House of the Dragon & Other Spin Offs

DenbighDenbigh UK
edited June 2022 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,834
105528.jpg

So now that it is officially in production, I thought I'd start a discussion page for House of the Dragon, the Game of Thrones prequel about the story of House Targaryen on HBO, set to be released in 2022.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    After all the time I dedicated into the first GOT series, only for it to end the way it did, I'll be approaching this one with a very large amount of caution and uncertainty. I do hope it's great, though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2021 Posts: 5,834
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    After all the time I dedicated into the first GOT series, only for it to end the way it did, I'll be approaching this one with a very large amount of caution and uncertainty. I do hope it's great, though.
    I can understand that. I just think with the people involved -especially the cast, I can't help but get excited :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I can understand that. I just think with the people involved -especially the cast, I can't help but get excited :)

No Benioff and Weiss involvement is the main reason I'll likely give it a shot. I'll happily avoid anything they're attached to for the rest of their careers.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,834
    graham-mctavish.jpg
    ‘Outlander’ Star Confirms He’s Been Secretly Cast in HBO’s ‘House of the Dragon’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/outlander-graham-mctavish-house-of-the-dragon-1234954351/
    That's awesome, I love McTavish.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
  • Draco20Draco20 USA

I read the book, "Fire and Blood" which is what this series is based on. Advantages over the original GoT: The book is finished. No Dan and Dave involved whatsoever. those hacks whom I refer to as Dumbass and Dipshit are gone off having stolen $200 mil from Netflix. good riddance.
    That being said, I'm pumped for HOTD and with great anticipation.

Draco20 wrote: »

I read the book, "Fire and Blood" which is what this series is based on. Advantages over the original GoT: The book is finished. No Dan and Dave involved whatsoever. those hacks whom I refer to as Dumbass and Dipshit are gone off having stolen $200 mil from Netflix. good riddance.
    That being said, I'm pumped for HOTD and with great anticipation.

Their absence is my only source of optimism here.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So excited for this. Such a great cast and I'm hopefully the show will match their talents :)
    I think I'll end up checking it out, though I'd love to see a better trailer before I decide. I don't have enough free time anymore to dedicate years to a show that's going to disappoint me like GoT did.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2022 Posts: 5,834

House of the Dragon Character Posters and New Teaser Set the Stage

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/514123-house-of-the-dragon-character-posters-and-new-teaser#/slide/1
    That's my favorite teaser yet. I guess I'll give it a shot, at least to avoid spoilers.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ‘Game of Thrones’ Jon Snow Sequel Series in Development at HBO (Exclusive)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-spinoff-1235167415/?ref=vgtimes
    No thanks, unless it'll retroactively fix the disaster that was the final season or two of GoT.

Then again, I'm clearly a fool for this series and will eat up whatever they offer so bring on the pain.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    No thanks, unless it'll retroactively fix the disaster that was the final season or two of GoT.

Then again, I'm clearly a fool for this series and will eat up whatever they offer so bring on the pain.

I did not like the finale outcome at all I am not sure where they can go with John Snow's story to be honest.

I did not like the finale outcome at all I am not sure where they can go with John Snow's story to be honest.

Watching him whine and groan beyond the wall has nothing on offer for me. He's one with the Wildlings and is idiotically banished from returning to Westeros, so what other story is there to tell?

Watching him whine and groan beyond the wall has nothing on offer for me. He's one with the Wildlings and is idiotically banished from returning to Westeros, so what other story is there to tell?

I ultimately thought Bran was the real big bad of GoT, maybe John will be pitted against him.
    main-qimg-5a14aa4952484b12a531095c9b19648a-lq
    House-of-dragon-key-art.jpg?w=1024
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 784
    Why would HBO not make the first spinoff about Robert’s Rebellion?

There are so many unanswered questions, there would be familiarity and excitement with younger versions of all the older characters, political and romantic intrigues, conspiracies, unexplored backstories/myths and fans have been begging for it since the beginning of the original. The global cult phenomenon with theories and post episodes discussions would continue.

Instead they go with characters and a story no one is vested in. And comission a Jon Snow sequel spinoff to rip off the very mild successes of the Kenobi series.

How do people get paid to make these terrible decisions. As much as streamers want to milk nostalgic IP, the way they go about it is causing fans to ngaf about their franchises anymore.

This industry has become a complete joke, and wouldn’t have survived a second if it wasn’t for the novelty of VoD, benefit of the doubt, and a highly political environment that kills competition to the detriment of long term profits.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Once again: please be good.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Paramount has been doing this sort of thing for years. Put the name Star Trek in front of any old s*#t and gullible fans will lap it up. Now Disney are doing the same thing to Star Wars. Inevitably Netflix would join in too. Where there's money to be made from overpriced Merch there'll be corporate greed.
    I will give it a go as it will likely be on SKY Max in the UK. The reality is nothing is likely to match the early seasons of GoT, this trailer does not suggest it will reach those levels.
    I will give it a go as it will likely be on SKY Max in the UK. The reality is nothing is likely to match the early seasons of GoT, this trailer does not suggest it will reach those levels.

Too right, though I'd love to be wrong. Those first few seasons were perfect; it's a shame the back half was so horrible that it retroactively destroyed everything else that came before and I'll never be able to go back and enjoy those as a result, knowing what it all builds to: a bucket of trash and waste.

Too right, though I'd love to be wrong. Those first few seasons were perfect; it's a shame the back half was so horrible that it retroactively destroyed everything else that came before and I'll never be able to go back and enjoy those as a result, knowing what it all builds to: a bucket of trash and waste.

I started buying GoT boxset with the intension of buying the whole series (I did the same with Westworld in 4K) though a few seasons down the line me buying the subsequent seasons ground to a hault when the quality dropped.