Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

It’s more than the Snyder Cut will ever get.

Old films getting a FULL rerelease isn’t a thing studios do anymore, ever since home video became more prevalent and advanced over the decades.

I got to see The Snyder cut last year at a special cinema screening here in Ireland and recently got to see the The Godfather during it’s fiftieth anniversary rerelease.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Picard Season 2 ep 6 a bit of a mess the writing is allover the place and they just keep introducing too many sub plots.

Looking forward to Season 3 though and praying 🙏 it's a great send off.

I think it’s still good fun, I’m enjoying it every week. I do think it’s striking just how much more characterful and likeable the main team of this are than the bunch of nameless drips in Discovery.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    Picard Season 2 ep 6 a bit of a mess the writing is allover the place and they just keep introducing too many sub plots.

Looking forward to Season 3 though and praying 🙏 it's a great send off.

I think it’s still good fun, I’m enjoying it every week. I do think it’s striking just how much more characterful and likeable the main team of this are than the bunch of nameless drips in Discovery.

I am enjoying Picard despite the writing and totally agree the cast are streets ahead of Discovery.

I still have not watched Season 4 of Discovery the only way I can currently watch it if I pay £19.99 on Prime which I am reluctant to do in case its really bad. I probably will buy it when I have finished my current TV watch list.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Old films getting a FULL rerelease isn’t a thing studios do anymore, ever since home video became more prevalent and advanced over the decades.

I got to see The Snyder cut last year at a special cinema screening here in Ireland and recently got to see the The Godfather during it’s fiftieth anniversary rerelease.

I thought you were only talking of a full theatrical rerelease?

I thought you were only talking of a full theatrical rerelease?

I was.But there are no screenings of ANY kind for TMP in my country ( as far as I know ) which is a damn shame.There was a limited window where I could see Godfather and ZSJL in cinemas and I’m glad i managed it.

edited April 2022 Posts: 7,999
    We had THE GODFATHER limited screenings here too at cinemas that had a Dolby Theater.

Looking it up, in the US there was only charity screenings in LA and NY for ZSJL.

But to my earlier point, at least in the US, Fathom Event screenings have become the standard way of screening classic films for their anniversaries. Usually hosted by Turner Classic Movies. It’s because of that I was able to see movies like GONE WITH THE WIND, REAR WINDOW, PSYCHO, THE BIRDS, TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD. I even got to see my very first viewings of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DOUBLE INDEMNITY thanks to Fathom.

They did screen THE MOTION PICTURE for its 40th anniversary but I skipped on that because I was pretty sure it wasn’t the new 4K remaster that wouldn’t come until 2021. With the Director’s Edition, I’m making that a priority. On a similar note, there’s a 40th anniversary screening for WRATH OF KHAN later this year. Last year I was able to see the new 4K remaster of THE VOYAGE HOME for the first time because of Fathom.

Outside of Fathom Events, it depends on independent theaters being or certain chains to be able to screen certain classics.

I’m not a Star Trek fan but I do like redlettermedia. Their review is that it’s basically dystopian nightmarish stuff, about as far from the optimistic future that Star Trek used to represent as you can get. How do you fans feel about it?

I gave up on Picard series one. Just thought it was a confusing mess
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The second series is better; much more straightforward Trek fun, and you don't seem to have had to have seen the first series (so far anyway).
    Why does 2024 Guinan not recognise Picard? Didn’t they meet a century earlier in a two part TNG episode called Times Arrow?

2024 Guinan doesn’t remember Picard because she’s in an alternate timeline where Picard never goes back to 1893 since the future is radically different.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I absolutely love TMP. It's a quiet ST film, but it's got a bit of a 2001 vibe and I like that. Probably my favourite one.

Even more than the one with the whales-? ;)

That's the guilty pleasure one. ;-)
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 1,394
    Why does 2024 Guinan not recognise Picard? Didn’t they meet a century earlier in a two part TNG episode called Times Arrow?

2024 Guinan doesn’t remember Picard because she’s in an alternate timeline where Picard never goes back to 1893 since the future is radically different.

Only seen up to episode 4 but doesn’t the event that causes the alternate future occur in 2024? That’s why they have gone back to this time to time in the first place,to fix what happens around this time.The time previous to 2024 should be pretty much unaltered.

Also,the fact that they are in 2024 means there should be at least SOME mention of the Eugenics wars that occurred during the nineties that caused Khan to flee earth.

Only seen up to episode 4 but doesn’t the event that causes the alternate future occur in 2024? That’s why they have gone back to this time to time in the first place,to fix what happens around this time.The time previous to 2024 should be pretty much unaltered.

What you’re seeing is the past being altered due to the future changing, which is why Guinan doesn’t remember Picard because from the future that Picard travels from there was no time travel to 1893. It’s a good example of how the past AND future changes both ways depending on the critical point which is 2024.
    Also,the fact that they are in 2024 means there should be at least SOME mention of the Eugenics wars that occurred during the nineties that caused Khan to flee earth

Without spoiling anything, Episode 5 heavily infers the eugenics wars via the ban on eugenics experiments that was imposed after the war.

I actually thought it was more egregious that VOYAGER had an episode set in 1996 and there was zero reference to it aside from an Easter egg in Sarah Silverman’s work office of the Botany Bay. Turned out that was a conscious choice of the writers, who felt such a reference was too distracting.

What you’re seeing is the past being altered due to the future changing, which is why Guinan doesn’t remember Picard because from the future that Picard travels from there was no time travel to 1893. It’s a good example of how the past AND future changes both ways depending on the critical point which is 2024.
    Also,the fact that they are in 2024 means there should be at least SOME mention of the Eugenics wars that occurred during the nineties that caused Khan to flee earth

Without spoiling anything, Episode 5 heavily infers the eugenics wars via the ban on eugenics experiments that was imposed after the war.

I actually thought it was more egregious that VOYAGER had an episode set in 1996 and there was zero reference to it aside from an Easter egg in Sarah Silverman’s work office of the Botany Bay. Turned out that was a conscious choice of the writers, who felt such a reference was too distracting.

Interesting.Will check out episode 5 tonight.

I never read them but there was a trilogy of novels about Khan going from the actual eugenics wars to being marooned on Cetus Alpha 5.One of them actually managed to make the Voyager episode make sense in the timeline and included the characters from that episode as well as Dr. Gillian Taylor from The Voyage Home.

Yeah I’ve heard of those, that the wars were explained as being held secret from the public or something. It’s the exact kind of things Trek novelists will do to try to mend any continuity gaffes like Khan Noonien Singh suddenly being played by Benedict Cumberbatch, the palest British actor on the face of the planet.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    To be fair it was a bit odd just how Mexican the original Khan was considering he was supposed to be Indian.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2022 Posts: 23,102

Epic!
    So I watched Picard S2,E6.Jesus,it was technically the shortest episode yet at 42 mins but it seemed to drag on FOREVER.Picard and his “ crew “ spent the entire episode hanging around at the gala event and they all just talk about their feelings.Absolutely NOTHING happened besides the blonde nerdy chick who’s name I can’t remember singing on stage.

And that one who keeps calling Picard “ JL “ is a terrible actress.She completely overacts in every episode.The season started off well but Q IS totally wasted and the storyline is going nowhere at a snails pace.And how many times is Picard is going to have that flashback of his aunt/whatever saying “ Look to the skies Jean Luc! “

Please tell me the next episode is better cos I’m seriously thinking of ditching like i did for Star Trek:Burnham.
    Picard Season 2 Episodes 7 and 8 the wheels have fallen off the writers have got themselves into a muddle and clearly know nothing of Picards history. The writers have tried to write too many ongoing stories at the same time and are awkwardly trying to connect them all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2022 Posts: 16,328
    Picard Season 2 Episodes 7 and 8 the wheels have fallen off the writers have got themselves into a muddle and clearly know nothing of Picards history. The writers have tried to write too many ongoing stories at the same time and are awkwardly trying to connect them all.

Modern live-action Star Trek in a nutshell. Many plotlines that could go somewhere but never do.
    Have you seen LOWER DECKS?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes, I really enjoy it. I can't wait for season 3.

I should rephrase my last post.

Murdock wrote: »
    Yes, I really enjoy it. I can't wait for season 3.

I should rephrase my last post.

You have my sword.
    patb wrote: »

That thumbnail pretty much sums up the state of modern day Star Trek.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I remain carefully optimistic after the disappointments of Discovery and Picard...
    edited April 2022 Posts: 23,102
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I remain carefully optimistic after the disappointments of Discovery and Picard...

Totally understandable.

Here is the intro to Strange New Worlds...

---
    Picard S2 Episode 9, wow the budget dried up in this one. God dam awful.
    Take a guess where Star Trek comes in...

Nerdrotic sucks.

Sounds encouraging.