Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ‘Sir Ian Fleming’? :))
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I just finished watching Mincemeat and Flynn was decent enough but not especially memorable and Charles Dance had more of Fleming’s likeness. Plus in his scenes up against Jason Isaacs, let’s just say I know who I’d pick for Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I remember Tobias Menzies (best known as Villiers from CR to Bond fans) played Fleming in Any Human Heart I think it was, and he always seemed the best cast actor to play him so far I thought.
    Pushing Flynn for Bond with a clip where he is seated next to Isaacs doesn t do him any favours.

I agree. Isaacs would have been ideal for the role when he was younger.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pushing Flynn for Bond with a clip where he is seated next to Isaacs doesn t do him any favours.

I agree. Isaacs would have been ideal for the role when he was younger.

Yes, he could have done either Brosnan s or Craig s run of films. He is ten years younger than Brosnan, and five years older than Craig.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Jason Isaacs a.k.a. Dalton's less handsome brother. I would have picked him over Craig any day of the week.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Jason Isaacs a.k.a. Dalton's less handsome brother. I would have picked him over Craig any day of the week.

Hurts! I think Craig was great as Bond.
    But I'm interested in Isaac's take.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    MI6HQ wrote: »

Hurts! I think Craig was great as Bond.
    But I'm interested in Isaac's take.

At 58, it's more of what could have been. He's a great actor and potenially could've been a great Bond. But who would we prefer, Isaacs or Brosnan?

MI6HQ wrote: »
    Josh O' Connor
    He's known for playing Prince Charles in The Crown, he's also in the indie film 'Only You' and 'Emma'.

He's 31, British.

emma-dom-e_fp_00028_rgb_copy.jpg?h=c673cd1c&itok=ytC3zvlm

TheCrown_403_Unit_02792.jpg?w=1000

olivia-colman-josh-oconnor-the-crown-season-4-1601379212.jpg?crop=0.585xw:0.878xh;0.388xw,0.0390xh&resize=480:*

VO1219_VLife_Josh_01.jpg

josh-o-conno-rheader-936x1056-c-center.jpg

Actually, I was thinking about this guy the other day as I recommended 'Only You' to someone. I completely forgot that this same guy played Prince Charles in The Crown and Elton in Emma. There's certainly a sense of rawness to his performance in 'Only You' that isn't there in those other films, so O'Connor is certainly in the category of a character actor (I've said this is most likely what we'll get and what Bond needs). It's the same with God's Own Country which he was in. The guy's got talent. He's not an implausible choice.

Now, it's harder to tell with him because he hasn't, as far as I'm aware, played a particularly Bondian character in the past. My instincts are still that Tom Hughes in The Game and Jack Bannon in Pennyworth are more indicative of how these two actors would approach Bond and are my main picks. I'm sure the producers will try and give O'Connor an audition if he's not too busy/in demand though.

My other suggestion would be Ed Speleers. I hate Downton Abbey (pseudo nostalgic BBC nonsense) but from what I have seen of it I thought this guy carried himself confidently in that sort of Craig/Connery way (the walk, demeanour etc.) I've also seen him in Outlander and other things here and there. I think there's something to him, a sort of potential for Bond perhaps. Obligatory photos below if you don't know him but as I've said look up clips of him if you're interested.

MV5BNTkxNjA2NDAyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjEzNDM3MjE@._V1_.jpg

1455281028-ed-speleers-2.jpg

wen-32419948.jpg
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    It seems Calvin Dyson had already looked at Josh O'Connor as James Bond way back.

https://mobile.twitter.com/calvindyson/status/1327702097245179907?lang=en
    mtm wrote: »
    I remember Tobias Menzies (best known as Villiers from CR to Bond fans) played Fleming in Any Human Heart I think it was, and he always seemed the best cast actor to play him so far I thought.

Never seen it, but I can picture that working much more than I can the Dominic Cooper one from a few years ago. Guess it’s more romantic though, to pretend he was the real life Bond and cast someone who wouldn’t look out of place in this thread.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Well, see also Jason Connery: Spymaker ;)
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 328
    I know some folks several years ago on here have mentioned Rupert Friend and I never quite saw it tbh but after watching the new Netflix series, 'Anatomy of a scandal' I can sort of see potential even though he's already 41.

I'd say.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 784
    Since everyone is s
    R.81df74f95a95032e143ec727728be723?rik=46ZLlIU3w4Dzjg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fsoulprospermedia.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f03%2fSnoop-Dogg-2.jpg&ehk=84Tv%2bfTxUtKBTI48RAhPFmFOc%2fpInuhcUXkav9ztk04%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    SD.jpg

Bond. James Bond.

No joke, I think Snoop would be a better choice than most frontrunners. This man is the most naturally suave and composed (yet ruthless looking) motherf*****r to ever walk the planet. Only Rowan Atkinson can compete with his level coolness.

That Tarantino hasn’t made an espionage blaxploitation thriller with him in the lead yet is a tragedy.
    I’d watch it. And Fleming’s Bond took Benzedrine, so why not a stoner Bond? Q’s lab could just be a farm, where MI6 are developing a special strain that kills anyone unfortunate enough to inhale SnoopBond’s secondhand smoke.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And he could do the title song himself.
    mtm wrote: »
    Well, see also Jason Connery: Spymaker ;)

He was totally miscast as Fleming
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/apr/19/bond-rise-harry-trevaldwyn-ten-percent-call-my-agent-helena-bonham-carter-duchovny

Always interesting to be reminded of the cultural relevancy Bond has. An actor makes a throwaway sarcastic joke about how he'll definitely be cast as Bond and The Guardian goes with "I'll be Bond next!" as the headline. Just for the record: He will not. If they go with Gen Z/Tik Tok Bond and cast Harry Styles or Will Poulter, he could be their Q (*shudder*)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/apr/19/bond-rise-harry-trevaldwyn-ten-percent-call-my-agent-helena-bonham-carter-duchovny

Always interesting to be reminded of the cultural relevancy Bond has. An actor makes a throwaway sarcastic joke about how he'll definitely be cast as Bond and The Guardian goes with "I'll be Bond next!" as the headline. Just for the record: He will not. If they go with Gen Z/Tik Tok Bond and cast Harry Styles or Will Poulter, he could be their Q (*shudder*)

Talk about twisting a very throwaway quote made in jest, typical Grauniad.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    We should all do a top 5 candidates, who we think deserve a screentest. It would be interesting to see who we can agree on
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    We should all do a top 5 candidates, who we think deserve a screentest. It would be interesting to see who we can agree on

Oof. Big ask. (and maybe we should do Top 8 and then do the tournament idea, we talked about a couple of pages back?)

At this very moment, of the top of my head and if the question is "Which five actors should be given a screentest?" (because that is different from "Top 5 guys I want to see play James Bond") I'd probably go:
    1. Nicholas Hoult
    2. Aidan Turner
    3. Jack Lowden
    4. Jamie Dornan
    5. Harris Dickinson

Not necessarily in that order and if you ask me tomorrow, I'd probably give you three other names. Hoult and Turner are really the only ones I'm convinced by, at the moment.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    We did didn't we I forgotten about that. It would be interesting to see which actor we all believe deserves a chance.

That's a really good list mate, I'd be happy with most of them to be honest. It'll be interesting to see what's the cut off age wise this time

A member on here (sorry I can't remember who, please tell me) did a fantastic list on IMDB and I'd have to refer to that to pick my five. I can't think of anyone, other than Turner and Madden, off the top of my head.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Oof. Big ask. (and maybe we should do Top 8 and then do the tournament idea, we talked about a couple of pages back?)

At this very moment, of the top of my head and if the question is "Which five actors should be given a screentest?" (because that is different from "Top 5 guys I want to see play James Bond") I'd probably go:
    1. Nicholas Hoult
    2. Aidan Turner
    3. Jack Lowden
    4. Jamie Dornan
    5. Harris Dickinson

Not necessarily in that order and if you ask me tomorrow, I'd probably give you three other names. Hoult and Turner are really the only ones I'm convinced by, at the moment.

Nice list, it contains 3 of my current picks.
    Of course this type of thing is fluid and for the most part recognizable names; there are likely several lesser known actors who deserve a look.

At the moment

1. Nicholas Hoult
    2. Aidan Turner
    3. Jack Lowden
    4. Chris Hemsworth
    5. Harry Styles ( a dark horse yes, but he’s got
    charisma, charm , and an intensity)

• edited April 2022 Posts: 2,742
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1597753/next-james-bond-tom-hardy-rege-jean-page-daniel-craig-007

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/tom-hardy-is-no-longer-favourite-to-play-james-bond-20220419

Apparently for some reason Tom Hardy's chances of being the next Bond have fallen... kind of a given considering he's probably not even being considered for the role, but oh well. I wonder how many more of these types of articles we'll get about Tom Hardy, Rege Jean-Page and Henry Cavill's odds of being the next Bond before the actual frontrunner for the role is hinted at.

Cool. My picks with obligatory Bondian pictures:

1) Jack Bannon (Pennyworth, Endeavour)

FILE_Rake_Magazine_Jack_Bannon15156_V02.jpg?format=2500w

2) Ed Speleers (Downton Abbey, Eragon, Outlander)

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

3) Tom Hughes (The Game , Victoria)

MV5BM2UzOTdhNjYtNTA0NC00OTU0LWFhNGMtOGNjNDQ0ZDA1ZjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRyYW5zY29kZS13b3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

4) Jack Lowden (Benedicton, Slow Horses, Dunkirk)

Benediction.jpg?fit=1000%2C562&ssl=1

5) Jack O'Connell (Unbroken, SAS: Rogue Heroes)

979cc1f83d5a021d07781e07f57fde34.jpg
    007HallY wrote: »
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1597753/next-james-bond-tom-hardy-rege-jean-page-daniel-craig-007

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/tom-hardy-is-no-longer-favourite-to-play-james-bond-20220419

Apparently for some reason Tom Hardy's chances of being the next Bond have fallen... kind of a given considering he's probably not even being considered for the role, but oh well. I wonder how many more of these types of articles we'll get about Tom Hardy, Rege Jean-Page and Henry Cavill's odds of being the next Bond before the actual frontrunner for the role is hinted at.

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

MV5BM2UzOTdhNjYtNTA0NC00OTU0LWFhNGMtOGNjNDQ0ZDA1ZjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRyYW5zY29kZS13b3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

Jack Bannon is one of two younger then me actors I would be ok with being 007

my list is going to eb a mixed bag (when is ti not)

1. Tom Hardy
    2. Jack Bannon
    3. Nicholas hoult
    4. Michael Fassbender (the only reason he isnt number one is that window for him to be bond is closing more and more by the day)
    5. Chris Hemsworth... I feel he is slowly becoming my Henry Cavill a safe choice that wont do anything special with the role but will be a lot of fun
    talos7 wrote: »

1. Nicholas Hoult
    2. Aidan Turner
    3. Jack Lowden
    4. Jamie Dornan
    5. Harris Dickinson

Nice list, it contains 3 of my current picks.
    Of course this type of thing is fluid and for the most part recognizable names; there are likely several lesser known actors who deserve a look.

At the moment

1. Nicholas Hoult
    2. Aidan Turner
    3. Jack Lowden
    4. Chris Hemsworth
    5. Harry Styles ( a dark horse yes, but he’s got
    charisma, charm , and an intensity)

I thought about putting Styles on there as a kind of „maybe he’ll blow them out of the water in a screentest“-pick, but ultimately he’s not what I want for Bond.
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    We did didn't we I forgotten about that. It would be interesting to see which actor we all believe deserves a chance.

That's a really good list mate, I'd be happy with most of them to be honest. It'll be interesting to see what's the cut off age wise this time

A member on here (sorry I can't remember who, please tell me) did a fantastic list on IMDB and I'd have to refer to that to pick my five. I can't think of anyone, other than Turner and Madden, off the top of my head.

You might be referring to my list, which is here:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls086368006

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

Based on these pics alone, I'd say none of them.
    Ludovico wrote: »

ed-speleers-bio.jpg

Based on these pics alone, I'd say none of them.

Agreed ! That is, none of these five.