Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited April 2022 Posts: 175
    I'm always changing my mind, but these may be my top 5 at the moment. (Aldridge, Suter, Hughes, James, Turner)

Ben Aldridge - From Pennyworth and Fleabag. Could see him doing a more humorous and charming Bond.

MV5BMDJmODZiM2QtZTZmYS00YmY0LTgzYjUtNmZiNzRmMmQ3MGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkzNzM4NDM@._V1_.jpg

Leo Suter - Only 28, and kind of a rising star. From Vikings: Valhalla. Could also see him doing a more charming, Moore-like Bond.

Leo-Suter-plays-Daniel-Beecham-d2a8be3.jpg?quality=90&fit=620,413

357b1mtch6l81.gif?s=169526b825dbaf482920474cd9d036641ba6f2bb

Theo James - Could see him playing it in more Connery-like way.

TheoJames-2019.jpg

Tom Hughes - From Victoria. Would probably be more of a quiet, brooding type though, which isn't the direction I prefer.

7dfb65488b282b0e121d57a99b435e26.gif

89b6d37fda499d199d82622bce54cbd55dd09233.gif

Aidan Turner - Do we really need more pictures of him?

Based on pictures and videos I'm also interested in Bart Edwards, though I haven't seen him in anything yet. And also Jack Bannon, with a few more years on him. Or maybe Oliver Jackson-Cohen, but I still have to watch those two haunted house series:

cd031343781d942c7d99d1d0be564fa6e80e756a.gif

Other than that, maybe Tom Austen?

9e0f69791887486c2c075ae0b7304c3039b112d8.gif

I would need to see him in something. Here he is looking lost and confused about town:

Edit: Ok, just to add a 10th name, I'll throw in Joe Alwyn as a potential darkhorse. 31 years old and is pulling in a lot of roles in respected movies.

qWoLh1YY_400x400.jpg

85f517f198169bdc0b7878b247f5c49f.gif
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,744
    Ludovico wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1597753/next-james-bond-tom-hardy-rege-jean-page-daniel-craig-007

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/tom-hardy-is-no-longer-favourite-to-play-james-bond-20220419

Apparently for some reason Tom Hardy's chances of being the next Bond have fallen... kind of a given considering he's probably not even being considered for the role, but oh well. I wonder how many more of these types of articles we'll get about Tom Hardy, Rege Jean-Page and Henry Cavill's odds of being the next Bond before the actual frontrunner for the role is hinted at.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    We should all do a top 5 candidates, who we think deserve a screentest. It would be interesting to see who we can agree on

Cool. My picks with obligatory Bondian pictures:

1) Jack Bannon (Pennyworth, Endeavour)

FILE_Rake_Magazine_Jack_Bannon15156_V02.jpg?format=2500w

2) Ed Speleers (Downton Abbey, Eragon, Outlander)

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

3) Tom Hughes (The Game , Victoria)

MV5BM2UzOTdhNjYtNTA0NC00OTU0LWFhNGMtOGNjNDQ0ZDA1ZjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRyYW5zY29kZS13b3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

4) Jack Lowden (Benedicton, Slow Horses, Dunkirk)

Benediction.jpg?fit=1000%2C562&ssl=1

5) Jack O'Connell (Unbroken, SAS: Rogue Heroes)

979cc1f83d5a021d07781e07f57fde34.jpg

Based on these pics alone, I'd say none of them.

Haha, bit harsh, surely? Like I've said on this thread you can't tell from the pics alone, which is why I also mentioned past performances from them. I'm sure many would have said the same if they'd seen a picture of Connery in '62, or a picture of Craig in 2006. I think each one of these actors could bring something a bit more unique to the role going from what I've seen of them, especially in comparison to the more run of the mill suggestions being touted in the press (Henry Cavill, Richard Madden and even Aidan Turner to a much lesser extent). Also, all have imbecile jawlines... not that that matters, but still.

What are your suggestions?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Five actors I’d like to get screentested….

1. Nicholas Hoult
    2. Tom Hughes
    3. Aidan Turner
    4. Theo James
    5. Oscar Isaac
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,382
    Here's my top 5 (that I'd like to get screentested).

1. Theo James
    2. Sam Claflin
    3. Max Irons
    4. Josh O' Connor
    5. James Norton

Additional Wildcards:
    * Jude Law
    * Chris Hemsworth
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    We did didn't we I forgotten about that. It would be interesting to see which actor we all believe deserves a chance.

That's a really good list mate, I'd be happy with most of them to be honest. It'll be interesting to see what's the cut off age wise this time

A member on here (sorry I can't remember who, please tell me) did a fantastic list on IMDB and I'd have to refer to that to pick my five. I can't think of anyone, other than Turner and Madden, off the top of my head.

You might be referring to my list, which is here:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls086368006

Ah. I forgot about Dan Stevens. May need to slot him infront of Dickinson or Dornan...
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I thought Dan Stevens would be a good shout after Spectre and the uncertainty of Craig returning to the role... But he's now 39 and with the rate EON put films out he could be out of the running.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    My Five would be, in no particular order:
    1, Michael Fassbender
    2, Cillian Murphy
    3, Sam Heughan
    5, Dan Stevens
    6, Nicholas Hoult
    * And my 2 additional wildcards who could do interesting screen tests :
    - Matt Smith
    - Alexander Scarsgard
  • MI5MI5 Bahamas
    I don't fancy a bet on anyone as the next 007 let alone someone from the nineteenth century (ie Bridgerton) even though the James Bond line of actors will no doubt run into the 22nd Century. It's a shame similar legacies don't exist for other spy series.

I must admit that although I have seen and read most of the Bond (and John Le Carré) films and books I prefer the matter of fact raw noir espionage as portrayed in the Harry Palmer films based on Deighton's novels or even the dark satanic humour of Slow Horses. The good news is there is still hope for a Harry Palmer legacy but probably not via the “other Joe Cole”.

There is a series of intriguing and enigmatic fact based spy novels called The Burlington Files in which the protagonist (Edward Burlington aka Bill Fairclough, a real spy) has been likened to a posh Harry Palmer. What a life he must have led! There are six novels. The first (Beyond Enkription) only covers his life and time in 1974 with MI6 and the CIA in the UK, USA and Caribbean and it is a huge action packed thriller in its own right.

It's so real it made me wonder what was the point of reading espionage fiction when facts are so much more exciting. Len Deighton and Mick Herron could be forgiven for thinking they co-wrote this noir narrative. Atmospherically it's reminiscent of Ted Lewis' Get Carter of Michael Caine fame.

Let's hope one day soon a rare breed of film producer who doesn't rely on remakes or rehashes, makes brand new films based on The Burlington Files series. If they do they'll only have themselves to blame if they don't go down in film history as classic espionage thrillers.

• edited April 2022 Posts: 784
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Alexander Scarsgard

Alexander Skarsgard couldn’t pass for a Briton even if he practiced relentlessly. A-list Swedish actors can’t even pull off simple American accents, it’s kind of embarrassing.

It is a shame really because there is so much promising talent with international potential and schooling that never get a break in my home country. David Dencik who played Obruchev in NTTD is a good example of someone with a wider range but even he struggles to sound authentic.

Interestingly enough old stars such as Greta Garbo and Ingrid Bergman or even Alexander’s dad Stellan had lesser trouble with accents despite lesser globalisation back in the day.

I always forget about Dorian honestly I would be fine with him it’s weird I can picture him as Bond but I can’t picture where the films might go with his bond…

Honestly maybe a Dalton approach with him in the lead or an early Craig approach dark close to Fleming down to earth

It could work
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1597753/next-james-bond-tom-hardy-rege-jean-page-daniel-craig-007

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/tom-hardy-is-no-longer-favourite-to-play-james-bond-20220419

Apparently for some reason Tom Hardy's chances of being the next Bond have fallen... kind of a given considering he's probably not even being considered for the role, but oh well. I wonder how many more of these types of articles we'll get about Tom Hardy, Rege Jean-Page and Henry Cavill's odds of being the next Bond before the actual frontrunner for the role is hinted at.
    We should all do a top 5 candidates, who we think deserve a screentest. It would be interesting to see who we can agree on

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

MV5BM2UzOTdhNjYtNTA0NC00OTU0LWFhNGMtOGNjNDQ0ZDA1ZjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRyYW5zY29kZS13b3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

Haha, bit harsh, surely? Like I've said on this thread you can't tell from the pics alone, which is why I also mentioned past performances from them. I'm sure many would have said the same if they'd seen a picture of Connery in '62, or a picture of Craig in 2006. I think each one of these actors could bring something a bit more unique to the role going from what I've seen of them, especially in comparison to the more run of the mill suggestions being touted in the press (Henry Cavill, Richard Madden and even Aidan Turner to a much lesser extent). Also, all have imbecile jawlines... not that that matters, but still.

That's why I said based on these pics alone: that was irrespective of anything else and I am always happy to reconsider my judgement when new evidence arises.

I suggested a few fairly obscure names in this thread. So far I don't have anyone I'd consider a sure bet.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited April 2022 Posts: 2,482
    We did didn't we I forgotten about that. It would be interesting to see which actor we all believe deserves a chance.

That's a really good list mate, I'd be happy with most of them to be honest. It'll be interesting to see what's the cut off age wise this time

A member on here (sorry I can't remember who, please tell me) did a fantastic list on IMDB and I'd have to refer to that to pick my five. I can't think of anyone, other than Turner and Madden, off the top of my head.

You might be referring to my list, which is here:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls086368006

That's the one. I'm sorry I couldn't remember you're username mate.

My 5 would be

Aidan Turner
    Richard Madden
    Tom Hughes
    Leo Suter
    Callum Turner
    ( mainly for @Denbigh and because I can't see many of the others in the role. He'd need a better haircut though)

I think Aidan Turner or Madden would be a clean slate TLD/Goldeneye style reboot. Here's the new Bond in his new world, don't worry about timelines or connections, this is Bond #7.

Hughes or Suter would be my picks if they were to be inspired by The Batman and go for her a young Bond, in his early days as 007.
    I could picture Hughes being like a Dalton style spy and Suter being a tougher version of Brosnan, similar to how it would have been had Brosnan been cast in 87.

I hope they just reboot and go for a Bond in his prime and give us a classic film. Hopefully it's a grounded film, that's got full on action, exotic locations and some great witty dialogue

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

That's why I said based on these pics alone: that was irrespective of anything else and I am always happy to reconsider my judgement when new evidence arises.

I suggested a few fairly obscure names in this thread. So far I don't have anyone I'd consider a sure bet.

Fair enough. I'd look at some of those actor's work. I particularly think Bannon and Hughes are in good positions to get auditions based on Pennyworth and The Game respectively. O'Connell has grown on me and has something interesting about him. At the end of the day we can only speculate though. I think you're right, no one's a sure bet, and we're not in a situation similar to Brosnan's casting in the early 90s. If anything this is more similar to the run up to Craig's casting - many lesser known actors thrown into the mix but ultimately the right candidate will shine during the auditions.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hemsworth looking pretty sharp in the upcoming film “ Spiderhead “

BdtVSFJ.jpg

n735LMy.jpg

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

Fair enough. I'd look at some of those actor's work. I particularly think Bannon and Hughes are in good positions to get auditions based on Pennyworth and The Game respectively. O'Connell has grown on me and has something interesting about him. At the end of the day we can only speculate though. I think you're right, no one's a sure bet, and we're not in a situation similar to Brosnan's casting in the early 90s. If anything this is more similar to the run up to Craig's casting - many lesser known actors thrown into the mix but ultimately the right candidate will shine during the auditions.

I think O’Connell might be in a good position for it too. He gave two critically acclaimed lead performances in 71, directed by Yan Demange, and Starred Up, directed by David Mckenzie. Both those directors met with the producers for NTTD, so I’d imagine Barbara has seen the films, and he strikes me as the sort of actor she likes. He’s also the right age and he’s not too famous. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was on a list somewhere.

I still think the smart money is on a black or asian actor getting it though. Whether you like the idea or not, can you really, honestly imagine them going another 50 years just casting white guys? I can’t personally. And while a few years ago I would’ve guessed that Bond no 7 would be white and Bond no 8 would be black, Craig stayed much longer than I thought he would. And they do have a complete clean slate now thanks to CraigBond’s death, which is what they’d need for a casting like that.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    I thought Dan Stevens would be a good shout after Spectre and the uncertainty of Craig returning to the role... But he's now 39 and with the rate EON put films out he could be out of the running.

39 isn’t ideal, but Dornan is the same age. And the more I think about Stevens the more I like the idea. He can do both weird and straight very well. Could bring a good mixture of Craig’s serious style, Moore‘s fun and Fleming‘s original absurdity.

(See, I told you I’d have three new names every day. Stevens and Styles for Dornan and Dickinson. Maybe we’ll do actor’s starting with H tomorrow…)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Nicholas Hoult

Dan Stevens

Aidan Turner

Oliver Jackson-Cohen

Sam Claflin

Yes, Dan Stevens is probably too old, but I'd just love to see what he'd do with the character - he's got such range, it would be interesting. Aidan Turner is only a year younger than Stevens, so he might well miss out due to age, what with the (apparent) lack of movement at Eon on the Bond front.
  • meddlemeddle canada
    Aiden turner or Cavill are the best choices and far away. Sure Cavill isnt a Shakespearian heavyweight actor like Dalton was. but then again Dalton was the least liked Bond since Lazenby and his movies pretty much tanked for bond standards.

some horrible suggestions ive seen that are sickening. i mean a black bond? you're just gonna piss off 50% of the audiences. good luck with that in America.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The idea of a black Bond is sickening @meddle.....?

A suggestion: think before writing (or at the very least, stop reading Breitbart).
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Alexander Scarsgard

Alexander Skarsgard couldn’t pass for a Briton even if he practiced relentlessly. A-list Swedish actors can’t even pull off simple American accents, it’s kind of embarrassing.

It is a shame really because there is so much promising talent with international potential and schooling that never get a break in my home country. David Dencik who played Obruchev in NTTD is a good of example someone with a wider range but even he struggles to sound authentic.

Interestingly enough old stars such as Greta Garbo and Ingrid Bergman or even Alexander’s dad Stellan had lesser trouble with accents despite lesser globalisation back in the day.

Yes, I respect your point of view and being honest, I don't disagree really in terms of the accent. That's why I put him as a wild card. I think other than the voice though he has potential in terms of screen presence and physicality.
    He hasn't a chance of getting the role, I just feel he's an interesting one to ponder.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 12,242
    peter wrote: »

A suggestion: think before writing (or at the very least, stop reading Breitbart).

It’s disturbing how brazen some folks have gotten over this kind of thing lately…
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

It’s disturbing how brazen some folks have gotten over this kind of thing lately…

Agree @FoxRox …. There’s no place for this type of crap…. 2022 and all of that…. I have zero patience for it. Nauseating and shows a character who lives in a very small world.
    Idris Elba is by far a better choice than Henry Cavill or any of the other suggested white actors for that matter. It is not even close.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Idris Elba is by far a better choice than Henry Cavill.

By a long shot. Charisma to spare. Masculine. Athletic and he can, you know, do the acting thing pretty damn well.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @meddle you should read the terms and conditions of the site once again.
    Your comments above, have no place on this forum.

For everyone's interest, we strive to create a growing, friendly community, based on the huge world of James Bond 007. We welcome all users from any walk of life to actively participate on our boards.

However, by doing so, you may not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. If, for any reason, you fail to adhere to this, your admittance to the board may be subject to short or long term access exclusions.

Our community has a strong moderation team, which will actively curb any rule violations. Likewise, should you see any material that you deem to be offensive or objectionable; you should feel confident in sending any of our team a Private Message with your concerns.

You should not get involved in any heated arguments between members on our board. If there is a clear violation of this policy, you should avoid adding to the argument, and instead contact our team.

Posts that are deemed as 'spam' should also be avoided. These may include mass flooding of identical posts in a thread, or across several threads, posts that contain no active remarks that add to the topic discussion (such as one-word posts) or posts that, regardless of quality, are not related to the topic at hand.

You also should avoid posting any copyrighted material, whether textual or pictorial on our community. If you are unsure if any material is appropriate, feel free to contact the moderation team in advance of posting.

We reserve the right to remove any content for any reason or no reason at all. We reserve the right to terminate any membership for any reason or no reason at all.

We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

We log all internet protocol addresses accessing this web site. Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this community.

By submitting posts to MI6 Community and or its associates you are agreeing that MI6 Community and or its associates own the copyright to the information (unless a previous non copyright agreement has been made beforehand in writing), and that MI6 Community and or its associates have the right to publish or use that information in any way. MI6 Community retains the right to remove or maintain any data submitted at its discretion.

You must be at least 13 years of age to use this service

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

I think O’Connell might be in a good position for it too. He gave two critically acclaimed lead performances in 71, directed by Yan Demange, and Starred Up, directed by David Mckenzie. Both those directors met with the producers for NTTD, so I’d imagine Barbara has seen the films, and he strikes me as the sort of actor she likes. He’s also the right age and he’s not too famous. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was on a list somewhere.

I still think the smart money is on a black or asian actor getting it though. Whether you like the idea or not, can you really, honestly imagine them going another 50 years just casting white guys? I can’t personally. And while a few years ago I would’ve guessed that Bond no 7 would be white and Bond no 8 would be black, Craig stayed much longer than I thought he would. And they do have a complete clean slate now thanks to CraigBond’s death, which is what they’d need for a casting like that.

Interesting thoughts about O'Connell. I think he's got something about him, a strong screen presence. Good actor too. Can definitely see him getting an audition.

As for a black or Asian Bond, I'd say I'm sceptical that this will be the case this time round. Rege Jean-Page is a solid candidate but he seems to be engaged with a reboot of The Saint and I can imagine his interpretation (a more gentlemanly Moore-esque Bond going from what I've seen of him) not chiming with the direction of the next film. Same for someone like Henry Golding (although I think he's just a touch too clean cut for Bond, and I've not seen him in anything that strikes me as Bond-esque). Idris Elba is too old although I'm so down for him playing M. I've seen Kingsley Ben-Adir suggested but he strikes me as more a Bill Tanner than a Bond, which I also genuinely want to see. I certainly think they'll be open to auditioning non-white British actors but from what I can tell I think the next Bond will be white and British. I do, however, think the cast will be more diverse than what we've seen before.
    I am not quite as certain as you are. 5/6 previous actors have had considerably darker complexions than white British. And although Craig is blonde, he looks more Russian than he does native to me (but so do most of the blonde candidates)

Idris Elba doesn't look that old without a beard, and he doesn't need to stay on for 20 years or even 10. He looks younger than me and I am not even in my 30s yet.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,382
    talos7 wrote: »
    Hemsworth looking pretty sharp in the upcoming film “ Spiderhead “

BdtVSFJ.jpg

n735LMy.jpg

8-> :x he's so handsome.
    Mrs. Broccoli, please take a look at this.
    I am not quite as certain as you are. 5/6 previous actors have had considerably darker complexions than white British. And although Craig is blond, he looks more Russian than he does native to me.

Idris Elba doesn't look that old without a beard, and he doesn't need stay on for 20 years or even 10. Hell he looks younger than me and I am not even in my 30s.

Oddly Craig always struck me as more Dutch looking if anything. I mean, you're certainly not going to get his ethnicity confused with anything other than White Caucasian.

I think it's more a case of them wanting to keep the next Bond actor for as long as possible. Elba's nearly 50, even by Bond standards that would be an unprecedented age for a new actor to take over. I really do want him to play M though. The guy just has this strong screen presence/charisma. I can definitely see him playing an incarnation of the character who is hard-line, effective and commands respect (say what you want about Fienne's M, but Craig's Bond certainly did not respect him, and his questionable decisions during NTTD don't put him in a particularly good light)
    On a complete sidenote, how come Warner picked Ben Affleck and Robert Pattinson to play Batman over Jon Hamm.

Also I could totally see Batman be played by a black actor as well. Hell why not cast Idris for that one too, he fits every bill.