Alfred Hitchcock Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Salvador Dali Dream Sequence from Spellbound (1945)
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    I'm getting into hitchcock and I love his style of filming I bought the hitchcock ultimate collection on bluray . And I'm trying to collect all his films. I hear the 4k boxset is pretty good with the transfers. See link for boxset information https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alfred-Hitchcock-The-Ultimate-Collection-Blu-ray/186738/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,449
    DB5MN wrote: »
    I'm getting into hitchcock and I love his style of filming I bought the hitchcock ultimate collection on bluray . And I'm trying to collect all his films. I hear the 4k boxset is pretty good with the transfers. See link for boxset information https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alfred-Hitchcock-The-Ultimate-Collection-Blu-ray/186738/

I've got that one. It's great. Far from complete, of course, with a few essential films missing from the list (Lifeboat, Strangers On A Train, Rebecca, Dial M For Murder, To Catch A Thief, ...) but still great. The bonus features rock!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Lifeboat is a recent watch and I was spellbound. They don't make films like that anymore and if they did I doubt it would be pulled off as successfully.

I have this set. DVD's but nice job on the transfers!

https://www.amazon.ca/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Bilingual/dp/B000A1INJE/ref=asc_df_B000A1INJE?tag=bingshopdesk-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852123977152&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451672025621&psc=1

Also this set

https://www.amazon.ca/Alfred-Hitchcock-Collection-Cary-Grant/dp/B0002HOES0

Both have some terrific films and yes the special features are great and worthy of the films they are about.
    Salvador Dali Dream Sequence from Spellbound (1945)

I recently learned that this sequence was not even directed by Hitchcock, but by William Cameron Menzies.
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Frenzy is a very good film, indeed. Shows the master still has what it takes.

Funny side note: it's the only Hitchcock film that shows nudity.

I'm getting into hitchcock and I love his style of filming I bought the hitchcock ultimate collection on bluray . And I'm trying to collect all his films. I hear the 4k boxset is pretty good with the transfers.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I've got that one. It's great. Far from complete, of course, with a few essential films missing from the list (Lifeboat, Strangers On A Train, Rebecca, Dial M For Murder, To Catch A Thief, ...) but still great. The bonus features rock!

@DarthDimi ok im very excited to start watching that I plan to get those separate I see the criterion collection has those films. Does the criterion people do a good job with their releases? I hope lots of special features. :)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @DB5MN. While "good" is a somewhat subjective concept, my experience has been that Criterion Collection editions tend to be definitive - in both print quality and the scope of the special features (and don't forget the enclosed film essays). Even the artwork tends to be top-notch.

Naturally, the extent of the special features varies by title. For example, even though Criterion's box set of the Showa Era Godzilla films was great, there were complaints from fans about not having the English dubs for many of the titles, and a lack of audio commentaries for all but two of the movies. That said, as some online users pointed out - rights issues (esp. with foreign films) can often dictate what special features are made available.

The long and short of it:
    1. See what extras are available and whether they are worth it to you.
    2. Attempt to but the Criterion Collection versions when they are on sale. For example, both Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com are having 50% off sales this month (July).

I also hope this helps.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    FYI (Notorious 1946)
    5542fc8e-d52f-4f92-b540-d43f0b7838bc._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg

Criterion Special Features
    New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    Audio commentaries from 1990 and 2001 featuring film historian Rudy Behlmer and Alfred Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane
    New interview with Hitchcock biographer Donald Spoto
    New program about the film’s visual style with cinematographer John Bailey
    New scene analysis by film scholar David Bordwell
    New program about Hitchcock’s storyboarding and previsualization process by filmmaker Daniel Raim
    Newsreel footage from 1948 of actor Ingrid Bergman and Hitchcock
    Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Notorious from 1948, starring Bergman and Joseph Cotten
    Trailers and teasers
    Plus: An essay by critic Angelica Jade Bastién
    That cover art is much better than the one of the older Criterion edition.
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    edited July 2022 Posts: 47
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @DB5MN. While "good" is a somewhat subjective concept, my experience has been that Criterion Collection editions tend to be definitive - in both print quality and the scope of the special features (and don't forget the enclosed film essays). Even the artwork tends to be top-notch.

Naturally, the extent of the special features varies by title. For example, even though Criterion's box set of the Showa Era Godzilla films was great, there were complaints from fans about not having the English dubs for many of the titles, and a lack of audio commentaries for all but two of the movies. That said, as some online users pointed out - rights issues (esp. with foreign films) can often dictate what special features are made available.

The long and short of it:
    1. See what extras are available and whether they are worth it to you.
    2. Attempt to but the Criterion Collection versions when they are on sale. For example, both Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com are having 50% off sales this month (July).

I also hope this helps.

Ok I thought this is interesting about vertigo
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    I just love this soundtrack
    I’ve been thinking of expanding my Hitchcock collection, which is far from extensive, and only covers some of the more popular releases on digital and DVD. I know there are many film releases and collections on Blu-ray and to a lesser extent 4K, but how many of his films have actually got a 4K release?

4K has never been a must for me to be honest, but if we already have (and will get) a lot of the Hitchcock catalogue in 4K, I could be tempted to reconsider my stance on 4K.
    Currently enjoying the repeats of 'Alfred Hitchcock presents' on Sky Arts. Little half hour gems with wonderful opening/closing monologues by Hitch himself. Tonights two episodes are followed by my favourite Hitchcock film. 'FRENZY' at 9pm.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I’ve been thinking of expanding my Hitchcock collection, which is far from extensive, and only covers some of the more popular releases on digital and DVD. I know there are many film releases and collections on Blu-ray and to a lesser extent 4K, but how many of his films have actually got a 4K release?

4K has never been a must for me to be honest, but if we already have (and will get) a lot of the Hitchcock catalogue in 4K, I could be tempted to reconsider my stance on 4K.

I have the majority of Hitchcock films on DVD and Bluray, I have not been pushed to get any on 4K the Blurays already look great.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Currently enjoying the repeats of 'Alfred Hitchcock presents' on Sky Arts. Little half hour gems with wonderful opening/closing monologues by Hitch himself. Tonights two episodes are followed by my favourite Hitchcock film. 'FRENZY' at 9pm.

I noticed the series a few weeks ago, I missed the first episode though recorded the rest, looking forward to revising them.

I have the majority of Hitchcock films on DVD and Bluray, I have not been pushed to get any on 4K the Blurays already look great.

There are a couple of Blu-ray collections I've considered, as well as other releases. Some of these are American releases though, which will require getting another Blu-ray player/drive.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,104

There are a couple of Blu-ray collections I've considered, as well as other releases. Some of these are American releases though, which will require getting another Blu-ray player/drive.

Is that down to Region lock? thankfully all my players play any Region.

Is that down to Region lock? thankfully all my players play any Region.

Yes. I don't have a region free player so I need to get another player in any case.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My experience from 1 1/2 years ago is that you hardly find a sizable selection of Blu-ray players anymore in the first place, and that a "region-free" feature is prohibitively expensive. So I decided to buy a small Sony (not code-free) to replace my (originally seven times or so more expensive) 2010 Pioneer at the time.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 17,241
    Haven't checked how the market looks like for Blu-ray players these days, but my current Blu-ray player of choice is actually an external Blu-ray drive. I'm likely to just get another one of those, as it didn't cost much.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,104
    I have 4 Bluray players my Sony player is Region free. My Xbox's maybe also never tried.
    I have 4 Bluray players my Sony player is Region free. My Xbox's maybe also never tried.

I have a PS3 boxed up, but I don't think the Blu-ray player on that one is region free. Xbox might be different though.
    ________

As far as Blu-ray collections goes. Is The Masterpiece Collection the most extensive one out there, or are there better options?
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA

I have a PS3 boxed up, but I don't think the Blu-ray player on that one is region free. Xbox might be different though.
    ________

As far as Blu-ray collections goes. Is The Masterpiece Collection the most extensive one out there, or are there better options?

I got the essential collection which is newer came out in 2017 it's got a good amount of them. Otherwise there are 4 film sets to add to that I just been getting them of Amazon because I have prime. It looks like criterion has alot of hitch's films.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 17,241

________

I got the essential collection which is newer came out in 2017 it's got a good amount of them. Otherwise there are 4 film sets to add to that I just been getting them of Amazon because I have prime. It looks like criterion has alot of hitch's films.

Thanks, @DB5MN, I'll look for that one. I've also been looking at Criterion releases; the cover artwork for Criterion's release of Notorious is probably one of the best Blu-ray cover artworks I've ever seen.

________

Recently I have been thinking of getting an external Bluray drive for my PC I only have an external DVD drive currently, I have in the past often used my PC to watch Region 1 DVD's. It might just be as easy to do so with an external Bluray player, plus they are reasonably priced.
    I am not an expert on the topic, but I'd assume the potential gain from watching Hitchcock in 4k is relatively small?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote: »
    I am not an expert on the topic, but I'd assume the potential gain from watching Hitchcock in 4k is relatively small?

You can see the grain better.

________

Recently I have been thinking of getting an external Bluray drive for my PC I only have an external DVD drive currently, I have in the past often used my PC to watch Region 1 DVD's. It might just be as easy to do so with an external Bluray player, plus they are reasonably priced.

Yes, the prices aren't bad at all really, and depending on what one might need, they are an alternative to ordinary Blu-ray players.
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA

________

Thanks, @DB5MN, I'll look for that one. I've also been looking at Criterion releases; the cover artwork for Criterion's release of Notorious is probably one of the best Blu-ray cover artworks I've ever seen.

Yeah @Torgeirtrap the criterion collection artwork is cool the special features sound good too.
    I bought the Criterion Blu-ray of Notorious. Can recommend. Excellent quality!

________

Yeah @Torgeirtrap the criterion collection artwork is cool the special features sound good too.

Indeed!
    jobo wrote: »
    I bought the Criterion Blu-ray of Notorious. Can recommend. Excellent quality!

I've only seen a few clips and photos from the Criterion release (which of course is just an indication on how it really looks like), but what I saw looked really good.