Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

It’s bait and switch time again folks! What else do you expect from a Kathleen Kennedy production?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I'm looking forward to this one: can't wait to hear Williams' theme.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited March 2022 Posts: 648
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    It’s bait and switch time again folks! What else do you expect from a Kathleen Kennedy production?

I agree with the video. They're going to shoehorn another Mary Sue character in so that she's the one who saves Obi Wan or Young Luke or something, like how they had Rey defeat the emperor, stealing Luke's victory in ROTJ.
    slide_99 wrote: »

I agree with the video. They're going to shoehorn another Mary Sue character in so that she's the one who saves Obi Wan or Young Luke or something, like how they had Rey defeat the emperor, stealing Luke's victory in ROTJ.

Yep.Bet she gets her own spin off show too.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

like how they had Rey defeat the emperor, stealing Luke's victory in ROTJ.

Luke didn’t throw the Emperor down the shaft. Have you actually seen it?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I saw it. The Emperor died in ROTJ. Period.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Unfortunately,Jar Jar Abrams thought he’d bring him back because Jar Jar Abrams is incapable of original ideas.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Unfortunately,Jar Jar Abrams thought he’d bring him back because Jar Jar Abrams is incapable of original ideas.

'Jar Jar Abrams' is still as funny now as it was the first time I read it, 500 times ago.

'Jar Jar Abrams' is still as funny now as it was the first time I read it, 500 times ago.

Don’t forget his production company...Bad Reboot!

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Don’t forget his production company...Bad Reboot!

Gas.
    I’m really looking forward to the Obi Wan show.
    Between the animation and live action, these Disney + shows have all been fantastic!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm cautiously optimistic for the Kenobi show because of Ewan McGregor and the fact that Obi-Wan is possibly my favourite character in all of Star Wars.

I don't have much nice to say about the Boba Fett show, but I loved The Mandalorian so I'm hoping the quality is in tune with the latter.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA

Luke redeemed Vader and Vader threw the emperor down the shaft. So yes, it was Luke's victory, that's why he survives and it's called Return of the Jedi.

EDIT: unless we view Anakin as the Chosen One as Lucas does, in which case defeating the Emperor is his victory, not Luke's, and Rey is stealing his victory, which is just as bad.

Luke redeemed Vader and Vader threw the emperor down the shaft. So yes, it was Luke's victory, that's why he survives and it's called Return of the Jedi.

It’s actually a reference to Anakin’s return.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optimistic for the Kenobi show because of Ewan McGregor and the fact that Obi-Wan is possibly my favourite character in all of Star Wars.

I don't have much nice to say about the Boba Fett show, but I loved The Mandalorian so I'm hoping the quality is in tune with the latter.

I'd had fun with all of their SW series up to now: I agree that I preferred Mando but I didn't feel Boba to be a disaster at all so I'm sure this one will be pretty fun.
    I don't know how long I will keep thinking that though: we've got Andor and Ashoka after this haven't we? Hopefully it won't get samey.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2022 Posts: 17,687

Yes, that's what it meant to all of us back in 1983.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA

Before the prequels came out I always took ROTJ to be a reference to Luke, since he's the last remaining Jedi at the end. With the prequels, it can definitely be seen as referencing Anakin's return, or maybe both of them since "Jedi" can also be plural.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 8,000
    It’s almost as if it depends greatly on one’s point of view. :-?

That all said, I don’t mind that things go bad with TFA because 30 years of peace is still a significant accomplishment. If we take the rise of the First Order as “undoing” what the heroes accomplished, then in reality we’ve never accomplished anything. We still have our wars. The First World War was dubbed “the war to end all wars” and then only 20 years later oops we fell into that trap again.

My only real concern as far as sequels go is how TROS feels more like a hiccup in terms of narrative. As much as I love seeing Ian McDiarmid ham it up, there was literally no reason to bring him back.
    The only explanation they really gave for Palpatines return was a line from Poe when he says...

“ Somehow,Palpatine returned “

That’s become a meme at this point.Originally Kylo Renn was going to be the main villain of TROS ( Called Duel Of The Fates in original director Colin Trevorrows script ) but Disney panicked when they saw the backlash to TLJ,Fired Trevorrow,and called in Jar Jar Abrams to make another safe rehash.

Not interested in the Andor series as the character was barely interesting in the Rogue One movie and the actor who plays him went on a Twitter rant last year about white people and their “ privilege “.

Ashoka I’m actually excited about as she is one of my favourite Star Wars characters and Rosario Dawson is perfect casting.It all depends on the show runners.

The Acolyte is shaping up to be a disaster,as the showrunner is Harvey Weinsteins former assistant who has admitted she was never a fan of the franchise,and her top priority with the show
    Is “ female and queer representation “.
    The only explanation they really gave for Palpatines return was a line from Poe when he says...

That’s become a meme at this point.Originally Kylo Renn was going to be the main villain of TROS ( Called Duel Of The Fates in original director Colin Trevorrows script ) but Disney panicked when they saw the backlash to TLJ,Fired Trevorrow,and called in Jar Jar Abrams to make another safe rehash

You’re getting the production timeline out of order. Trevorrow’s firing, Abrams’ hiring. and bringing back the Emperor was already in place well BEFORE TLJ was released.

That’s become a meme at this point.Originally Kylo Renn was going to be the main villain of TROS ( Called Duel Of The Fates in original director Colin Trevorrows script ) but Disney panicked when they saw the backlash to TLJ,Fired Trevorrow,and called in Jar Jar Abrams to make another safe rehash

You’re getting the production timeline out of order. Trevorrow’s firing, Abrams’ hiring. and bringing back the Emperor was already in place well BEFORE TLJ was released.

Yup.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 1,394

Did a little fact checking and you are actually right.Trevorrow left in September 2017 due to “ creative differences “ with Kathleen Kennedy ( Nothing new for her then ).

However,the finished film of Episode 9 is clearly an about face from TLJ as the film was being rewritten and reshot all during production.They basically ignore everything Ruin Johnson did ( including a dubbed in line to explain The Holdo manoeuvre as “ one shot in a million “).

They clearly had no game plan for this trilogy ( Though Carrie Fishers untimely death obviously threw a spanner into the works even further ).
    edited March 2022 Posts: 8,000
    They didn’t “ignore” everything in TLJ, but I think it’s clear Abrams and Terrio didn’t even understand TLJ, which is actually kind of worse in a way. Regarding stuff he did incorporate from TLJ, I actually like the way Abrams used the Force communication.

I do think it’s ironic that people criticize the sequels for not having a “game plan”, when even Lucas himself had no game plan for when he did the OT. Vader being Luke’s father was completely made up when TESB was written. In fact, the first draft by Leigh Brackett had no mention of it. Even Luke’s sister was originally thought to be someone that would be introduced way later in the sequel trilogy, but then Lucas decided to make it Leia so to give Luke a strong motivating factor to turn to the dark side.

I have no issue with the revolving door method Disney originally tried, but it’s clear Abrams was not the right person to go to finishing a trilogy. The stuff Trevorrow had planned seemed promising but I’m not even sure he would have pulled it off.

Another mistake by Disney was to rush these films. The previous trilogies had the benefit of three year cycles. With the sequels, Disney chose to release a film every other year which gave a much shorter window for productions that it clearly did not help TROS, especially in light of Fisher‘s death.
    They could have quite easily improved the trilogy. Carrie fisher died before TLJ came out. Re edit it so Leia does the holdo move, and make Luke really appear in person at the end to redeem his character. Then if he survives have him hang around for the last one
    They seriously considered killing Leia off midway in post after Fisher's death, but decided against it purely because they wanted to have that one scene with Leia interacting with Luke kept in the film. I think they made the right call.

I really have no major gripes over how TFA and TLJ turned out, even though I was critical of what directions TFA went. TLJ actually did about 90% of what I actually wanted to see out of a follow up to TFA, like having Kylo Ren kill Snoke in order to not only take over the First Order but also surpass his own grandfather's ambitions.

I get that some think TLJ was "boring", but some accused TESB the same. So whatever.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    "Lindelof"

Sweet Jesus, this is the guy the studios send to kill a franchise.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 9,730
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Just thinking how often we go to tattooine. The planet the farthest from the bright centre to the universe.

Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 6
    Episode 9 (although jakku is tattooine rebooted in episode 7)

The Mandolorian
    Book of boba fett

Kenobi

Think that’s it…

they must have gone during the clone wars a bunch of times

I love star wars but with all the tatooine I get annoyed because I hate sand it's so coarse and it gets everywhere
    Should we take Luke’s word as gospel?