Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Gerard wrote: »
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness : Great, but there was a lot crammed in that movie, and in some instances, it was maybe necessary to have watched some supplements first (like WandaVision or What If...?, which I have not watched because I don't subscribe to Disney +. But good cast, great moments. 8 out of 10.

BTW, about the lady that appears in the mid-credits teaser, I think they should have gotten Emma Watson. But still, I'm happy with the choice.

WandaVision is surprisingly fun TV, if you ever get a chance to watch. They should air on TV Land sometime, it'd fit right in.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    On the big screen...

Monsieur Klein!

That’s amazing! I’m a huge Alain Delon fan.

I saw La piscine once on the big screen, still one of coolest cinema experiences of my life.

US actress Dana Delany (whom I adore) is also a major Delon fan.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,812
    Gerard wrote: »
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness : Great, but there was a lot crammed in that movie, and in some instances, it was maybe necessary to have watched some supplements first (like WandaVision or What If...?, which I have not watched because I don't subscribe to Disney +. But good cast, great moments. 8 out of 10.

I really loved MoM. It was kind of refreshing to watch because it was so different for an MCU movie. It didn’t feel like something that was done before.
    And you don’t really need to watch WandaVision but it does help. I don’t think you need to watch What If…? It has multiverse stuff but I don’t think any of it is directly retaliated to MoM.
    The Night and the City (1950, Directed by Jules Dassin)
    Starring Richard Widmark, Gene Tierney, Googie Withers, Herbert Lom
    Screenplay by Jo Eisinger (based on the novel by Gerald Kersh)
    Music by Franz Waxman
    Cinematography by Max Greene

Mary Bristol: Harry. Harry. You could have been anything. Anything. You had brains... ambition. You worked harder than any 10 men. But the wrong things. Always the wrong things.

Poster-Night-and-the-City-1950_02.jpg

Continuing my years long odyssey through “Noir City”, I found NIGHT AND THE CITY to be one of the bleakest. It is also one of the best.

It also allowed me to continue my recent infatuation with actress Gene Tierney!

Somewhat of an oddity in American noir, NIGHT was filmed on location in London. Telling the tale of ex-pat American, Harry Fabian (played by Widmark), as a luckless con man in pursuit of the yet the latest in a long line of “sure things.” This time assuming control over the wrestling scene in London. At one point, a neighbor of Fabian’s girlfriend (Mary, played by Tierney), describes Harry as “an artist without an art.” Which really sums up his station in life. And since this is Noir, we know that he is doomed to failure.

As with most Noirs, you’ll need a white-board to keep track of all of the shady characters, schemes that fall apart and double crosses. Forged documents, silent partners, a son that wants revenge for his father’s death, are just some of the elements at play in NIGHT AND THE CITY. A film with no “good guys” – except for Mary – it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth regarding human beings.

Note, there are two different edits/soundtracks of this film, a US edit and a UK one. While I’ll only seen the US version, the Criterion DVD/Blu-Ray contains both.

One byproduct of getting into “classic era” film noir (approx. 1945-1955 or so), is that one does become very aware of the impact that the era of “red-menace/blacklisting” had on movie makers. And NIGHT and THE CITY is no exception. Why was this film made in London? Director Dassin was given the job and told to film in London by producer Darryl Zanuck so that he would be out of the country when he was named as a communist. Settling in France and the Greece, Dassin eventually directed the crime film Rififi (1955) – which is certainly on my list of movies to watch in the future.

MV5BMTg5NmQ1NDktMGUwOS00MDYwLWJhM2ItZDcwN2JmNTk1NjZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg
    You Have to Love the Smile of a Con Man!

12280_5.jpg
    What can Possibly go wrong?!

night-and-the-city003.jpg
    Poor Mary, loyal and loving to the bitter end.

NOTE: NIGHT was remade in 1992 with Robert De Niro and Jessica Lange. I have not seen it yet.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 6,682
    On the big screen...

Monsieur Klein!

I remember!

I saw La piscine once on the big screen, still one of coolest cinema experiences of my life.
    I want to watch La piscine. I saw a trailer a few months ago and it looked quite interesting.

I saw Mr. Klein as part of a Joseph Losey retrospective. They're also showing Figures in a Landscape, which I've already seen. The Assassination of Trotsky, another one with Delon, is being shown next week, I think. But the one I really want to watch is The Servant. I hope to be able to make time for it.

Dwayne wrote: »
    On the big screen...

Monsieur Klein!

US actress Dana Delany (whom I adore) is also a major Delon fan.
    I've only seen her --or rather, heard her-- in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I do recall wanting to watch Tombstone and Donato and Daughter but not much else. Anything you recommend?

Don't say Exit to Eden. :)) Actually, I think I saw a bit of that on TV about a decade ago and it appeared to be two completely different films pasted together.

Light Sleeper seems pretty interesting.
    Should I catch Mr. Klein at Film Forum? I'll need to it seems if there are more showings.

Just got out of Multiverse of Madness. Enjoyed it as much as I expected, plenty of Raimi stuff, stuff that definitely made some kids uncomfortable. I remember the first Dr. Strange movie really surprised me with the finale in the dark dimension, and how Strange cleverly tricked his way to victory. This movie delivered on a similar level, with Strange employing multiple clever tricks to ultimately save the day, in a twisted way. I honestly don't like any of the character choices, they don't track with recent other MCU entries, which makes it disjointed if you're following the tv stuff. But as a movie on its own, I enjoyed it.
    "Castaway" interesting film, well directed and acted but, IMHO, they struggled with how to end it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Should I catch Mr. Klein at Film Forum? I'll need to it seems if there are more showings.

Just got out of Multiverse of Madness. Enjoyed it as much as I expected, plenty of Raimi stuff, stuff that definitely made some kids uncomfortable. I remember the first Dr. Strange movie really surprised me with the finale in the dark dimension, and how Strange cleverly tricked his way to victory. This movie delivered on a similar level, with Strange employing multiple clever tricks to ultimately save the day, in a twisted way. I honestly don't like any of the character choices, they don't track with recent other MCU entries, which makes it disjointed if you're following the tv stuff. But as a movie on its own, I enjoyed it.

I nearly watched Mr. Klein for the first time a couple of weeks back. I've heard great things about it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Halloween Kills good start and I liked the call backs to the original, the film does meander a bit for long periods I forgot Jamie Lee Curtis was in this. Ultimately this is just another example of lack of ideas in Hollywood and the endless sequels are becoming tiresome. Good film score though, this did feel like a movie out of time in a good way, shame it does not offer anything new.

Whenever a character says they are going to kill Michael Myers I find it funny, it's a ridiculous statement at this point.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Many Saints of Newark (A. Taylor, 2021)
    the-many-saints-of-newark-832732l.jpg
    Some interesting casting choices here, and I didn t realize until after that Paulie was played by Billy Magnussen. Excellent prequel to The Sopranos that takes place in the 60s and 70s, a time period that looks good on this universe.

It's an interesting film. I found it appealed first to my intellect, then to my emotions. Same with the other Losey-directed film I've seen, Figures in a Landscape. If an analogy works, watching these films is not like eating sweet, milky chocolate, but some kind of bitter, strong-flavored food in which the enjoyment comes from a certain abrasiveness.

I like the story of the film. I like movies that take a premise that seems kind of ridiculous and make you buy it. This film succeeds at it. There is a crucial scene on a train that I found puzzling and fascinating. And Delon is of course a very watchable actor, just the actor needed for a film like this. (As usual for his movies, he also produced the film.)

Very elegant-looking movie as well. There is a stage play scene halfway through that is quite mesmerizing. I also recall a delightful shot in which Delon is talking with a woman, the former in the foreground, the latter in the background, and the way the scene unfolds --the way information is dispensed and the purpose of the scene is revealed-- is very cool. A long take. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of the film The Verdict, another one I found had a precision and economy in its visual style.

And there's something so pleasant about the rain-soaked stone streets of Paris.

Reading about the film, I see it's associated with Franz Kafka. It does remind me of The Metamorphosis.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 13,882
    Dan Curtis' Dracula
    6aaf2090-bf2a-57a2-a107-00a2090f5005.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&resize=650,366
    What this tv movie might have lacked in not have a theatrical movie budget, it more than makes up for with the tragic and bestial performance of Jack Palance in the title role. And unlike Gary Oldman, Palance actually looks like someone that has fought battles. Sitting comfortably in my top 3 Dracula films, along with the 1931 film with Bela Lugosi, and the 1979 remake of Nosfertu with Klaus Kinski as Dracula.

Also, Nigel Davenport's pronunciation of 'Mina' makes me doubt whether I say it correct or not. It's Meena not Minner (rhyming with Dinner), right?
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,600
    @LuckNFate, unfortunately MR. KLEIN was only screened at The Film Forum (in New York City) in March of this year.

As for Ms. Delaney, @mattjoes, I know her mostly from the TV series CHINA BEACH and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. She has also co-hosted film introductions/discussions several times on the TCM (Turner Classic Movies), and recently wrote a long “Actor to Actor” piece in the NOIR CITY Magazine (#32) on Gloria Grahame. Clearly a Delon fan, she introduced ONCE A THIEF (1965/dir. Ralph Nelson, w/Alain Delon, Ann-Margret and Van Heflin), along with Grahame's MAN ON A TIGHTROPE (1953, Gert Fröbe has a small role BTW), and HUMAN DESIRE (1954) along with Eddie Muller, several months ago.

A recent posting from her: 😊

It's an interesting film. I found it appealed first to my intellect, then to my emotions. Same with the other Losey-directed film I've seen, Figures in a Landscape. If an analogy works, watching these films is not like eating sweet, milky chocolate, but some kind of bitter, strong-flavored food in which the enjoyment comes from a certain abrasiveness.

I like the story of the film. I like movies that take a premise that seems kind of ridiculous and make you buy it. This film succeeds at it. There is a crucial scene on a train that I found puzzling and fascinating. And Delon is of course a very watchable actor, just the actor needed for a film like this. (As usual for his movies, he also produced the film.)

Very elegant-looking movie as well. There is a stage play scene halfway through that is quite mesmerizing. I also recall a delightful shot in which Delon is talking with a woman, the former in the foreground, the latter in the background, and the way the scene unfolds --the way information is dispensed and the purpose of the scene is revealed-- is very cool. A long take. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of the film The Verdict, another one I found had a precision and economy in its visual style.

And there's something so pleasant about the rain-soaked stone streets of Paris.

Reading about the film, I see it's associated with Franz Kafka. It does remind me of The Metamorphosis.

I am a very patient filmgoer, especially when I catch something older on the big screen. I'll keep my eye out, NYC has lots of theaters and the retro type places seem to hold a film for quite awhile.
    I am a very patient filmgoer, especially when I catch something older on the big screen. I'll keep my eye out, NYC has lots of theaters and the retro type places seem to hold a film for quite awhile.

Sometimes they do....sometimes they don't. Often "specialty" screenings are for one or two days only, and frequency for just certain times. For example, I saw CITIZEN KANE (in 35 mm) last night at the City Cinema on 12th street in NYC, and it was for one evening only. Luckily, since the 7pm screening was a sell-out, they added 4pm and 9:30 showings - both of which were near sell-outs. Seeing KANE on the large screen was a wonderful experience BTW!!!!

Older films are often screened as part of a larger retrospective, so if you have a particular film that you want to see, it pays to plan ahead.

Sometimes they do....sometimes they don't. Often "specialty" screenings are for one or two days only, and frequency for just certain times. For example, I saw CITIZEN KANE (in 35 mm) last night at the City Cinema on 12th street in NYC, and it was for one evening only. Luckily, since the 7pm screening was a sell-out, they added 4pm and 9:30 showings - both of which were near sell-outs. Seeing KANE on the large screen was a wonderful experience BTW!!!!

Older films are often screened as part of a larger retrospective, so if you have a particular film that you want to see, it pays to plan ahead.

I think I may have been to that cinema if it existed in the 90s. I went to several on the south side of Manhattan when I visited.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,887
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)

Victor Hugo might have applauded this film's production values, including Universal's Notre Dame set and Lon Chaney's make-up, but he would have been horrified at Frollo no longer being the villain--he's now a "saintly" cleric. Instead the villain's role has been split between Frollo's brother Jehan and the beggar king Clopin.

This doesn't work, because Victor Hugo's story is a love triangle between three freaks, one of whom happens to be among the greatest villains in literature--a brilliant priest turned demonic by lust and tormented by love.

But the movie makes a decision, not surprising for the time and mass audience--to go very soft on religion and avoid Hugo's anticlericalism. It's hard on "the King's justice" and mocks the king himself but the church, far from being a dominating, oppressively powerful institution that even the crown didn't dare contradict, is presented as just wonderful. Not one heretic burned at the stake!

The movie's view of class relations is also 1920s Hollywood--Clopin is turned into a proto-revolutionary with a grudge against aristocrats, but his mob proves so repugnant that the cops (King's Guard) have to put them down.

In summary, a handsomely made but shallow adaptation of a classic. Even Lon Chaney's Quasimodo is mostly on the surface, fitting too neatly into his gallery of misunderstood monsters. I regret to say that his acting is occasionally overstated as well.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,420

Is City Cinema the same thing as Village East on 12th, or are they just next to each other? I remember seeing Mr Klein listed as playing at Film Forum, I just didn't go see it. I usually check Film Forum, Metrograph, IFC Center, and Roxy Tribeca showtimes every weekend, just don't often go.
    It gets a bit confusing (sorry about that @LucknFate ).

The “City Cinema” is really called the: Village East by Angelika, and is on 12th street and 2nd avenue.
    https://www.angelikafilmcenter.com/villageeast

There is also a theater called the “Cinema Village” at 22 East 12th street (around 5th avenue). I haven’t been there in ages, but I do have strong memories of seeing YELLOW SUBMARINE, LET IT BE and THE CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH there in the early 1970s.
    https://www.cinemavillage.com/

Like you, I have the Metrograph, the IFC Center, the Alamo Drafthouse and the Film Forum bookmarked, and check their listings every week (*). I would also add the Museum of the Moving Image to your list. While not a theater per-say, they do screen quite a few films – usually in concert with related exhibitions in the museum. For example, starting this weekend (May 13th) they are having a month-long retrospective on the work of cinematographer James Wong Howe (HUD, THE THIN MAN, PURSUED, THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, etc.).
    https://movingimage.us/

(*) When I’m not munching on popcorn as I watch Turner Classic Movies (BREATHLESS, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, DO THE RIGHT THING and THE THIRD MAN – just this week!)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    25ca5f16f2a3b1f68f0252aaa81c422f.jpg
    Doctor Strange IMAX Enhanced, I thoroughly enjoyed this rewatch, one of the better MCU films. The IMAX scenes are very impressive.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,420
    It gets a bit confusing (sorry about that @LucknFate ).

The “City Cinema” is really called the: Village East by Angelika, and is on 12th street and 2nd avenue.
    https://www.angelikafilmcenter.com/villageeast

There is also a theater called the “Cinema Village” at 22 East 12th street (around 5th avenue). I haven’t been there in ages, but I do have strong memories of seeing YELLOW SUBMARINE, LET IT BE and THE CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH there in the early 1970s.
    https://www.cinemavillage.com/

Like you, I have the Metrograph, the IFC Center, the Alamo Drafthouse and the Film Forum bookmarked, and check their listings every week (*). I would also add the Museum of the Moving Image to your list. While not a theater per-say, they do screen quite a few films – usually in concert with related exhibitions in the museum. For example, starting this weekend (May 13th) they are having a month-long retrospective on the work of cinematographer James Wong Howe (HUD, THE THIN MAN, PURSUED, THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, etc.).
    https://movingimage.us/

(*) When I’m not munching on popcorn as I watch Turner Classic Movies (BREATHLESS, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, DO THE RIGHT THING and THE THIRD MAN – just this week!)

I spent a weekend a few years ago watching all the M:I movies at the Museum of the Moving Image. Will give you a shout next time I plan to see something!
    As for Ms. Delaney, @mattjoes, I know her mostly from the TV series CHINA BEACH and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. She has also co-hosted film introductions/discussions several times on the TCM (Turner Classic Movies), and recently wrote a long “Actor to Actor” piece in the NOIR CITY Magazine (#32) on Gloria Grahame. Clearly a Delon fan, she introduced ONCE A THIEF (1965/dir. Ralph Nelson, w/Alain Delon, Ann-Margret and Van Heflin), along with Grahame's MAN ON A TIGHTROPE (1953, Gert Fröbe has a small role BTW), and HUMAN DESIRE (1954) along with Eddie Muller, several months ago.

A recent posting from her: 😊

I know China Beach, though I haven't seen it.

Nice photo.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I rewatched Avatar yesterday, the first time I'd seen it since I saw it in 3D in theaters, and I'm surprised by how well it holds up. Very predictable and full of tropes, sure, but it's quite entertaining for what it is (and, of course, incredibly visionary and beautiful to look at).
    R.5f850ec0f597cd466bf515eff1b22dde?rik=EWrbahe7%2b3bobQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2f4.bp.blogspot.com%2f_1PMQZUzCsjM%2fS_xelmUf_lI%2fAAAAAAAAAQo%2fk-ibW-_SYDE%2fs1600%2fEl%2bDr.%2bMabuse.jpg&ehk=7uXfbTM7Th2fP6z%2bnUFN14i7WDWO3lNSmrdgIDT7Mbw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    (1922)

This is very long. I think it originally came out in two parts. The first half is pretty boring, but the second half is great. Must have been something special when it first came out.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,898
    Nigel Davenport's pronunciation of 'Mina' makes me doubt whether I say it correct or not. It's Meena not Minner (rhyming with Dinner), right?

Right. It's short for Wilhelmina - which, just to be awkward, is pronounced 'Willermeena'! Er, so I've heard...
    @mattjoes. CHINA BEACH was a kind of MASH type TV program – except it was set during the Vietnam War (instead of Korea). Ms. Delany, played the main character, Nurse Colleen McMurphy.

FYI, Alain Delon fans may want to bookmark this twitter page:
    https://twitter.com/DelonSociety
    An international star in the 60s and 70s, I’m always a bit surprised that he never became a bigger hit in the US.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I rewatched Avatar yesterday, the first time I'd seen it since I saw it in 3D in theaters, and I'm surprised by how well it holds up. Very predictable and full of tropes, sure, but it's quite entertaining for what it is (and, of course, incredibly visionary and beautiful to look at).

I noticed it was on Disney + I am still dissapointed there is not a 4K version. I have the Bluray I will watch it again before part 2.
    ALIENS (1986)
    I vividly recall the excitement when it was announced that hot new Director, James Cameron, coming off the back of the smash hit 'The Terminator' was handling the sequel to Ridley Scotts classic! I also remember reading critic Alan Jones in 'Starburst' magazine, raving about it! My first showing, the audience were totally enthralled, particularly for the finale! Watching it today, it holds up pretty well, great creature effects from Stan Winstons team, the action is excellent, and Sigourney Weaver is marvellous as Ripley, considering her hatred of guns, she seemed very natural wielding them!
    Cameron looked like he could do no wrong after this....and then 'The Abyss' happened!! He got his mojo back for the superb 'Terminator 2!' , but for me, has done nothing of interest since!
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    The Great Mouse Detective (1986).

What a underrated gem of a Disney adventure this is. It’s short and enjoyable for all ages. The thing that I admire most about it is that parodies Sherlock Holmes, without ever ripping on it. That’s rare both in and of a parody comedy. Vincent Price once said that he thought Professor Ratigan as one of his favorite roles, and you can tell he had fun with it. It’s a shame that it isn’t talked about more with good or memorable Disney Animation films. If you haven’t watched it recently, I highly recommend it. A childhood favorite for me.
    The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976 Version)
    KILLING_OF_A_CHINESE_BOOKIE-1024x823.jpg

Always my preferred cut of this film, but I haven't seen either version in quite a few years. I probably had this at about an 8/10 where I'd have had the 1978 recut at about a 7 or 7.5, but I really hit it off with what Cassavetes was doing here this time, so the gap between the two versions, barring some kind of similar skyrocketing appraisal for the alternate cut, is now quite massive. Gazzara was never better.

9.5/10