trope of "James Bond's wristwatch" in his show DEVs.
    I would be willing to give Fukananga a clean slate and see if he does better
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'd really like to see what Ryan Coogler would do with a James Bond film.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 784
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I would be willing to give Fukananga a clean slate and see if he does better

Considering he did enough work on the script to get a writing credit I think his abilities were accurately presented.
    What was wrong with Fukunaga's directing?
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    lol Fukunaga is not making any movies any time soon and for good reason. I think I said once before I'd be open to him getting a clean-slate shot at Bond again, but not after all the scandal. I want a guy classy enough to not feel like he has to groom the young women he employs on his projects to get laid, or fire them when they won't get topless. Let's get someone a little more classy.

The series very much will need to move on from NTTD completely imo. We're already dragging P&W back, so what would we even be offering a director? Another horrible script?
    Aaaaaah the controversy, fair enough.
  • I love Nolan as much as the next guy but Fukunaga brought a sense of energy and vivacity to NTTD (particularly the first two thirds) that I haven’t seen from Nolan. I think the franchise had been lacking that since CR/QoS. The stateliness of Skyfall worked, but in Spectre it was a slog.

I doubt Fukunaga returns (and I like the idea of different directors giving each film a unique flavour) but after seeing Top Gun: Maverick, I’d love to see what Joseph Kosinski’s take is. That film had just the right mix of nostalgia, freshness, emotionality, etc. If we’re going back to the “popcorn film” era of Bond then he’d intrigue me for sure.

If we’re going to continue down a more “auteur” path then I’d be interested in Dennis Villeneuve for something more drama focused or Gareth Evans for something a little more high-octane.
  • Archangel007Archangel007 United States
    edited October 2022 Posts: 25
    Re: Denis Villeneuve

I really do think he is the best director choice to bring a Bond film to screen. The only two obstacles would be his timeline and how much he would insist on having his way with the story/script.

I believe he can definitely bring a great level of suspense and scale to a Bond film, we know he is very much a fan of the films and is interested. At the moment, he is busy with Dune: Part Two which has been filming for 3 months. I think by next summer the film would largely be complete (editing locked in, just need score and effects finished) in time for Fall 2023 release.

I could see Villeneuve being brought on board for Bond by late summer/early Fall next year to go over any script revisions and casting/scouting locations. At the earliest, the next Bond film would start filming in very early 2024 with a Fall release that year. Otherwise, it is more likely Villeneuve will want time to recharge his batteries so filming could start in Summer of 2024 with Spring 2025 release.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    He's a great director. Let's just hope the action scenes aren't limited, if he's chosen. Although, I was surprised that Dune had lots of action. He would need that for Bond. Suspense was never a problem of his.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Park Chan-wook has shared his love for Roger Moore's portrayal of James Bond and how he'd love to direct a Bond film:

https://deadline.com/video/park-chan-wook-influences-james-bond-video-interview-decision-to-leave-oldboy/
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    While the Moore era isn't one of my favourites, I quite enjoyed The Handmaiden, I'd be interested to see what he'd do with Bond.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Park Chan-wook has shared his love for Roger Moore's portrayal of James Bond and how he'd love to direct a Bond film:

https://deadline.com/video/park-chan-wook-influences-james-bond-video-interview-decision-to-leave-oldboy/

Wow. Yes please.

Creasy47 wrote: »

Wow. Yes please.

I mean, to me a director like Park Chan-wook directing a Bond film makes more sense than a director like Danny Boyle making one...

I mean, it won't happen most likely, but it would be interesting...
    The film itself would probably make more sense than one that Boyle directed, too!
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Wow. Yes please.

Fantastic director, I'd love to see him tackle Bond.