Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes, she probably had the most interesting story as it turns out, but it was over before the last episode.

Moses Ingram did a good job with the scenes she was given. There was an obvious arrogance to her but it was clear she was hiding something throughout. I don't really understand why people are slating the performance.

I have seen a few of the comments elsewhere on the net and I can make an educated guess as to why ;) Some of them follow a pattern, shall we say.
    I didn’t think she was amazing but perfectly fine, and no one was particularly amazing in it really. I thought MacGregor gave a particularly flat performance, especially as he’s supposed to be the movie star.
    I guess the little girl was the impressive one.
    It only dawned on me that the actor playing the Grand Inquisitor was none other than Rupert Friend, which was amusing. He was having a lot of fun hamming up that voice.

I must admit I thought he really was poor. I see what he was going for, but it just wasn’t taking off for me and he stuck out in his scenes. Way more Dr Who than SW (and I like Dr Who!).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Funnily enough I did a 180° on the girl who played Leia on second watch. She irritated me greatly during the first go, but I found her much more likeable last time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I know what you mean, I was ready to hate the cute capable girl character at the beginning (the ridiculous way she could run faster than any adult in the first ep or two didn’t help!) but I did warm to her and she could be surprisingly subtle at times.
    She was wonderful during those interrogation scenes. You could really picture Carrie Fisher sitting in her place.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I wonder how much thought was put into this.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's just blue is good, red is bad, isn't it? And then when Luke lost his blue one he made a green one so it looked different, then they added some different colours after that. Is there any more meaning than that?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,102

I wonder how much thought was put into this.

Good breakdown video on Lightsabers. I am currently playing Jedi: Fallen Orderr, good game.
    Excellent analysis of why the Reva…..sorry….KENOBI show was more straight white male hating garbage from Kathleen Kennedy..

• Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Excellent analysis of why the Reva…..sorry….KENOBI show was more straight white male hating garbage from Kathleen Kennedy..

If these guys spent half as much time giving these movies and shows a chance as they do trying to find ways to say they're woke and SJW, it'd be a great thing. Remember when they were losing their shit over NTTD because Nomi was a bit snarky with Bond in the trailer?

I had my issues with Kenobi for sure, but this is just rage bait.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Seriously Aston, stop falling for this garbage. I know you’re smarter than that.
  • Kenobi had its strengths and weaknesses for me. I wasn’t a big fan of the blatant continuity breaks, and some of the writing choices left me scratching my head, but as a huge fan of the prequels, I was glad to see Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen back. It was a trip down nostalgia way for me. Moses Ingram did the best she could with the material she was given, I wouldn’t mind seeing her story expanded in future projects perhaps. What I’d really like is to fully move away from this time period. After playing the KOTOR games, I’m seeing the potential in setting a project in that time period. Revan deserves his live action debut.
    Now this is more like it.And cutting out the pointless Reva scenes which ruined the original duel is even better.

If these guys spent half as much time giving these movies and shows a chance as they do trying to find ways to say they're woke and SJW, it'd be a great thing. Remember when they were losing their shit over NTTD because Nomi was a bit snarky with Bond in the trailer?

I had my issues with Kenobi for sure, but this is just rage bait.

Interesting.Exactly which part of the presenters detailed review of all six episodes did you disagree with? Because I’m sure you followed your own advice and didn’t make a sweeping generalisation about the videos content just because of the thumbnail.

If the entire premise of the analysis is that the show is a 'bait and switch' then it's a flawed analysis from the off. It's not the Reva show, no matter how much people try to convince us of that fact or that they just "have a problem with bad writing." People were complaining about her after the first episode, which says a lot.

She is a supporting character who has a lot less screentime than the protagonist, she just happens to have an arc.

You can't build a show around Kenobi lurking around in a cave. You need supporting characters with their own motivations in order for the show to build momentum.

Of course, I say that as someone who feels she should have been dead by the final episode. They didn't resolve her story in a good way. She should have martyred herself rather than make steps towards redemption. But that was the only real misstep as far as I'm concerned.
    If the entire premise of the analysis is that the show is a 'bait and switch' then it's a flawed analysis from the off. It's not the Reva show, no matter how much people try to convince us of that fact or that they just "have a problem with bad writing." People were complaining about her after the first episode, which says a lot.

She is a supporting character who has a lot less screentime than the protagonist, she just happens to have an arc.

You can't build a show around Kenobi lurking around in a cave. You need supporting characters with their own motivations in order for the show to build momentum.

Of course, I say that as someone who feels she should have been dead by the final episode. They didn't resolve her story in a good way. She should have martyred herself rather than make steps towards redemption. But that was the only real misstep as far as I'm concerned.

There was nothing wrong with having a character like Reva in there per se,but she was clearly put there With the intention of being the “ strong diverse female character “ that Kennedy is obsessed with putting in all SW content.Reva should have been at best a minor character and yes,should have been killed off in episode 5.There’s just no way in hell that Vader would let her live ( Especially after running her through for the SECOND time ).

The show should have focused on Kenobi and Vader.That’s what people wanted to see.The final fight between them was ruined by the way they kept cutting back to Reva on Tatooine who wanted to kill Luke for…reasons?

The single most idiotic aspect of the show was Bail Organa sending that holo message to Kenobi,outing himself as a Rebel spy,outing The existence of Luke and if that’s bad enough,Kenobi does not delete the message before handing it over to a con man he has met only once before who drops it,and Reva after being stabbed through the chest,crawls over to see it.

I almost forgot how they write Vader to be a moron in that he not only doesn’t kill Reva but doesn’t have his Star Destoyer and Tie Fighters hunt down the refugee ship while he personally takes on Kenobi.

Good god the show was so bad!

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Just watching The Empire Strikes Back in 4K with Dolby Atmos the sound design is exceptional especially during the Battle of Hoth. Its truly amazing that 40 years after first seeing this film I still get goosebumps and chills during certain scenes.

As far as Obi Wan Kenobi mini series is concerned it was an insult I will never watch it again.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Great production values, infinitely better than Obi Wan Kenobi. Great cast i am really looking forward to Andor, looks awesome.
  • This trailer makes the Obi-Wan show look like a cheap web series ; much higher production values and real locations!
    This trailer makes the Obi-Wan show look like a cheap web series ; much higher production values and real locations!

Real locations a major plus.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It does look great, but I am not subscibing to Disney+ for this, either.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,518

There was nothing wrong with having a character like Reva in there per se,but she was clearly put there With the intention of being the “ strong diverse female character “ that Kennedy is obsessed with putting in all SW content.Reva should have been at best a minor character and yes,should have been killed off in episode 5.There’s just no way in hell that Vader would let her live ( Especially after running her through for the SECOND time ).

The show should have focused on Kenobi and Vader.That’s what people wanted to see.The final fight between them was ruined by the way they kept cutting back to Reva on Tatooine who wanted to kill Luke for…reasons?

The single most idiotic aspect of the show was Bail Organa sending that holo message to Kenobi,outing himself as a Rebel spy,outing The existence of Luke and if that’s bad enough,Kenobi does not delete the message before handing it over to a con man he has met only once before who drops it,and Reva after being stabbed through the chest,crawls over to see it.

I almost forgot how they write Vader to be a moron in that he not only doesn’t kill Reva but doesn’t have his Star Destoyer and Tie Fighters hunt down the refugee ship while he personally takes on Kenobi.

Good god the show was so bad!

Yes, all main characters must be white men. Don't ruin Star Wars Kathleen!

In my several years here I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about anything (except maybe Brosnan here and there).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have Disney+ now since my daughter loves a lot of stuff on there but still haven't felt that push to check out these new series. And considering how interwoven some of them seem to be, I just don't have the patience or time to do it. It's like all the Marvel stuff now, where you're missing out on information and character relationships and easter eggs if you didn't watch the last 40 films and 25 shows and limited series. It's too much.
    I ended up cancelling my Disney+ after Kenobi, but there was definitely some great stuff in that show.
    Andor looks good as well, but in the end the constant content becomes exhausting. More than satisfied with Rogue One to tell the story of that period of time.
    I’ll definitely want to watch Mando 3 and probably Ahsoka as well… not sure though.
    That is some seriously piss poor journalism. They claim Star Wars made Ingram call SW fans racist, and provided no evidence, let alone proof. They then decide for themselves what they deem to be racist abuse, and decide that Ingram didn't receive any, again without any evidence or proof.

(I wonder why the article didn't post any of the "non-abuse" so readers could make up their own mind...)

The internet is so filled with this biased nonsense, and people just link it as if it supports some sort of argument.

It's always been strange to me that people have such a skeptical view of Wikipedia (anyone can put anything they want there!), and they don't have the same skepticism of the internet at large; it functions exactly the same.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'm on holiday in California at the moment and had the chance to ride Rise of the Resistance a couple times at Disneyland yesterday. That ride is incredible.

You transfer (on foot!) between a couple different vehicles, get captured, get rescued, walk through a Star Destroyer, all kinds of stuff, and with all styles of theme park attraction sort of mixed together and some truly marvelous effects. (Bits of the walls seem to take blaster damage as the fight goes on around you) You just think the whole time, "How much did all this cost, and what's the square footage of this place?" Mind-blowing. And this is from someone who thinks the sequel films are comically awful to the point of seeming deliberately bad.

Anyway, Disney must have had it in contracts that their actors have to film for theme park attractions, because Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Domhnall Gleeson all appear in video, hologram, and animatronic form. I have to say, I don't know if Daisy isn't a strong actress, or if she's really uncommitted to this type of work, or if Rey is just too much of a non-character to pull off for such appearances, but her bit came off as rather amateurish, even compared to the non-name characters who appear. It was kind of odd. The other film stars seemed as into their parts here as they were in the films.
    Sounds awesome. Would love to check out Galaxy's Edge at some point.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

*sees “boundingintocomics.com” on the link*

Nice try.
    Has anyone of those disappointed with the sequel trilogy we got tried to come up with their own sequel trilogy ideas? I was chatting with a friend at a pub recently and we were workshopping ideas we thought would be cool for a new sequel trilogy, the titles we came up with were:

Star Wars VII: The Remnant Order

Star Wars VIII: The New Dawn Breaks

Star Wars IX: The Balance of the Force

If I have some time later I might type up the story ideas, it was a fun exercise to try to come up with a new sequel story.