Quick Big Mi6 Title Sequence Ranking Game

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero I didn’t participate this time, but I probably would have had three of the Brosnan Era Title Sequences in my Top Ten. With the other not far off.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The x-ray imagery and especially "the swan dive from a necklace of diamond satellites" as mentioned by @Some_Kind_Of_Hero and @GoldenGun are indeed great moments. However, a lot of the rest never sticked in my mind and I prefer the brighter colours of Kleinman's other works. I had it at 17 and it could also be a few spots higher.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 6,727
    The x-ray imagery and especially "the swan dive from a necklace of diamond satellites" as mentioned by @Some_Kind_Of_Hero and @GoldenGun are indeed great moments. However, a lot of the rest never sticked in my mind and I prefer the brighter colours of Kleinman's other works. I had it at 17 and it could also be a few spots higher.

Am not sure you could call 'SP' and 'SF.' as using brighter colours? I too prefer it when Kleinman uses colour, and was glad to see it being more prevalent in 'NTTD'! I remember commenting after 'SP' came out that maybe they needed to replace Daniel Kleinman, but my faith was restored after seeing NTTD! I would like to see him stay on for the next Bond
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Number 18:

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    Main title sequence designed by
    DANIEL KLEINMAN

wine_c.jpg?k=32fe244e8b

TWINE’s titles received one silver medal, one 5th place, one 6th place, one 7th place and one 9th place, giving it five top 10’s in total.

Unfortunately for Brosnan the Third, there were also two bottom 5’s: one 25th and one 23rd place.

Two more members did not have a place for this one in their top 20, both of them ranked it 22nd.

In total TWINE’s main title sequence received 78 points.
    19 placement for me! Again, some excellent imagery from Kleinman, the oil and water techniques were born for a title sequence, but the use of pumping rigs dont and dont look very appealing and it does become a bit repetitive! Still good though!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One of my favorites is ducking out early - I had TWINE in fifth place. I've always loved the explosion of colors and the darkness of the oil staining up the picture. Those opening shots of the title sequence as it begins (as seen in that first shot) are tremendous.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited March 2022 Posts: 1,664
    It could have been good, but it's just kind of hideous with the oily rainbows. This is also where Kleinman I think started spacing the text weirdly. Just in the image above, "Music by" feels like it's too far from "DAVID ARNOLD". 22
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had it at 17. Not a bad one, not particularly good. As usual, I appreciate that Kleinman clings to a theme rather than pile up random images, but the overall result lacks a bit of punch.
  • GBFGBF
    I think I gave it the silver medal.... Insane how bad its result finally is. I have always thought this title sequence was universally praised. How wrong I was... I still absolutely love it and think it is Just perfect .
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    It is a great one.
    I ranked it at #15.
    I like it that it is all about oil. The transition from the PTS to the titles is very cool. But it is true, that it is a bit repetitive after a while.
  • Not a fan of this one, and it's my least favourite from Kleinman's works. An oily idea taken to the extreme.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had TND at 16th and TWINE at 20th. I find the TWINE titles a relative rehash of those of TND. The latter certainly didn't work for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It is a great one.

It s the best part of the film.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero I didn’t participate this time, but I probably would have had three of the Brosnan Era Title Sequences in my Top Ten. With the other not far off.

Bringing Kleinman in was a tremendous boon for the series.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Number 18:

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    DANIEL KLEINMAN

My lowest rated of Brosnan's and third lowest of Kleinman's, but I still really like this one a lot. Who knew the concept of oil could be used so imaginatively? I particularly like the use of rainbow colors inspired by the sight of the sun's reflection in a patch of oil. Great way to give the titles some color. The transition from Bond falling is particularly well done too.
    Our number 17:

A VIEW TO A KILL
    MAURICE BINDER

avtak_c.jpg?k=a7c2b7aef0

After some Kleinman we’re back with an 80’s Binder title, this one performing slightly better than most of its contemporaries.

Five top 10’s were noted for AVTAK’s blacklight ski trip: a 2nd, a 4th, a 6th, a 7th and an 8th spot, each on one occasion.

There were also two bottom 5’s: one 26th and one 25th place.

AVTAK’s main title sequence obtained a total of 78 points.

That’s exactly the same total as TWINE.
    To decide the 17th place a very tense toss-up between these two ensued.

In addition to both obtaining one silver medal, they both ended up with five top 10’s and two bottom 5’s. Furthermore, they were awarded the same amount of top 20’s. So in the end the toss-up was decided by the one top half finish that AVTAK ended up having more than TWINE. So cheers for whoever put AVTAK 11th, you scored a golden goal.
    I had AVTAK at 18 spot. While I applaud Binders efforts to try some different with fluorescent colours, it doesnt really work! There are a few nice moments, the ice statue, and the neon ladies towards the end, but it doesnt have the impact it should. Its no surprise Binder returned to more safer ground for the next one! ( which was of course TLD, and I was expecting something special, which didnt happen!)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had this one at 20. It's a good sequence, but too much glowing for my taste.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had this way up at number seven. It's very underrated.

Binder had some ideas on this one, and he had a definite aesthetic which I think worked. I also love how almost every shot of the sequence transitions organically to the next one, instead of fading out on an image and then bringing in something new.

And the reused shot of Roger turning and shooting, supplemented by the weird shooting effect (that fits with the music), is a great little moment.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I put this at 26. It has some nice moments, such as Bond in the crosshairs, which is awesome. The song is also great, but unfortunately that glowing glossy lady pretending to ski, with awful makeup and lighted by hideous colours is just too much. What was the point?
    The images of women with fluorescent makeup are so damned cool!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had AVTAK at 19th. So not too far off. Some nice touches here and there, but on the whole rather mediocre.
    The fluro paint rather dates it. Binder has done much, much better.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The images of women with fluorescent makeup are so damned cool!

Same here. I had AVTAK at number 8.
    IMO this is (with FYEO) Binder's best 1980s work.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 4,378
    I definitely prefer it to the other (FYEO) 80's sequence still in the game. Love the moment when the woman is unzipping her jacket and the red 007 logo can be seen.
    I ranked it at #16.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    14th for me. I dig a few shots and I love the use of the color; doesn't really stand out in any way as one of the best, though, and some of it is very dated looking these days.
    AVTAK ranked 4th for me in this one. Bring me those 80’s vibes!! :))
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Wow, I ranked this one 2nd! A little too generous, I think. A 'glowing' tribute.
  • I was the remaining top 10 for this sequence drenched in 80s style. It works particularly well with the song. I like the contrast between the black backdrops and the fluorescents, and I also enjoy the fire and ice theme, which may not have much to do with the film itself but which does in fact perfectly suit the song's mostly nonsensical lyrics: "Feel the chill" / "Dance into the fire" / "Fall of snowflakes on your body" / "The phoenix for the flame."
    I only missed seeing the lover's rosy stain.
    Moving onwards with our number 16, this entry’s highest finish in any competition I would imagine:

DIE ANOTHER DAY
    DANNY KLEINMAN

dad_c.jpg?k=8c10182c79

Daniel becomes Danny for Kleinman’s third title sequence of the franchise, incorporating a continuation of the plot during the titles for the first time.

Two 4th places were noted, together with a 6th, a 7th and a 10th spot, each on one occasion, DAD received a total of five top 10’s.

Two bottom 5’s were also noted, a 25th and a 26th place. Two more members placed this one outside their top 20, ranking it 21st and 22nd.

DAD’s title main sequence obtained a total of 79 points.