'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just a nice shot of Tennant's new costume, shooting right now in Bristol.

FVR5690XoAAuCJz?format=jpg&name=medium
    I've been rewatching series 5 (2010) these last few days, and just watched episode 6: Vampires Of Venice.

Seeing that clip reminds me of how exciting it was that Moffat embraced overseas filming a lot more.

Spain, Utah, Croatia, New York, New Mexico etc...

It really did help the show feel bigger and more expansive and while I do have my problems with Chibnall, him continuing that practice is not one of them.

And unlike most of the classic series, where they usually had the foreign location just playing itself, they were smart enough to have them double as historical locations and alien worlds for multiple stories.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,861

And unlike most of the classic series, where they usually had the foreign location just playing itself, they were smart enough to have them double as historical locations and alien worlds for multiple stories.

Although Planet of Fire was a notable exception, where they went to Lanzarote (which looked amazing) but had it play both an alien world and Lanzarote in the same story, which just made the alien world look like... Lanzarote :)
    snwo-steel.jpg

snwo-steel2.jpg

snow-dvd-3.jpg

INCLUDES
    • Episodes 1-6 (Animated Black & White)
    • Episodes 1-6 (Animated Colour)
    • Restored Surviving Original Episode 2
    • Photographic Reconstructions of Episodes 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6
    • Making-of Documentary
    • Audio Commentaries
    • 8mm Home Movie Footage
    • Archive interview with writer Mervyn Haisman
    • Photo Gallery
    • Teaser Trailer
    • PDF ROM Content

Out on september 5th, if all goes well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    About time. I was starting to think that it had been cancelled.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Saw this earlier, and almost had a heart attack.

299168536_10166653062970174_7074399763082339482_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=8Vybb7zwFRAAX9muxl7&_nc_ht=scontent.fbrs4-1.fna&oh=00_AT-_kFpy7apMXzWeYTn0te6XHzuckYJahxzGCWaFhGLB6g&oe=62FE96FB

Turns out to be from a recent convention they both attended.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

299168536_10166653062970174_7074399763082339482_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=8Vybb7zwFRAAX9muxl7&_nc_ht=scontent.fbrs4-1.fna&oh=00_AT-_kFpy7apMXzWeYTn0te6XHzuckYJahxzGCWaFhGLB6g&oe=62FE96FB

That's fantastic you know I have mixed feelings about that era though McCoy was always a great doctor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's brilliant fun, although with it being over 30° in the UK this week they must've been sweltering! :D

That's fantastic you know I have mixed feelings about that era though McCoy was always a great doctor.

There are apects that even I can't overlook. Those first 4 stores are a very hard sell, to someone possibly seeing them for the first time.
    mtm wrote: »
    It's brilliant fun, although with it being over 30° in the UK this week they must've been sweltering! :D

Yeah, that jumper must be brutal. When one of my cousins turned 40, a few years back, his birthday had an 80's theme. So..... I might have gone with a version of the 7th Doctor. Though I had the jumper, it was evening time, and nowhere near as hot as the recent spell.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    A couple of Jodie Whittaker's episodes included scenes filmed in Sheffield. That really must've seemed like an alien hellhole in more ways than one...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

There are apects that even I can't overlook. Those first 4 stores are a very hard sell, to someone possibly seeing them for the first time.

Yeah, that jumper must be brutal. When one of my cousins turned 40, a few years back, his birthday had an 80's theme. So..... I might have gone with a version of the 7th Doctor. Though I had the jumper, it was evening time, and nowhere near as hot as the recent spell.

I would always recommend to a new viewer to watch Curse of Fenric first or McCoy's confrontation with Davros in Remembrance of the Daleks. They both show the full potential of McCoy's Doctor and Doctor Who.
    The next series of the classic series to be put on Blu-Ray will be (drumroll, please)... Series 2. Yes, the second season with William Hartnell will be available soon :

2-750.jpg

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-collection-season-2-limited-edition-packaging/

I would always recommend to a new viewer to watch Curse of Fenric first or McCoy's confrontation with Davros in Remembrance of the Daleks. They both show the full potential of McCoy's Doctor and Doctor Who.

I think Remembrance Of The Daleks might be a little confusing, unless the person in question has some knowledge of the shows history. I would probably try showing them The Greatest Show In The Galaxy. It's better written than any story from the previous series, but at the same time, it doesn't try expanding or exploring the mythology. For the most part, it's fairly straight forward.

@Gerard thanks for that. It put a smile on my face to see William Russell very much still with us.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,882
    35 years ago tonight, the TARDIS crash landed on Lakertya, marking the departure of one Doctor, and arrival of another.

896bdbc028d1268e483983cf6d169976.jpg

It's 35 year of the 7th Doctor!
    The title of the BBC Centenary episode has been revealed. It's...

The Power of the Doctor

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2022/09/15/the-last-episode-with-jodie-whittakers-thirteenth-doctor-is-the-power-of-the-doctor/
    The soundtrack for "Flux" (and "Revolution of the Daleks") will be available from Silva Screen in november 2022 :

https://silvascreen.ochre.store/release/331257-segun-akinola-doctor-who-series-13-flux-original-television-soundtrack

ReleaseProduct-331257-181253.jpg
    Pictures of The Power of the Doctor have started to appear :

399183-3-e393859.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&fit=975,703

The-Power-of-the-Doctor-13th-Jodie-Ace-Tegan-Sophie-Aldred-Janet-Fileding-Thirteenth.jpg
    Great to see Ace and Tegan back, though I will be glad when this era is over its been pretty poor over all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes the only bit I'm looking forward to is the final scene. And it will be interesting to see whose face appears at the end too: for the first time it's not actually certain!
    I presume it'll be Tennant but you never know.
    This will be the first episode I will have watched, since Jodie's first series.

I think the way it will go, Jodie will degenerate into Tennant, who will then regenerate into Ncuti next year..... I think. I am more than a little confused as to how it will play out exactly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It'd be quite fun if it was another old Doctor we didn't even know was returning!
    Ecclestone's probably still too narked...
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,882
    Venutius wrote: »
    Ecclestone's probably still too narked...

If RTD wasn't returning as showrunner, and it wasn't on the PaedBC, I think he might consider it. Also, if no other Doctor appeared.
    Yeah, I think that's what it'd take, to be fair.
    FeOXFr8WYAECEK3?format=jpg&name=small
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Curious how she says ‘it must be a bit smelly’ when she’s the one who wears and owns it, I wonder if she has no sense of smell? :D
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,102
    There is a teaser on YouTube that the trailer for Jodie's last episode drops tomorrow.
    I keep forgetting that the special is due at the end of the month.
    And here's the trailer :