'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit I think the Sea Devil looks rubbish! It's great that he looks like the originals and all that, but it doesn't look like an animal at all- there's no skin texture and all the lines look like they'd been drawn by a knife.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2022 Posts: 13,882
    I have wanted the Sea Devils back, but now they're coming back, it's at a time when I have backed away from the show.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent

Here's the first trailer for Legends of the Sea Devils.

I have to say just from the trailer it's probably the most visual interesting of the Chibnall era which is a very low bar, but Haolu Wang is supposedly a rising star so I'm hoping she can fashion something decent out of this but personally I'm not a big pirate fan and I was really so excited for Jodie when she was announced but now we're at the end I'm just apathetic 😔.
    HOLY FRAKKING SHIRTBAGS !!!!! LOOK WHO'S BACK !!!!!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That might just be the best idea(s) Chibnall has had, since deciding to leave. Ace not carrying any of that Nitro9?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    When every episode has something old in it I find it increasingly hard to care. But I guess this is the BBC centenary episode of DW, so there will probably be more old things in it besides this lot.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Doctor Who Legend of the Sea Devils This was painfull, I will never watch that episode again, this era is nearly over thank god. A mess of bad cgii and bad story telling.

I was spoiled re: Returning character though will be good to see them.

• CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    It was a grey blob of content to fill 47 minutes. Thing is, it's the penultimate episode at this point I'm not surprised by the terrible dialogue, the poor editing, the one-note characters, I'm just apathetic. Although the Thasmin stuff actually does hurt because before s11 I had hope that these might be good characters. For this to end with a rehash of toxic plot points from s2 with no introspection is Chibnall's M.O tbf but as a queer woman it's dispiriting that the first proper sapphic Dr/companion relationship is so poorly handed.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's only just occured to me the other lady in the trailer I think was
    Tegan
    That shows how much I am paying attention.
    Say hello to the 14th Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa.

Screenshot-2022-05-08-at-12.46.20.png?w=681&h=383&crop=1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,105

Just heard the news, I have not seen any of his work.

Done a bit of background research, initial thoughts are good, positive person and eccentric. Looks like he has Tennant and Smith's kind of energy. I trust RTD and I am for the first time in years looking forward to DW.
    I'm willing to bet that the first words of the 14th Doctor will be : "And I'm still not ginger !"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,861

Just heard the news, I have not seen any of his work.

Done a bit of background research, initial thoughts are good, positive person and eccentric. Looks like he has Tennant and Smith's kind of energy. I trust RTD and I am for the first time in years looking forward to DW.

Same here, I’ve not seen him but he seems bubbly and energetic and he’s even won Scottish BAFTAs I understand, so the signs seem good. I’m hoping he keeps his bleached blond hair too: he looks cooly alien!
    It’s bizarre how every other Doctor has been Scottish back to the late 80s! :)
    I have no interest sadly in this show anymore. I wish the man luck, be interesting to see if he can stop the decline in the show?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I have no interest sadly in this show anymore. I wish the man luck, be interesting to see if he can stop the decline in the show?

The return of RTD as show runner should change things for the better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I'm really looking forward to his return.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes I'm really looking forward to his return.

The Chibnall era left a bitter taste, I hope they completely ignore The Timeless Children or retcon it going forward.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I suspect they'll ignore it because, as was always the problem with it: it's literally ancient history. It's just backstory and informs nothing about the Doctor because the Doctor has never cared about their past: that's literally why they took the name 'the Doctor'! It also made our cycle of the Doctor less interesting, because it turns out he wasn't being the rebel he thought he was by stealing a TARDIS and going on the run, choosing to save galaxies: it turns out that's what he's always done previously, all because someone told him to. That's not as good, surely?

Chibnall did at least make it into slightly more of a current day story by having Tecteun turn up and meet the Doctor so she got to confront her abuser, but it's weak old sauce and of course, horribly and messily written.

So, I don't think RTD will undo it, purely because backstory isn't worth spending the time on when you could have the Doctor being chased by a monster down a corridor right here, right now. And for the same reason, I don't think he'll mention it either: when he does backstory (think of 'the Time War' in his first few series) he actually makes it count and affect the characters' actions, decisions and feelings in the here and now.

EDIT: I'm editing this now because... you know what? Nowhere is it mentioned that he's the 14th Doctor. He's just being referred to as 'the Doctor'; and that's in the official BBC press release. Maybe RTD is doing something more radical after all- total reboot?

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/ncuti-gatwa-is-the-doctor
    I suspect they'll ignore it because, as was always the problem with it: it's literally ancient history. It's just backstory and informs nothing about the Doctor because the Doctor has never cared about their past: that's literally why they took the name 'the Doctor'! It also made our cycle of the Doctor less interesting, because it turns out he wasn't being the rebel he thought he was by stealing a TARDIS and going on the run, choosing to save galaxies: it turns out that's what he's always done previously, all because someone told him to. That's not as good, surely?

Chibnall did at least make it into slightly more of a current day story by having Tecteun turn up and meet the Doctor so she got to confront her abuser, but it's weak old sauce and of course, horribly and messily written.

So, I don't think RTD will undo it, purely because backstory isn't worth spending the time on when you could have the Doctor being chased by a monster down a corridor right here, right now. And for the same reason, I don't think he'll mention it either: when he does backstory (think of 'the Time War' in his first few series) he actually makes it count and affect the characters' actions, decisions and feelings in the here and now.

EDIT: I'm editing this now because... you know what? Nowhere is it mentioned that he's the 14th Doctor. He's just being referred to as 'the Doctor'; and that's in the official BBC press release. Maybe RTD is doing something more radical after all- total reboot?

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/ncuti-gatwa-is-the-doctor

I heard rumours of a reboot last year.

Story wise nothing really got expanded upon post Flux and Multiverse idea, perhaps they will revisit that in the finale of Jodie's Doctor. The New Doctor could have a different timeline/history to Jodie's.

Just found this...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Great stuff, thank you.

Another alternative is that he's not the 14th Doctor; he's the 15th- and Jodie Whittaker will regenerate into a surprise actor in October! Maybe a big star or something like that- who then regenerates into Gatwa at Christmas :)
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 12,837
    Never heard of him but looks like he suits it, and I’ll definitely be giving it a chance again with Russell T Davies back. He’s been on insanely top form the last few years.
    Another alternative is that he's not the 14th Doctor; he's the 15th- and Jodie Whittaker will regenerate into a surprise actor in October! Maybe a big star or something like that- who then regenerates into Gatwa at Christmas :)

If this means anything (rather than them just not wanting to make the show sound too dense/inaccessible in the marketing) then I reckon this is more likely, I do remember reading rumours about them getting someone famous briefly to get it back in the national consciousness. Didn’t Hugh Grant have to deny it was him? I could picture that happening, he’s worked with Davies before. And announcing this would be a good way of stopping that from coming out. Can’t picture a reboot personally, no point with a show that essentially reboots itself every few years anyway. Like you said above, they can just ignore any baggage they don’t want to use.
    Funny thing : it was foreseen in the 80's :

I can't access the Link, though I recently heard that Tenant is appearing for three specials and that
    Jodie will regenerate into Tenant.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it's possible. Gatwa was not specifically announced as the 14th Doctor, after all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A fun pic:

FS4s2WRXoAYU-t4?format=jpg&name=large
    A fun pic:

FS4s2WRXoAYU-t4?format=jpg&name=large

Hardly aged a day, they have captured his original look.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think that's confirmed but it looks extremely likely: the whole family were hugging and laughing in a scene the other day.