Quick Big Mi6 Title Sequence Ranking Game

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I like Lulu's song a lot. The title sequence alone doesn't do much for me. It used water in a different way and the dancing woman works with the song.
    All in all, the first sequence of the series which is a bit forgettable. I ranked it at 24.
  • GBFGBF
    I had it at 16. I think the golden gun is iconic but underused in the title sequence. The use of colour is nice but like many on Binder's works the sequence loses steam after the first minute.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's nowhere near the worst, I actually ranked it at 13th. I love the usage of colors and the girls, but beyond that, quite generic.

Same here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I like Lulu's song a lot. The title sequence alone doesn't do much for me. It used water in a different way and the dancing woman works with the song.
    All in all, the first sequence of the series which is a bit forgettable. I ranked it at 24.

Her song used to be one of my least favorites in the series but I've started to warm to it over the last few years.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love the song: TMWTGG is a killer tune and Lulu blasts her pipes wide open. It's an underrated gem, IMO.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I love the song: TMWTGG is a killer tune and Lulu blasts her pipes wide open. It's an underrated gem, IMO.

She certainly handles the highs and lows very well; when she's singing more softly and sensually, it's beautiful, but it's also catchy as hell when she belts it out. Definitely had a more positive reassessment of this one lately.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

She certainly handles the highs and lows very well; when she's singing more softly and sensually, it's beautiful, but it's also catchy as hell when she belts it out. Definitely had a more positive reassessment of this one lately.

Given what little time there was to compose the song (and music) for the film, I'm quite pleased with the results. And yes, when she belts it out, I'm gettin' in to da groove, baby. ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Moving onwards with our number 22:

OCTOPUSSY
    Main title sequence designed by
    MAURICE BINDER

o_c.jpg?k=43b77468dc

OP manages to escape the bottom 5 thanks to one participant in particular, who gave it the bronze medal, making OP the lowest ranked entry with a podium finish.

One other member placed OP in his/her top 10, which turned out to be a 10th spot.

With four bottom 5’s it doesn’t do to terribly poor at that end, but it did receive one bottom finish. Together with MR’s single last place, these were the only two instances someone did not rate either CR67 or NSNA as the worst title sequence.

OP’s main title sequence received a total of 58 points, the same as TMWTGG’s, but it wins the toss-up by way of more medals.
  • GBFGBF
    That is not too surprising. I had assumed it to be even lower. I had it at #24.
  • Ah, Octopussy, Octopussy...gone too soon in my estimation. It just eked into my Top 10. This one really is all about the colors and the 80s style for me, and I do like the mimicry of the Octopussy tattoo with the laser. I get why others wouldn't like this one. The bit where the arms holding guns wrap around that shot of Moore is a bit of a head-scratcher (three on one side, two on the other, just like, um, a mangled octopus?), but the titles work so well with the song and with this particular film. But I do get why this one didn't breach a whole bunch of others' Top 10s.
    Yes, I had it low down, didnt expect it to do well either, love it with the theme song, but judged on its own, its distinctly lacking! It does have a nice dissolve into the titles with the hands closing, similar to TSWLM!
    20th for me. I love the film but the title sequence is severely lacking. The little red symbols are a bit overused and there's not much in the way of variety.
    Another one that I love that ends up pretty low. I know most fans are not too fond of Binder's later efforts, but I very much am and this one is my favourite of that period.

Love the blueish-purplish colour patterns and that use of lasers. It's so 80's and I absolutely adore it. Third place for me.

I suppose my taste in these is quite different than most. Already three from my top 10 are out.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Another one that I love that ends up pretty low. I know most fans are not too fond of Binder's later efforts, but I very much am and this one is my favourite of that period.

Love the blueish-purplish colour patterns and that use of lasers. It's so 80's and I absolutely adore it. Third place for me.

I suppose my taste in these is quite different than most. Already three from my top 10 are out.

They were very hard to rank, as I enjoy all the titles sequences. I reckon Kleinman is going to feature highly in the top 10, but he had a lot more tools to play with, but I always admire Binders work, and by all accounts he was a lovely man ( who drove the Producers mad as he was always late with his titles, but always delivered, according to John Glen)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had Octopussy in last. It's the only title sequence I find embarrassing to watch.

It's got a lot of bad ideas badly implemented. Roger with five arms wrapped around him? It looks like crap, and the movie isn't called "Pentapussy". I don't know what it's supposed to be. A silhouette of either Mischka or Grischka on roller skates swinging a woman around? Why? A woman with string covering her nipples smiling wide at the camera? Completely artless.

There's even a shot that appears to include a reflection of someone's head that isn't meant to be seen. Could fit thematically with a Guy Hamilton joint perhaps, but not with this movie (one of my favorites).

I don't hate all the 1980s titles: FYEO, AVTAK, and LTK are all pretty decent. But they all feature an unfortunate trend of showing well-lit faces of models, some of whom are grinning like morons and making eye contact with the viewer. The silhouettes are a bit thematic or symbolic; showing random models' faces is just, well, random.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    At times, Binder was like a school boy starting on his homework at the very last minute. His heart wasn t always in it.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,447
    At times, Binder was like a school boy starting on his homework at the very last minute. His heart wasn t always in it.
    Agreed. He often produced interesting images, but they didn't always tell a cohesive "story" so to speak. A general theme was frequently missing. Also, I love and admire Binder's work, but it was Brownjohn who showed him how to make the titles sexy.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had LTK at 25th and TMWTGG at 24th. However OP isn't in the ball park quite yet for me. I have it ranked at 18th. Not a top entry for me...I know OP!
    The titles are ok, and clearly there are lesser title sequences, but this is all 80's mediocre. Binder is playing it safe by this time in his career, something reflected in his next two title sequences, which are all quite similar.
    We can almost dive into the top 20, but let’s first discuss our number 21:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    Main title sequence designed by
    MAURICE BINDER

lc_c.jpg?k=51198e67e9

The Dalton films are both already out of the competition, with also his first entry stranding just outside the top 20.

TLD’s highest finishes were one 7th, one 11th and three 14th spots.

Five bottom 5’s were counted. Two of those ended up in 25th position, while the three others ended up 23rd.

TLD’s title sequence obtained 59 points in total.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 6,727
    Again, being biased I did place TLD quite high, I am one of the 14th spots, but I prefer LTKs titles. Daltons debut film should have made Binder up his game, but he didnt, and we get a servicable title sequence, nice, but nothing to get excited about. Its such a pity Daniel Kleinman didnt come on the scene around then, but anyway, it is what it is! Still like it though!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,378
    I ranked it very low, #25. Only better than LTK and NSNA. I rewatched it for this game and couldn't find anything remarkable about this sequence. Well, the woman in the end is attractive ;)
    I had it at 14. Hard to put it any higher as we kinda move into some top tier work within a few spots, but I've always loved the atmosphere this one has. Suits the song really well.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    23 for me. Binder didn't seem to have any ideas at all here. Lots of hands coming from offscreen firing guns, and more well-lit faces looking at the camera. I can't believe they actually built a woman-sized glass for that model to stand in. So goofy.

The only worse efforts from EON, in my view, are OP and DAF. I will be fascinated to hear what is apparently so good about the latter....
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

The only worse efforts from EON, in my view, are OP and DAF. I will be fascinated to hear what is apparently so good about the latter....

Cat Lovers of the World Unite !!!! =))
  • GBFGBF
    I had it at 18. Not great but I quite like the atmosphere. I still wonder however why Binder did not use the cello as a major plot device in the titles. For whatever reason he focussed on a champaigne glass. What does that have to do with the Film? Does it refer to the lady on the boat in the PTS?
    Another one that I quite like, though I must admit the other 80’s titles are better.

Still though, I love the gunshot that presents Timothy Dalton to us, the sunglasses that accompany Maryam’s credit and, when your host was a teenager, he used to have a slight crush on the lady in the champagne glass at the end ;)
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    Another one that I quite like, though I must admit the other 80’s titles are better.

Still though, I love the gunshot that presents Timothy Dalton to us, the sunglasses that accompany Maryam’s credit and, when your host was a teenager, he used to have a slight crush on the lady in the champagne glass at the end ;)

We all have our reasons for liking this, that, or the other in the series. It's all subjective in the end anyway!

The titles for TLD are kind of noirish with lots of smoke, sunglasses and wide-rimmed hats, and rain falling before headlights. The more I think about it the more I realize Binder's sequences during the 80s were all starting to include the same tropes and effects, but they nevertheless captured the essence of the decade well.
    I like this one. It feels fresh and modern. Also, the blonde at the end looks lovely indeed.
    It's always nice when one of these aligns with my exact ranking; came in at 21st for me, too, just another one that feels a bit too repetitive and dull. I can only view so many of those guns being drawn and pointed (which looks like some sort of interactive book cover nonsense) before I check out.
    I was the one who had this sequence at number 7, by the way. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. ;-)