The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I can see that becoming a proper competitor. Wonder what the pricerange is going to be. Looks pretty cool. The presenter sure thinks it's increadable. Does he get payed extra per how many times he can get that in the video?

it isn't as original and breakthrough as they make it though. It's rather a copy-cat idea:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/afdhelaziz/2020/11/19/why-lightyear-is-the-most-game-changing-car-company-on-the-planet/?sh=6c228f1371ee

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Cadillac InnerSpace Concept

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,311
    More controversy from BMW. Have they lost the plot?

• KenAustinKenAustin United States
    zebrafish wrote: »
    More controvery from BMW. Have they lost the plot?

I haven't looked back on BMWs since I got rid of my 2012...in my opinion the styling is becoming increasingly generic

BMW now with electric colour change. Similar tech as that known from eBook readers.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    KenAustin wrote: »

I haven't looked back on BMWs since I got rid of my 2012...in my opinion the styling is becoming increasingly generic

I wouldn't call it generic, but plainly and unapologetically butt-ugly. Disclaimer/disclosure: I still have an E93 330d convertible, which I find a beautiful car, and which I will keep until it breaks down irretrievably (which, at 14 years and 200,000 km +, may not be too far away). Thirty-some years ago, I also had an E30 316i two-door, for a start. But I wouldn't even consider buying any of those optical atrocities BMW is offering today. Regardless of whether it's internal combustion or electric of any kind.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861

BMW now with electric colour change. Similar tech as that known from eBook readers.

Yeah it looks amazing, I love it. Watching a white car become a black car is pretty incredible: it's shocking Bond hasn't had one of these already! (Yes I know the Vanquish was a step beyond it in a way :) )
    Although my friend made a good point: you have to tell the DVLA what colour your car is when you register it! :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    That one will definately be popular with bankrobbers.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    KenAustin wrote: »

I wouldn't call it generic, but plainly and unapologetically butt-ugly. Disclaimer/disclosure: I still have an E93 330d convertible, which I find a beautiful car, and which I will keep until it breaks down irretrievably (which, at 14 years and 200,000 km +, may not be too far away). Thirty-some years ago, I also had an E30 316i two-door, for a start. But I wouldn't even consider buying any of those optical atrocities BMW is offering today. Regardless of whether it's internal combustion or electric of any kind.

yep, I was considering BMW's before, but that idea is completely out of the window.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    My last BMW was a 2012 335i turbo coupe with the M package...ridiculously beautiful car, silver over a black leather interior. I miss that car. But lately they have gotten more generic looking, the interiors are no longer the luxury interiors they used to be and even the engines have taken a hit for small turbo charged 4 cylinders instead of 6s...about the only advances they have made are in the price of the services that have become increasingly more numerous over time. What used to be "break-in" mileage is not "trade-in" mileage....a shame...I think the reputation has taken a hit in recent years and I likely would not recommend them.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Is anybody here a contributor or member of the automotive media?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have never been a fan of BMW, but they haven't looked right since they dropped the Shark-nosed front end that they used to have.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,419
    I have never been a fan of BMW, but they haven't looked right since they dropped the Shark-nosed front end that they used to have.

I believe pedestrian safety standards (and public perception thereof) led to the downfall of the sharknose. The pointiest the front of a modern mass-production car can probably be to pass safety is probably the current Camaro.
    Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 from Bad Boys for auction – UPDATE: Sold for $2 million
    eooaptwofklvokvjjudh
    https://www.drive.com.au/news/porsche-964-turbo-3-6-from-bad-boys-up-for-auction/
    LucknFate wrote: »

I believe pedestrian safety standards (and public perception thereof) led to the downfall of the sharknose. The pointiest the front of a modern mass-production car can probably be to pass safety is probably the current Camaro.

Shark-noses can be done, it's just a matter of courage, but certainly not under the current director of design at BMW.

BMW-CS-Vintage-Concept-1200x800-36c182f6e9a2343a.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's just a design concept though (it's not even real, just a CG render): it doesn't have to follow any actual safety rules.
    But this, from a direct competitor, is real and it's legal. No excuses anymore for BMW.

30LDtXLPlu23tFD3nbpvqM-26a9cd6984a0e6fc5f8087137864cbb5-Mercedes-AMG-A-45-S-4MATIC-front-side-1100.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's extremely rounded...? I don't see how that's pointier than the BM pictured above.
    It's the angle.

b59699c0db23cb1310769bcbda787e0b.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I guess..? It’s not exactly a shark. I’m not quite sure what the issue is anyway. It feels quite an arbitrary thing to point and say that the way the nose slants is what made BMWs pretty. I think the Z3 and Z4 was very pretty cars and they very much didn't do that, there are many others.
    £744k David Brown Speedback Silverstone Edition
    speedback_silverstone_edition_11.jpg?w=1952&h=1098
    speedback_silverstone_edition_13.jpg?w=1952&h=1098

I saw this on a street in Paris this thursday :

402532-2021-rolls-royce-cullinan.jpg

A SUV by Rolls Royce ? What will they think of next ?
    edited February 2022 Posts: 1,419
    Gerard wrote: »

I've driven it and been driven in it. Warning: it sinks in sand after it rains in Palm Springs, it weighs too much. In fact it's possible I've driven the very car photo'd, as that appears to be Palm Springs, where BMW hosts events at Thermal Club multiple times a year. And I wasn't even in the armored version.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

I've driven it and been driven in it. Warning: it sinks in sand after it rains in Palm Springs, it weighs too much. In fact it's possible I've driven the very car photo'd, as that appears to be Palm Springs, where BMW hosts events at Thermal Club multiple times a year. And I wasn't even in the armored version.
    Yep, saw one two weeks ago in Odessa, Ukraine. It's a bit of a beast.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Maybe this was covered earlier.

autobloglogo_320x100.png
    David Brown's newest Mini Remastered is a tribute to
    James Bond's Lotus Esprit

It's the Singer of the classic Mini world
    Ronan Glon | Mar 6th 2020

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/06/david-brown-mini-remastered-james-bond-lotus-tribute-simon-cowell/#slide-2215038

david-brown-automotive-mini-james-bond-esprit-1.jpg

david-brown-mini-remastered-james-bond-8.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Enjoyable numberplate on the new Lotus :)

6-Lotus-Emira-track.jpg?w=1784&h=1004

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/emira/first-drive-0
    edited March 2022 Posts: 4,311
    A new concept from Polestar/Volvo. Looks like a middle-engine car, but it would be fully electric.

Polestar-O2-Elektro-Roadster-gegen-Porsche-718-Elektro-Roadster-AUTOmativ.de-21.jpg

Polestar-O2-Elektro-Roadster-gegen-Porsche-718-Elektro-Roadster-AUTOmativ.de-20.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Oh yes I caught a glimpse of this the other day, thanks for posting it: they really do do stylish forward thinking rather well.
    Although seeing their cars on the road it's that standard thing of when they make a concept car a reality it has lost much of what made it unique and fresh. They just look like the other cars.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Not sure why all these electric cars look like space vehicles. Elegance really went out of the window for most them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think that is a pretty elegant, crisp design.
    If Volvo made Ferraris, they would look like this. It clearly shows that it is a Volvo, the side lines of the doors and under the doors, as well as the lights, clearly shout Volvo. And the general shape harks back to the best of the 70ies supercars (Maserati Merak and Bora, Lambo Urraco, De Tomaso Pantera, BMW M1). A feast for the eyes.