Luxury.

stagstag In the thick of it!
edited August 2022 in General Discussion Posts: 1,053
Bond related or not, what's the most expensive non essential luxury item you've ever treated yourself to?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Probably my Music Man JP6 in Mystic Dream (about $2,200), which I later sold.
    76d669d6d0b024dd77a406cae1b2ee98.jpg
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,161
    Probably my Music Man JP6 in Mystic Dream (about $2,200), which I later sold.
    76d669d6d0b024dd77a406cae1b2ee98.jpg

Nice! I have a pretty good guitar collection myself. We should get together and play someday.
    Nice video! Halfway through so far, love the blue Rickenbacker and the acoustic White Falcon! The electric version always makes me think of Back in Black… the massive guitar completely dwarfs Malcolm Young lol
    Will watch the rest of the collection later!
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Cool!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond-wise, it's Q's laptop from Spectre, which cost me over a grand. Not essential, but it's there if my desktop PC goes kaput.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Nice! I did have one of Bond’s Sony phones (I want to say from Spectre but I’m not 100% sure, but I returned it. Apparently I cannot commit to luxury goods.

@QBranch did you get the sticker pack for it?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I bought a painting at an art exhibition because all my life I'd wanted to see a little red dot next to a picture at an exhibition and know it was because I'd bought it. It depicts a Saab Viggen checking out a submarine (the Whiskey on the Rocks incident).

On the Bond front, I saw a secondhand Omega Seamaster, the ladies' version of the Brosnan-era one, in a jeweller's near me for a reasonable price and could not resist.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @QBranch did you get the sticker pack for it?
    That's a cool option for people to have (I wish they sold more prop-related stuff), but I intend to print out the stickers from a hi-res photo of the auctioned prop, because the stickers have some nice wear and tear to them, and I can use the overall image to get the distances right. 👍

Second most expensive Bond item would be the NTTD speargun, which as we know, didn't get the amount of screen time depicted in the bts featurettes. 👎
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Around 2004 or 05 I had a custom PC built for me (around 14 years old at the time) to play games with my friends. I can't place it perfectly, but this was around the time World of Warcraft was first released. Not very luxurious, but if I recall correctly it was around 1000€ and that was pretty much all my savings. I don't think any subsequent PCs I have bought had a higher sticker price.

Other than that, I'm one of those people that look at beautiful things, but never allows himself to buy them (for himself. I prefer giving luxurious things as gifts). A 300€ pair of boots is probably the closest and for goodyear-welted leather shoes that's still not really luxurious..
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I indulge myself sometimes, but the one luxury item I've owned for a long time is my Omega. I bought it second hand in the early 1980s (long before the brand had any association with Bond), It's only a plain watch, silver face, automatic with black leather strap, but the design means it still looks as good as it did then.

While I used to wear it a lot, it's now reserved for special occasions.