Top Gun - Maverick

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    I wonder how Hollywood will react to that. Hopefully it’s not just the easy option (make sequels to really old films) and rather they’ll work out what the special sauce is (make blockbusters which are really good and deliver incredible spectacle).

I would also add that extra vital ingredient too - feelgood factor.

For too long now Hollywood has tied itself up in knots, not allowing heroes anymore to be just that - heroes. They have to be flawed, tragic human beings, and with recent trends, the hero has to die at the end of the movie too. He can no longer live.

If TGM had fallen into the hands of another trendy producer, no doubt Maverick would have been killed at that moment when you thought he may have been killed in the film.

This ruins the feelgood factor, which is something Cruise has brought back, in spades. The hero wins, and survives to fight another day - and the film ends on a happy note too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yes you've said that about five times now, willy ;)

Let's watch out for spoilers too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Domestic actuals are in and it dropped only a mesmerizing -29% for a $90M second weekend. It’s holding strong also internationally crossing the $550M mark worldwide.
    Cruise has never been so successful at the boxoffice since… the first Top Gun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I didn't realise that the actor who plays Bob is Bill Pullman's son; I can see it now.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Just saw it again tonight. Such a sublime film, somehow its better with repeat viewings
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Just got back from seeing it again with the hubby. Enjoyed it just as much :).
    My girlfriend's even interested in the sequel after all the talk of late (and likely all those shirtless beach scenes she's seen online) so I'm hoping to take her if time allows in the next week or two. I'd love to see it in theaters for a second time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I learned a very interesting thing about this on the (excellent) Light the Fuselage podcast interview with Eddie Hamilton, the film’s editor:
    the climactic chase in the F14 was shot with Maverick chasing the Fifth Generation jet through the trench: Cruise suggested in the edit that it would be more exciting if Maverick were the one being chased so they managed to put the footage together to make it happen that way. Pretty amazing bit of editing!
    Also Miles Teller’s f-bomb is one of only two bits of cockpit dialogue where they actually used the version recorded in the cockpit: he was so surprised and shocked by the fly past from a real jet that he never quite managed to replicate his shock in ADR! :)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited June 2022 Posts: 573
    The editors did a stellar job with this movie. I don't know if it was someone earlier on this thread or if I read it somewhere... But they had 8,000 hours of in-flight footage to condense into a 2 hour movie. Last night I noticed how superb some of the cuts to and fro are and really fit with the context of what's actually happening on the screen. Who knows what take, what flight or whatever some of those cuts were from but it just works so well.

I also appreciated the out of flight scenes a lot more this time around. The first time around I just wanted the adrenalin junky highs of the plane sequences... Then when you strip it down to the out of cockpit scenes there's actually a stupidly simple story being told but done in such a way that makes it feel deeper than what it really is - it's so easy to follow and the individual motivations of everyone are easy to relate to.

I also love some of the characters in this movie and the way everything fits together. Jon Hamm as a minor antagonist is great and I love the way Charles Parnell contrasts as the go between, almost a foil for him in those scenes. I have to say I really love Rooster as a character and his growth/development is probably my favourite of the whole movie. It's Maverick's movie but Rooster stands side by side for me.

Look - it's shockingly simple and it's no Shakespeare but what it does well it does really, really well.

I did notice one little thing last night though...
    In the final chase with the F14 v the enemy planes I noticed that the terrain is suddenly greener whereas on the initial fly in with the F18s it's all snowy. I just didn't think they ejected far enough to get away from that. Maybe they flew really far away! Who knows? I'm also guessing that the F14 in cockpit footage is cleverly stitched together from F18 footage with some CGI to replace the back of the planes behind them. I doubt there's any flight worthy F14s anymore.
    I just got out of my fifth viewing (all but my first were on the big IMAX screen in Toronto). Crazy that I've seen the sequel almost if not already as many times in the past month as I have seen the original in the past 27 years.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Well done, Pentagon.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Random thing I loved in Maverick: all the computer displays and simulations had a very practical-looking user interface compared to what you often see in this kind of movie. Slick, buy not flashy to the point that you can't imagine someone using it in real life (Hello, Quantum of Solace!)

Iceman's setup is a peculiar exception to this though
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Very happy for Tom passing the 1 billion mark. =D>
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,343
    He deserves it.
    It will surely cross the $1.2B mark.
    In the US its legs are just insane: Maverick’s fifth weekend is the 3rd biggest ever behind only Titanic and Avatar.
    This incredibile success will boost M:I-7 performance a lot. With the help of China (M:I films are being made with Chinese money as well) Dead Reckoning will likely hit the billion as well.
    I'm really glad this film has made over a billion dollars, because it deserves it.

Maverick is such a fantastic adrenaline rush, you can see the hard work and dedication that's been poured into it. This is what the cinema is all about
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Saw it the other day, and I'm very, very glad I did. It's an epic film, and just about the best sequel I've ever seen (just beating crocodile dundee2). (kidding).
    What made the first film spectacular (the real flying) makes this stratospheric. It's amazing thry managed to balance all storylines so well, without getting cheesy. I love Penny as his love interest, and her daughter's reaction. Icemans return was done amazingly, and everything was explained without rush for those who didn't see the original. Tom called it a 'love letter to aviation'. It is, but it's also a love letter to cinema.
    My mom saw it yesterday (she rarely ever goes to the theaters) and deemed it "****ing excellent."
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Between this movie and Will Smith usurping the "I always kinda liked his movies but what's wrong with that guy" crown, everything's really coming up Tom this year. :))
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,482
    There's something really special about Top Gun Maverick, I left the cinema feeling elated and that is becoming something of a rarity in modern cinema.

The film should be applauded for that and fellow filmmakers should take notes
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    There's something really special about Top Gun Maverick, I left the cinema feeling elated and that is becoming something of a rarity in modern cinema.

The film should be applauded for that and fellow filmmakers should take notes

That's exactly how I felt, it's such a feel good experience yet full of danger and excitement until the end. I loved it so much, very refreshing.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I loved the movie, too.
    But seriously, is there any sense in bombing an atomic facility? How much radiation would this cause?
    My memory may be hazy, but didn’t they say they brought the mission forward so they could bomb before the radioactive material was delivered
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,416
    Movie now have delieverd $8,248,940 at Dutch Boxoffice in 6 weaks. That mean 1,3 million last two weaks, because after four weaks it did 6,9.

Movie now moved from 4th movie of year to 2th place. That 4th place is now for Fantastic Beasts 3 ($7,758,956) that moved from 2th place because Strange 2 stick on 3th place because it turnout movie get 8th weak ($7,816,137). 5th place on this moment still be for The Batman, but 4th and 5th weak numbers for Jurassic World 3 are stil not confirmd yet. First place will be difficult to beat, the 13,1 million is for in The Netherlands 2021 to 2022 delayd Spider-Man No Way Home.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I loved the movie, too.
    But seriously, is there any sense in bombing an atomic facility? How much radiation would this cause?
    Troy wrote: »
    My memory may be hazy, but didn’t they say they brought the mission forward so they could bomb before the radioactive material was delivered

yep, they wanted to deliver (the admiral's bombs) before the plutonium arrived.

This film is how a sequel should be done: get the same atmosphere as the previous film, and make a meaningful follow-up story.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks for the answer @Troy and @CommanderRoss. I obviously missed that.
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    edited July 2022 Posts: 47
    mtm wrote: »
    I wonder how Hollywood will react to that. Hopefully it’s not just the easy option (make sequels to really old films) and rather they’ll work out what the special sauce is (make blockbusters which are really good and deliver incredible spectacle).

I would also add that extra vital ingredient too - feelgood factor.

For too long now Hollywood has tied itself up in knots, not allowing heroes anymore to be just that - heroes. They have to be flawed, tragic human beings, and with recent trends, the hero has to die at the end of the movie too. He can no longer live.

If TGM had fallen into the hands of another trendy producer, no doubt Maverick would have been killed at that moment when you thought he may have been killed in the film.

This ruins the feelgood factor, which is something Cruise has brought back, in spades. The hero wins, and survives to fight another day - and the film ends on a happy note too.

He did something DC's Bond didn't do and should have. Actually top gun maverick did stuff bond films used to do keep you guessing till the end and somehow he survives.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I saw it for a third time last night. Even five weeks after release, the theatre was half full. The film has great legs.