Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm currently watching the TV series Liar with Ioan Gruffudd. Previously, I never saw him as Bond but watching this show, he reminds me of both Dalton and Cavill. He's 48 now, I believe but I think he may have been a decent Bond.

LIAR_EPISODE6_02-a8bf9d1.jpg?quality=90&crop=41px,0px,5657px,3768px&fit=700,466
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm currently watching the TV series Liar with Ioan Gruffudd. Previously, I never saw him as Bond but watching this show, he reminds me of both Dalton and Cavill. He's 48 now, I believe but I think he may have been a decent Bond.

That's another one I never could picture as Bond. He looks mature now, but back in 2005 he look way too youthful. He was also utterly unbelievable as Mr Fantastic.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote: »

That's another one I never could picture as Bond. He looks mature now, but back in 2005 he look way too youthful. He was also utterly unbelievable as Mr Fantastic.

He got the part due to his amazing stretchability.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,742

He got the part due to his amazing stretchability.

Really? Unlikely. Sounds like a bit of a stretch to be honest.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    lol.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Theo James would be a good choice I think.
    I've been watching The Time Travel's Wife with my Mrs and I'm not really a fan of the show, but him and Rose Leslie are good in it.

I don't really know much of his work, but he seems quite charismatic and capable of being a leading man
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Theo James would be a good choice I think.
    I've been watching The Time Travel's Wife with my Mrs and I'm not really a fan of the show, but him and Rose Leslie are good in it.

I don't really know much of his work, but he seems quite charismatic and capable of being a leading man

His name has come up a few times.
    I dunno, Theo James always strikes me as the sort of actor I'd expect to be the villain in a Bond film... not the main villain but more a C or Logan Ash character.

Not sure what it is exactly. He looks a bit too 'Horray Henry'-ish in my eyes perhaps. Might well be because he was in The Inbetweeners movie and gave off that sort of vibe.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I think I've only see him play good-guys.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I got the impression he was playing himself in that Inbetweeners film.
    @Venutius Can't say for sure, but he definitely gives off a very specific 'toff a*sehole' vibe that I think got him cast as that particular character. He plays it well to be fair to him, and he does have a decent range as an actor to be even fairer. But still, it's hard to unsee and from his other performances I'm not sure there's enough there to dispel it for me. I have the same problem with Max Irons and to a lesser extent Sam Clafin, both of whom played these sorts of characters in The Riot Club.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    @Venutius Can't say for sure, but he definitely gives off a very specific 'toff a*sehole' vibe that I think got him cast as that particular character.

That kind of is Bond though! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    @Venutius Can't say for sure, but he definitely gives off a very specific 'toff a*sehole' vibe that I think got him cast as that particular character.

I know what you mean. I always got the sense that Bond of the novels could have been mistaken for either a 'Hooray Henry' type or perhaps an 'upper class ar*sehole' were it not for a sense of darkness about his appearance - the scar, the cruel mouth etc. - that sets him apart. He's certainly snobbish and comes from money but not necessarily 'of that group', if that makes sense.

I'm just not sure if Theo James has that certain 'something' about him that sets him apart to play Bond in that way.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I get what you mean, it might be quite interesting if Bond leant into a bit of an alter ego though, a bit like Bruce Wayne.
    Agreed about Theo James; I'm not quite sold yet but I haven't seen him in a lot so maybe he could. He does seem a bit... cross-eyed to me.
    Yeah I get what you mean, it might be quite interesting if Bond leant into a bit of an alter ego though, a bit like Bruce Wayne.
    Agreed about Theo James; I'm not quite sold yet but I haven't seen him in a lot so maybe he could. He does seem a bit... cross-eyed to me.

It'd be nice to see Bond go undercover at least once in the next few films, perhaps playing that sort of persona. Perhaps act that way with a Bond girl to get information or something.

It's the fact that he was in The Inbetweeners Movie I think... can't get the image of him with a bit of poo on the end of his nose out of my head...
  • QsCatQsCat London

I think Bond is someone who IS of that category but seems out of place. Something which Craig's Bond captured more than any other.

• edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    Pierce Brosnan for Mark Millar’s King of Spies (or is there a clause that prevents him from joining another spy franchise?)

https://screenrant.com/king-spies-millar-netflix-pierce-brosnan-james-bond/amp/

Could also see him coming back for another elderly but more choreographed Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Fan trailer incoming, quite alright this one:

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've seen worse @JeremyBondon ...not bad. And I actually do think Aidan has the potential to be a Bond.
    It's funny that the maker of the video chose CR. As Turner has been compared too Fisher who Bond fights in the PTS of CR.
    qkbt90h7r50f.jpg
    65ldj76c7jv9.jpg

I think it's the hair.
    Fan trailer incoming, quite alright this one:

I counter with another Irishman

https://youtube.com/shorts/l42YAzuqVGI
    QsCat wrote: »

I think Bond is someone who IS of that category but seems out of place. Something which Craig's Bond captured more than any other.

More or less. I guess Craig's Bond was ultimately depicted as a loner who had a tragic life that was beyond his control. He did come from privilege, although this side of his character wasn't explored as much over that tragedy.

I mean, Fleming's Bond is a contradictory character when it comes to this. He attended Eton, and yet was expelled from it. He works for British Intelligence, his job semi-regularly sees him interacting the upper class of British society (Blades in MR etc.) and yet he is, as he calls himself, 'a Scottish peasant' and feels at home being one. He is, at his heart, a snob, and yet gets disgusted at wealth/opulence rather easily (ie. when he's dining with DuPont in GF). The books themselves contain some comical depictions of English intellectuals or 'upper class twits' one could say. Bond is simultaneously from the upper class and yet never quite a member of it.

More or less. I guess Craig's Bond was ultimately depicted as a loner who had a tragic life that was beyond his control. He did come from privilege, although this side of his character wasn't explored as much over that tragedy.

I mean, Fleming's Bond is a contradictory character when it comes to this. He attended Eton, and yet was expelled from it. He works for British Intelligence, his job semi-regularly sees him interacting the upper class of British society (Blades in MR etc.) and yet he is, as he calls himself, 'a Scottish peasant' and feels at home being one. He is, at his heart, a snob, and yet gets disgusted at wealth/opulence rather easily (ie. when he's dining with DuPont in GF). The books themselves contain some comical depictions of English intellectuals or 'upper class twits' one could say. Bond is simultaneously from the upper class and yet never quite a member of it.

I think it's a very subtle equilibrium: Bond is a snob and a pleasure seeker who loves the fine things in life, but he earned it: these are his rewards for the kind of life he's been living and the sacrifice hes ready to make for Queen and Country. Also, he knows he could lose everything in a moment: one bullet, one bomb, one stab could put an end to it. And he's not decadent, if that makes sense.

I think it's a very subtle equilibrium: Bond is a snob and a pleasure seeker who loves the fine things in life, but he earned it: these are his rewards for the kind of life he's been living and the sacrifice hes ready to make for Queen and Country. Also, he knows he could lose everything in a moment: one bullet, one bomb, one stab could put an end to it. And he's not decadent, if that makes sense.

Yes, there's definitely a sense of that. He seems to live rather 'modestly' otherwise (perhaps the specifics haven't aged that well - his flat is in Chelsea, he has a housekeeper and he also seems to dine regularly on grilled sole, haha. But still, he's more 'middle class' than 'upper class').
    Pierce Brosnan for Mark Millar’s King of Spies (or is there a clause that prevents him from joining another spy franchise?)

Brosnan would be perfect for this! I'm in.
    But still, he's more 'middle class' than 'upper class').
    In British terms, I'd've tagged him as upper middle class, tbh! ;)
    Venutius wrote: »
    But still, he's more 'middle class' than 'upper class').
    In British terms, I'd've tagged him as upper middle class, tbh! ;)

Socially, certainly. His father got him into Eton at birth after all. Economically I guess he's implied to be more middle class - not wealthy (although would he not have some kind of inheritance?), living on a comfortable salary and living a modest life.
    Venutius wrote: »

Brosnan would be perfect for this! I'm in.

The character does seem very brutish however, which I am not sure Brosnan could (or necessarily would have to) portray. But the beard is on point.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,895
    That beard rocks, as the kids used to say 28 years ago. Have to say, I don't know anything about the character other than what's in the piece in the link, but it sounds as though it'd play to the side of Brosnan that often wished to go darker and, er, well, I don't want to say 'grittier', obvs, but...! ;)
    Watching Dunkirk at the moment and I feel like there's half of the cast that just might be worth an audition.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Watching Dunkirk at the moment and I feel like there's half of the cast that just might be worth an audition.

True…