Top Gun - Maverick

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It will likely hit $500M worldwide by Sunday.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Brilliant film. Saw it last night. Took me right back to the 80s. Cruise is superb as is rest of cast. Glad they dialled down the homoerotic beach ball scene though.

I thought they judged all of that so perfectly: it must’ve been tempting to take the mick out of the previous film with that homoerotic stuff, or even just to wink at the audience slightly, but that would have broken the spell and they judged it so right. And yet they also moved it onwards so well: this time Maverick has a relationship but he actually shows an interest in her life; there’s a female fighter pilot but she’s just a pilot who happens to be female- it’s all done so well.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    matt_u wrote: »
    It will likely hit $500M worldwide by Sunday.

Good. It deserves it.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,343
    I think Maverick is VERY well done but I’m sorry… it’s a film that doesn’t stand on its own. It feels like an artificial clone of the first one with an emotional grip that is completely based upon the original one. The first one was more genuine, the bromance, the rivalries, the losses, the love story were cooler, sexier, more convincing.

In the meantime a $900M final seems locked. Let’s see if the US will push it even further to hit a billie. Without China and Russia/Ukraine/Belarus.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I think Maverick is VERY well done but I’m sorry… it’s a film that doesn’t stand on its own. It feels like an artificial clone of the first one with an emotional grip that is completely based upon the original one. The first one was more genuine, the bromance, the rivalries, the losses, the love story were cooler, sexier, more convincing.

In the meantime a $900M final seems locked. Let’s see if the US will push it even further to hit a billie. Without China and Russia/Ukraine/Belarus.

Great! I really hope it does it :).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think Maverick is VERY well done but I’m sorry… it’s a film that doesn’t stand on its own.

Having gone and seen it with someone who hadn't seen the first film, I'd have to disagree. It absolutely stands on its own.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But does the first stand on its own?
    I think Maverick is VERY well done but I’m sorry… it’s a film that doesn’t stand on its own.

Having gone and seen it with someone who hadn't seen the first film, I'd have to disagree. It absolutely stands on its own.

The whole emotional core and narrative of the film is based on the aftermath of Goose’s death and the film is basically a 30 years later remake of the first one filled with tons of nostalgic callbacks. It’s great to adore something but don’t tell me this is a sequel that stands on its own. Fury Road is that kind of sequel. Not this one.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tomorrow, IMAX ! I am so pumped.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 6,682

Do you think that's bad? I'm not sure, myself, speaking only in theory.

Edit: To elaborate and clarify, I have felt some sequels were too narratively connected to the original films, or were too similar in structure, or both. But for me, the success of those sequels hasn't depended solely on those aspects.

The whole emotional core and narrative of the film is based on the aftermath of Goose’s death and the film is basically a 30 years later remake of the first one filled with tons of nostalgic callbacks. It’s great to adore something but don’t tell me this is a sequel that stands on its own. Fury Road is that kind of sequel. Not this one.

And you think it's just completely impossible that Goose's lingering ghost in the sequel could possibly have an emotional resonance with someone who didn't see the original? How about this: don't tell us what to feel about the movie and we won't do the same to you. Cool?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

All of what you said can be true if the film stands on its own. As a sequel, all of the details are communicated well enough that you understand why these people are feeling the way they feel. So yeah, it's absolutely able to stand on its own.

The person I went with loved it and had no problem following anything that was happening and why. That's evidence enough that it stands on its own. It's not exactly Marvel Cinematic Universe levels of complex.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,343

And you think it's just completely impossible that Goose's lingering ghost in the sequel could possibly have an emotional resonance with someone who didn't see the original? How about this: don't tell us what to feel about the movie and we won't do the same to you. Cool?

I’m just saying that this film is extremely reminiscent and derivative of the first one - and I hope everyone agrees on that because it’s basically a fact - and that the foundation of the drama and emotions behind it is 100% directly linked to prior events happened to a secondary character 35 years ago, making it a film that doesn’t completely stand on his own nor feels genuine like the original.

All of what you said can be true if the film stands on its own. As a sequel, all of the details are communicated well enough that you understand why these people are feeling the way they feel. So yeah, it's absolutely able to stand on its own.

The person I went with loved it and had no problem following anything that was happening and why. That's evidence enough that it stands on its own. It's not exactly Marvel Cinematic Universe levels of complex.

I agree that’s completely understandable even without any clue of the first one but that’s not my point, maybe I explained it poorly.

Anyway I enjoyed it a lot, I don’t wanna sound like someone who hated the experience, but if I have to compare it to the original one I found it weaker. Not talking about the action, obviously.
    00Heaven wrote: »

Great! I really hope it does it :).

In the US it’s pretty likely that it will make a slightly bigger second weekend than No Way Home. Yes, in the US it’s that big. ;)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I believe that you can be totally (or at least 90%) emotionally connected even without knowing the first one. I have watched the first one only once and it is 20 years ago. I didn't even remember Goose and thought it was handled very good in the sequel.
    Just saw it now. What a masterpiece! I mean it! Ranks with the absolute best action films I've ever seen. I really dislike Tom Cruise and I am usually quite allergic to cheese fests (like it undeniably is), but when they deliver something incredible like this you just have to stand up and applaud.

10/10 - with zero doubt!
  • Let's hope B26 is as well crafted.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm also far away from a Tom Cruise fan, but this man is perfect here (imo).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2022 Posts: 40,370
    I love seeing all the unanimous praise for this one. It's well deserved. I'm itching to go and see it for a second time if I get the chance.

EDIT: I nearly forgot to mention it but did anyone else get that thank you video greeting from Cruise before the film began? I thought that was a really sweet touch. I love seeing how passionate he is about filmmaking and folks getting to experience this one in theaters.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I nearly forgot to mention it but did anyone else get that thank you video greeting from Cruise before the film began? I thought that was a really sweet touch. I love seeing how passionate he is about filmmaking and folks getting to experience this one in theaters.

I got it at my early bird screening. Didn't get it the Tuesday after in IMAX so I'm guessing I won't get it again.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I nearly forgot to mention it but did anyone else get that thank you video greeting from Cruise before the film began? I thought that was a really sweet touch. I love seeing how passionate he is about filmmaking and folks getting to experience this one in theaters.

I got it at my early bird screening. Didn't get it the Tuesday after in IMAX so I'm guessing I won't get it again.

It must've been an opening weekend thing then. I didn't get to see it until last Saturday but it was attached to mine. Very sweet.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 322
    patb wrote: »
    I'm showing my age but surely, 633 Squadron is the original "inspration" rather than Star Wars?

I was thinking “Dambusters” as I watched it, but, yes, “633 Squadron” is a good shout
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 3,272

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But who cares. It's a brilliant film, sequel or no sequel, and I actually think it is better than the first film (and I don't say that lightly, as the original has been in my all time top 10 ever since 1986.)

Loved Faltermeyer/Zimmer soundtrack (I have this soundtrack now on permanently on my playlist), loved the Tony Scott nods throughout (his style is felt all through the film), I thought Cruise played the role extremely well (reminded me of Rocky coming out of retirement to get back in the ring again).

Overall, thrilled that I have finally seen a decent movie again at the cinema, as this is something that hasn't happened in a long time. I hope one day I can feel that way about a new Bond film again. The last time that happened was way back in 2006.
  • matt_u wrote: »

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But who cares. It's a brilliant film, sequel or no sequel, and I actually think it is better than the first film (and I don't say that lightly, as the original has been in my all time top 10 ever since 1986.)

Loved Faltermeyer/Zimmer soundtrack (I have this soundtrack now on permanently on my playlist), loved the Tony Scott nods throughout (his style is felt all through the film), I thought Cruise played the role extremely well (reminded me of Rocky coming out of retirement to get back in the ring again).

Overall, thrilled that I have finally seen a decent movie again at the cinema, as this is something that hasn't happened in a long time. I hope one day I can feel that way about a new Bond film again. The last time that happened was way back in 2006.

You didn't like Skyfall or NTTD? Surely at least one of them Willy.
    Maverick scored a US bigger second weekend than NWH. Best second weekend drop EVER (-32%) for a film that opened above 100M. Wild!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wonder how Hollywood will react to that. Hopefully it’s not just the easy option (make sequels to really old films) and rather they’ll work out what the special sauce is (make blockbusters which are really good and deliver incredible spectacle).
    Just watched it.

Fan
    Tastic
    Experience
    I'd totally forgotten about it, but I didn't get no Mission Impossible trailer. Only a trailer for Lightyear.

Which means... I guess I should go and watch that M:I trailer now.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'd totally forgotten about it, but I didn't get no Mission Impossible trailer. Only a trailer for Lightyear.

Which means... I guess I should go and watch that M:I trailer now.

Someone mentioned to me that it seemed like getting the trailer attached was a 50/50 chance - some did, some didn't. It was the final trailer that played at my showing before the film began. I was elated.

And yes, you should watch it ASAP.

You didn't like Skyfall or NTTD? Surely at least one of them Willy.

Hated NTTD, but I liked SF. It didn't blow me away like CR did when I first saw it though.