Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Neck snaps, especially by supernatural means, are kind of 'safe' violence though I'd say. It's not very visceral stuff.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2022 Posts: 8,009
    I don't think I agree with that at all. I'd say snapping a child's neck is about as visceral as it gets. I don't think the method really makes a difference.

Anyway, I wasn't actually underestimating a child's ability's to process violence; Star Wars as I said is full of fairly grown-up thematic material in relation to genocide, war etc. I was merely surprised that that it was shown so explicitly as most of it wasn't before. Even Vader killing his generals in the OT were played a bit lighter or we just saw the aftermath.

I should say that I'm weirdly happily surprised, but surprised nonetheless. I'm digging the show, essentially.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I didn't even notice it to be honest! :) I'll have to go back and see if I can spot it on a rewatch; I only remembered the bit where he dragged the lady along the ground after him, which I thought was quite fun.

I think the method absolutely makes a difference: spacemen hurting other spacemen through magic is always going to be less scary than a man creeping into a real home and killing them with his bare hands- it's how a lot of horror films deliver their scares.
    That I liked also! I thought the whole sequence was very well done, even if the way the fight resolved itself was pretty contrived. But then again, they're trying to slot all these things into place as best they can.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,104
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Regarding the neck snapping, yes, it should get a visceral response from kids and grown-ups alike. It also demonstrates that Vader really is evil, rather than just incredibly powerful. My only complaint about the original films is that we were always told how evil Vader is but rarely shown. And while neck snapping and such may feel exploitative, borderline problematic even in a series that tries to cater to as wide an audience as possible, it pins a huge exclamation mark behind every Dark Side comment ever made before. It also increases Obi-Wan's suffering and explains why he feels that he has failed so heavily. Vader started by killing younglings at the end of ROTS. He has gotten even more cruel since. I understand that we don't need to see it for the message to get through, but it certainly emphasizes his poisoned heart and cold, menacing nature. It may even make his moment of redemption at the end of ROTJ more powerful to kids who have only now begun to explore SW. Lastly, the Harry Potter films were into some dark stuff too. Killing children wasn't out of the ordinary for those stories either. And then there were the Hunger Games. I am sure that kids can handle kids being killed; in fact, let it shock them! Let them feel the pain, let them show some empathy.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I was eight years old when I saw the villain in THE TEMPLE OF DOOM rip a guy’s heart out of his chest.

I turned out fine. I think adults tend to be forgetful of kids actually ENJOYING scary or grisly stuff.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I just don't think a quick snapping sound effect will terrify kids too bad.
    I do, on the other hand, think the original US version of Temple of Doom is way too much! :D A man screaming for quite a long time as he bursts into flame would've stayed in my head as a kid I think- give me the 80s UK butchered version any day of the week :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Contains spoilers...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Gotta say this is the best depiction of Vader since the OT.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Contains spoilers...

I am probably prejudiced, but the music and sound effects they use in this show makes me think it is a comedy?
    Contains spoilers...

I am probably prejudiced, but the music and sound effects they use in this show makes me think it is a comedy?

It may as well be though my opinion differs from others. At least three scenes in the show so far play like a Benny Hill sketch.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Contains spoilers...

It may as well be though my opinion differs from others. At least three scenes in the show so far play like a Benny Hill sketch.

is the neck-snapping scene one of them?
    Contains spoilers...

is the neck-snapping scene one of them?

No that's one of the better scenes, what follows that scene I am not keen on. Vader is done well for the most part, easily the best thing in the show. .
    Contains spoilers...

It's pretty rubbish, indeed.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,104
    Obi Recap Kenobi Episode IV the script and direction is still a bit clunky, the Reva and
    Leia
    interactions were odd. A certain scene was very morbid when Obi Wan sees the
    Tombs. God knows how a Youngling got there and why are they still wearing a hat.
    At least Kenobi is acting more like a Jedi in this. Some of the CGI looked a bit dodgy, certainly near the end, perhaps they are saving the budget for the final two episodes?

Edited: I watched episode IV again this is bordering on hilariously bad and the show is becoming entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

_7B8Sr.gif
    Exclusive: ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Reva Spin-Off Series In The Works For Disney Plus
    https://www.screengeek.net/2022/06/09/obi-wan-kenobi-reva-spin-off-series-disney-plus/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A spin-off of a spin-off of a prequel. Stunning.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A spin-off of a spin-off of a prequel. Stunning.

Disney need to keep churning out there monthly shows to keep the subscribers, admittedly upto now I have gone a long with it, though its becoming more evident that the content is getting worse.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I did wonder that she'll turn good by the end of the series, I wonder if this hints at that.
    mtm wrote: »
    I did wonder that she'll turn good by the end of the series, I wonder if this hints at that.

Yeah it seems to be heading that way.
    My gut feeling was that she wasn't going to survive til the end.
    I am not surprised. Disney is also creating a spinoff series around one of the least interesting characters from Hawkeye. And we keep rolling with it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I am not surprised. Disney is also creating a spinoff series around one of the least interesting characters from Hawkeye. And we keep rolling with it.

Who’s that? I haven’t heard of that.
    The obvious one they should give a vehicle to is Florence Pugh’s character as she’s a natural star.

Who’s that? I haven’t heard of that.
    The obvious one they should give a vehicle to is Florence Pugh’s character as she’s a natural star.

Maya will get her own series, Echo. I would like more Yelena or Kate. I wasn't, at all, invested in Echo though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I haven't heard of that. I'm just off to google that character because I don't remember her at all! :D

Yelena seems the natural one (beyond Kate of course as you say, because she is basically Hawkeye) but I wonder if Pugh isn't too in demand for it.
    Yelena makes the most sense to me, especially if she's to be the next Black Widow. We've seen her in the Black Widow film and we've seen her in Hawkeye. Her own spinoff series, even if only a 3-ep miniseries, could be the final push in the right popularity direction, so to speak--what is needed to make us "forget" about Natasha and fully accept Yelena in the role.

Echo is, I'm afraid, little more than that, a faint echo. I also admire newcomer Alaqua Cox for overcoming many obstacles to land and play the role, but she's not there yet. I hope she'll work with good "actor" directors who can teach her much more.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oversaturation overload. Then you have all the Marvel films and series where you need to watch a few dozen other varying titles to get all the easter eggs and tidbits sprinkled throughout newer ones. It's too much.

Still going to try out Kenobi eventually, will probably wait until it ends to do so, but not sure I want to subscribe to Disney Plus just for it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yelena makes the most sense to me, especially if she's to be the next Black Widow. We've seen her in the Black Widow film and we've seen her in Hawkeye. Her own spinoff series, even if only a 3-ep miniseries, could be the final push in the right popularity direction, so to speak--what is needed to make us "forget" about Natasha and fully accept Yelena in the role.

I wouldn't even feel the need to saddle her with the Black Widow name anyway (although I take it she is called that in the comics?); she doesn't really need a superhero name, and purely as a moviegoer the 'Black Widow' thing never really seemed to take off anyway. I'd be quite happy to see her just doing more spy stuff- she'd be a good Bond alternative and the camera loves her.
    It's fairly easy to forget Natasha: in her own movie she got blasted off the screen in the charisma stakes by all three other members of her 'family'! :)

Sorry: I just realised we're in the Star Wars thread :D

I wouldn't even feel the need to saddle her with the Black Widow name anyway (although I take it she is called that in the comics?); she doesn't really need a superhero name, and purely as a moviegoer the 'Black Widow' thing never really seemed to take off anyway. I'd be quite happy to see her just doing more spy stuff- she'd be a good Bond alternative and the camera loves her.
    It's fairly easy to forget Natasha: in her own movie she got blasted off the screen in the charisma stakes by all three other members of her 'family'! :)

Sorry: I just realised we're in the Star Wars thread :D

It's all the same, i.e. Disney milking the cow. 😉