Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Hope the UK gets HDR/4K sooner than later.

When it originally started as CBS All Access, the best video/audio quality it offered was 720p 2.0 surround. Wasn’t until S2 of Disco that they finally added HDR and 5.1 capability. I think Dolby Atmos was only implemented this year.

There’s still a lot of things they could improve on. Their search engine needs a serious upgrade. All you can search for is movie titles at the moment, no option of searching for movies featuring an actor.
    I read SNW and STD are shown in 4K in the US.

SNW yes.

For Disco, only S4 is featured in 4K. I think the first three seasons were only mastered in 1080p, but it’s possible they just haven’t updated the streaming files to 4K yet. Whatever the resolution, all seasons are available in HDR/Dolby Vision.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,104
    Star Trek: SNW episode 2. Good episode I am liking the sets, score and special effects, both episodes so far have had wow moments which is a good thing.

Naturally I am warming to some characters more than others, its early days there is indications in the writing of growth.

The show is less frantic than STD and gives the viewer time to contemplate and take on board ethical and moral dilemmas. Its not perfect though its a good start.

One minor gripe is jokey and quippy interactions between the crew in moments that perhaps should be a bit more serious.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just watched the first one and I thought it was... okay. Not bad but I'm not hugely excited to see any more at the moment.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Star Trek: SNW episode 3. A bit random this one until one of a few revelations I thought things were a bit off. This show is falling into the STD trap of very little consequence to breaching Starfleet Regulations/Federation Law.
    Star Trek: SNW episode 4 Memento Mori =D> that was fantastic the best episode of Kurtzman Trek, Star Trek is back. This is an episode I will revisit many times guaranteed.
    Yeah, so far that’s the strongest for me. Right up there with “Balance of Terror” and “Starship Down”.

I do appreciate that all episodes have so far been very unique from each other. We got a prime directive episode, a mystery, morality play, submarine action, a comedic romp of an episode, etc. So far they’ve delivered us a classic style Trek series in the vein of TOS/TNG, and I think it’s too bad it’s only ten episodes this season.
    Yeah, so far that’s the strongest for me. Right up there with “Balance of Terror” and “Starship Down”.

I do appreciate that all episodes have so far been very unique from each other. We got a prime directive episode, a mystery, morality play, submarine action, a comedic romp of an episode, etc. So far they’ve delivered us a classic style Trek series in the vein of TOS/TNG, and I think it’s too bad it’s only ten episodes this season.

SNW does complexity and subtlety very well, I was gripped throughout that episode and there were some incredible moments. It has been rare for me in recent years though I was emotionally invested in this episode from beginning to end. I am really liking what they are doing with La 'An the actress is very talented
    the very subtle underlining satisfaction La 'An displays or Wrath of Khan literally when the Gorn destroys one of its own ship was superb.
    Less is more and it's great to see very little needless exposition in this show, this show treats the audience with respect.

Its a shame about the short season, perhaps season 2 will have more episodes.
    Watched the latest episode. SNW did something very effectively that DISCO tried and failed. That’s all I’ll say

TrekCore left out this warning tweet regarding the finale.

edited July 2022 Posts: 23,104
    Watched the latest episode. SNW did something very effectively that DISCO tried and failed. That’s all I’ll say

TrekCore left out this warning tweet regarding the finale.

Thanks for the warning, YouTube are terrible for putting spoilers on thumbnails. I will temporarily unsubscribe from Trek Channels. In the UK we are only up to episode 4 of SNW. .

On a side note I have been wondering where I had seen La'An before. The actress was in Doctor Who A Good Man Goes to War, Christina Chong plays Lorna Bucket in that episode.

Star Trek: STD Season 4 episodes 1 and 2. This is a tough watch, this makes me realize the previous seasons were decent in comparison. One thing that I am struggling with is how dour and ugly everything looks in this season. Awful color palette for the sets, effects and many of the uniforms. The last season of Picard was bad though at least there were the odd moment of levity and the characters were likable. STD is the worst and most unprofessional crew in Trek ever.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Taking a bit of a risk coming into this thread, but I watched the first season of Star Trek TOS, really solid. There were pretty much no bad episodes, and for a season of 29 that's impressive. I might be a Star Trek fan yet.
    My Top 5:

1. City on the Edge of Forever

2. Space Seed

3. The Menagerie

4. Conscience of the King

5. Where No Man Has Gone Before
    Taking a bit of a risk coming into this thread, but I watched the first season of Star Trek TOS, really solid. There were pretty much no bad episodes, and for a season of 29 that's impressive. I might be a Star Trek fan yet.
    My Top 5:

2. Space Seed

3. The Menagerie

All superb episodes, I agree with your number 1 its probably my favorite all time Star Trek episode.
    I’d argue “The Alternative Factor” stands among the worst episodes of not just TOS but Trek in general. It must have been shocking in 1967 to get such a poor episode like that in an otherwise strong season, and then the very next week “The City on the Edge of Forever” premieres.
    Star Trek: SNW Episode 5 Amok Spock, I felt a multitude of emotions during this episode. I feel like I am watching Star Trek and this show is really good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My Top 5:

2. Space Seed

3. The Menagerie

If Season 2's episode "The Doomsday Machine" didn't exist, City On The Edge Of Forever would definitely be my favourite.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited July 2022 Posts: 554
    Have to say, despite the praise it seems to get I thought A Private Little War was a very weak episode. The argument between Kirk and McCoy was good, and the themes are interesting, but the execution didn't work at all for me.
    Is it one is the most praised episodes? I’ve always thought it was one of the big examples of Trek getting heavy handed but not in a good way.
    Is it one is the most praised episodes? I’ve always thought it was one of the big examples of Trek getting heavy handed but not in a good way.

No, in Trek circles it's thought of as an episode that raised pertinent questions, and for that it's respected, but certainly not unduly praised. Also, it had the best close ups of the hand phaser of any episode...
    I can’t wait for the episode of SNW which explains why Pikes MASSIVE apartment/quarters is reduced to a small room when Kirk takes command and all the strong independent women are ordered to wear mini skirts and serve the men coffee😆
    Maybe SNW will explain why in 2269 women were no longer admitted as captains in Starfleet.

My theory: The GOP party is still at large in the 23rd century.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Maybe SNW will explain why in 2269 women were no longer admitted as captains in Starfleet.

My theory: The GOP party is still at large in the 23rd century.

Now why go there?
    George Carlin said it best: They’re anti-women.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    George Carlin said it best: They’re anti-women.

Ludicrous…
    Indeed they are.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I can’t wait for the episode of SNW which explains why Pikes MASSIVE apartment/quarters is reduced to a small room when Kirk takes command and all the strong independent women are ordered to wear mini skirts and serve the men coffee😆

Yep. :))
    In all seriousness, STRANGE NEW WORLDS may have the best first season for a Star Trek series since TOS. I hope they keep it up or even just improve it with the upcoming second season.

Here’s how I’d rank the first seasons of each show:

TOS
    SNW
    DS9
    LD
    PIC
    DISCO
    VOY
    TNG
    ENT

DS9 had a fairly solid first season and on that basis it’s ahead of the others but doesn’t come out as great as TOS or SNW. But it has “Duet”, one of THE top tier episodes of Trek of ALL TIME. LD was surprisingly enjoyable and I feel it’s already gotten better as they’ve found their footing with what kind of show it is, balancing humor and what makes a Star Trek show.

After that… not many first seasons I’m eager to revisit. ENT is at the bottom just for being so incredibly dull and vanilla. If my first impression of TNG was its first season I would have had no hope for how amazing it eventually got down the line. “Code Of Honor” is bottom of the barrel bad.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I fell behind with this show, thanks to Stranger Things and The Boys. Great to hear it's getting some love. I'm up to episode 4 or 5.
    I'm currently watching the TNG series for the first time and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have seen some Star Trek movies before but while they were mostly entertaining, I wasn't too impressed either then.

It seems it was the right decision to watch TNG, since I like TV series from that time (80s, early 90s) anyway.

Some of my favorite episodes:
    "Q Who"
    "The Ensigns of Command"
    "Who Watches The Watchers"
    "Déjà Q"
    "Hollow Pursuits"
    "The Best of Both Worlds" Part 1 and 2
    "Half a Life"
    "Power Play"
    "I Borg"
    "The Inner Light"
    "Chain Of Command" Part 1 and 2
    "Tapestry"
    "Gambit" Part 1 and 2

Since I'm almost done with the show (currently watching season 7), I'm not sure what to watch next? Probably either DS9 or TOS, even though the latter seems a bit too "old school" for my taste.

I'm now even reading a TNG novel and it's a very good read so far. Anyone reading some Star Trek novels, too?
    Definitely give DS9 a shot. It starts off slow, mostly serving as character study with lots of world building, but it gets better with each season. If you like Worf, he later joins on the fourth season and honestly gets a lot better stories than he did on TNG.

GettyImages-1410187345.jpeg?w=865&h=485&crop=1&resize=681%2C383

William Shatner Sounds Off on ‘Star Wars,’ Latest ‘Star Trek’ Shows During Lively Comic-Con Appearance
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/william-shatner-star-trek-star-wars-1235184608/

When asked to address the fans of that other major sci-fi franchise, Shatner quipped, “fuck Star Wars…. But not Mark Hamill.”

“We love Mark Hamill,” Smith agreed.

When asked by a fan if there were any new Star Trek series he thought rivaled his own, Shatner replied, “none of them.”

“I got to know [creator] Gene Roddenberry in three years fairly well,” said Shatner, “he’d be turning in his grave at some of this stuff.”