Cary Joji Fukunaga - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I guess this confirms we'll have a new director for B26, then.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2022 Posts: 4,548
    TripAces wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    "As far as girls, his type is 'looks underage.' I don't know much about the things he's done to women but I'm sure they are horrible. The way he treats all people (other than celebrities) is horrible. I once saw him dump his cut fingernails in another person's car."

Is it bad that I laughed a bit after reading that sentence? Just comes out of nowhere.

But that aside, ok, he's most likely a scumbag and in all likelihood won't be doing Bond 26.

@GadgetMan Why would this have anything to do with how much someone likes NTTD?

Someone had a bone to pick, didn't he? I mean, seriously? This is the rant of a whiny little brat, who waited until there was some chink in Fukunaga's armor, to lay this crap out there. No b@llz. If he had a problem then, he should have spoken out. THEN.

I am not trying to defend Fukunaga. At the same time, if one looks at the accusations being brought against him, by all parties, there's not much more than "He was to mean to me."

The point is he’s a bully and people are sick of them.

I am sure there are at least a hundred people out there who would say the same about me.

Well, we’d have to hear from them.

The point is, none of us are perfect, shiny people.

Let's look at the accusations:

1. Actress who was romantically involved with CJF now says he was a "groomer" (which seems to be the new go-to buzzword for accusing someone of being bad without giving specifics about what makes them bad); fact is, the two were a couple for a time and she wasn't so bothered by him that she kept their relationship a secret. Was he a way bit too old for her? It would seem so, but that's not our business.
    2. Two women accuse him of making advances, as though men have never, ever, ever done that before. Neither woman is accusing him of assault (let's keep that in mind.) It's a bit smarmy that he suggested a threesome in the girls' home in Pennsylvania. Now...lost in all of this is how/why he was at THEIR house and in THEIR hot tub. They accuse him of inviting himself there. I'm sorry, but people don't just end up in your family's house and in your hot tub by accident. Now, after the fact, they're accusing him if being "weird" and into "threesomes." Maybe. But where's the crime here?
    3. Now we have a former writer, accusing him of being an awful person for using his work without proper credit. (We don't have the other side, yet.) OMG: he cut his nails in someone's car! Oh, the outrage!

Again, I am not trying to defend CJF. For all we know, this is just the tip of the iceberg: there could be a lot more to come. But I also know, from experience, how a person's life can be turned upside down and ruined over ridiculous accusations. It's happened to two friends of mine over the years.

I am not opposed to women's stories and the MeToo movement. So don't get me wrong on that. At the same time, I can't help but think about what happened to actor/comedian Aziz Ansari -- and if you don't know the story, read up on it. Just horrible.

In CJF's case...there are NO CRIMES HERE!!!!!! (....YET)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Where's the crime? It'd be clear cut if it'd happened in the UK. He (allegedly) encouraged two sisters to commit incest. Incest is a crime - and encouraging someone to commit a crime is a crime itself. So there's the crime. Don't know what the laws are in the jurisdiction this (allegedly) happened in, though.
    Plot twist: it happened in Alabama. Where not only is it not a crime. It’s encouraged. 😎😎
    mtm wrote: »
    "As far as girls, his type is 'looks underage.' I don't know much about the things he's done to women but I'm sure they are horrible. The way he treats all people (other than celebrities) is horrible. I once saw him dump his cut fingernails in another person's car."

Is it bad that I laughed a bit after reading that sentence? Just comes out of nowhere.

But that aside, ok, he's most likely a scumbag and in all likelihood won't be doing Bond 26.

Someone had a bone to pick, didn't he? I mean, seriously? This is the rant of a whiny little brat, who waited until there was some chink in Fukunaga's armor, to lay this crap out there. No b@llz. If he had a problem then, he should have spoken out. THEN.

I am not trying to defend Fukunaga. At the same time, if one looks at the accusations being brought against him, by all parties, there's not much more than "He was to mean to me."

I am sure there are at least a hundred people out there who would say the same about me.

That’s… not great.

Well, I have been in education for 33 years. I am sure there are at least 100 students, over all those years, who disliked me, who'd call me that. LOL
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Venutius wrote: »
    Where's the crime? It'd be clear cut if it'd happened in the UK. He (allegedly) encouraged two sisters to commit incest. Incest is a crime - and encouraging someone to commit a crime is a crime itself. So there's the crime. Don't know what the laws are in the jurisdiction this (allegedly) happened in, though.

It’s not about committing crime, it’s just about being a bully. It’s been becoming less tolerated among younger people over the years. Holding people accountable for their bullying rather than simply letting it go by just because they’re hot shot filmmakers. Joss Whedon was exposed for being a bully to his staff and cast members and has pretty much been shunned by the industry when people came out.

IMO, if you can’t be a filmmaker without being a dick, you should just get into a business that requires far less human interaction.

It’s not about committing crime, it’s just about being a bully. It’s been becoming less tolerated among younger people over the years. Holding people accountable for their bullying rather than simply letting it go by just because they’re hot shot filmmakers. Joss Whedon was exposed for being a bully to his staff and cast members and has pretty much been shunned by the industry when people came out.

IMO, if you can’t be a filmmaker without being a dick, you should just get into a business that requires far less human interaction.

I think that's great. Behavior of the sort you're alluding to should NOT be tolerated. However, I prefer that such issues be raised in the proper context, in the proper arena, and with the proper people, where all parties can be heard and the matter can be handled...among adults. It should NOT be handled years after the fact on social media, when the accused has no ability to defend himself/herself.

I'm sure this is just the beginning for CJF. But if not, we are seeing a man's career and reputation smeared over...this?

I wonder @MakeshiftPython about your thoughts on Christian Bale's tirade, caught on film, on set. Seems his "bad behavior" and "bullying" weren't just tolerated, but ultimately forgiven.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

That’s… not great.

Well, I have been in education for 33 years. I am sure there are at least 100 students, over all those years, who disliked me, who'd call me that. LOL

Not really sure what to say. Well done..?

That’s… not great.

Not really sure what to say. Well done..?

Deadlines are deadlines, sometimes. I'm a bully for enforcing them. ;)
    I probably wouldn’t want to have lunch with Christian Bale.

Everyone should check out the behind the scenes stories of THE ABYSS. Yikes!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Christian Bale, great actor. Not sure I'd ever want to have a pint with him. He might have a pop at the bartender.
    It’s not about committing crime, it’s just about being a bully

Although TripAces did ask if there was any actual crime involved...and seeing as incitement to commit crime is a crime in itself, Fukunaga wasn't just being a dick - his (alleged) behaviour was actually criminal. Or would've been if he'd done it in the UK. Alabama? Who knows.
  • NoWisemanNoWiseman Germany
    peter wrote: »
    As far as the the unfortunate scriptwriter; this is also Hollywood on any given day. I myself had been threatened and bullied by a producer who actually said to me, "I'll make sure you never work in this town again." Yes, the most cliche threat was pitched at me. And, although it was largely an empty threat, he did destroy my relationship I had with his producing partner and the several projects we were working on came to an abrupt halt. I was given my last pay and was cut off.

Not only in Hollywood. My writing partner an i just had the same experience over here in Germany. A director came in, dragged us out of our own project and destroyed a very long partnership we had with the production company.

Same pattern as writer Nick Cuse described it. As soon as our work got praised by others, this director did everything to badmouth it. Disgusting.

Although TripAces did ask if there was any actual crime involved...and seeing as incitement to commit crime is a crime in itself, Fukunaga wasn't just being a dick - his (alleged) behaviour was actually criminal. Or would've been if he'd done it in the UK. Alabama? Who knows.

As far as I know: not a crime. On the statutes, incest involves "sexual intercourse" between blood relatives, which obviously would not be the case. Furthermore, I don't think laws here regulate what sisters are allowed to do/not do when hooking up with one man. And there is really know way to know or prove that the suggested threesome was anything more than the two women meeting his needs and vice-versa. There is no requirement that the two women pleasure each other.
    Whatever the case we’re probably better off playing safe by EON hiring Campbell.
    Whatever the case we’re probably better off playing safe by EON hiring Campbell.

Nah. Denis Villeneuve.

That said, what's kind of interesting about this whole "affair," is that neither Variety nor The Hollywood Reporter has published anything on it. At least not yet.
    He’s doing DUNE 2 so it’ll be awhile before he can have time for Bond.
    I hear you @MajorDSmythe , and that is all true.

However, the behaviour that's been revealed sounds more like grounded, every day Hollywood. As I pointed out to a couple of our members today-- if this is true-- Cary didn't exactly "Weinstein" these women, but, like many a famous person before him, he used his stature to influence and take what he wants. It's very believable and not outlandish.

As far as the the unfortunate scriptwriter; this is also Hollywood on any given day. I myself had been threatened and bullied by a producer who actually said to me, "I'll make sure you never work in this town again." Yes, the most cliche threat was pitched at me. And, although it was largely an empty threat, he did destroy my relationship I had with his producing partner and the several projects we were working on came to an abrupt halt. I was given my last pay and was cut off.

Bullying and sexual advances of the kind depicted sounds like same old same old.

I was just hoping Cary was above this, but, unchecked and absolute power (over the little people), and many a human can become a monster... Cary wasn't the first (if true), and he won't be the last, unfortunately...

A day late to the discussion, but I'm also very sorry to hear your experience of this, @peter. But kudos to you for moving past it and being able to share the story -- that, I personally believe, is the real show of strength and the key to defeating it.

Unfortunately, as you've expertly outlined, it's all too common for the industry. (And our world in general right now, it seems).

AgentM72 wrote: »

However, the behaviour that's been revealed sounds more like grounded, every day Hollywood. As I pointed out to a couple of our members today-- if this is true-- Cary didn't exactly "Weinstein" these women, but, like many a famous person before him, he used his stature to influence and take what he wants. It's very believable and not outlandish.

Bullying and sexual advances of the kind depicted sounds like same old same old.

I was just hoping Cary was above this, but, unchecked and absolute power (over the little people), and many a human can become a monster... Cary wasn't the first (if true), and he won't be the last, unfortunately...

A day late to the discussion, but I'm also very sorry to hear your experience of this, @peter. But kudos to you for moving past it and being able to share the story -- that, I personally believe, is the real show of strength and the key to defeating it.

Unfortunately, as you've expertly outlined, it's all too common for the industry. (And our world in general right now, it seems).

In the documentary, Steve McQueen: The Man and LeMans, screenwriter Alan Trustman describes this behavior quite clearly. McQueen ruined Trustman's career. Up to LeMans, Trustman was a top screenwriter in Hollywood. During the pre-production work on LeMans, the two had a falling out and Trustman barely worked again.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    AgentM72 wrote: »

@AgentM72 … thank you… It was quite nerve racking when it went down…. And you’re right about our present world. Too many divisions, too much conflict, too many bad agents….

But there are also good people on these boards and in our personal lives! Makes you love them even more…!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Wrong thread I know… but…
    Bond 26 - Campbell
    Bond 27 - Villeneuve

Was hoping for another Cary, but he’s 100% out.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    He’s doing DUNE 2 so it’ll be awhile before he can have time for Bond.

Maybe Barbara has no time for Bond.

Replacing Craig is gonna be tough.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Absolutely. It should even be a no-brainer for EON right now, coupled with the fact that Campbell himself has long stated his interest in launching his 3rd Bond.
    Campbell's 79 this year, though. If they don't even have a script yet then, realistically, he could be over 80 before they start shooting. Seems a big ask, tbf.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Was well-known industry knowledge prior to Bond he was "difficult" - these accusations come as no real surprise to me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

As far as I know: not a crime. On the statutes, incest involves "sexual intercourse" between blood relatives, which obviously would not be the case. Furthermore, I don't think laws here regulate what sisters are allowed to do/not do when hooking up with one man. And there is really know way to know or prove that the suggested threesome was anything more than the two women meeting his needs and vice-versa. There is no requirement that the two women pleasure each other.

Why would anyone care?

Why would anyone care?

They wouldn't...unless CJF is being accused of a crime.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Absolutely. It should even be a no-brainer for EON right now, coupled with the fact that Campbell himself has long stated his interest in launching his 3rd Bond.

If Campbell wants to direct Bond 26 I be so down for that. The guy is not even 80 yet.
    Campbell's 79 this year, though. If they don't even have a script yet then, realistically, he could be over 80 before they start shooting. Seems a big ask, tbf.

Clint Eastwood is 92 and is still directing
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Clint Eastwood is 92 and is still directing

And trying new ideas and genres. Unlike another 80+ year old director who has been making the same things for the past 40 years, Woody Allen.