Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

On a complete sidenote, how come Warner picked Ben Affleck and Robert Pattinson to play Batman over Jon Hamm.

Also I could totally see Batman be played by a black actor as well. Hell why not cast Idris for that one too, he fits the bill.

I agree Hemsworth has potential beyond Marvel's Thor.

I really like Jon Hamm. That said I think the tone they wanted with Affleck and Pattinson's films were darker and more consciously different takes on the character. Hamm would play a good mid-career Wayne/Batman (I can particularly see him doing the playboy stuff really well) but I think they needed a younger, more brooding actor for The Batman and someone a bit more serious and angry for Snyder's films. If the Snyder's Batman vs Suprman had been more along the lines of the Animated Series Batman/Superman crossover I'd have said Hamm was a good pick... as it is it's better he had nothing to do with that film.

I can see Elba doing a good rendition of the The Dark Knight Returns style Batman.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Idris Elba is a great actor!
    I can also see him as Indiana Jones too, in case of Harrison Ford's retirement.
    He can play any kind of role, he's a versatile actor.
  • meddlemeddle canada
    I am Pretty sure henry cavill could kick's idris elba's ass anyday of the week! he looks the part better, perfect age, perfect height. he's like brosnan 30 years ago! Elba is way too old for a 2020s james bond. isnt he craig's age or a few years apart?

also and probably most importantly, he can sell a bond better worlwide. the asian market love Cavill way more than Elba. as will america. also did i really offended people Benny? i am sorry for that! just saying my opinions is all.

Idris elba has tanked in so many movies too. remember dark tower and all the hype about it?

Elba is also an actual fighter and a Hackney boy. Cavill is not. So no, Cavill will not be able to kick Elba's ass. Also, Box Office is irrelevant and has no significant consequence on casting the lead for a Bond film. Bond films ultimately sell themselves. I'll also add that Elba's performances are consistently top tier and Cavill isn't even close to being in the same league, and I say all this as someone who has no desire to see Elba as Bond.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 784
    I actually don’t think Cavill would be a terrible choice, he really does look the part.

But he bulked up to the point of obesity, cannot act, comes off as daft, and showcases in interviews the charisma of a 15 year old virgin who reads The Game (Neil Strauss) and listens to motivational speakers. In other words the stupefied general public would indeed love him and relate to him.

I still think he would do great in the role and he does seem like a much nicer and humbler guy than most celebs. He just needs to relax a bit. The only contender with a stick further up their ass is Rege Jean-Page, this guy I bet sits straight up when he poops.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »
    Hemsworth looking pretty sharp in the upcoming film “ Spiderhead “

BdtVSFJ.jpg

n735LMy.jpg

If he was English and he wasn't Thor, I think he would have been cast already. He'd be a great choice
    Potentially he's too big a star at this point and I doubt Eon will want to cast an Australian but I could be dead wrong
    Edit: Ok, just to add a 10th name, I'll throw in Joe Alwyn as a potential darkhorse. 31 years old and is pulling in a lot of roles in respected movies.

qWoLh1YY_400x400.jpg

85f517f198169bdc0b7878b247f5c49f.gif

Interesting candidate… I’ll be right back, just felt a sudden urge to spend some time with myself.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I'm also seeing him in the internet, I think he would make a good Bond, I see Daniel Craig in him. 👍
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I can see a bit of Tom Courtenay in that bottom photo!
    Dude could have played Bond himself back in the day.

22_top25greatestvillains.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Timothy-Everest-Top-Five-Ralph-Fiennes-1-1024x1024.jpg
    Dude could have played Bond himself back in the day.

22_top25greatestvillains.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Timothy-Everest-Top-Five-Ralph-Fiennes-1-1024x1024.jpg

Oh what could have been! I always thought Fiennes would have made a great Aragorn too. In fact when I read LOTR I imagine Ralph Fiennes in his prime as Aragorn.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I know this may get poo poo'd but one of my friends keeps banging on about it and honestly I think she may be on to something... What about Taron Egerton? Decent looking, pretty good actor, only 32 years of age... The massive thing going against him is that he's on the short side.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    00Heaven wrote: »
    I know this may get poo poo'd but one of my friends keeps banging on about it and honestly I think she may be on to something... What about Taron Egerton? Decent looking, pretty good actor, only 32 years of age... The massive thing going against him is that he's on the short side.

Too short indeed and an annoying block face
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I guess the Kingsman thing just pretty much takes him out of the running as it’s so similar, and he’s also well-known for it.

Too short indeed and an annoying block face

That awkward moment when my sister told me I remind her of Taron Egerton...guess that puts me out the running as well 😅
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's a good-looking fella, I wouldn't worry too much @Jordo007 :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Being on the short side never stopped Daniel Craig. ;)
    mtm wrote: »
    He's a good-looking fella, I wouldn't worry too much @Jordo007 :)

Haha cheers mate. It's only my sister that sees it
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I mean it's not a massive deal breaker for me because there's so many ways they can fudge it to make an actor look taller than what they are. Egerton may be considered just a bit too short by most though as he's around 5'7"/5'8" from what I googled.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited April 2022 Posts: 686
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I mean it's not a massive deal breaker for me because there's so many ways they can fudge it to make an actor look taller than what they are. Egerton may be considered just a bit too short by most though as he's around 5'7"/5'8" from what I googled.

I think the thing is that you can make a 5'7'' actor look taller, but you can't really make them look tall. Daniel Craig is 5'10'' and they successfully made him look 6' on screen, presumably by using lifts, plus careful casting and shooting. I'm not sure you could make Taron Egerton (or Jack O'Connell, Tom Holland, Jamie Bell, et al.) look as tall as Bond is supposed to be. Then it goes from saying that X is a good fit for the character to saying X is a good fit for the character if they altered the character to fit X. I think it's a slippery slope, though I guess if you have an actor that is stunning in the role except for the one thing, then you might well feel the compromise is more than justified. Once again, I'm glad I'm not the one who actually has to make the decision in real-life.
    @sandbagger1 I mean, they make Tom Cruise look tall quite effectively in his action films. Believe it or not many people don't know he's rather short in real life and are quite surprised to learn this after seeing his films, so I get the sense it might be a different story if we didn't know beforehand the height of these actors. Same with Connery's toupee in his Bond films. If you didn't know you wouldn't notice it.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Eh. I think Cruise is actually a great example of what @sandbagger1 is saying: They succesfully make him look taller than he is, but I don't think a lot of people would say Tom Cruise is a tall man.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think being tall is a character trait though. It wouldn't bother me at all if the next Bond was Cruise's height.
    Eh. I think Cruise is actually a great example of what @sandbagger1 is saying: They succesfully make him look taller than he is, but I don't think a lot of people would say Tom Cruise is a tall man.

It's difficult to tell - like I said if you already know he's short then that factors into how you view him onscreen. I don't know if anyone would think he's tall necessarily but I have met some people who have no idea he's short as I said, so... I dunno, it might not be that big a deal if a Bond actor is a certain height.
    Kingsman would rule Taron Edgerton out anyway, but I had no idea he was that short. Which just goes to show imo that height really doesn’t matter.
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't think being tall is a character trait though. It wouldn't bother me at all if the next Bond was Cruise's height.

Yeah exactly. I think the only aspects of Bond’s physical appearance that really matter are the ones that inform his character. He has to be good looking, to make it convincing when the girls fall at his feet. He has to look like he’s in decent shape, because he’s an action hero. And he can’t look scruffy or unkempt, because he’s meant to be suave and refined. But is there anything about Bond that necessitates him being 6ft? I would say no. It’s as important as having jet black hair or the scar on his face. Nice to have, but ultimately irrelevant to how convincing he is in the role. There’s a reason they picked Daniel Craig over Henry Cavill.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    But realistically there is a basement and a ceiling when it comes to height. No matter how great of an actor can anyone say that the would be fine with an actor wit the statue of Peter Dinklage being cast? The same could be asked of an actor who is 6’8.

As someone who is 5’8”, my personal parameters for an actor are 5’9 and 6’4 , and 5’9 actor would need the right shoes. Wink
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,751
    But realistically there is a basement and a ceiling when it comes to height. No matter how great of an actor can anyone say that the would be fine with an actor wit the statue of Peter Dinklage being cast? The same could be asked of an actor who is 6’8.

As someone who is 5’8”, my personal parameters for an actor are 5’9 and 6’4 , and 5’9 actor would need the right shoes. Wink

It depends on whether you think that 5'8 falls within that 'acceptable range' in terms of the actor's height. Also Peter Dinklage does noticeably have Achondroplasia (not just his height but facial structure, arms, legs etc.) so for this specific role I think there's a difference between him and other actors like Edgerton who are a bit shorter than average but more plausible candidates (I don't believe Edgerton will get the role for what it's worth).

I mean, if a candidate was perfect for the role but was either 5'7 or 6'5, would that in itself lead to them not getting the part?

But say they cast an actor who was 5’8, or 6’5. Would that extra inch really make you write them off? It just seems like a very arbitary way of looking at it to me. I think the basement/ceiling should be, would they have to address his height in the script. If he was as short as Peter Dinklage or as tall as Tyson Fury then yeah, there’s
    no hiding that, and it’d affect his suitability for his job as a spy. But anywhere from a bit shorter to a bit taller than average would be fine imo.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If 5’7 is ok then why not 5’6? If that’s ok then why not 5’5 ? Then what’s another inch matter, how about 5’4.

This is a matter of personal preference. Mine bottoms out at 5’9 and tops out at 6’4
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I would say that it comes down to Bond perhaps shouldn't be physically unusual in any regard apart from his attractiveness to the ladeez (and perhaps a facial scar if they wanted to go that way). So not unusually old or young; tall or short; thin, fat or muscly etc. to the extent that it would be something that someone might comment on. He should be a sort of alpha male type, but your Cruises and Hardys and O'Connells (and indeed Edgertons) all manage that, I'd say.
    In terms of physicality that's all I'd really specify I think.