Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited April 2022 Posts: 686
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    My sarcastic jab at Turner aside, do these aspects of an actor's face matter that much? Does Craig having ears that stick out and a wide nose impact his ability to play Bond? Does Robert Pattinson's astonishingly flat nose impair his ability to play Batman? Hell, Michael Keaton practically has no chin and he played that part well too. I'm sure if you look hard enough all the Bond actors will have similar 'weak' aspects of their features. Surely an actor having a 'weak jawline' or whatever can be forgiven if their interpretation of the role is strong?

Taking that one step further, is it a case where 'looking like Bond' simply isn't enough and in order to truly gauge these actor's potential (insofar as we can) we need to actually look at said actor's past performances and look a bit deeper to find something in them?

Yes, this is spot on.

A bit of a random thought as he has a new show out, how about Will Poulter? He's a very good actor and becoming more and more prominent in film.

MV5BNWY4MmRiMjktZTBhYS00YzkyLWFlMDgtNzQ4ZGViZDNiZWE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_.jpg
    Well this is what I said back in 2020:
    patb wrote: »
    It's interesting that so many of you are basing the decision on looks when there are so many other factors. Based on that, DC would never had stood a chance but he's done a great job. It's so much more than looks IMHO.

Looks are a big part, though. The James Bond character doesn't require a great deal of range, but does require an audience to believe that they could occasionally kill professional assassins with their bare hands AND be very attractive to a wide range of women. If you really don't care what the actor looks like, there is a British actor who is young, well regarded, has acted alongside Tom Hardy and Leonardo DiCaprio, and is 6' 3'' - Will Poulter. Good actor, doesn't look like my idea of Bond. That's not to say I would turn him away from an audition, but he's not someone who jumps out at me as being right for the part.
    My feeling haven't really changed - he is talented, he is physically big enough that they wouldn't have to worry about leading ladies' heights, or that of the actors surrounding him, his accent is very middle class/southern... all that works. But his brow/eyebrows are borderline comical. I've seen him play goofy, and I've seen him play mean, but I don't think I've ever seen him play a romantic lead. I guess Why Didn't They Ask Evans will answer whether he works in that context or not.

Wouldn't Poulter's comical eyebrows be another example of the 'weak jawline' thing I was talking about though? I haven't personally gotten anything Bond-esque from his performances in the past regardless, but he's a good actor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2022 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »
    My sarcastic jab at Turner aside, do these aspects of an actor's face matter that much? Does Craig having ears that stick out and a wide nose impact his ability to play Bond? Does Robert Pattinson's astonishingly flat nose impair his ability to play Batman? Hell, Michael Keaton practically has no chin and he played that part well too. I'm sure if you look hard enough all the Bond actors will have similar 'weak' aspects of their features. Surely an actor having a 'weak jawline' or whatever can be forgiven if their interpretation of the role is strong?

Taking that one step further, is it a case where 'looking like Bond' simply isn't enough and in order to truly gauge these actor's potential (insofar as we can) we need to actually look at said actor's past performances and look a bit deeper to find something in them?

Yes, this is spot on.

A bit of a random thought as he has a new show out, how about Will Poulter? He's a very good actor and becoming more and more prominent in film.

MV5BNWY4MmRiMjktZTBhYS00YzkyLWFlMDgtNzQ4ZGViZDNiZWE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_.jpg

I say the new Jason Bourne

I suppose there is something of the Richard Chamberlain about him! :)
    Looks are a big part, though. The James Bond character doesn't require a great deal of range, but does require an audience to believe that they could occasionally kill professional assassins with their bare hands AND be very attractive to a wide range of women. If you really don't care what the actor looks like, there is a British actor who is young, well regarded, has acted alongside Tom Hardy and Leonardo DiCaprio, and is 6' 3'' - Will Poulter. Good actor, doesn't look like my idea of Bond. That's not to say I would turn him away from an audition, but he's not someone who jumps out at me as being right for the part.
    My feeling haven't really changed - he is talented, he is physically big enough that they wouldn't have to worry about leading ladies' heights, or that of the actors surrounding him, his accent is very middle class/southern... all that works. But his brow/eyebrows are borderline comical. I've seen him play goofy, and I've seen him play mean, but I don't think I've ever seen him play a romantic lead. I guess Why Didn't They Ask Evans will answer whether he works in that context or not.

I think he's growing into himself. I haven't seen him do swagger either (and I don't think he will in Evans) but I have seen him do psycho and he does that well, and that's a form of self-assuredness. Looks-wise he's unconventional, but not unattractive and pretty masculine I'd say; and I'd rather have someone like him who's a very good actor and good screen presence. But yeah, he's not a proven candidate just yet.

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I've just looked at an interview with the leads (and Hugh Laurie) of WDTAE, and though the clips of the drama make him look an unlikely candidate for Bond, in the interview itself he's looking as close to being a leading man as I've ever seen him. He's definitely hit the gym, I guess because he's going to be playing Adam Warlock in the upcoming Guardians sequel, and he's done something to his hair (again, perhaps for GotG)... I don't know. I still think he's an unlikely choice, but we'll see.

Here's the interview:
    He has been hitting the gym, hasn't he? Still not seeing Bond, but I hope he gets to do some interesting roles in the future. The chap deserves them.

How about Lucy Boynton as a future Bond girl though? Maybe not the main one but a sort of Agent Fields side character. I personally find something interesting about her. Goes out with Rami Malek too, coincidentally.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yep I was thinking the same thing about Ms Boynton. I think if they were making CR now she'd be a good Vesper- she can do that slightly prickly thing very well.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    TFC1 wrote: »
    Not sure if he has been mentioned before, but I saw something called Miss Scarlett and the Duke tonight and the lead in it is called Stuart Martin. He plays a police detective in victorian england and there was a scene where he had to question and intimidate some posh chap in his club and he definitely looks like he could have the menace. His previous large role was in Jamestown.

He bears an uncanny resemblance to Hugh Jackman but is Scottish, 36 and 6ft 2. Physically and in looks he certainly fits the bill. Not sure he has star factor but could be worth a test!

He looks alright actually! Particularly in the trailer. In interviews though he doesn’t particularly impress. Can’t help comparing him to Connery, being Scottish. He doesn’t exactly match up, but then again nobody does do they. Worth a test though, sure.

Kate Philips’ looks great though- her performance in the trailer alone has me interested and she’s gorgeous too. The next Moneypenny?…

@mtm Yes, now that you mention it she does have a similar vibe to Eva Green as a person and as a performer. Given the right character she could be a plausible choice.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 12,837

Not to anyone other than a certain sort of fan, otherwise Daniel Craig wouldn’t have been so ridiculously popular in the role. I do think there’s a line. Someone as unconventional Will Poulter would have a tough time being accepted, and I think race swapping the role would have quite a bit of backlash at first. But generally, as long as it’s a good actor who’s fairly attractive, then I think the cries of “XYZ isn’t Bond, look at his jawline!” will be confined to sites like this. Problem is though those sort of voices are amplified now through social media, so I do think @ImpertinentGoon is right, the next guy will have a rough time of it no matter who he is. At least until the film comes out anyway.

Yeah completely agree. I think an actor’s suitability for a part like this is impossible to judge from appearance alone, especially just a still image.

Not to anyone other than a certain sort of fan, otherwise Daniel Craig wouldn’t have been so ridiculously popular in the role. I do think there’s a line. Someone as unconventional Will Poulter would have a tough time being accepted, and I think race swapping the role would have quite a bit of backlash at first. But generally, as long as it’s a good actor who’s fairly attractive, then I think the cries of “XYZ isn’t Bond, look at his jawline!” will be confined to sites like this. Problem is though those sort of voices are amplified now through social media, so I do think @ImpertinentGoon is right, the next guy will have a rough time of it no matter who he is. At least until the film comes out anyway.

Yeah completely agree. I think an actor’s suitability for a part like this is impossible to judge from appearance alone, especially just a still image.

Exactly. No matter who it is we'll have to wait and see them in action.

And yes, I do think people critiquing an actor's appearance will be amplified through social media as well as in certain parts of the fandom. Ok, it might not be as specific as the jawline, but as you said if someone like Rege Jean-Page got the part there would be the whole argument about Bond's race, and indeed the subject of casting non-white actors in traditionally white roles in general, that could potentially be part of a minor backlash against him. It's not just that though, it could be anything. What if Tom Hughes got the part? An excellent actor as I've said, and a probable contender, but I can imagine people criticising his appearance, saying he's too much of a 'pretty boy' to be Bond, too thin etc. One can imagine angry Incel types who make up a minority of the internet particularly ranting on about this. Heck, if it's Jack Bannon people will make fun of his hairline or something.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    To serve and protect, mr. Bond, at your service

Hottest-Pictures-Poldark-Aidan-Turner.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'd like to see Aidan with slightly shorter hair. Though the above photo is working quite well @JeremyBondon

hdz11wl8qnze.jpg
    esk1qr8lqw8v.jpg

And then there's this...
    fff1v07h8nzt.jpg

"Double O seven!"
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,382
    Is it important that the Bond actor should be appealing to female audiences or not?

Because, for all I know Male and Female have different criteria when it comes to the actors, I mean for example, Men didn't probably find Daniel Craig handsome, but Women does.
    The participators in this thread were mostly Male, I want to know the bets and thoughts of our Female members, I mean "Girls, do you find these men handsome?, Do you find them sexy?" Or something like that.

Because Bond has been seducing women, he's appealing to them, he's having sex with them.

Is the Bond actor really need to be hot in the eyes of Women?

They're all great actors, but is it important if Women find them attractive or not?
  • People are making fun of talos7's comment about Stuart Martin and his weak jawline, but just look at pictures to see what he's talking about. He definitely looks much worse without the beard:

mvou7a6kpgm3rxzeseqn.jpg

846309_v9_ba.jpg

James Bond should have a certain type of handsomeness. There's not one exact way he has to look, but he can't just look any way. I think it just seems silly sometimes when someone starts talking about someone's jawline or chin or whatever. Whenever I suggest a candidate on here I just supply pictures or videos instead of trying to analyze their facial structure.
    Josh O' Connor
    He's known for playing Prince Charles in The Crown, he's also in the indie film 'Only You' and 'Emma'.

He's 31, British.

emma-dom-e_fp_00028_rgb_copy.jpg?h=c673cd1c&itok=ytC3zvlm

TheCrown_403_Unit_02792.jpg?w=1000

olivia-colman-josh-oconnor-the-crown-season-4-1601379212.jpg?crop=0.585xw:0.878xh;0.388xw,0.0390xh&resize=480:*

VO1219_VLife_Josh_01.jpg

josh-o-conno-rheader-936x1056-c-center.jpg

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    People are making fun of talos7's comment about Stuart Martin and his weak jawline, but just look at pictures to see what he's talking about. He definitely looks much worse without the beard:

mvou7a6kpgm3rxzeseqn.jpg

846309_v9_ba.jpg

James Bond should have a certain type of handsomeness. There's not one exact way he has to look, but he can't just look any way. I think it just seems silly sometimes when someone starts talking about someone's jawline or chin or whatever. Whenever I suggest a candidate on here I just supply pictures or videos instead of trying to analyze their facial structure.

Exactly!

As far as the jabs by some who comically see themselves as more enlightened, I don’t sweat it, I don’t have a glass jaw(line) ;)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 2022 Posts: 4,247
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Josh O' Connor
    He's known for playing Prince Charles in The Crown, he's also in the indie film 'Only You' and 'Emma'.

He's 31, British.

emma-dom-e_fp_00028_rgb_copy.jpg?h=c673cd1c&itok=ytC3zvlm

TheCrown_403_Unit_02792.jpg?w=1000

olivia-colman-josh-oconnor-the-crown-season-4-1601379212.jpg?crop=0.585xw:0.878xh;0.388xw,0.0390xh&resize=480:*

VO1219_VLife_Josh_01.jpg

josh-o-conno-rheader-936x1056-c-center.jpg

He looks Bondian. He almost looks like Ian Fleming facially. Although, I can't say I've seen him in anything to know if he can act really good.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    People are making fun of talos7's comment about Stuart Martin and his weak jawline, but just look at pictures to see what he's talking about. He definitely looks much worse without the beard:

mvou7a6kpgm3rxzeseqn.jpg

846309_v9_ba.jpg

That’s the same man?!?

It has to be said that there are much more flattering pictures of him with just stubble and not a full beard - he doesn’t seem to shave clean all that much - that I can’t seem to figure out a way to link to. Here for example: https://manofmetropolis.com/stuart-martin/

All in all, I don’t think he has the film resumé needed for Bond.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I think Josh O'Conner is a terrific actor, I loved him in 'The Crown' and 'The Durrells', and I find him quite attractive, there's an old school charm about him for me. Definitely on my shortlist.
    I think Josh O'Conner is a terrific actor, I loved him in 'The Crown' and 'The Durrells', and I find him quite attractive, there's an old school charm about him for me. Definitely on my shortlist.

Thanks @GadgetMan and @CharmianBond
    And yes, he's a great actor and not very popular like Cavill, Hardy, etc. So he can make Bond his own, he's still not playing a big and iconic character like those in Marvel or any superhero films, and he's handsome.
    For me, he's definitely worth a look.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

Prince Charles?
    Benny wrote: »
    I'd like to see Aidan with slightly shorter hair. Though the above photo is working quite well @JeremyBondon

hdz11wl8qnze.jpg
    esk1qr8lqw8v.jpg

And then there's this...
    fff1v07h8nzt.jpg

"Double O seven!"

"Double Ooooooooh Seven!"
    Is it important that the Bond actor should be appealing to female audiences or not?

Because, for all I know Male and Female have different criteria when it comes to the actors, I mean for example, Men didn't probably find Daniel Craig handsome, but Women does.
    The participators in this thread were mostly Male, I want to know the bets and thoughts of our Female members, I mean "Girls, do you find these men handsome?, Do you find them sexy?" Or something like that.

Because Bond has been seducing women, he's appealing to them, he's having sex with them.

They're all great actors, but is it important if Women find them attractive or not?

I'd say we tend to overlook women's criteria of beauty. They might not have same tastes of course, but when Craig was cast (and during his whole tenure actually), I found the biggest criticism about his appearance came from straight men. "He's ugly, he's not like Bond should look like". As if they have assumptions about male attractiveness, but no intrinsic way of knowing. I remember a secretary in the school where I work more than ten years ago, she had a Daniel Craig calendar. She didn't care all that much about Bond, she just found Craig hot. Intrinsic, instinctive attraction.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire

Prince Charles?

Beat me to it! :D
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Ludovico wrote: »

hdz11wl8qnze.jpg
    esk1qr8lqw8v.jpg

And then there's this...
    fff1v07h8nzt.jpg

"Double O seven!"

"Double Ooooooooh Seven!"

I'd say we tend to overlook women's criteria of beauty. They might not have same tastes of course, but when Craig was cast (and during his whole tenure actually), I found the biggest criticism about his appearance came from straight men. "He's ugly, he's not like Bond should look like". As if they have assumptions about male attractiveness, but no intrinsic way of knowing. I remember a secretary in the school where I work more than ten years ago, she had a Daniel Craig calendar. She didn't care all that much about Bond, she just found Craig hot. Intrinsic, instinctive attraction.

It is exactly that. Craig is hot to me at least.

I think likewise most men probably label Brosnan as attractive and I suppose aesthetically he really is... but for me he's gone better looking as he's gotten older and got that silver fox look about him. He was a little too handsome for my tastes but I can see the appeal for women who like that kind of thing.

As for the fella from the Crown... Yes, but does he have the cocktail sausage fingers? :P

On the pic I posted a few pages back... Not CGI. Photoshopped more likely. He's the "gigachad" meme and his name is Ernest Khalimov.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    latest?cb=20160614205522
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    latest?cb=20160614205522

lmao.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I'd like to see Aidan with slightly shorter hair.
    Sort of like this?

6dd5e40e3c93d2082a3b32293b0fe786.jpg

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    That's not bad, but it's still a little too long. I can't see Commander Bond having his hair quite like that. It's still too long in the front.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 3,272
    Venutius wrote: »

Prince Charles?

Beat me to it! :D

Yes he played Charles in The Crown. I think casting him as Bond could work, in a Fleming sort of way. I'd be on board with this choice.

Another choice would be Johnny Flynn who is playing Ian Fleming in the new film Operation Mincemeat. And he is a fan of the films and novels -

newFile.jpg?width=1200

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pushing Flynn for Bond with a clip where he is seated next to Isaacs doesn t do him any favours.