James Bond video games - REVIEWS ONLY

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited December 2022 in Reviews Posts: 23,536
Please post all reviews of the James Bond video games here.

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm going to start with a shocker, to be sure.

Tomorrow Never Dies
    Release year: 1999
    Platform: Sony PlayStation
    Players: 1
    ESRB: T

Here was a game that I found fun. I looked past the horrible (even for their time) graphics, the piss poor controls and crappy enemy AI and I saw a glimmer of hope - for some reason simply because whoever voiced Bond in this game (I want to say Adam Blackwood) sounded like Pierce Brosnan to me.

(on an interesting note: this was the last Brosnan film I ever saw, I saw DAD before TND, all because we could never find the film)

This game has not withstood the test of time, I'll admit that. Over the years I've become more and more critical of its shortcomings and failures, such as the bad targeting system (Satoshi Isagura is still one of the hardest bosses for me), the horrible skiing system and the overall poor level design.

This game is still fun for me, though. I still enjoy skiing off the mountain TSWLM-style and popping the Union Jack. I still enjoy shooting all the missiles off in the jet at the end of the arms bazaar. It's still fun for me to take the BMW 750 out on the road and destroy a convoy who's significance to the story I can't even remember. And to date, the last two levels of the game are my favorite of any PS1 Bond game.

Despite the years this game doesn't have going for it, and all of its flaws and failures, I still enjoy Tomorrow Never Dies. It still sees the inside of my PS2 every six-seven months when I feel like playing Bond games again.

Gameplay: 6/10
    Sound: 8/10
    Replay Value: 2/10
    Difficulty: 3/10
    Overall: 7/10
    007 Nightfire

I could stop there and everything would have been clear as crystal. This game is incredible- no game will ever beat it, and no game has beaten it. This fine piece of gaming history is what introduced me to the world of James Bond 007. My cousin David introduced me to this game on his old Playstation 2 about seven years ago now. I am forever grateful to him for that! I still play this game pretty much daily, whether it is taking down classic Bond villains on classic Bond maps or playing through the singleplayer levels which I have already beaten all too many times and practically the same way every time! This game has it all, and I do mean all. You've got Pierce Brosnan, the greatest 007 of all time, in the role of Bond. There are plenty of amazing weapons to use, fabulous Bond gadgets like a cell phone grappling hook and the ever popular laser watch! There are alternate paths to take in just about every level and plenty of thought-processed Bond moves which make you feel like you really are 007. There's a multiplayer which has never been beaten by any game yet, with limitless options and abilities. From Fort Knox to Atlantis, you can battle it out with the best of the worst- Oddjob, Jaws, Scaramanga, May Day, Xenia Onatopp, Max Zorin, Baron Samedi, Goldfinger, Renard, Elektra, and Nick Nack are all there at your disposal to kill or to play as. Even if a friend is not present, you can still play multiplayer against the bots, which for me never gets tiring! I could be able to go on and on all day about how fantastic this game is, but I'm sure everyone already knows that. 10 out 10, 100%, A+, whatever you want to call it, Nightfire has it!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Several posts were deleted because the members who posted them neglected the intentions of this review section.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Goldeneye 007 (Wii, 2010)

Story/Characters

A mix of similarities and differences keep it both faithful and fresh. I like how it takes the story of Goldeneye, but recasts the characters and makes it a story for Daniel Craig's Bond. Alterations to the movie's plot make it fascinating to see what happens next. Overall, the characters aren't memorable and the plot/acting won't win any awards.

Graphics

It's dated by 2017 standards, but a big step up from Goldeneye for N64. Locations look like more than just polygons as they used to. It's a good looking game considering the Wii's very limited hardware with no HD.

Controls

I like the Wii's controller for added precision and immersion. It's slightly better than a traditional control scheme, but it's mostly just a different - not miles better.

Gameplay (Story Mode)

Missions vary. Some bits are set pieces, some bit are story related, but most of it is first-person shooting. It's based on the original game, but it feels different. It's fun. Sometimes there are frustrating levels and sometimes it's easy to get stuck in an area not knowing where to go, but the pace is usually good. Enjoyable, but not much different than your usual action game.

Online Play

It still works surprisingly. Pool of players is limited and connectivity is sometimes an issue. It's a mix of the basic classic Goldeneye multiplayer, but it has a little bit of the look and feel of modern action games like Call of Duty. Goldeneye N64 invented this kind of multiplayer, but it's been done so many times before its a glutted market. I played this mode for an hour or two and I enjoyed it, but there's nothing that makes me want to come back to it.

Value

It's on ebay for under $10. For the money, it's a good deal, but there's also a lot of other games you could be playing that are just as good if not better. If you're a Bond fan and you're a Wii/U owner, it's worth a try if you keep your expectations reasonable.

6/10