The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »

- Hello there. Do you know where I can find the, uhh..., the park swings?
    - Get lost, mate.

That's an improvement on his actual line, which is "Look, I fancy you, you fancy me, let's not mess about."

(Which reads like 'James Bond but honest' now I come to think of it.)

I think the lines in DAD were not that far off. 'I'm here for the birds'. And Dan's little finger line isn't that far off either.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd have no interest in the film otherwise but will eventually check it out thanks to Brosnan.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am curious about what they do with Hawkman.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

A good look at Brosnan as Dr. Fate
    Definitely not for me but I'll check it out just for Brosnan.
    Not particularly interested in the movie but cool to see my main man Brosnan in there. If I watch it at some point, it'll be mostly for him.

My taste in movies keeps expanding over the years, so maybe in the future I'll be more interested in the mega-epic scale comic book movies. (Will the fad be over by then?) I have seen a few Marvel films, and even more DCs, but I'm more interested in something like Ant-Man than The Avengers.
    I'm happy to check them out when they're severely limited in the amount of CGI featured in action scenes but that's almost never the case.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Way back when Brosnan was doing movies like THE MATADOR, SERAPHIM FALLS, and THE GHOST WRITER, I assumed we were seeing the beginning of a post-Bond career renaissance for Brosnan. Perhaps becoming an award winning actor much like Connery became post-Bond.

But then he’s starring movies like SOME KIND OF BEAUTIFUL, I.T., and THE MISFITS, and that’s just movies where he’s credited as PRODUCER. He says he wished he had more creative control over his Bond films, maybe it’s a good thing he didn’t.
    #:-S

Yes as you say, when he was doing those films, and making stuff big audience-pleasing stuff like Thomas Crown (which still stands up very well) it did seem like he had established himself as a proper star, but that all slipped away very quickly and he ended up back in his straight-to-video, November Man rubbish. I almost wonder if he'll dig up old 'Mike Graham' for a belated third film in the series...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I was channel hoping and stumbled on Noble House 1988 mini series, its part the way through though its got me intrigued. Brosnan in his role as a Taipan is showing flashes of his Bond.

I will see if I can get hold of the dvd.
    MV5BOTU5YjI3YTYtNmQxMi00NmVkLThjODQtYjM3ODQ4Y2Y5ZTY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk0MjQ3Nzk@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
    A few familiar faces Co star including Bond allumini John Rhys-Davies and Burt Kwouk.
    Pierce-Brosnan-Noble-House-Dinner-Suit-3.jpg
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I'd love to seek that out and see it sometime soon too.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Creasy47 wrote: »

They only showed part one, I will look tomorrow to see if its on catch up on my Freeview Recorder, I wish I had known before hand I would of recorded it.

When I have looked for PB early work on dvd in the past I usually have success finding it, I will explore that option if needed.

They only showed part one, I will look tomorrow to see if its on catch up on my Freeview Recorder, I wish I had known before hand I would of recorded it.

When I have looked for PB early work on dvd in the past I usually have success finding it, I will explore that option if needed.

Agreed, I've been able to easily find most of the ones I've searched for.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mtm wrote: »
    Way back when Brosnan was doing movies like THE MATADOR, SERAPHIM FALLS, and THE GHOST WRITER, I assumed we were seeing the beginning of a post-Bond career renaissance for Brosnan. Perhaps becoming an award winning actor much like Connery became post-Bond.

But then he’s starring movies like SOME KIND OF BEAUTIFUL, I.T., and THE MISFITS, and that’s just movies where he’s credited as PRODUCER. He says he wished he had more creative control over his Bond films, maybe it’s a good thing he didn’t.

Yes as you say, when he was doing those films, and making stuff big audience-pleasing stuff like Thomas Crown (which still stands up very well) it did seem like he had established himself as a proper star, but that all slipped away very quickly and he ended up back in his straight-to-video, November Man rubbish. I almost wonder if he'll dig up old 'Mike Graham' for a belated third film in the series...

I agree on the Thomas Crown Affair, but November Man made close to 40 million in cinema's on a 15 mil budget. Not a blockbuster, but not that bad either. I think his performance was quite good, but he was far better in the straight-to-streaming (thank you netflix, not!) The Foreigner.

I agree on the Thomas Crown Affair, but November Man made close to 40 million in cinema's on a 15 mil budget. Not a blockbuster, but not that bad either. I think his performance was quite good, but he was far better in the straight-to-streaming (thank you netflix, not!) The Foreigner.

I might be missing something in your post, but The Foreigner did have a theatrical release. I saw it in theaters. Maybe not in your country?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mattjoes wrote: »

I might be missing something in your post, but The Foreigner did have a theatrical release. I saw it in theaters. Maybe not in your country?

Yeah, it had a theatrical release in the US and was released on Netflix in the UK and other territories six weeks later.
    And the best cut of the film is Chinese only; we didn't get anything nearly as action-packed or exciting here in the States, even when I saw it in theaters. I had to buy the Chinese cut directly from over there and have it shipped here to see it.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    And the best cut of the film is Chinese only; we didn't get anything nearly as action-packed or exciting here in the States, even when I saw it in theaters. I had to buy the Chinese cut directly from over there and have it shipped here to see it.
    What are the major differences?
    edited June 2022 Posts: 40,371

There's more "brutality," if you want to call it that, in the action sequences. The fight in the woods is at least double the length of the theatrical version (there's like a whole other chunk of it included) and there are a lot more flourishes and finishing moves added in almost all of the fight sequences, including the finale (where some of my favorite bits come from). It took barely five days to arrive from China and it was a great price for the blu-ray, one of my favorite international movie purchases.
    I didn't even know another cut existed! I must track that down.
    Let me know your thoughts if you ever get the chance.

There's more "brutality," if you want to call it that, in the action sequences. The fight in the woods is at least double the length of the theatrical version (there's like a whole other chunk of it included) and there are a lot more flourishes and finishing moves added in almost all of the fight sequences, including the finale (where some of my favorite bits come from). It took barely five days to arrive from China and it was a great price for the blu-ray, one of my favorite international movie purchases.

I stand corrected, the information indeed never reached me. I didn't know there was a theatrical release, certainly not here. But the full-length film is not the one shown on NF? Anyone knows if there's a difference between the European NF version and other versions?
    edited June 2022 Posts: 40,371
    What's the European NF runtime? I see the one here in the U.S. at 1h53m. I can't find the Chinese cut runtime to compare sadly.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 554
    Saw The Ghost Writer recently. Brosnan's performance was probably my favourite part. There's a certain scene towards the end with Ewan McGregor's character where he really shines.
    His death scene genuinely made me jump.

Side note: first they got him to play a Tony Blair analogue, then a Gerry Adams one. When are we getting Brosnan as an Ian Paisley expy?
    What's the European NF runtime? I see the one here in the U.S. at 1h53m. I can't find the Chinese cut runtime to compare sadly.
    Yeah, the UK runtime is the same after checking.
    Yeah, the UK runtime is the same after checking.

Thanks for that. I can't imagine the Chinese cut is any more than 5-10 minutes longer, but those minutes certainly count because I think they're all from the action sequences.

As for me, I just rewatched Seraphim Falls last night - it's not perfect but it's beautiful to look at and works quite well for a slow-burn, anti-war western. I wish Brosnan and Neeson got some more dialogue to work with but their physical acting, particularly Pierce's, is excellent.
    This page lists the Chinese cut, as presented on the Blu-Ray, being three minutes shorter than the other cuts.

https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=45127

I gather here in Chile we got to see the non-Chinese cut. I don't recall any difference between my copy of the movie and what I saw in theaters.

As for me, I just rewatched Seraphim Falls last night - it's not perfect but it's beautiful to look at and works quite well for a slow-burn, anti-war western. I wish Brosnan and Neeson got some more dialogue to work with but their physical acting, particularly Pierce's, is excellent.
    Favorite scene: Brosnan removing the projectile from his arm.

Love the allegorical ending, especially the last shot.
    Odd, perhaps they cut a few bits and bobs like the Chinese always do while adding in more action and spectacle.

And yes, I love the bullet removal sequence early on. His physical acting there is outstanding and I love the way he wipes the knife across his pant leg several times before digging the bullet out.
    And yes, I love the bullet removal sequence early on. His physical acting there is outstanding and I love the way he wipes the knife across his pant leg several times before digging the bullet out.

There's a real "awh shit, here we go again" body language to him during that entire sequence which is absolutely marvelous. He hasn't said a word in the film yet, and already he manages to convey that this guy has been through a lot in life.

There's a real "awh shit, here we go again" body language to him during that entire sequence which is absolutely marvelous. He hasn't said a word in the film yet, and already he manages to convey that this guy has been through a lot in life.

100%. His lack of dialogue is a strength here, forcing him to reveal the character through his agony and struggles. His pain reminded me of a very similar scene in Tarantino's Death Proof.