What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Since62 wrote: »
    I understand this thread is about possible Directors for the next Bond film...but every time I read the title of the thread, and I mean EVERY time - I think of Matt Helm. I know Austin Powers already mined that sort of material, but it was over the top and oriented to the humor. I think a fun set of films could be made for Matt Helm and, perhaps moreso, Derek Flint. OK, off topic, but just wanted to get that itch scratched.
    So...as you were ! Carry on !

Same yes on the discussion title.

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    Since Oppenheimer is releasing next year and Bond 26 is apparently a couple years away from starting production, I wonder if EON is trying to get Nolan into the director's chair.
    Doug Liman.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Doug Liman.
    Doug Liman's ambition was to direct a Bond film, but he knew that EON would never hire him - so he made The Bourne Identity instead! Ironic, really...
    Yes and to be honest Bourne isn't my interest. I was rewatching his 2014 Edge of Tomorrow last night, a favorite.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I think what I like most about Edge of Tomorrow is that Liman's sense of humour comes over more successfully than in most of the others he's done. I liked that he cast Emily Blunt and had her play against type too - back then it was weird seeing her in that kind of role after seeing her in things like Wind Chill and Wild Target, but it worked perfectly. Liman's probably the only person who would've cast her in that part at the time, just as he personally cast Damon as Bourne when no one else would've thought of it. I really like Doug Liman's style, but I don't actually think he'd be a good fit for Bond - he wings it a lot, re-writes scripts on the hoof and tends to butt heads with producers. Doug's often right, as it turns out, but I'm not sure a working relationship where EON sit on set taking notes and passing suggestions would suit him!
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 94
    Anders Thomas Jensen

Really enjoyed his movie "Riders of Justice" with Mads Mikkelsen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    Anders Thomas Jensen

Really enjoyed his movie "Riders of Justice" with Mads Mikkelsen.

Why not? It was a good one, and well directed.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Alfonso Cuaron to direct, Chad Stahelski as second unit director and stunt coordinator.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Alfonso Cuaron to direct, Chad Stahelski as second unit director and stunt coordinator.

Ooooh now that’s a great combo. I like that @doubleoego .
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    peter wrote: »

Ooooh now that’s a great combo. I like that @doubleoego .

Appreciate it, thanks. I've wanted Cuaron to direct for several years now and with Stahelski as second unit director and stunt coordinator, we'd definitely get some creative and exciting and much needed innovative action.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I'd be the most excited for a new installment in ages if this is the combination we got.
    I've been championing Cuaron for a while. I am sure he is on EONs shortlist, as he had some involvement with QOS, ( he's on the end credit list if I recall)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I've been championing Cuaron for a while. I am sure he is on EONs shortlist, as he had some involvement with QOS, ( he's on the end credit list if I recall)

He has a short voice cameo, one of the radio voices during the plan chase.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,006
    Cuaron would be a fantastic choice. A multifaceted director who is artistic in execution without being obnoxious, and above all, is a great storyteller.
    But aren't Cuaron's films mostly dark and grim? His style might have worked with a Daniel Craig Bond, but shouldn't the series try to move in a different direction now?
    Same with Denis Villeneuve or Christopher Nolan - way too dark and grim.
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    But aren't Cuaron's films mostly dark and grim? His style might have worked with a Daniel Craig Bond, but shouldn't the series try to move in a different direction now?
    Same with Denis Villeneuve or Christopher Nolan - way too dark and grim.

And...slow. I apologize. The word, both in spelling and pronunciation, does not indicate the meaning. Slooooowwwwww....As for Nolan, a Bond film should not be a puzzle with its pieces all over the timescape. Fine for other films, but not a Bond thriller. After 25 (or 27, if you prefer) is it time for something new and different ? Ok, sure...but it should be exciting and thrilling, not puzzling, nor - as sometimes occurs in Nolan films - vague.

I don't wish to be grumpy, but, simply - there are many ways to make a great film. They just all apply to exciting secret agent thrillers.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

He has a short voice cameo, one of the radio voices during the plan chase.

Guillermo del Toro too. I finally caught his voice appearance on the last rewatch I had.

Would that mean they avoid Cuaron's 'fancy' camera work?
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Since Oppenheimer is releasing next year and Bond 26 is apparently a couple years away from starting production, I wonder if EON is trying to get Nolan into the director's chair.

It's got to happen eventually I mean now is the perfect time what he did with batman was great he can do the same with bond.
  • I used to be the conductor of the "Nolan for Bond" hype train, but I've really lost interest in the idea in recent years. With all the Bondian elements of his own filmography along with his influence on the latter bit of the Craig run, I really don't think a Nolan Bond film would be all that fresh or exciting. There are worse choices but it feels a bit tepid and safe to me.

That said, I think the film would probably be well made and commercially very successful, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the producers go in that direction.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I agree with you that Nolan's Bond film has been thinly spread through Inception and Tenet, and probably wouldn't come across as novel if he were to do a proper one.

Still, though, he and I are both pretty obsessed with the concept of time, and I love pretty much all of his films, so I wouldn't be at all upset if he were to do a Bond film.

Reading up the thread a bit, Cuaron would be a super interesting choice, or Denis Villeneuve (was he attached at some point?).
    Bond films of the 90s were mild experiments.

Leading to bolder experiments with the Craig films. Not least telling a story about Bond five years after his retirement.

I think Nolan would do an excellent Bond film, unique from his own Inception and Tenet. And it could also work well as a one-off experiment if the right project came together.

Rewatching a lot of Nolan's films lately, I've realized I don't much care for his editing or choreography when it comes to action sequences, so probably best if he wasn't at the helm of a Bond installment anytime soon.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Rewatching a lot of Nolan's films lately, I've realized I don't much care for his editing or choreography when it comes to action sequences, so probably best if he wasn't at the helm of a Bond installment anytime soon.

I'm of the same mindset. The only one that really stands out is Inception. One of the reasons I'm intrigued by Oppenheimer is the fact that it's not going to have a lot of action in it, if any.
  • Reading up the thread a bit, Cuaron would be a super interesting choice, or Denis Villeneuve (was he attached at some point?).

I believe Villeneuve was approached prior to NTTD but the scheduling didn’t work. He had said he’d love to do Bond and he even did a 40 minute Q&A with Cary Fukunaga on the film, so I’d be surprised if he wasn’t under consideration again. I agree, Cuaron would make a lot of sense, he’s even got some big budget franchise experience with Harry Potter. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of these two are attached to Bond 26 eventually.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Watching that Q&A now. Thanks!
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited August 2022 Posts: 648
    Nolan has the right attitude for Bond, and that's key, more so than winning Oscars. I hated the last decade's worth of Bond movies with their heavy-handedness and pretentiousness and I chalk that up to EON hiring directors and writers who fundamentally don't understand the allure of these movies. I know a lot of people liked them, but for me they weren't Bond.

I mean, high box office and critical praise aside, the series is a pile of rubble now and the producers don't even seem eager to move things forward. If they do, I suspect they'll continue hiring prestige filmmakers who have no ideas about pacing, tone, and other ingredients that are vital to action filmmaking, but do know how to make pretty images, like Sam Mendes and his silhouettes and big, empty spaces.

At this point the last thing I want is another Oscar darling being brought onto Bond with his hairbrained ideas about subverting expectations and redefining the character. Just let Bond be Bond FFS. Martin Campbell understood the material he was dealing with and I think Nolan would, too, and I'm far from a Nolan fanboy. I think EON should give him the chance, at least so he can get the Bond bug out of his system and stop putting Bondian elements into his original movies.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Anyone on this forum fancy themselves directing the next bond film ?
    How hard could it be ???? :)>-
    Anyone on this forum fancy themselves directing the next bond film ?
    How hard could it be ???? :)>-

It sounds like the most incredible opportunity. But the hard reality is your creative choices will be severely limited as it is a producer's franchise. Just look at the Boyle situation.