No Time To Melt (2022)

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited July 2022 in General Discussion Posts: 17,687
How hot is it where you are?
I'm in Massachusetts, U.S.A. and it's 95 degrees, was 100 a couple of days ago, and it'll be 100 tomorrow...
Ever see that movie "The Day The Earth Caught Fire"?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's quite warm but certainly not too hot over here in Belgium. And yes, I have seen The Day The Earth Caught Fire. 😄

It was very hot here last week. I spent a full day in the refreshing wind streams of my trusted ventilator blowing at full speed.
  • BrofeldBrofeld Cádiz
    Here in Cádiz (Spain) we have a maximum of 111,4º today.

We gotta stay hydrated.

20.-die-another-day.jpg
    @Brofeld
    Welcome to the forum! Please tell us more about yourself here.

I agree, we have to stay hydrated, all of us. It's the best way to survive this heat.
  • BrofeldBrofeld Cádiz
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Brofeld
    Welcome to the forum! Please tell us more about yourself here.

I agree, we have to stay hydrated, all of us. It's the best way to survive this heat.

Done! :)>-
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Plenty of water to stay hydrated here today. It's windy, cold and very wet. And I've just seen a flash of lightning as I type this. There's the thunder too. Well, I suppose the Emerald Isle has to stay green somehow! :(
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I live in Florida and don't have a pool.

Its always hot.
    Meanwhile here in Norway (where I live, at least), the summer so far have been colder than usual, with temperatures below 20°C. We did have a couple of warmer days in June, but July have felt more like September so far.
    Meanwhile here in Norway (where I live, at least), the summer so far have been colder than usual, with temperatures below 20°C. We did have a couple of warmer days in June, but July have felt more like September so far.

I wish I was there at the moment. Norway sounds great. What part of Norway are you from, @Torgeirtrap?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    In Italy it is hot as usual. The thing is that it NEVER rains.

I wish I was there at the moment. Norway sounds great. What part of Norway are you from, @Torgeirtrap?

Haha, for me it's the other way around! I rarely travel much, so the warmer summer days are very welcome. I'm from the Trøndelag region myself, right in the middle of the country. We never get the best weather here, but this summer have been particularly disappointing.

If I could I'd book the first ticket to Belgium!

Haha, for me it's the other way around! I rarely travel much, so the warmer summer days are very welcome. I'm from the Trøndelag region myself, right in the middle of the country. We never get the best weather here, but this summer have been particularly disappointing.

I'm afraid we have annoyingly fickle weather to offer at best. One day it rains like mad and temperatures fall below zero, the next we're sweating like pigs; one day we're told to mind the use of water, the next we're plagued with biblical floods. Our weather is very much like our politics: unpredictable. ;-)

As far as Norway is concerned, I'd love to pay the country a visit someday. I love eating fish... Can't stress this enough: I love eating fish.

I'm afraid we have annoyingly fickle weather to offer at best. One day it rains like mad and temperatures fall below zero, the next we're sweating like pigs; one day we're told to mind the use of water, the next we're plagued with biblical floods. Our weather is very much like our politics: unpredictable. ;-)

As far as Norway is concerned, I'd love to pay the country a visit someday. I love eating fish... Can't stress this enough: I love eating fish.

At least Belgium looks beautiful – fickle weather or not. ;-)

If there's one thing we can offer, it's fish – and a lot of it!
    The last time Brest was close to this hot was in 1949, with 35,2 ° Celsius. Well, that record has been broken : Brest suffered to temps exceeding 39.4 ° Celsius. The heat was unbearable, and each time I used the car I had rented, I thought I was in an oven. And I heard it was worse in Paris, with temps ging above 40 ° Celsius. It was 2003 all over again, with less dead this time, I hope.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,449

I rather like Norse salmon. The thing that keeps my wife and me from visiting Norway is a) the fact that she doesn't like to fly, and b) she doesn't like fish. ;-) We could travel by train, though it'd be costly and time-consuming. And I'm sure Norway has other good things to offer besides fish. We might just get there, someday. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It s 17 degrees C now where I am. Pleasant summer evening.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 17,241

I rather like Norse salmon. The thing that keeps my wife and me from visiting Norway is a) the fact that she doesn't like to fly, and b) she doesn't like fish. ;-) We could travel by train, though it'd be costly and time-consuming. And I'm sure Norway has other good things to offer besides fish. We might just get there, someday. ;-)

We have that i common then – I prefer salmon too when eating fish. If you have a car you could always drive; German tourists visiting the country usually travel that way – although almost always by campervans, which takes away the issue of finding somewhere to sleep for the night. The petrol prices are at an all-time high here right now, so I'd definitely recommend using an electrical car if possible!

Likewise I'd like to give Belgian cuisine a try; obviously including Belgian waffles, chocolate and beer!

*Sorry to @chrisisall for going way off topic!*
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Talking about the heat with a friend, I remembered the opening of the Tintin adventure The Shooting Star, where the approaching meteorite causes oppressive heat, tyres burst and pavements melt.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Talking about the heat with a friend, I remembered the opening of the Tintin adventure The Shooting Star, where the approaching meteorite causes oppressive heat, tyres burst and pavements melt.

Good call!

I feel sorry for everyone who is forced by their superiors to always follow the company's dress code, which sometimes means wearing a suit no matter what the temperature. That, in my opinion, is barbaric. Before I taught, I worked in a chemical company. One day mid-Summer, the air conditioning broke down. Temperatures rapidly rose to freakish heights. My supervisor nevertheless insisted that we all kept our jackets on! Shirt, tie and jacket. It was murder. I ended up cooling myself off in the 0°C storage rooms...

As a hip teacher, I'm currently allowed to wear shorts. Except in the chem lab, of course. Safety first. ;-)