Terence Young accused of harassment.

MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
in Bond Movies Posts: 8,000
Marguerite LeWars accuses Terence Young of sexually harassing her on DR. NO.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/13/terence-young-accused-of-sexual-harassment-on-dr-no/?fbclid=IwAR3BKWRSaNEhdDLVQ5MEobWIfPfzCp14PWgG6XnjJ7ADoOt93bMu3bnu1O4

Honestly, doesn’t surprise me. That’s the industry from the 1960s which I imagine was a bit worse than today. Power comes to peoples’ heads so stuff like this happens. That doesn’t mean we should toss out our discs of Young’s films. I own Alfred Hitchcock films but am not above acknowledging he was a creep in real life.

At the very least, it’s safe to say Eon won’t hire Terence Young for Bond 26.

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,813
    This might sound harsh. And like most people, I despise sexual assault and harassment. It’s despicable and no one should have to experience it.
    However Terence Young has been deceased for 28 years. I understand that talking about such things can be very traumatic too the victim, but why bring it up now? Terence Young can’t defend himself, or be punished if he was guilty.
    If it helps Ms. LeWars get through a traumatic time, then so be it. But I don’t think there is any reason to make it public. Both families must be very upset with this news.
    After such a lengthy time since the passing of the accused it seems pointless to me. As I said Terence Young can’t defend himself.
    It’s not a nice news story at all.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited July 2022 Posts: 8,000
    I think it’s understandable WHY she only says this now: She’s at a secure place at the end of her life where she no longer feels afraid to lay it all out. Whereas prior, like most women, did not feel comfortable sharing such stories. Sure, it’s not “nice” to say this 28 years after he died, but assault is also not nice. She’s not looking to cancel anyone, obviously. She’s also at the near end of her life, so whatever she’s been holding close to the chest she sees it’s the time to be straight up.

I also think it’s incredibly important as Bond fans that we hear the stories, ANY whether bad or good, about the production of DR. NO because right now there’s so few left who can actually give out first hand accounts. Especially because EON is notorious for putting out sanitized accounts of productions.

EDIT: According to James Page, she already told about this years ago on the Daily Gleaner.

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    EDIT: According to James Page, she already told about this years ago on the Daily Gleaner.

She has alluded to something, yeah. https://www.straight.com/movies/414181/bond-girl-marguerite-gordon-brings-1960s-glam-vancity

"I had a bit of a disagreement with, God rest his soul, Terence Young,” Gordon says, explaining how the director wanted to fly her to London for dialog overdubs. “I felt that he felt that I would be willing to go the casting couch way, so I was extremely annoyed with him at the wrap party. Then he wrote me from London and asked me to come up, and I said, ‘No, I’m not coming.’ And he said, ‘Well we can take out your scene,’ and I said, ‘You’ve already paid me so take it out’”—she laughs heartily—“but he never did, so it’s somebody else’s voice overdubbed.”

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2022 Posts: 3,382
    I do wonder if he did that to other actresses as well, yet maybe some of them are still afraid to speak?

Remember, Terrence Young directed three films.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I do wonder if he did that to other actresses as well, yet maybe some of them are still afraid to speak?

Remember, Terrence Young directed three films.

If that’s the case, they’re either haven’t spoken up or have already taken it to the grave. Jamie Lee Curtis has alluded to her mother possibly having been harassed by Hitchcock, but knew her well enough that it’s not something she would have ever confessed and might have even hated the #MeToo movement. Because a lot of women from that era had this perspective that in spite of how they might have been treated, they don’t dare say anything about those they worked for because they feel they owe their careers to them and that it would be disrespectful to speak up. But that’s how that generation viewed things.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's a horrible story, and I think it's healthy for as many as possible of these stories to be revealed, because that's how we grow as a society. Covering this stuff up helps no-one but the aggressors.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    It's a horrible story, and I think it's healthy for as many as possible of these stories to be revealed, because that's how we grow as a society. Covering this stuff up helps no-one but the aggressors.

I agree. The message should be that it's never too late, not just for the victims, but also for the accused, who sometimes feel that after X number of years, it no longer matters.

I'm not saying that the man's corpse ought to be dug up and soaked in Holy Water, nor that I suddenly lose respect for his work. But it's good for any victim of any crime to come out at some point. After all, there's still that "victim taboo", the fear that society will blame the victim for what happened, or simply for not having spoken much sooner.

Less than a month ago, right before the exams, a 17-year-old student of mine confessed sexual abuse, stalking and intimidation by one of her fellow students. She had pretty solid evidence on her phone too, for the guy hadn't exactly been subtle in the messages and videos he had sent her. She just wanted to talk about it with me, nothing more. I still urged her to press charges, not let the guy get away with it, for various reasons: he might do it again, she might struggle with the facts for the rest of her life, and it could be a missed opportunity for others to understand that you mustn't keep such abuse internalized. But she felt ashamed, kept wondering if maybe she hadn't led him on, ... I had to spell it out for her that nothing she could have done, could possibly excuse the guy's behaviour. Given she's a minor and I, as a teacher, have to report such things even if I didn't want to, I did sit down with some people from my school and her parents. Luckily, she accepted this and in the end, charges were pressed and now it's in the hands of the police who, unfortunately, are taking their sweet time to look into it.