Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Watching Dunkirk at the moment and I feel like there's half of the cast that just might be worth an audition.

True…

In fact I would not be surprised if the next Bond will be one of them. I didn't like the film as much as I expected, but it's one of those productions that make future stars.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Of the bunch, Jack Lowden is a personal favorite wit Harry Styles my dark horse.
    I’m a fan of Lowden, I’d love to see him in the series but I think I’d prefer him as another agent or 00 than Bond himself.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Simon Pegg's little brother? The new Q would be suitable.

image?locale=nl-be&target=circle
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Watching Dunkirk at the moment and I feel like there's half of the cast that just might be worth an audition.

True…

In fact I would not be surprised if the next Bond will be one of them. I didn't like the film as much as I expected, but it's one of those productions that make future stars.

True. Like The Thin Red Line(1998).
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Of the bunch, Jack Lowden is a personal favorite wit Harry Styles my dark horse.

Yes. I'm open to these two guys too.
    Simon Pegg's little brother? The new Q would be suitable.

image?locale=nl-be&target=circle

Hardly…

zWon4kS.jpg

What about Tom Prior?? He would be the first gay James Bond. Very young and very handsome. He did amazing in the movie Firebird.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    fjdinardo wrote: »

What about Tom Prior?? He would be the first gay James Bond. Very young and very handsome. He did amazing in the movie Firebird.

Bond is not a vehicle for "emancipation". Fundamentalists like it to be. The guy above or gay or straight gets a pass from me. Not suitable.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think Lowden is a good actor but he doesn't quite set off my spidey senses as being a guy who has 'it', if you know what I mean. I watched him in Slow Horses and although obviously he's not playing Bond, I thought he gave a fine performance but didn't leap out as the star turn. I have nothing against him though.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Aidan Turner, Theo James and Tom Hughes are still my top 3 picks, they're all very similar but that's what I'd like to see Bond #7 be.

I wasn't aware of much of Theo James's work but since seeing him in The Time Travelers Wife, I could see him getting cast. It's a small detail, but he's got similar eyebrows to Connery. Of course it takes much more than to be Bond, but aesthetically it's something the producers could relate to.

I hope the next version of Bond is more of a mysterious stranger again, I feel like in modern cinema we have to relate to characters rather than wanting to be them.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    Amazon might want a household name to pull fans to their streaming service, but might it be counterproductive if it kills the intrigue of seeing a smaller one put on the big boots?

I don’t like being superficial but I don’t think Theo James is right in terms of looks either.

Aidan would be the obvious/nostalgic choice out of the small screen actors.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,750
    Turner reminds me of Clive Owen. There's nothing unique about him, at least when it comes to Bond. Both actors are generically 'Bondian' looking and have played vaguely suave Englishmen onscreen to the point they are arguably doing Bond impressions. On paper, it makes sense to cast Turner, but it's almost too obvious. Like Henry Cavill. I'm not convinced we'd get anything new or interesting from his interpretation of the character.

@Jordo007 Completely agree about Bond needing to be that 'mysterious stranger' again. While I'm not sold on Theo James or Turner, I've said before that Hughes would be interesting as Bond - perhaps a bit more low key than what we've been used to during the Craig era, but I can see him as a mysterious, perhaps more flawed Bond. It's not immediately obvious when you just see his photograph, but the way he carried himself in The Game was remarkably Bond-esque, his demeanour/mannerisms etc. There aren't many clips of it online unfortunately (although I guess episodes can still be found somewhere) but here's a taste. I think if he put on a Southern English accent and used this as a basis for a Bond audition he could be an option.

@ByRoyalDecree yeah you might be right. It depends how much of a say Amazon have over the casting department. I suppose a safe pair of hands would help the transition

@007HallY thank you for posting the clip, I think he's great in that. I think he would capture the essence of Bond being a spy well. Perhaps he's a bit young, although we've heard are looking to cast younger so who knows
    @Jordo007 Keep in mind that clip is from 2014. I think he was 29 or so there? He's arguably about the right age now, if not slightly older than some of the potential candidates. But yeah, the way he plays that character really struck me as Bond-esque, his demeanour, the way he carries himself etc. What I feel sets him apart from a lot of the actors being mentioned is that I never felt he was trying to do a James Bond 'impression', if that makes sense. Compare that to something like Henry Cavill in The Man From Uncle where I get the sense he's putting in the effort to look suave, like a sort of caricature of a generic secret agent. Same to a lesser extent with Turner in 'And There Were None' - a good performance, but it looks like he's consciously trying to appear like an 'English gentleman' (which is the point of his character to be fair). Hughe's portrayal of Joe in The Game has more of an effortlessness to it that gives me that 'spark' from him, but doesn't detract from his performance as said character.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    007HallY wrote: »
    Turner reminds me of Clive Owen. There's nothing unique about him, at least when it comes to Bond. Both actors are generically 'Bondian' looking and have played vaguely suave Englishmen onscreen to the point they are arguably doing Bond impressions. On paper, it makes sense to cast Turner, but it's almost too obvious. Like Henry Cavill. I'm not convinced we'd get anything new or interesting from his interpretation of the character.

@Jordo007 Completely agree about Bond needing to be that 'mysterious stranger' again. While I'm not sold on Theo James or Turner, I've said before that Hughes would be interesting as Bond - perhaps a bit more low key than what we've been used to during the Craig era, but I can see him as a mysterious, perhaps more flawed Bond. It's not immediately obvious when you just see his photograph, but the way he carried himself in The Game was remarkably Bond-esque, his demeanour/mannerisms etc. There aren't many clips of it online unfortunately (although I guess episodes can still be found somewhere) but here's a taste. I think if he put on a Southern English accent and used this as a basis for a Bond audition he could be an option.

Hm. Yeah, maybe. If he ditches those glasses.
    @007HallY great, hopefully he's aged into the part by now. Knowing EON he's probably too old now
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't know if we can blame EON for people ageing :D
    What’s appealing is such a subjective thing; he’s a fine actor but I see no “ spark” in Hughes.
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't know if we can blame EON for people ageing :D

I don't know mate, I've got a mate who still blames EON for not getting a Bond film out in 2010, because he says "Daniel aged like Connery in 2012"
    For the record I thought Craig looked great in Skyfall minus the short haircut
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    @007HallY great, hopefully he's aged into the part by now. Knowing EON he's probably too old now

You think? Craig was 38 when he was cast, which was younger than Brosnan, Dalton and Moore. Keep in mind too even if they wanted to dig up the concept of a younger Bond for the next one, the actor would probably still be around this age (ie. in their 30s). I think the early drafts of CR with all its odd 'Bond has never worn a tuxedo' moments and near casting of a 23 year old in the role will have shown them that Bond as a 00 agent has to be of a certain age. To be fair Hughes does look very young in that clip and looks a bit older now, so it's not a bad thing.
    What’s appealing is such a subjective thing; he’s a fine actor but I see no “ spark” in Hughes.

True, and even when an actor is cast there's always an element of hindsight. I'm not sure how many people would have seen Layer Cake at the time and have thought that Craig was right for Bond... some perhaps, but not as many as one would believe after his popularity in the role. We now see that there was something in that performance that provided a good foundation for his interpretation as Bond. I personally see something in Hughes purely from his performance in that show... much more than Aidan Turner or Henry 'Action Man figure' Cavill.

But hey, at the end of the day none of us know who the next actor will be. We won't and likely will never see their auditions. Even going from their performances in other things has little consistency from person to person.

You are confusing the actor and the role. A gay actor can play a straight or bisexual role, and vice-versa. Let's face it - gay actors have played straight roles for years and years, whether it was widely known or not.
    8206934247_0b01109e73.jpg
    He even has that cruel mouth Fleming spoke of.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

A Pussy Galore for the 21st century.
    Not sure about that jawline, though.

I always thought the discussion might turn to animals. I just never thought it would be your doing. You broke my heart.

kiss-of-death-god-father.gif
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    Since62 wrote: »

You are confusing the actor and the role. A gay actor can play a straight or bisexual role, and vice-versa. Let's face it - gay actors have played straight roles for years and years, whether it was widely known or not.

Agree, but I must say that Jonathan Bailey was not a very convincing kisser in Bridgerton. Whether it was because of personal method/technique or because of disgust for the opposite sex, it wasn’t compellingly sensual.

Which reminds me. I always thought Brosnan was too aggressive. He gave off an oral rape vibe. Should have let the women lean in a bit.

mattjoes wrote: »

I always thought the discussion might turn to animals. I just never thought it would be your doing. You broke my heart.

kiss-of-death-god-father.gif

I am not going fishing anytime soon.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    I think Cillian Murphy could be very probable.

He has the gravitas, the looks, the big head, the jawline, the experience, the acting chops, yet hasn’t headlined any blockbuster franchise yet.

A bit short and old, and it might be irky not to hear him in brummy or Irish accent and his Bond would be more serious than humorous, but women would bend head over heels for him. They might be pushing back the announcement just because of his schedule.

peaky-blinders-cillian-murphy-height.jpg
    Ex1iWNuWEAY2hVv.jpg:large
    f1cac17ecd1fcd18d4cf0b5c80fafab7.jpg
    a84d494b5977b573e0fd4e203ca35642.jpg